Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Caning aka corporal punishment.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Who thinks that we should bring this back in schools in certain cases?

One of the themes in the Grammar school thread was that there is no discipline in many schools.

I was caned or as we called it got the jacks at school. While some of it was for petty reasons and not doing work etc which I'd often refuse to bend for.

However it was used to dish out punishment for bullying and other serious stuff, like theft.

It bizarrely could induce comradery amongst the guys as you lined up outside the office deciding who went first and last.

Apart from a stinging it never had a long term effect and whilst there was the odd vindictive master most treated the boys fairly.

I know it will never be reintroduced but I am just gathering people's thoughts.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes definitely!

over a year ago

Don't you know already... The cane is back in fashion and folk love it

over a year ago

No adult has the right or can ever justify using violence against a child.

over a year ago

Nope. I do think there is a problem with low level bad behaviour and disruption in schools but I don't think corporal punishment is the answer.

over a year ago

"No adult has the right or can ever justify using violence against a child.

"

Tell that to the teacher that got stabbed to death by the pupil...

over a year ago

Absolutely not.

Someone who needs to use physical force to teach a child has no place in education.

over a year ago

Never did me any harm. Ma'am. (Maniacal laughter follows).

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Taser would be more up to date and effective

over a year ago

Tell that to the teacher that got stabbed to death by the pupil..."

If you mean self defence, I think most people realise that is totally different to using violenbe as a punishment

over a year ago

I think that they should at least consider bringing back some form of it in schools.

It had gone by the time I was at school but had A few teachers that were good with their aim of the board rubber.

I haven't heard anyone that got caned at school say it was a bad thing... But things have gone to far to bring it back now.. as the kids wouldn't accept that level of discipline... Nor would the parents of the children that required it for the most.

Many will not even allow their kids to stop for detention these days.

I got the belt and slipper at home but once got the ruler across my Hand by a teacher for being cheeky.

over a year ago

"I think that they should at least consider bringing back some form of it in schools.

It had gone by the time I was at school but had A few teachers that were good with their aim of the board rubber.

I haven't heard anyone that got caned at school say it was a bad thing... But things have gone to far to bring it back now.. as the kids wouldn't accept that level of discipline... Nor would the parents of the children that required it for the most.

I got the belt and slipper at home but once got the ruler across my Hand by a teacher for being cheeky. "

My Dad thought it was a terrible thing. He was always getting called up for the cane. One day the headmaster decided he was going to do it bloody hard to teach him a lesson, so my Dad turned round and broke his nose. Never got the cane again, funnily enough.

As he said, it never stopped him doing the things he was doing. If you don't mind the pain then it's not a deterrent. And if someone does it harder, you just turn round and thump the teacher.

over a year ago

Tell that to the teacher that got stabbed to death by the pupil...

If you mean self defence, I think most people realise that is totally different to using violenbe as a punishment"

So when you said

" or can ever justify"

You actually meant "can totally justify"

Cause you have just justified violence against a child by saying self defence.

That's what justification is.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

I was beaten every single day from the age of 8 to 13, either with a cane, or the tawse. It never did me any harm.

But then, it never did me any good either, if it had, perhaps I wouldn't have needed beating every. single. day.

The problem in schools is rarely the children, but generally the parents. You can bet if they brought it back, the ones who needed it most would get an exemption note from their parents.

It's amazing how much more effective firm, consistent kindness is than fear.

Mr ddc

over a year ago

"I think that they should at least consider bringing back some form of it in schools.

I got the belt and slipper at home but once got the ruler across my Hand by a teacher for being cheeky.

My Dad thought it was a terrible thing. He was always getting called up for the cane. One day the headmaster decided he was going to do it bloody hard to teach him a lesson, so my Dad turned round and broke his nose. Never got the cane again, funnily enough.

As he said, it never stopped him doing the things he was doing. If you don't mind the pain then it's not a deterrent. And if someone does it harder, you just turn round and thump the teacher."

If my dad had done that to a teacher at school he would have got a good hiding from my grandparents....My dad got canned a few times but mostly he tried to avoid the humiliation aspect of it... And because once you got home your parents would add to it .

over a year ago

As he said, it never stopped him doing the things he was doing. If you don't mind the pain then it's not a deterrent. And if someone does it harder, you just turn round and thump the teacher.

