Jump to newest

By *heBirminghamWeekend OP   Man
over a year ago

here

Out tomorrow....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Should make interesting reading as I am unsure how I feel about it.

The plus side to expanding heathrow will be the creation & retention of jobs. The downsides will include the increased amount of flights over my house & the demise of kestrels spa.*

*i know there are other significant downsides before anyone jumps.

over a year ago

Serious question :

Are all "nimby"ists, objecting to extended airports, additional runways etc

non fliers?

over a year ago

I admit to not knowing a lot about this proposal but I hear that Heathrow is operating at max capacity and if we as a nation are to continually compete on a global level at attracting business, tourism and investment then it's a no brained isn't it?

over a year ago

For me Gatwick really needs the 2nd runway, it would be easier to do as well.

over a year ago

"For me Gatwick really needs the 2nd runway, it would be easier to do as well."
encroachment on the stockbroker belt? Tut tut!

over a year ago

The whole Heathrow 3rd runway argument is a typical I'm alright jack situation. People who think we need a third runway usually don't live anywhere near a major airport so don't realise how poor the air quality is near by due to the amount of planes and traffic, add a 3rd runway then all of a sudden we have more planes spilling more fumes into the atmosphere and more cars and taxis. Then there's all the people who lose their houses because of compulsory purchase orders.

over a year ago

"The whole Heathrow 3rd runway argument is a typical I'm alright jack situation. People who think we need a third runway usually don't live anywhere near a major airport so don't realise how poor the air quality is near by due to the amount of planes and traffic, add a 3rd runway then all of a sudden we have more planes spilling more fumes into the atmosphere and more cars and taxis. Then there's all the people who lose their houses because of compulsory purchase orders. "

I think most people just fail to grasp the big issues and just think wtf I want to fly to Barcelona on a Wednesday!.

If they do the third runway, they will probably brake European air pollution limits which Heathrow pushes to the limits already!.

This whole issue of a third runway is ridiculous, what happened to the government mantra of moving away from the south east for crying out loud!.

over a year ago

here

Heathrow it is then

over a year ago

I never thought I'd say this but.... Thank heavens for a sensible Boris Johnson!

Even he realises the pollution from Heathrow would just be intolerable.

over a year ago

here

I just wonder what the true impact will be by falling behind in the ability to meet the increasing demands.

this isn't just about people wanting to fly to magaluf on any day/time they chose .

over a year ago

"I just wonder what the true impact will be by falling behind in the ability to meet the increasing demands.

this isn't just about people wanting to fly to magaluf on any day/time they chose .

"

No it's primarily about import/export and short journeys

Stick vat on short haul aviation fuel and invest in trains.. The "need" for short haul would be drastically cut!.

And start spreading the flow across many of the other airports nationwide and let's get this economic parity with the south east going.... Which every party for 20 years has been banging on about

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

There was a report on the BBC a couple of days ago about the way that most other countries have been getting on building brand new four to six runway airports around the world. In most cases these airports have been conceived, planned and built in the time that we have been thinking about talking about maybe investigating what would happen if one new runway was built in the SE.

Perhaps Boris was right all along about his island.

over a year ago

here

"I just wonder what the true impact will be by falling behind in the ability to meet the increasing demands.

Stick vat on short haul aviation fuel and invest in trains.. The "need" for short haul would be drastically cut!.

And start spreading the flow across many of the other airports nationwide and let's get this economic parity with the south east going.... Which every party for 20 years has been banging on about"

No,you are missing the bigger picture. The next post following yours, by another member, hits the nail on the head.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Heathrow it is then"

maybe..

think it will come down to the tories majority at present and how many will be upset with the decision either way..

Boris and his fantasy island may give them a way out..

over a year ago

And start spreading the flow across many of the other airports nationwide and let's get this economic parity with the south east going.... Which every party for 20 years has been banging on about

No,you are missing the bigger picture. The next post following yours, by another member, hits the nail on the head.

"

What!

You can't compare the uk to China! Well you can but then don't complain when your having to walk round in smog with a mask on.

Alot of other major city airports are outside the city or have the benefit of flight paths over open land.... Heathrow doesn't, the commissions report is heavily biased towards Heathrow and was always going to be.

Sometimes the best economic interest is not always in the best interest overhaul for the People and that's why the commission don't make decisions but recommendations

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

It's down to government choice and whether or not emissions will be met, which seeing as they aren't being met right now will be interesting to see how they ever can be what with the major infrastructure having to expand to deal with the proposed 3rd runway...

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the "short haul" arguement is kinda a ruse... because you will find that most of the capacity from any 3rd runway will be used for long haul flights... so heathrow becomes a long haul hub... and gatwick/stansted/luton will be short haul hubs.....

it was always going to be heathrow... especially with the tube/crossrail connections.. this solution cost less housing...

if they could consider joined by thinking to make the connections viable between the airports.... that would help....

