Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Marching season

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I'm in Belfast and have had the unique experience of watching a March go past. I must say it was an honour to see all the people dressed in uniforms and marching as a community, and the people that line the streets to support them. I am pleased it passed peacefully.

I know the political issues behind the marches, and am in no way being political.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I lived in Northern Ireland for 2 years but unfortunately that time of year because of my husbands job we were told to stay away.

Having said that I loved my time out there and found the people I meet brilliant.

I was glad I left when I did though as it was just after the 2 bombs at HQ which was where my x worked.

over a year ago

On the contrary, I find it all to be a little on the pathetic side, - why don't they all just go to the beach & call it the chilling season? Strange people!

over a year ago

I've done a little.tour today of the shankill road and peace walls. It was a real way opener that it is a really small part of Belfast that has the ability to be a tinder box.

A tourist now going to those areas and staying in the centre would not understand what the reputation is about.

Also saw a knee of bon fires being beuilt for the 12 and 13th was told it gets hairy on those days.

over a year ago

"On the contrary, I find it all to be a little on the pathetic side, - why don't they all just go to the beach & call it the chilling season? Strange people! "

As I.said .not being political. The March was an experience. You'd have to.ask.those involved why they don't just chill.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"On the contrary, I find it all to be a little on the pathetic side, - why don't they all just go to the beach & call it the chilling season? Strange people!

As I.said .not being political. The March was an experience. You'd have to.ask.those involved why they don't just chill."

Except calling it "an honour" could be construed as political.

I certainly find the whole thing remarkably unbritish, provocative and unnecessary - we don't march through Berlin every VE day.

And that some someone whose Dad served in Northern Ireland.

Mr ddc

over a year ago

"On the contrary, I find it all to be a little on the pathetic side, - why don't they all just go to the beach & call it the chilling season? Strange people!

As I.said .not being political. The March was an experience. You'd have to.ask.those involved why they don't just chill.

I certainly find the whole thing remarkably unbritish, provocative and unnecessary - we don't march through Berlin every VE day.

Mr ddc"

It's not meant to be political. It was a very pleasant experience to see in person. I have no views as to why they do it as I don't have enough knowledge.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Mr ddc

It's not meant to be political. It was a very pleasant experience to see in person. I have no views as to why they do it as I don't have enough knowledge. "

I think they do it just to cause trouble tbh.

(It is apparently meant to celebrate the victory of the protestants over the catholics at the Battle of the Boyne. In 1690 no less.)

over a year ago

i dont think there's anything in the least bit honourable about the marches.....people in the communities have made massive efforts over the last couple of decades to change the bigotry that has divided their whole lives for generations...and the marches are just a symbol of a time that should be left in the past!

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Ah! The medieval world's still alive

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Mr ddc

It's not meant to be political. It was a very pleasant experience to see in person. I have no views as to why they do it as I don't have enough knowledge.

I think they do it just to cause trouble tbh.

(It is apparently meant to celebrate the victory of the protestants over the catholics at the Battle of the Boyne. In 1690 no less.)

"

1690? Huh. We (Scots) go back to 1314 for similar insanity.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It's another bit of showing how a group of people feel they are superior to another group by celebrating their victory over another group.

There's a theme on the forum tonight.

OP, the ex and I drove around Belfast in January looking at these areas we had seen on the news most of our lives.

Then we went to the Merchant Hotel and had the best French Martini ever. Go and have drink there and relax.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I'm in Belfast and have had the unique experience of watching a March go past. I must say it was an honour to see all the people dressed in uniforms and marching as a community, and the people that line the streets to support them. I am pleased it passed peacefully.

I know the political issues behind the marches, and am in no way being political. "

'marching as a community' sounds so very rose tinted and without being rude very naive..

its more about oppression and division and one day will hopefully just be a sad part of the history of that part of this land..

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

1690? Huh. We (Scots) go back to 1314 for similar insanity."

Yeah but you're more managable, you normally get bored of marching on London round about Derby

over a year ago

Mr ddc

It's not meant to be political. It was a very pleasant experience to see in person. I have no views as to why they do it as I don't have enough knowledge. "

If you don't think that the marching season is political, what do you think it's about?

over a year ago

Mr ddc

If you don't think that the marching season is political, what do you think it's about? "

You misunderstood that my post is not political. I have no view on the reasons.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Mr ddc

If you don't think that the marching season is political, what do you think it's about? "

I think the OP meant his post wasn't meant to be political but rather a commentary on something he had never witnessed before.

over a year ago

Mr ddc

If you don't think that the marching season is political, what do you think it's about?

I think the OP meant his post wasn't meant to be political but rather a commentary on something he had never witnessed before.

"

Thanks lickety.