If my dad had done that to a teacher at school he would have got a good hiding from my grandparents....My dad got canned a few times but mostly he tried to avoid the humiliation aspect of it... And because once you got home your parents would add to it . "

My grandparents didn't agree with using physical violence against anybody.

They'd both seen too much of that in the war.

They were perfectly happy to give out non-violent sanctions when required. Which worked.

over a year ago

I think it's time we implemented chain gangs in schools for the bad uns

over a year ago

If my dad had done that to a teacher at school he would have got a good hiding from my grandparents....My dad got canned a few times but mostly he tried to avoid the humiliation aspect of it... And because once you got home your parents would add to it . "

As an aside, my mother used to slap my legs when I was naughty when I was a child. Hard. Really hard.

Turns out that I had more stubborn willpower than she did strength in her hand though.

over a year ago

No way i would hate to think of my daughters being canned.

Yes i do like doing but it is always a part of consenual play

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

why use caning when for the vast majority, kids are well behaved? There was always one or two tear-away kids in a year - no cane would have ever brought those I knew round. Would those condoning it go to a bullwhip?

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"No way i would hate to think of my daughters being canned.

Yes i do like doing but it is always a part of consenual play "

You REALLY need to re-word that....

over a year ago

From my 7 years experience of working in a secondary school I learnt that the naughty children,who you would have caned,weren't naughty because they enjoyed it or did it deliberately. You have to assume that children and teenagers are human beings to understand why you shouldn't beat them into submission.

over a year ago

"

Thank you

* I would hate to think of my daughters being canned

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

if a teacher has the right to hit my kids, I should have the same right to hit them. I'd do it harder. They'd learn from that not to do it again. Right?

over a year ago

If you went to work and had an argument with a colleague or threw a paddy when something didn't go how you wanted it to would you be happy to hold your hand out and be beaten? We could extend this to adulterers being stoned or thieves having their hands cut off. Tell a lie and lose your tongue maybe. As to not turning up for detention,you found yourself excluded if you missed your final chance and permanently excluded if you carried on.

over a year ago

Im usually quite resonable but if any teacher whether head teacher or not was to cane one of my kids i would bat that teacher to a pulp with a bat whatever the reason it was they did it in the first place dont believe in it what so ever.

over a year ago

here

Classrooms are missing respect

over a year ago

"Classrooms are missing respect "

They are... The kids know they have more rights than the teachers and parents most of the time...

over a year ago

Discipline should come from home not from schools. Teachers are there to teach not bring up our kids

By *otman1aMan
over a year ago

galway

Yes it should be I totally agree the cane should be used

over a year ago

here

"Classrooms are missing respect

Discipline should come from home not from schools. Teachers are there to teach not bring up our kids "

Discipline and respect are different

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

violence does not engender respect, only fear..

i agree that there are with some kids an issue with behaviour etc but using the cane or the pe plimsoll is not the answer..

over a year ago

Discipline should come from home not from schools. Teachers are there to teach not bring up our kids "

respect and discipline are two different things though... My sons school thanked me for "backing " up their punishment.. apparently not all parents do... I couldn't imagine doing what I have seen some parents do... Which is have a go at the teachers for punishing their kids.. I would be so apologetic.

Lucky for me only one of mine ever gets into any bother at all. and that's normally for cheek... but he doesn't like the punishments at home if he gets into trouble at school...

By *ong riderMan
over a year ago

belfast

"Taser would be more up to date and effective"

hehehe

over a year ago

"Absolutely not.

Someone who needs to use physical force to teach a child has no place in education."

over a year ago

They are... The kids know they have more rights than the teachers and parents most of the time... "

My husband gets at least a few parents a week phoning up or coming in to complain that he has confiscated a phone, put a kid in detention, told them off, sent them out the class or whatever sanction has been given for their child breaking school rules. I can't imagine what those parents would do if their little darlings got a thwack with a stick.

over a year ago

i agree that there are with some kids an issue with behaviour etc but using the cane or the pe plimsoll is not the answer.."