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the other subject is persuading airlines... especially long haul flyers (passengers) to want to fly out of provinical airports.. be that birmingham/manchester/glasgow/newcastle ect.....

over a year ago

here

What!

You can't compare the uk to China! Well you can but then don't complain when your having to walk round in smog with a mask on.

Alot of other major city airports are outside the city or have the benefit of flight paths over open land.... Heathrow doesn't, the commissions report is heavily biased towards Heathrow and was always going to be.

Sometimes the best economic interest is not always in the best interest overhaul for the People and that's why the commission don't make decisions but recommendations"

I don't think the smog can be solely attributed to the airplanes! That's quite a weak argument.

But actually, while China is investing massively in airports, there are others much closer to home who are building super hubs that will meet the demands of the airlines.

The point being they are building for the future and doing it quickly .

As mentioned before, we are hobbling along still deciding about pitiful expansion, which by today's standards, will not be required by the time we get down to laying foundations.

The exact same situation is happening with the HS projects.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 01/07/15 13:27:51]

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

BBC....

" Along the Black Sea coast, 21 miles (35km) from Istanbul, an army of trucks and construction workers are labouring round the clock to build one of the world's biggest airports. The project was only announced two years ago by the Turkish government and yet it's due to open in 2018. Once fully complete, it will boast six runways and cater for 150 million passengers a year, travelling to 350 destinations. Or to put it another way, it will have more than twice the capacity of London Heathrow. "

Story also commented that of the 50 new runways being considered, planned or built before 2036, only 17 are in China. These runways are considered major international infrastructure developments serving international destinations and do not include the hundreds of smaller runways in provincial cities serving a domestic market.

over a year ago

here

"BBC....

" Along the Black Sea coast, 21 miles (35km) from Istanbul, an army of trucks and construction workers are labouring round the clock to build one of the world's biggest airports. The project was only announced two years ago by the Turkish government and yet it's due to open in 2018. Once fully complete, it will boast six runways and cater for 150 million passengers a year, travelling to 350 destinations. Or to put it another way, it will have more than twice the capacity of London Heathrow. "

Story also commented that of the 50 new runways being considered, planned or built before 2036, only 17 are in China. These runways are considered major international infrastructure developments serving international destinations and do not include the hundreds of smaller runways in provincial cities serving a domestic market."

And same report also mentions the second massive airport DWC development in Dubai. Given that the current DXB is already expanded to 3 terminals and moving more passengers and freight than LHR - puts in to perspective the insignificant "dilemma " of where to put our third runway !

over a year ago

You can't compare Heathrow to other cities.

Heathrow flight paths affect more people than Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid and Barcelona put together!

The main expansion that Heathrow claims is cargo which they wish to double, that cargo could just as easily be transferred from other airports.

I'm not being funny but a major expansion of an airport located as close to a capital city as London with building standards that we have, is never going to be quick!

over a year ago

here

"You can't compare Heathrow to other cities.

Heathrow flight paths affect more people than Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid and Barcelona put together!

The main expansion that Heathrow claims is cargo which they wish to double, that cargo could just as easily be transferred from other airports.

I'm not being funny but a major expansion of an airport located as close to a capital city as London with building standards that we have, is never going to be quick!

"

You can compare how other cities / countries deal with the same challenges - look at HKG - old airport downtown, approach involved a sharp turn on approach and descending through the high rises of Kowloon and no room for expansion. Solution : build a new manmade Island away from the populated areas and put in an excellent rail link to the centre.

over a year ago

One flight every 42 seconds!

With a third they want that to be one flight every 26 seconds!

Flying over 7 million people,

750,000 of them are directly affected by it!

You said I missed the big picture, I think Id rather think big and outside the box.

Let's build some maglef trains let's see more underground, let's see airports built on estuaries, you want to fuck around for years building something that's already been done.... We can't build quicker than some third world shithole but we can build the unthinkable!

over a year ago

here

"One flight every 42 seconds!

You said I missed the big picture, I think Id rather think big and outside the box.

Let's build some maglef trains let's see more underground, let's see airports built on estuaries, you want to fuck around for years building something that's already been done.... We can't build quicker than some third world shithole but we can build the unthinkable!

"

That's what I just said

By *mandaboundTV/TS
over a year ago

Newton Le Willows

Right location wrong choice. The heathrow hub proposal (not the airport proposed one) was better. Altered flight paths, les noise, less pollution.

As for having one I think it's a no brainer. Prefer heathrow to Gatwick and flown through both as a hub.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

I hate to say things like this for fear of tempting fate but I think that in this risky world that we live in, the potential risk of even more flights flying over densely populated area's is not a good idea.

Boris Island is the solution. Yes it is a bigger ticket but also an opportunity to construct the best airport in the world... In Britain.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Heathrow is looking to a third runway and Glasgow hasn't even got a fast rail link to our airport.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"The whole Heathrow 3rd runway argument is a typical I'm alright jack situation. People who think we need a third runway usually don't live anywhere near a major airport so don't realise how poor the air quality is near by due to the amount of planes and traffic, add a 3rd runway then all of a sudden we have more planes spilling more fumes into the atmosphere and more cars and taxis. Then there's all the people who lose their houses because of compulsory purchase orders. .

