Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Highway Robbery Dept

Jump to newest

By *eMontres OP   Man
over a year ago

Halesowen

37 in a 30 on the A4, East Bound at Saltford.

Pure stealth revenue raising camera.

On the way out of Saltford, going down a hill, approaching a 50mph, camera hidden behind trees, no camera deployment signs - yes it's a 30, but no 30 mph signs to remind you. No safety implications.

Yes I'll pay, yes I guess I must have been doing that speed, but ffs, the injustice just pisses me off.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

With the draconian penalties being imposed for speeding, many people now just jump on their brakes whenever the see a speed camera and are unsure of the local speed limit. It used to be that speed limits were largely dictated by road type, 70 mph on dual-carriage ways and motorways, 60 mph on most open roads, 30 mph in urban areas. However, the authorities have seen fit to introduce 50 mph and 20 mph limits, so when I'm on a dual carriageway the speed limit could be anywhere between 40 mph and 70 mph. With reductions in council expenditure limiting grass and tree cutting, speed limit signs are often hidden behind over-grown trees or badly parked lorries to the extent that I'm not always sure what the speed limit is.

over a year ago

No repeater signs means it IS a 30 and you should know this.

There are ONLY gateway/repeater signs when it ISN'T a 30mph section.

As for the camera deployment signs - they aren't always needed dependant on the reason.

Depends if its "camera operators" or police manning the vehicle.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 30/05/15 13:09:13]

over a year ago

Maybe take the speed awareness course if it's offered as an alternative option, you may benefit from it

over a year ago

On a plus point the fine and points are easier to live with vthan the guilt of killing a child and the death by dangerous driving conviction, that is probably the worst case scenario of you not knowing the speed limit and breaking it

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"37 in a 30 on the A4, East Bound at Saltford.

On the way out of Saltford, going down a hill, approaching a 50mph, camera hidden behind trees, no camera deployment signs - yes it's a 30, but no 30 mph signs to remind you. No safety implications.

Yes I'll pay, yes I guess I must have been doing that speed, but ffs, the injustice just pisses me off."

I know how you feel ...... howeverrrrrrrrrr....

If I owed you £37 and insisted only giving you £30 is that okay? Is the £7 insignificant ?

I do know how you feel tho first hand.

over a year ago

Yes I'll pay, yes I guess I must have been doing that speed, but ffs, the injustice just pisses me off."

Hopefully, you will now comply with speed limits.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Some speed limits on straight clear roads in the middle of nowhere are puzzling, but we're stuck with them.

By *eMontres OP   Man
over a year ago

Halesowen

I'm not making excuses. This was in no way outrageous driving and there was no chance of hitting any pedestrians as there weren't any. There were no safety implications of the slight build up of speed going downhill approaching a 50 zone. Yes, I know in the absence of repeater signs, the last one remains in force until posted otherwise. I'm not stupid.

I drive over 25k miles a year and this is the first ticket in over 9 years - I'm very careful.

I can understand cameras being sited where the speed reduces as you enter a town, but this one is deliberately sited to catch people and raise revenue, completely subverting the supposed reason for the deployment of safety cameras.

I'll take the course, but it won't change my driving one jot. I'm a safe driver and I don't intend to change that.

over a year ago

Unluckily my partner was hit by someone not only speeding but d*unk 20+ years later he is still paying the price for someone else's stupidity. Slow down if you don't then be prepared to pay the price for that, how would you feel if you hit and killed someone while speeding ?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

You see on the first post I was thinking ok it seems a bit sneeky to have a camera there but you have to suck it up either way....and then after your last post I have changed my mind to,a pedestrian might not have been there this time but the next time there could be and that 7 miles an hour extra could be the difference between having an injury or ending up in a wooden box.

As you don't think your driving would change after a course then I would take your points and fine

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

They don't have 30 signs to remind you. If there are no small reminder signs then it's a 30. Basic highway code. Also of there are Street lights and a built up area it's a 30

It would piss you off more if you have been hit by someone going that speed in a 30 zone and they got off with it I bet.