I used to feel the force of a slipper or a stick when I was little ( I have no resentment towards ) it was because I was badly behaved but mainly because I would answer back or not study.

All it succeeded in doing was making me fearful of my parents it was until I was in my mid twenties that I felt comfortable talking to them about things without fear of reprisals.

Lol I still answer back to this day

over a year ago

They are... The kids know they have more rights than the teachers and parents most of the time... "

What rights do children have that adults don't?

over a year ago

They are... The kids know they have more rights than the teachers and parents most of the time...

What rights do children have that adults don't?"

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Thank you

* I would hate to think of my daughters being canned "

Lol, I didn't mean the double negative thing, I meant the implication, by inference, that 'it' referred to 'the caning of my daughters'!

Sorry, I was in a devilish mood

over a year ago

Thank you

* I would hate to think of my daughters being canned

Lol, I didn't mean the double negative thing, I meant the implication, by inference, that 'it' referred to 'the caning of my daughters'!

Sorry, I was in a devilish mood "

By *ilacWoman
over a year ago

Cheshire

Can't believe some of the comments I'm reading.

I've never understood why children deserve less rights than adults.

Moronic to think that respect is missing in schools and should be brought back through fear and degradation.

Like someone up there said... The majority are well behaved, the ones that aren't so much, maybe have reasons to act out. Reasons that teachers are far too over worked to identify half the time.

Imagine a child getting beaten for bad behaviour while they have an undiagnosed or unidentified learning disability (which is so common) or has personal issues or whatever.

Those that say it did them no harm.... You can't compare it to not being beaten. You may have thrived further without the cane in your life.

I was hit as a child and I hold no value in my parent's parenting skills because of it. Made me more defiant. More determined. I used to stand there with the biggest smirk saying it didn't hurt. Refused to let them break them. I still hold it against them now.

No one would lay a finger on my child.

over a year ago

I did find that a lot of teachers had no respect for their students. We should cane the buggers.

over a year ago

The problem as many have pointed out is that the parents don't discipline their children.

Discipline lost at school and at home has lead to the parents who never got it either not accepting their children may be at fault.

over a year ago

Excellent topic to see who thinks children should be hurt sometimes.

over a year ago

"

I totally agree.

over a year ago

They have the same rights any child walking down the street has. No more because they are in the care of a teacher. The good teachers are the ones who gain respect from all students by treating them with respect.

over a year ago

"The problem as many have pointed out is that the parents don't discipline their children.

Discipline lost at school and at home has lead to the parents who never got it either not accepting their children may be at fault. "

And you know that how?

over a year ago

here

"Moronic to think that respect is missing in schools and should be brought back through fear and degradation"

Wrong assumption about the respect missing in the classroom statement.

over a year ago

"The problem as many have pointed out is that the parents don't discipline their children.

Discipline lost at school and at home has lead to the parents who never got it either not accepting their children may be at fault.

And you know that how? "

Have you ever spoken or known a teacher?

Heard of parents who threaten teachers because the teacher tries disciplining their child?

OObviously it's just a guess otherwise.

over a year ago

Punishment currently is not enough. Something needs to be done. Excluding a child is like Christmas to some of them. Fines on parents for bad behaviour would be a good start. Cue the what about the poor ones messages now. Teenagers have always been pricks. I was a prick at that age. They always will be pricks. Difference now is they get away with murder. Sometimes literally.

over a year ago

And you know that how?

Heard of parents who threaten teachers because the teacher tries disciplining their child?

OObviously it's just a guess otherwise. "

I know a few teachers. Yes I've heard of them being threatened by parents. Also heard parents defending their children when questioned about bad activity.

over a year ago

"Punishment currently is not enough. Something needs to be done. Excluding a child is like Christmas to some of them. Fines on parents for bad behaviour would be a good start. Cue the what about the poor ones messages now. Teenagers have always been pricks. I was a prick at that age. They always will be pricks. Difference now is they get away with murder. Sometimes literally."