It seems some people don't read a whole post. I'm sure I stated at the beginning my views were not political. But as usual people look at ways to jump on a poster.

over a year ago

Mr ddc

You misunderstood that my post is not political. I have no view on the reasons. "

I was referring to the marching season, not your post, lol

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Mr ddc

Thanks lickety.

It seems some people don't read a whole post. I'm sure I stated at the beginning my views were not political. But as usual people look at ways to jump on a poster."

your use of the term honour for what was and remains a paramilitary occasion and for whom some people have less than memorable recollections..

to be fair on my own behalf i would still class you as naive in using such a term in relation to PIRA..

only in the minds of the extremist criminals on both sides would such a term be thought about their own particular side..

for those of us who 'policed' that area and saw the consequences of what was done in the name of us or them, honour is far from applicable..

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

Thanks lickety.

It seems some people don't read a whole post. I'm sure I stated at the beginning my views were not political. But as usual people look at ways to jump on a poster."

Sorry if you feel jumped on OP. As I said, for me it was the use of the term 'honoured' that I was commenting on. Had you said you found it odd, or curious, or interesting, you wouldn't have got a peep out of me.

I felt I was more showing my distaste for the marchers themselves, rather than you.

over a year ago

Mr ddc

"

ie Taken in isolation, quite a spectacle.

It's not as though, say, Gay Pride marches are ever politicised is it?

Humans will never cease to politicise things.

over a year ago

"

Thanks lickety.

It seems some people don't read a whole post. I'm sure I stated at the beginning my views were not political. But as usual people look at ways to jump on a poster.

Sorry if you feel jumped on OP. As I said, for me it was the use of the term 'honoured' that I was commenting on. Had you said you found it odd, or curious, or interesting, you wouldn't have got a peep out of me.

I felt I was more showing my distaste for the marchers themselves, rather than you.

"

Maybe I used a wrong terminology. Honoured is probably not the right word as it doesn't mean anything to me. But it did feel somewhat good to witness what I've only ever seen on tv.

My experience of northern Ireland has been good and I'm looking forward to my next trip.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Mr ddc

ie Taken in isolation, quite a spectacle.

It's not as though, say, Gay Pride marches are ever politicised is it?

Humans will never cease to politicise things."

I'm not saying the Marching season isn't political as I know it is. I was just clarifying what I thought the OP was trying to convey.

As others have said, the word honoured conveys a message of support for the marchers and that is political. I just think he didn't mean to convey political solidarity.

By *BWCockloverCouple
over a year ago

Bangor

[Removed by poster at 02/07/15 00:45:33]

over a year ago

"i dont think there's anything in the least bit honourable about the marches.....people in the communities have made massive efforts over the last couple of decades to change the bigotry that has divided their whole lives for generations...and the marches are just a symbol of a time that should be left in the past!"

This!

..........& they've a beautiful coastline to have a chill-out season upon instead!!

Like I said earlier, I find it all a little pathetic!

By *ord Willy McFuck-BucketMan
over a year ago

newcastle

you want to try living in it for 40 years - bullshit the whole lot of it from both sides

over a year ago

It's like an addiction to some........

over a year ago

Bet you wished you had not bothered posting now lol

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

It would be handy to have a legal team available to go over your message with a fine tooth comb before you hit the 'send' button on here at times ...I really believe some people just look for things to be offended by

over a year ago

"you want to try living in it for 40 years - bullshit the whole lot of it from both sides"

very easy for those who know fuck all about it to comment .

over a year ago

"Bet you wished you had not bothered posting now lol "

Oh I've had two this week where some people have taken it upon themselves to be high and mighty. It's forum life I'm afraid.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

Oh I've had two this week where some people have taken it upon themselves to be high and mighty. It's forum life I'm afraid. "

Yeah, I'm not that experienced with this whole forum lark yet. I forget you're not meant to have a different opinion from the OP, and that free speech is not de rigueur. At least that nice Hitler fella understood that.

And he made the trains run on time.

Perhaps one of us should start a non-political thread about him. What could possibly go wrong?

Mr ddc

over a year ago

"

Oh I've had two this week where some people have taken it upon themselves to be high and mighty. It's forum life I'm afraid.

Yeah, I'm not that experienced with this whole forum lark yet. I forget you're not meant to have a different opinion from the OP, and that free speech is not de rigueur. At least that nice Hitler fella understood that.

And he made the trains run on time.

Perhaps one of us should start a non-political thread about him. What could possibly go wrong?

Mr ddc"

Yep my point exactly. Have a good day.

over a year ago

"I'm in Belfast and have had the unique experience of watching a March go past. I must say it was an honour to see all the people dressed in uniforms and marching as a community, and the people that line the streets to support them. I am pleased it passed peacefully.

I know the political issues behind the marches, and am in no way being political.