And before anyone thinks I'm trying to be whiter than white. I've sped. I've been caught. I've paid the fines. I still occasionally speed and if I am caught I will pay the fines whether or not the camera was visible, had the right signage out, was parked in accordance with whatever ridiculous law they have to adhere to because I chose to drive over the speed limit and got caught.

over a year ago

evesham

"I'm not making excuses. This was in no way outrageous driving and there was no chance of hitting any pedestrians as there weren't any. There were no safety implications of the slight build up of speed going downhill approaching a 50 zone. Yes, I know in the absence of repeater signs, the last one remains in force until posted otherwise. I'm not stupid.

I drive over 25k miles a year and this is the first ticket in over 9 years - I'm very careful.

I can understand cameras being sited where the speed reduces as you enter a town, but this one is deliberately sited to catch people and raise revenue, completely subverting the supposed reason for the deployment of safety cameras.

I'll take the course, but it won't change my driving one jot. I'm a safe driver and I don't intend to change that."

The speed limit is the speed limit until you pass another sign increasing or decreasing that limit. No one is afforded extra speed just because they are going down a hill leading up to a 50 zone, that's a ridiculous argument.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Where I live it's all 20 m.p.h. No one takes any notice.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I'm not making excuses. This was in no way outrageous driving and there was no chance of hitting any pedestrians as there weren't any. There were no safety implications of the slight build up of speed going downhill approaching a 50 zone. Yes, I know in the absence of repeater signs, the last one remains in force until posted otherwise. I'm not stupid.

I'll take the course, but it won't change my driving one jot. I'm a safe driver and I don't intend to change that.

The speed limit is the speed limit until you pass another sign increasing or decreasing that limit. No one is afforded extra speed just because they are going down a hill leading up to a 50 zone, that's a ridiculous argument. "

NOt even if he's on skis ?

over a year ago

I'll take the course, but it won't change my driving one jot. I'm a safe driver and I don't intend to change that."

My sanctimonious view is that if you do not stick to the speed limits, then you are not a safe driver. Safe drivers adhere to the limits (at the very least).

By *eMontres OP   Man
over a year ago

Halesowen

I am going to suck it up and take it on the chin - but this is a revenue camera, not a safety camera.

I've had kids of my own, I'm extremely cautious in towns and anywhere where there is a likelihood of pedestrians.

Being an ex military fast jet pilot, I pride myself on my reactions and risk assessment capabilities. If someone was to run out in front of me and despite my best efforts, the collision killed them, I would be distraught, but would not accept the guilt unless I knew I was doing something unsafe.

This was a momentary lapse as I was not actively monitoring my speed being on an unfamiliar road and looking for a turning, though I know in my heart, my driving was not unsafe for the road or conditions - you may disagree, but that's your prerogative.

As I say, I'm taking it on the chin, I'll smile and do the course and make all the cooing noises they want to hear.

Rules should serve some purpose, in this case, the camera is deliberately sited, without warning signage, to catch, rather than alert, prevent or deter.

Go on streetview and "drive" the route

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

The Rule does serve a purpose.

It's supposed to ensure you keep to speed limits.

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

So you were on an unfamiliar road, distracted looking for a turning, but still think you were being a safe driver?

Uhm, ok.

By *eMontres OP   Man
over a year ago

Halesowen

"So you were on an unfamiliar road, distracted looking for a turning, but still think you were being a safe driver?

Uhm, ok. "

Yes, looking through the windscreen, not at my speedo, or a map, or playing with my phone, but keeping a keen lookout whilst being aware of my speed only by visual information.

I was a mistake, I allowed the gradient of the hill to make the car speed up slightly by a few mph, not enough to cause me any sense of the speed being excessive for the road and conditions.

I'm not looking for sympathy, my intent in posting was partly to vent my frustration at an obvious subversion of the purpose of speed cameras, and to alert other fabsters of this camera in particular, and the devious tactics employed by the highway robbery department in general.

