By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

[Removed by poster at 01/07/15 22:59:21]

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

That's 'cos mental health provision in this country sucks.

But don't worry the Tories created 'care in the community' and will now be sure to cut the rest away.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

channel 4 mental health service is in crisis northern Ireland family travel 300 miles to London every week to see their daughter my daughter was sent to Colchester so I was lucky but its dreadful to be so far from your sick kids they should have morep places for them not less

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

mental health in the UK has always been in crisis, but even more so at the moment and nobody ever knows until they are in that situation themselves.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They've made process in some areas, thank god we no longer have the asylums like we used to. I agree though , that the funding for mental health isn't what it should be. It'll get worse before it gets better. There are cuts everywhere.

over a year ago

Progress not process !

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"They've made process in some areas, thank god we no longer have the asylums like we used to. I agree though , that the funding for mental health isn't what it should be. It'll get worse before it gets better. There are cuts everywhere."

It'll get worse, not better.

Oh, and you missed out the 'n' from 'cuts'.

over a year ago

"They've made process in some areas, thank god we no longer have the asylums like we used to. I agree though , that the funding for mental health isn't what it should be. It'll get worse before it gets better. There are cuts everywhere.

Oh, and you missed out the 'n' from 'cuts'."

Correct I did miss the n out! Don't you think if we end up with a change of government in the future , they will fund it more ?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Now Ch4 are showing On The Edge and Online.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

our hospital has closed we have a new hospital but no A E any mental disorders have no place here they are trying to unite all the units to one place .. a step back IMO

my daughter has been sent loads of places furthest was Birmingham shes in a private hospital in Colchester now most of her anxiety stems from wanting to be moved nearer home

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"They've made process in some areas, thank god we no longer have the asylums like we used to. I agree though , that the funding for mental health isn't what it should be. It'll get worse before it gets better. There are cuts everywhere.

Oh, and you missed out the 'n' from 'cuts'.

Correct I did miss the n out! Don't you think if we end up with a change of government in the future , they will fund it more ? "

It's unlikely. If you unearth the real costs of treating everyone so that they get better the NHS wouldn't do anything else.

Of course it would save money on the physical ill health caused by the mental ill health but it's easier to treat the physical than the mental.

I was lucky that I got 6 months of NHS therapy. I can't get any more unless I present as a danger to someone else or I have made an attempt to end my own life. I was lucky that I had the savings to pay for on-going therapy. I have no savings left but I feel healthy now. A lot of people won't have that option.

over a year ago

"our hospital has closed we have a new hospital but no A E any mental disorders have no place here they are trying to unite all the units to one place .. a step back IMO

my daughter has been sent loads of places furthest was Birmingham shes in a private hospital in Colchester now most of her anxiety stems from wanting to be moved nearer home "

Do they have mental health triage nurses at your GP's though?ive noticed they seem to have better gateway services than they used to. Is there anywhere closer that can provide the same treatment? I know it must be frustrating for you and for her.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"our hospital has closed we have a new hospital but no A E any mental disorders have no place here they are trying to unite all the units to one place .. a step back IMO

my daughter has been sent loads of places furthest was Birmingham shes in a private hospital in Colchester now most of her anxiety stems from wanting to be moved nearer home

Do they have mental health triage nurses at your GP's though?ive noticed they seem to have better gateway services than they used to. Is there anywhere closer that can provide the same treatment? I know it must be frustrating for you and for her. "

gps were no help its been years now and hopefully we can get her moved a bit nearer home but im almost scared to get my hopes up

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Do they have mental health triage nurses at your GP's though?ive noticed they seem to have better gateway services than they used to. Is there anywhere closer that can provide the same treatment? I know it must be frustrating for you and for her. "

The problem is that different CCGs will prioritise funding for different things. If you haven't got a well resourced Mental Health Trust a scarce service becomes no service at all.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Apropos of this convo there was a disturbance this morning at the house on the corner where a mental health guy lives.

Eventually 3 cops cars, one police van and an ambulance turn up.

The cops have this guys - who's mad as a box 'o frogs (I've worked in MH, this is bona fide terminology) - handcuffed, swearing his head off in the back of the van for TWO HOURS.

It's also been the hottest day of the year.

I thought about going out there and suggesting that they either book him or let him go as this shit had been going on for 3 hrs by this point...