But would beating them make difference it didnt with me

By *abloversCouple
over a year ago

London

If anyone laid a finger on my boy I'd beat the shit out of them

over a year ago

No they shouldn't bring it back. What exactly does caning a child teach them?

By *ilacWoman
over a year ago

Cheshire

"Moronic to think that respect is missing in schools and should be brought back through fear and degradation

"

I agree. Sorry I wasn't clear. That wasn't my statement. Someone I was disagreeing with said respect was missing in classrooms. I was arguing that violence isn't the way to being it back.

To be honest, I have no clue on the levels of respect in the classroom to make comment on that.

By *ilacWoman
over a year ago

Cheshire

"Excellent topic to see who thinks children should be hurt sometimes."

over a year ago

And you know that how?

I know a few teachers. Yes I've heard of them being threatened by parents. Also heard parents defending their children when questioned about bad activity."

All teachers behave impeccably of course

over a year ago

And you know that how?

OObviously it's just a guess otherwise. "

I am married to a teacher who has been physically confronted by parents for disciplining their children. And it's not even an unusual occurrence. I know an awful lot of teachers and they have all experienced the problem of parents undermining them and giving the school grief for attempting to enforce any kind of punishment.

over a year ago

And you know that how?

I know a few teachers. Yes I've heard of them being threatened by parents. Also heard parents defending their children when questioned about bad activity.

All teachers behave impeccably of course "

Of course they don't but I reckon poor parenting is a much more widespread problem than sadistic teachers picking on children for no reason.

over a year ago

here

"Moronic to think that respect is missing in schools and should be brought back through fear and degradation

I agree. Sorry I wasn't clear. That wasn't my statement. Someone I was disagreeing with said respect was missing in classrooms. I was arguing that violence isn't the way to being it back.

To be honest, I have no clue on the levels of respect in the classroom to make comment on that. "

I made the slstatement about respect missing in the classroom. But there is no reference to this being strengthened by the use of the cane.

You made an assumption, and it is the wrong assumption.

over a year ago

Yes i do like doing but it is always a part of consenual play "

Caning is one thing - but being canned?

There's always one hardliner out there ......possibly in the tinned meat industry!

over a year ago

I was caned regularly from 6 to 13. The headmaster was eventually sacked for being cane mad. Humiliation was a big thing in my school. Take a boy to the front of a mixed primary class, trousers down and caned on backside. There were slippers too. The occasional teacher who would throw an eraser, chalk or a blackboard rubber at a child.

It did not change me, fostered a rhem and us attitude but it did improve your standing amongst mates

over a year ago

And you know that how?

Of course they don't but I reckon poor parenting is a much more widespread problem than sadistic teachers picking on children for no reason."

I reckon poor communication skills is more a problem where teachers are concerned. Possibly because they saw teaching as an easy job with lots of time off and nice little chats in staffroom about whatshisname in 7B who smells bad. I'm not saying some parents aren't failing their children but let's not think that teachers are above blame. The idea of caning a child would probably be welcomed by the sadistic teachers you talk about,but you condone that. Working at a school opened my eyes about teachers and the vast divide between the excellent and the abysmal. The excellent ones were never heard whinging about badly behaved students. One thing I didn't agree on was NQTs or BTs given the most difficult forms to teach.

over a year ago

I wonder if it would be better if they kept a log through the year and come parents day it was the parents who got the caning ^_^

over a year ago

That said. If parents wont discipline them then who will. I wouldnt employ a yob. Caning = life lesson, unemployment = life sentense

over a year ago

And you know that how?

Of course they don't but I reckon poor parenting is a much more widespread problem than sadistic teachers picking on children for no reason."

I think you've hit the nail on the head, speaking as a parent and one who has close friends in the teaching profession.

My teenager doesn't behave impeccably and I'm the first to see where he needs help at times ~ but I won't be able to achieve those goals without the continued support of his teacher who is really on the case.

By *ilacWoman
over a year ago

Cheshire

To be honest, I have no clue on the levels of respect in the classroom to make comment on that.

I made the slstatement about respect missing in the classroom. But there is no reference to this being strengthened by the use of the cane.

"

You state respect is missing. How is respect brought by violence and degradation?