I don't really care what anyone else thinks of my driving.

over a year ago

"I am going to suck it up and take it on the chin - but this is a revenue camera, not a safety camera.

I've had kids of my own, I'm extremely cautious in towns and anywhere where there is a likelihood of pedestrians.

Being an ex military fast jet pilot, I pride myself on my reactions and risk assessment capabilities. If someone was to run out in front of me and despite my best efforts, the collision killed them, I would be distraught, but would not accept the guilt unless I knew I was doing something unsafe.

This was a momentary lapse as I was not actively monitoring my speed being on an unfamiliar road and looking for a turning, though I know in my heart, my driving was not unsafe for the road or conditions - you may disagree, but that's your prerogative.

As I say, I'm taking it on the chin, I'll smile and do the course and make all the cooing noises they want to hear.

Rules should serve some purpose, in this case, the camera is deliberately sited, without warning signage, to catch, rather than alert, prevent or deter.

Go on streetview and "drive" the route"

"Crock of shit" comes to mind.

Might I suggest a ladder for the hole you're digging?

Your driving was not "safe" or you would have been bang on or under the posted limit.

You would have seen the camera signs AND the vehicle - although being at or under the limit it wouldn't matter.

"Ex military fast jet pilot" doesn't make you any better than the next person - I guarantee your reactions are not as fast as they were previously. Simple human nature sees to that.

Might I suggest having a look at the Highway Code and just taking note of the stopping distance at 30mph and 37mph.......

Then come back and talk about your reaction times, good driving, etc.

Before you go - if I was to tell you that on a closed runway, with trained response drivers and timing equipment - less than 0.5% of the top 10% can even match the reaction time necessary to achieve the stopping distance knowing they are doing a test let alone on an unfamiliar road, over the speed limit, not paying attention.

You were not paying attention.

You were speeding.

You at that point were a danger to other road users and pedestrians.

Simple.

over a year ago

My sanctimonious view is that if you do not stick to the speed limits, then you are not a safe driver. Safe drivers adhere to the limits (at the very least). "

Agree totally.

Often the most dangerous drivers are tge ones who shout the loudest about how safe they are

By *eMontres OP   Man
over a year ago

Halesowen

"

Might I suggest having a look at the Highway Code and just taking note of the stopping distance at 30mph and 37mph.......

Before you go - if I was to tell you that on a closed runway, with trained response drivers and timing equipment - less than 0.5% of the top 10% can even match the reaction time necessary to achieve the stopping distance knowing they are doing a test let alone on an unfamiliar road, over the speed limit, not paying attention.

You were speeding.

Simple."

Everyone knows that the highway code stopping distances are complete bollocks, derived from something like a 1950s split windscreen Morris Minor with drum brakes.

Any normal person in a properly maintained car built after 1970 could outperform them.

over a year ago

"

You were speeding.

Simple.

Everyone knows that the highway code stopping distances are complete bollocks, derived from something like a 1950s split windscreen Morris Minor with drum brakes.

Any normal person in a properly maintained car built after 1970 could outperform them."

Wrong - go back and check again.

Then check VOSA, DARA and the others who performed the tests for them.

Hampshire Police even have onboard footage from their testing done at Daedalus so regardless of how "safe" you think you were - you obviously are not.

Or you wouldn't have been that far over a prescribed limit by inattention.

25% over the limit just for the absence of doubt......

Unless of course it was intentional?

over a year ago

evesham

"So you were on an unfamiliar road, distracted looking for a turning, but still think you were being a safe driver?

Uhm, ok.

Yes, looking through the windscreen, not at my speedo, or a map, or playing with my phone, but keeping a keen lookout whilst being aware of my speed only by visual information.

I was a mistake, I allowed the gradient of the hill to make the car speed up slightly by a few mph, not enough to cause me any sense of the speed being excessive for the road and conditions.