'marching as a community' sounds so very rose tinted and without being rude very naive..

its more about oppression and division and one day will hopefully just be a sad part of the history of that part of this land..

"

We got caught up in one go Glasgow on Sunday...I turned my back. It felt very good to let my views be publicly known. I have no religious affiliation but those who exercise their "right" to march are Provocative, aggressive and oppressive and should be left in the dark ages where they belong.

over a year ago

" Maybe I used a wrong terminology. Honoured is probably not the right word as it doesn't mean anything to me. But it did feel somewhat good to witness what I've only ever seen on tv.

My experience of northern Ireland has been good and I'm looking forward to my next trip. "

I knew what you meant if it's any consolation. I'm glad you enjoyed Belfast, it's not all bad. Did you go the other side of the peace wall and have a look around the Falls Road area? When I 1st moved here, like you I was surprised by how small the 'epicentre' of it all is, but the sad truth I've come realise is that it's not just there but everywhere in every town here. Generally where I live stays quiet, it's had it's moments, but long may it continue. Belfast is a beautiful place though and very rich in history with plenty to see and do, although I would avoid around the July fortnight (week before and week after the 12th), the rest of the year is great and well worth a visit

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

Have family that live close to the borders and where the marching goes past etc..was over there just before the marches were due and didn't feel at all comfortable watching the kerbsides being painted either red white and blue then suddenly orange green and white..just our view

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

Think this says it all

In my memories, I will always see

The town that I have loved so well

Where our school played ball by the old gas yard wall

And we laughed through the smoke and the smell

Going home in the rain, running up the dark lane

Past the jail, and down behind the Fountain

Those were happy days in so many, many ways

In the town I loved so well

In the early morning the shirt factory horn

Called women from Creggan, the moor, and the bog

Whilst the men on the dole played a mother's role

Fed the children and then walked the dog

And when times got tough, there was just about enough

And they saw it through without complaining

For deep inside was a burning pride

For the town I loved so well

There was music there in that Derry air

Like a language that we, we all could understand

I remember the day that I earned my first pay

When I played in a small pick-up band

There I spent my youth, and to tell you the truth

I was sad to leave it all behind me

For I learned about life, and I found a wife

In the town I loved so well

But when I returned, how my eyes have burned

To see how a town could be brought to it's knees

By the armoured cars and the bombed-out bars

And the gas that hangs on to every breeze

Now the army's installed by that old gas yard wall

And the damned barbed wire gets higher and higher

With their tanks and their guns, oh my god, what have they done

To the town I loved so well

Now the music's gone but they still carry on

For their spirits been bruised, never broken

They will not forget that their hearts are set

On tomorrow and peace once again

For what's done is done and what's won is won

And what's lost is lost and gone for ever

I can only pray for a bright, brand new day

In the town I love so well

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Gastric Band

Marching Season

Thats how the forum read as I typed this.

Yes its the small things that amuse me

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

09:00hrs to 16:00hrs on 4 July 2015

1. North Portland Street, between Richmond Street and George Street

2. Albion Street, between George Street and Blackfriars Street

3. High Street, between John Knox Street and George Street

4. Saltmarket, between High Street and Clyde Street

5. College Street, at its junction with High Street

6. Parsonage Row, at its junction with High Street

7. Bell Street, between Walls Street and Watson Street

8. Trongate, between Albion Street and High Street

9. Gallowgate, between Trongate and Watson Street

10. London Road, between Trongate and Charlotte Street

11. St Andrews Street, between Saltmarket and James Morrison Street

12. Greendyke Street, between London Road and Saltmarket

13. Bridgegate, between King Street and Saltmarket

14. King Street (southbound only), between Bridgegate and Osbourne Street

15. George Street, for its full length

16. High Street, between Cathedral Street and George Street

17. Duke Street, between John Knox Street and George Street

18. Ingram Street, between Albion Street and High Street

19. West George Street, Nelson Mandela Place and George Square

20. Nelson Mandela Place, for its full length

21. George Square (North), for its full length

22. George Square (East), for its full length

23. George Square (West), for its full length

24. George Square (South) for its full length

25. North Hanover Street, between Cathedral Street and George Square (North)

26. Montrose Street, for its full length

27. Cochrane Street, for its full length

28. Ingram Street, between High Street and Glassford Street

29. Shuttle Street, between College Street and Ingram Street

30. North Hanover Street, between George Square North and Queen St Station entrance

31. Anchor Lane, for its full length

32. Dundas Street, for its full length

Traffic on the lengths of road specified in the above locations will be prohibited and / or restricted to facilitate the holding of the Boyne Parade on Saturday 4th July 2015. Closures will start at 09:00 and continue to approximately 16:00hr

Post new Message to Thread