A neighbour helpfully pointed out that he had been referred to local MH health services but 'he wasn't deemed in great enough need' so was turned away.

Just rubbish.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

another problem is the carers don't always treat them as human beings

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Apropos of this convo there was a disturbance this morning at the house on the corner where a mental health guy lives.

The cops have this guys - who's mad as a box 'o frogs (I've worked in MH, this is bona fide terminology) - handcuffed, swearing his head off in the back of the van for TWO HOURS.

I thought about going out there and suggesting that they either book him or let him go as this shit had been going on for 3 hrs by this point...

A neighbour helpfully pointed out that he had been referred to local MH health services but 'he wasn't deemed in great enough need' so was turned away.

Just rubbish. "

Rubbish and the absolute norm. How many on short stay sentences are just in need of mental health services?

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

And oddly enough, I was wondering how much is costs to treat people in units or the community versus custody.

But hey ho. I'm looking for logic where there is none.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

"Apropos of this convo there was a disturbance this morning at the house on the corner where a mental health guy lives.

Just rubbish.

Rubbish and the absolute norm. How many on short stay sentences are just in need of mental health services?

"

too many sadly, as people either aren't qualified enough to deal with them, or there are no other services/help/resources to help either.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Just rubbish.

too many sadly, as people either aren't qualified enough to deal with them, or there are no other services/help/resources to help either. "

Exactly - it's like they didn't know what to do with him

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Just rubbish.

too many sadly, as people either aren't qualified enough to deal with them, or there are no other services/help/resources to help either.

Exactly - it's like they didn't know what to do with him"

Well thats it, they are police officers, not mental health professionals. The government treats the police the same way they treat the armed forces, cut all the services and then if the shit hits the fan the police can deal with or, the military can.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"And oddly enough, I was wondering how much is costs to treat people in units or the community versus custody.

But hey ho. I'm looking for logic where there is none."

Different departments and different budgets. Never the twain to be compared. Yet every piece of work on criminal justice makes the link to housing and mental health as being key factors in the lives of short stay sentences.

What was the result when prisons were tasked with ensuring that short stayers had somewhere to live when they left custody? They made sure they had a bed in a hostel for one night. Then they become someone else's problem and the whole merry-go-round turns again, usually with an episode similar your neighbourhood issue this morning.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"And oddly enough, I was wondering how much is costs to treat people in units or the community versus custody.

Different departments and different budgets. Never the twain to be compared. Yet every piece of work on criminal justice makes the link to housing and mental health as being key factors in the lives of short stay sentences.

What was the result when prisons were tasked with ensuring that short stayers had somewhere to live when they left custody? They made sure they had a bed in a hostel for one night. Then they become someone else's problem and the whole merry-go-round turns again, usually with an episode similar your neighbourhood issue this morning.

"

Do you know what a discharge grant is for prison leavers?

Currently £47 - probs not enough to get you a train ticket home.

I have long experience with the criminal justice system as well as mental health - they whole thing sucks.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Do you know what a discharge grant is for prison leavers?

Currently £47 - probs not enough to get you a train ticket home.

I have long experience with the criminal justice system as well as mental health - they whole thing sucks. "

I know. It's almost as if they want the ex-offender to offend again and go back to their old cell.

What's even more bonkers is that if you are released because of a miscarriage of justice you aren't even entitled to that £47 and no probation officer to help with anything.

over a year ago

Anyone know if "throwing money" at the situation would actually change much anyway? How many £bns would have to be spent?

I find slight irony in a TV programme on Mental Health, how much has Television contributed to the causes? 1%, 5%, 20%?

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Oh, and it's not prisons who offer resettlement advice any more - it's passed on to charities (like Shelter) or other providers.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"

Anyone know if "throwing money" at the situation would actually change much anyway? How many £bns would have to be spent?

I find slight irony in a TV programme on Mental Health, how much has Television contributed to the causes? 1%, 5%, 20%?

"

Do you mean how much as television given in cash to the causes or how television has contributed to an increase in mental ill health?

over a year ago

"

Do you mean how much as television given in cash to the causes or how television has contributed to an increase in mental ill health?

"

The latter.

Two quick thoughts, as in : repeated exposure to such as Eastenders

Self image problems trying to be what TV, and other media, would have you be.

Post new Message to Thread