I'm not looking for sympathy, my intent in posting was partly to vent my frustration at an obvious subversion of the purpose of speed cameras, and to alert other fabsters of this camera in particular, and the devious tactics employed by the highway robbery department in general.

I don't really care what anyone else thinks of my driving.

"

You clearly do as you keep commenting on posts questioning it.

over a year ago

"I don't really care what anyone else thinks of my driving.

"

I think what you mean is that you don't want to listen to people not telling yoy how amazing your driving is

You clearly care, it's why you keep posting on thus thread with more evidence of how shit your driving actully appears to be

over a year ago

Love the way the fab police have jumped all over this, what if the child had stepped out, what if this had happened, what if my aunty had balls would I call her uncle, I'm sure the op was fully aware of the road conditions, not once has it been said he/she was in a residential area and neither has a time been stated, what if the child was in bed? what if the camera hadn't been there, the op wouldn't of posted and the hypocrites would of been denied a target for their one sided opinions, speed cameras catch out even so called "honest drivers" who creep over the limit, pay the fine op and chin up, your in the wrong place for sympathy

By *litheroevoyeurMan
over a year ago

Clitheroe

The lesson is never ever post about a motoring fine or disqualification because you are the only one on Fab who is in the wrong. The rest of the pedants, forum police and other contributors know better than you and are all better drivers than you. I know it happened to me years ago.

over a year ago

"Love the way the fab police have jumped all over this, what if the child had stepped out, what if this had happened, what if my aunty had balls would I call her uncle, I'm sure the op was fully aware of the road conditions, not once has it been said he/she was in a residential area and neither has a time been stated, what if the child was in bed? what if the camera hadn't been there, the op wouldn't of posted and the hypocrites would of been denied a target for their one sided opinions, speed cameras catch out even so called "honest drivers" who creep over the limit, pay the fine op and chin up, your in the wrong place for sympathy "

I think that "what ifs" are important when it comes to driving.

By *litheroevoyeurMan
over a year ago

Clitheroe

The lesson is never ever post about a motoring fine or disqualification because you are the only one on Fab who is in the wrong. The rest of the pedants, forum police and other contributors know better than you and are all better drivers than you. I know it happened to me years ago.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Sorry OP, rather than a fine, I tend to think of it as a tax on inattentive driving. Every pound raised means one less pound the taxman will ask me for.

It's not the biggest crime in the world, but if you do break the law, even on a technicality, it never pays to argue that you should have been treated differently.

Chin up, and happy motoring

Mr ddc

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I don't really care what anyone else thinks of my driving.

I think what you mean is that you don't want to listen to people not telling yoy how amazing your driving is

You clearly care, it's why you keep posting on thus thread with more evidence of how shit your driving actully appears to be"

I've got this far down the thread.

I think the OP thinks they know how to drive better than the road signs would dictate and that is is fundamentally unfair that a camera has been placed in that precise spot.

It doesn't matter to me why the camera is there. It's doing a job of catching speeding drivers, whether that be for safety or revenue reasons.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Sorry OP, rather than a fine, I tend to think of it as a tax on inattentive driving. Every pound raised means one less pound the taxman will ask me for.

It's not the biggest crime in the world, but if you do break the law, even on a technicality, it never pays to argue that you should have been treated differently.

Chin up, and happy motoring

Mr ddc"

I should have carried on reading. I don't always agree with you Mr ddc but on this one I give a big

over a year ago

Ask for a copy of the calibration certificate and find out the time period of when that type of device has to be calibrated.

Many of the devices out there are illegal because the havent been calibrated. For insance, I think hand helds have to be calibrated every day / week. If they arent they can be deemed not to be reliable and any charges dismissed.

By *ex_OnTheBeachCouple
over a year ago

kent ( by the seaside )

Don't forget to inform your insurance company.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

If it takes ONE fab poster a thread and a half to protest their innocence against 50% forum elitists and know alls.

How many posters does it take to use up 4 and three quarter threads when only 25% of elitists , know alls and objectors are online for 32% of the time?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"If it takes ONE fab poster a thread and a half to protest their innocence against 50% forum elitists and know alls.

