Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Shares

Jump to newest

By *lappy OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Thinking of buying some shares for the first but just after some advice really and just wondering what shares over people may have and in which companies ???

Many thanks in advance

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't buy expecting quick returns, but for longer gain. I invest ethically, according my morals and standards too.

You have to be prepared to potentially lose all of your investment, so don't put anything in that you'd need to withdraw, in an emergency etc: it may no longer exist.

Consider those sectors of the market that will always have a commercial basis, even in hard times. It's wise to get advice from multiple fronts, and not from someone who's got a vested interest in you either investing or investing in a specific way. You need to feel free to walk away from them and not be investing at all, following their advice.

You could always have a fantasy investment, where you buy x shares in some companies, and then track their performance. See what you'd learn from it. I did that for a few years and had a few surprises.

Another option is to look at companies that you do business with and see if there any perks offered to shareholders. That way, if your investment has gone tits up, you've at least gained something over time.

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Would never recommend shares to somebody else as the risks are too great.You have to be prepared to lose all your money although that is very rare.

You have to decide what you are looking for, do you want steady income gained from the dividend or are you looking for growth gained from an increase in the share price. This decision will decide what shares you buy.

A good portfolio will have a mix of both types of shares although it is recommended that you have more income stocks than growth.

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"Thinking of buying some shares for the first but just after some advice really and just wondering what shares over people may have and in which companies ???

Many thanks in advance "

Hi. It depends how much you have to invest but initially I would stick to shares in the FTSE 250. No one can time the stock market movements so you are best to take a long term view and where possible aim for a dividend income of at least 3.5 %. You should spread your risk over a variety of different industries . Consider DS Smith Packaging , the Restaurant Grouo, Rolls Royce , Greene King and Glaxo.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

have you considered green technologies? What with us not hitting our quotas ad the big push for R&D in this area I expect a lot of money will be being channelled this way?

I have no clue about this type of stuff btw.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I do a fair bit of trading including shares, currencies and spreads.

Send a message if there is anything specific. Remember, shares go up and down in the short term but longer term its a no brainer.

Just remember, it isnt rocket science but you should treat it as a part time job for serious playing

Post new Message to Thread