It's insane. I was reading comments on a newspaper article the other day about ISIS flogging a child in the street. There was an outcry about this barbaric behaviour.

So I'm sort of sat in disbelief reading that people are suggesting it's okay to do that down the local high school.

over a year ago

"That said. If parents wont discipline them then who will. I wouldnt employ a yob. Caning = life lesson, unemployment = life sentense"

Caning a child teaches them that you do wrong you get hurt. You do know that some football hooligans are in very well paid jobs.

over a year ago

And you know that how?

Of course they don't but I reckon poor parenting is a much more widespread problem than sadistic teachers picking on children for no reason.

I reckon poor communication skills is more a problem where teachers are concerned. Possibly because they saw teaching as an easy job with lots of time off and nice little chats in staffroom about whatshisname in 7B who smells bad. I'm not saying some parents aren't failing their children but let's not think that teachers are above blame. The idea of caning a child would probably be welcomed by the sadistic teachers you talk about,but you condone that. Working at a school opened my eyes about teachers and the vast divide between the excellent and the abysmal. The excellent ones were never heard whinging about badly behaved students. One thing I didn't agree on was NQTs or BTs given the most difficult forms to teach. "

I don't condone caning, I have said repeatedly on this thread that I don't agree with it. Neither are teachers above blame but I do think many of the problems in schools are a result of outside influences like parenting.

But I also don't know any teachers at all who got into it because they thought it would be a cushy little job. You seem to have an extremely low opinion of teachers so sounds like you've had a bad experience with where you worked. I don't know if that's unusual, but I can only go off my own experience of friends and family.

I know excellent teachers with excellent communication skills who have been physically confronted by parents. It really isn't their communication skills leading them to being threatened with physical attack in their workplace.

over a year ago

"I wonder if it would be better if they kept a log through the year and come parents day it was the parents who got the caning ^_^"

In school uniform?

over a year ago

Interestingly I have seen people talk about primary school pupils. I'd never condone caning children of that age. High school is when I got the cane. I knew right from wrong at that age. And knew enough to say no I won't bend.

However I think schools need to instill discipline. We need to find a way of doing that and give teaching staff protection at the same time.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"My husband gets at least a few partents a week phoning up or coming in to complain that he has confiscated a phone, put a kid in detention, told them off, sent them out the class or whatever sanction has been given for their child breaking school rules. I can't imagine what those parents would do if their little darlings got a thwack with a stick."

This is exactly the reality of our education system. Not only are parents undermining school discipline, but schools are wasting increasing sums of money ensuring every single 't' is crossed, and teachers come to the conclusion that small issues aren't worth the hassle, so kids get away with low-grade misbehaviour.

over a year ago

"My husband gets at least a few partents a week phoning up or coming in to complain that he has confiscated a phone, put a kid in detention, told them off, sent them out the class or whatever sanction has been given for their child breaking school rules. I can't imagine what those parents would do if their little darlings got a thwack with a stick.

This is exactly the reality of our education system. Not only are parents undermining school discipline, but schools are wasting increasing sums of money ensuring every single 't' is crossed, and teachers come to the conclusion that small issues aren't worth the hassle, so kids get away with low-grade misbehaviour."

I don't know what's happened to my spelling lately, and I keep only spotting mistakes when others quote the posts

I obviously need the cane!

over a year ago

"

I don't know what's happened to my spelling lately, and I keep only spotting mistakes when others quote the posts

I obviously need the cane!"

Bend young lady!

over a year ago

again..people thinking going back to "better days", pile of fucking pish.

whether YOU like it or not, whether the anti-PC lobby agree or not..

things have been put in to protect us(and our children) from abuses of power.

If you want to have teachers dishing out physical punishment why not just jump into 1984, armed police etc etc

and for FUCKS sake..when are people going to wake up and understand that in many types of authority/power/influence there have been uncoverings that point to the people in charge forgetting they have a reciprocal role.

then theres the people who think, well its only people that get in trouble that get punished...can you be 100% sure in that they were guilty...can you?...would you like to be in the position where an authority does not need questioned on its actions?..no..you bloody dont!

on a lighter note, I remember my friends kick boxer mum getting ready to kick the shit out of our teacher who had beat him with his own shoe...

over a year ago

here

You state respect is missing. How is respect brought by violence and degradation?