How many posters does it take to use up 4 and three quarter threads when only 25% of elitists , know alls and objectors are online for 32% of the time?"

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"If it takes ONE fab poster a thread and a half to protest their innocence against 50% forum elitists and know alls.

How many posters does it take to use up 4 and three quarter threads when only 25% of elitists , know alls and objectors are online for 32% of the time?

"

Close ! I was working to 3d.p sorry.....

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

"

I may be wrong, but aren't they informed automatically nowadays? On the new dvla computer wizardry thingy?

over a year ago

everyone on here who drives has probably gone over the speed limit at some point, including me. I was lucky enough to go on a speed awareness course and I'd suggest you doing the same. It's alarming what speed, stopping distance, driving conditions etc can mean to the difference between life or death.

At the end of the day, you broke the law, have been caught. If you had stuck to 30 you'd be happy.

over a year ago

Ask any parent that's lost a child because a driver was " just a bit" over the limit if they rhinknits okay...

We all speed from time to time, we know its wrong and there are no excuses. If you don't like getting caught - walk.

By *ex_OnTheBeachCouple
over a year ago

kent ( by the seaside )

"

I may be wrong, but aren't they informed automatically nowadays? On the new dvla computer wizardry thingy?"

No they are not, it's up to the driver to declare the information, if they don't and have to make a claim they could find their claim invalidated

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

I may be wrong, but aren't they informed automatically nowadays? On the new dvla computer wizardry thingy?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/10945471/Database-will-end-drivers-lies-on-points-and-cut-car-insurance-by-15.html

over a year ago

"The lesson is never ever post about a motoring fine or disqualification because you are the only one on Fab who is in the wrong. The rest of the pedants, forum police and other contributors know better than you and are all better drivers than you. I know it happened to me years ago."

Nothing to do with pedants, forum police, etc.

We are ALL guilty of motoring offences - FACT.

Try and protest that you drive 100% to the letter of the Highway Code and the Road Traffic Act 1958.....

You don't.

The lesson is don't pretend you do and then come on a public forum and expect everyone to give you a cup of sympathy when you are clearly caught doing so.

Fact of the matter is the OP either CHOSE to break the speed limit at that point or was driving WITHOUT DUE CARE. Both are offences and both carry a penalty.

Toughen up Princess.

over a year ago

"

No - most insurers try to make it a "Contractual requirement" to inform them but it's not automatically passed on or is it in fact a legal requirement UNLESS it is points.

A course has no such requirement UNLESS you insure with the Admiral Group of companies - they require you to inform them under the terms of your contract.

The same as Points are only valid for 3yrs YET Insurers demand to know for 5yrs.

Not law - just contractual.

over a year ago

"

I may be wrong, but aren't they informed automatically nowadays? On the new dvla computer wizardry thingy?

No - most insurers try to make it a "Contractual requirement" to inform them but it's not automatically passed on or is it in fact a legal requirement UNLESS it is points.

A course has no such requirement UNLESS you insure with the Admiral Group of companies - they require you to inform them under the terms of your contract.

The same as Points are only valid for 3yrs YET Insurers demand to know for 5yrs.

Not law - just contractual."

Most insurance companies require you contractually to inform them of any circumstances that could affect their view of your risk. It is normal and quite understandable.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

Gosh these pesky revenue speed cameras.. Wouldn't make a penny if people werent speeding in the first place would they??

After seeing a young girl knocked down and was dead in the road before an ambulance could get to her because a guy was over the speed limit I have no sympathy for anyone that gets fined..