I think most people just fail to grasp the big issues and just think wtf I want to fly to Barcelona on a Wednesday!.

If they do the third runway, they will probably brake European air pollution limits which Heathrow pushes to the limits already!.

This whole issue of a third runway is ridiculous, what happened to the government mantra of moving away from the south east for crying out loud!.

"

they win an out right majority and no longer have to appeas the libdems so it's full steam ahead with the masterplan and bollocks to the rest of the country

over a year ago

Hello all,

I think that it makes no sense to bring more people into London, surely there will be a large proportion of these travellers who will be travelling on from London either by train etc or short haul flights (I used to once when I worked abroad).

I was horrified at the cost of the third runway but when it was shown that they are talking about destroying a village to accommodate it it adds up. Utter madness when viewed realistically.

Spread the additional traffic to Birmingham, Manchester etc, cheaper by far and spreads the benefit country wide. I must say I find flying from Liverpool much nicer than these huge airports.

Onny, Glasgow, nobody lives there or wants to go there?

Alec

over a year ago

This country! You won't be happy until we're back travelling by horse and cart! If we dont buck our ideas up it wont be long until even Greece is laughing at us!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

As the next Mayor of London once said, Heathrow is like Herpes - it never goes away.

By *ex_OnTheBeachCouple
over a year ago

kent ( by the seaside )

Really doesn't make much sense to me, when we have an empty closed airport down here with a very big runway sitting there doing nothing, what's the point of building another runway when there's one crying out to be used?

over a year ago

I live near Heathrow, carry out work at Heathrow and will be effected positively (work) and negatively (more flights over my house)

But if the current business flight hub for the UK is to cope it needs the third runway.

In saying that I also believe Gatwick would really benefit by having another too. ( done work there too)

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Really doesn't make much sense to me, when we have an empty closed airport down here with a very big runway sitting there doing nothing, what's the point of building another runway when there's one crying out to be used? "

Yours doesn't have the infrastructure to support the expected traffic.

over a year ago

here

"Onny, Glasgow, nobody lives there or wants to go there?

Alec"

Emirates don't seem to think so! commitment and investment operating 2 daily services from GLA. Direct service to Dubai and beyond thereby missing out LHR.

By *ex_OnTheBeachCouple
over a year ago

kent ( by the seaside )

"Really doesn't make much sense to me, when we have an empty closed airport down here with a very big runway sitting there doing nothing, what's the point of building another runway when there's one crying out to be used?

"

It could have though, we have dual carriage way all the way to the airport and new roads have been built in the last couple of years, pretty close to the M20 & M25

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Alec

Emirates don't seem to think so! commitment and investment operating 2 daily services from GLA. Direct service to Dubai and beyond thereby missing out LHR.

"

And it takes about as long to get from Glasgow City centre to the airport as it does to get through check in and fly to London.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Really doesn't make much sense to me, when we have an empty closed airport down here with a very big runway sitting there doing nothing, what's the point of building another runway when there's one crying out to be used?

It could have though, we have dual carriage way all the way to the airport and new roads have been built in the last couple of years, pretty close to the M20 & M25 "

We have a huge, fog free runway at Prestwick doing virtually nothing.

over a year ago

here

Alec

And it takes about as long to get from Glasgow City centre to the airport as it does to get through check in and fly to London."

Wouldn't take much to do a fast rail link from centre (central or qs) out the airport.

over a year ago

"One flight every 42 seconds!

"

interesting how you describe the third world, particularly when Heathrow & Gatwick are very much in the equation!

over a year ago

"You can't compare Heathrow to other cities.

"

Depends where the cargo is going/coming from.

Move the airport you increase the strain on our woefully inadequate roads.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Alec

And it takes about as long to get from Glasgow City centre to the airport as it does to get through check in and fly to London.

Wouldn't take much to do a fast rail link from centre (central or qs) out the airport. "

Indeed. The money was in place and the route secured for GARL (Glasgow Airport Rail Link) but the then Scottish Government chose to cancel with the 'promise' of resurrection in the event of a Yes vote in the Referendum.

We know how that worked out.

By *el65Man
over a year ago

paisley

Glasgow is lucky enough along with Edinburgh that we have international long haul flight , I use Stansted every week which is at the moment expanding to do the same, at present it is running under capacity, and is a lot easier to get to and get through than heathrow, heathrow is a shambles I know I used to use it a lot , adding a runway there is not the best idea , ask anyone trying to fly from it , Gatwick, again is like Stansted , under used , so why not put it there ,

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Id force British Airways to become more British again, flying from much more than London. Birmingham should have more flights though seems inevitable that Heathrow would expand.

Post new Message to Thread