It's insane. I was reading comments on a newspaper article the other day about ISIS flogging a child in the street. There was an outcry about this barbaric behaviour.

So I'm sort of sat in disbelief reading that people are suggesting it's okay to do that down the local high school.

"

Please quote my text where I state that respect is brought about by violence and degradation

over a year ago

Barbaric.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

i agree that there are with some kids an issue with behaviour etc but using the cane or the pe plimsoll is not the answer..

I used to feel the force of a slipper or a stick when I was little ( I have no resentment towards ) it was because I was badly behaved but mainly because I would answer back or not study.

All it succeeded in doing was making me fearful of my parents it was until I was in my mid twenties that I felt comfortable talking to them about things without fear of reprisals.

Lol I still answer back to this day "

ditto on the being punished, i went to school from 65 to 75 and we were 'taught' by nuns in Primary who were not averse to using their hands to maintain the regime..

we had teachers in secondary who would relish using the cane and the plimsoll..

as parents we stopped hitting our 2 when the eldest was 11 as we decided it was not needed and wrong..

over a year ago

You could say that I have been there done that and got the T-shirt, As I was a right little bar steward at school.

I was removed from one infant school to another because one sadistic female teacher did not take a liking to me, she use a ruler across my fingers.

The headmaster at the school I transfered to was no different, apart from I had to bare my butt so he could give me the cane, My crime, ! meeting a girl that wanted to see me one Saturday morning. Ah puppy love gone wrong, I'm sure that the headmaster got a turn on giving me six of the best across my bare buttocks.

So do I believe in chastising children in school. A big NO.

Some children of today are free spirits as I was.

Some teachers take to some children, and dislike others, Children take to some teachers, and dislike others also.

Personality clashes between adult and child.

Children are tomorrows next generation of adults.

Lets love them, train them, the best way we can to fit into society.

Give them a future to look forward to.

Bring back a type of national service, Not just how to fire a gun. But to find that individual human beings potential. If he or she is a mechanic. a doctor or an athlete whatever. Discipline and respect would return to the country, that previous generations gave their life to protect.

over a year ago

I've seen more than one poster on this thread suggest it would be ok for a parent to kick/beat the shit out of a teacher who used corporal punishment against a child. That doesn't work for me either I'm afraid, violence against adults is also shit.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Absolutely not.

Someone who needs to use physical force to teach a child has no place in education."

over a year ago

"I've seen more than one poster on this thread suggest it would be ok for a parent to kick/beat the shit out of a teacher who used corporal punishment against a child. That doesn't work for me either I'm afraid, violence against adults is also shit."

I'll point out the male teacher beat an 13yr old boy with the boys own shoe..out in the school corridor...

hardly corporal punishment...a deserved kicking might be on the cards if I knew that was the punishment dealt out..of course..that teacher works still today..

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I've seen more than one poster on this thread suggest it would be ok for a parent to kick/beat the shit out of a teacher who used corporal punishment against a child. That doesn't work for me either I'm afraid, violence against adults is also shit."

this..

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

I obviously need the cane!"

If there's one thing my canings taught me, it was the importance of putting your hand up

I have checked and it was my fat fingers wot done it, scrolling up n down.

I wondered where that stray letter t went

Please sir, spare Anna, it was all my fault

over a year ago

"

Totally, absolutely right!!! As a victim of a school that abused and viciously destroyed children's spirits, I would do everything in my power to stop it ever happening again...

But I will admit feeling some support for caning the parents of children who have learnt their bad habits from them....

over a year ago

"I've seen more than one poster on this thread suggest it would be ok for a parent to kick/beat the shit out of a teacher who used corporal punishment against a child. That doesn't work for me either I'm afraid, violence against adults is also shit.

I'll point out the male teacher beat an 13yr old boy with the boys own shoe..out in the school corridor...

hardly corporal punishment...a deserved kicking might be on the cards if I knew that was the punishment dealt out..of course..that teacher works still today.."