By *errygTV/TS
over a year ago

denton

I think it would be to easy to put speed limit on back of camera hi vis yellow with black 30 sign. there one in Salford 50 limit camera is next to fork in rd 30 limit but that is the fork turn off, I braked hard as it is confusing I think a lot are placed to catch people unawares

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"With the draconian penalties being imposed for speeding, many people now just jump on their brakes whenever the see a speed camera and are unsure of the local speed limit. It used to be that speed limits were largely dictated by road type, 70 mph on dual-carriage ways and motorways, 60 mph on most open roads, 30 mph in urban areas. However, the authorities have seen fit to introduce 50 mph and 20 mph limits, so when I'm on a dual carriageway the speed limit could be anywhere between 40 mph and 70 mph. With reductions in council expenditure limiting grass and tree cutting, speed limit signs are often hidden behind over-grown trees or badly parked lorries to the extent that I'm not always sure what the speed limit is. "

A good reminder in areas where street lighting is used is if you cannot see any repeater signs it is a 30 mph limit regardless of if it`s single or dual carriageway.

over a year ago

I'm well up for as many revenue raising cameras as possible if it means more revenue for public services. After all, it's not a tax because you can opt out of paying it by not speeding in the first place....

over a year ago

Done for 79mph in a 70 limit. Speed awareness course now I completely disagree with this offence.

Speeding in a residential area limit is wrong in my eyes but I never ever see police enforcing the limits! Only on motorways. the threshold should be higher for motorways.

over a year ago

"Done for 79mph in a 70 limit. Speed awareness course now I completely disagree with this offence.

Speeding in a residential area limit is wrong in my eyes but I never ever see police enforcing the limits! Only on motorways. the threshold should be higher for motorways. "

The threshold is generally 10%+2mph so on a motorway you can theoretically get away with 79mph and in a residential/30 limit theoretically 35, very easy to stick to if you ask me.

That being said it's very easy to wander over the limit sometimes unless your eyes are glued to the speedo and that means you're not looking out the windscreen which is probably more dangerous.

over a year ago

If what you've said is true contest and you'll win

over a year ago

"Done for 79mph in a 70 limit. Speed awareness course now I completely disagree with this offence.

Speeding in a residential area limit is wrong in my eyes but I never ever see police enforcing the limits! Only on motorways. the threshold should be higher for motorways.

The threshold is generally 10%+2mph so on a motorway you can theoretically get away with 79mph and in a residential/30 limit theoretically 35, very easy to stick to if you ask me.

That being said it's very easy to wander over the limit sometimes unless your eyes are glued to the speedo and that means you're not looking out the windscreen which is probably more dangerous."

They won't have it. I'm being prosecuted for 79 which is on the limit. Absurd. I guess I could go legal but I can't afford that sort of thing and the hassle just to prove them wrong so I'll have to sit and have if drilled into me that speeding on a 4 lane modern motorway at 6am is a major offence.

over a year ago

Remember "guidelines" are just that.

ACPO can issue them however the Force concerned can choose not to abide by them.

"Zero Tolerance " is fair in some cases.

The amount of vehicles speeding on small side roads is obscene and there is no need.

A 30 going into a 50? Depends on the road.

Several I can think of shouldn't be a 50 so rightly so could be heavily policed.

At the end of the day the OP knew he was over the limit - so end of thread.

over a year ago

That being said it's very easy to wander over the limit sometimes unless your eyes are glued to the speedo and that means you're not looking out the windscreen which is probably more dangerous.

They won't have it. I'm being prosecuted for 79 which is on the limit. Absurd. I guess I could go legal but I can't afford that sort of thing and the hassle just to prove them wrong so I'll have to sit and have if drilled into me that speeding on a 4 lane modern motorway at 6am is a major offence. "

The threshold is discretionary and you can't fight it because you were doing almost 80mph and your speedo would have indicated that quite clearly.

Man up and pay the fine.

We all do it, we know its illegal and we shouldn't moan when we get caught.

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

well on my reckoning, i have about 40 years of "unconvicted" motoring offences.

does that make me a good driver too

over a year ago

"well on my reckoning, i have about 40 years of "unconvicted" motoring offences.

does that make me a good driver too "

You know what I find funny

Past history of good driving cannot be used by the defence

Past history of driving convictions can be used by the prosecution.

Post new Message to Thread