Nope, "a kicking" still isn't ok. Struck off, unable to teach again, whatever. But a kicking? How is that any more appropriate?

over a year ago

"

I obviously need the cane!

If there's one thing my canings taught me, it was the importance of putting your hand up

I have checked and it was my fat fingers wot done it, scrolling up n down.

I wondered where that stray letter t went

Please sir, spare Anna, it was all my fault "

Phew! Now can I find a way to pin all the typos in my other posts on someone....

over a year ago

And you know that how?

I reckon poor communication skills is more a problem where teachers are concerned. Possibly because they saw teaching as an easy job with lots of time off and nice little chats in staffroom about whatshisname in 7B who smells bad. I'm not saying some parents aren't failing their children but let's not think that teachers are above blame. The idea of caning a child would probably be welcomed by the sadistic teachers you talk about,but you condone that. Working at a school opened my eyes about teachers and the vast divide between the excellent and the abysmal. The excellent ones were never heard whinging about badly behaved students. One thing I didn't agree on was NQTs or BTs given the most difficult forms to teach.

I don't condone caning, I have said repeatedly on this thread that I don't agree with it. Neither are teachers above blame but I do think many of the problems in schools are a result of outside influences like parenting.

But I also don't know any teachers at all who got into it because they thought it would be a cushy little job. You seem to have an extremely low opinion of teachers so sounds like you've had a bad experience with where you worked. I don't know if that's unusual, but I can only go off my own experience of friends and family.

I know excellent teachers with excellent communication skills who have been physically confronted by parents. It really isn't their communication skills leading them to being threatened with physical attack in their workplace."

No,you're making assumptions about me. I have a lot of respect for good teachers, it's the not so good ones who I have none for. I've worked with excellent teachers and terrible ones. The excellent ones didn't whinge about bad behaviour. And yes,there are people who go into teaching without realising how difficult it is. I worked at an Outstanding school in a very poor area. Discipline was good and parents co-operated. Any school who gets put on special measures gets a change of management or turn into an Academy to turn them around. The students are the same with the same parents. Some parents are extremely bad,but in the school I worked in that was extremely rare. I loved working there,I cried when I had to leave.

over a year ago

And you know that how?

I know excellent teachers with excellent communication skills who have been physically confronted by parents. It really isn't their communication skills leading them to being threatened with physical attack in their workplace.

No,you're making assumptions about me. I have a lot of respect for good teachers, it's the not so good ones who I have none for. I've worked with excellent teachers and terrible ones. The excellent ones didn't whinge about bad behaviour. And yes,there are people who go into teaching without realising how difficult it is. I worked at an Outstanding school in a very poor area. Discipline was good and parents co-operated. Any school who gets put on special measures gets a change of management or turn into an Academy to turn them around. The students are the same with the same parents. Some parents are extremely bad,but in the school I worked in that was extremely rare. I loved working there,I cried when I had to leave. "

Ok But I will say there's a difference between just sitting whinging about bad behaviour and actually coming up against bad behaviour every day despite being an excellent teacher. Excellent teachers encounter this stuff too, as well as the good, mediocre and rubbish ones.

I don't even think it's about the extremes of bad parents or extremely bad behaviour. It's just low level shit parenting and disruptive behaviour which in my _iew is quite widespread.

The schools turned into academies are also given more ability to permanently exclude pupils so yes it's the same kids, the same parents, but the ability to say to those parents that either their children follow the school rules or they can go to a different school.

over a year ago

"

Bring back a type of national service, Not just how to fire a gun. But to find that individual human beings potential. If he or she is a mechanic. a doctor or an athlete whatever. Discipline and respect would return to the country, that previous generations gave their life to protect."

Bullshit. Taking someone out of their life for a year or two doesn't help them find what they want to do it just stops them from doing it and forces them to do something utterly pointless for a while.

Also it's usually rife with abuse just like care homes etc end up as.

As for it teaches them respect and discipline it doesn't it just isolates them and makes them resentful.

I had a friend who was exposed to some pretty bad abuse during his NS I'm not entirely sure him putting his rifle in his mouth and blowing the back of his head off really helped him fit into society.

Post new Message to Thread