Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sorry your train is delayed somebody could not be bothered to live anymore

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Had anyone seen the story in the paper where someone announced on a Great Western trains "sorry for the delay someone couldn't be bothered to live anymore"

A little bit callous even for a rail company!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

very sad...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Callous, maybe but the person who decided to end it all obviously didn't give two shots about the poor driver of the train, it's passengers or the hundreds of other people their suicide had some effect on.

If people want to kill themselves, go ahead but do it in a way that others aren't involved.

over a year ago

"Had anyone seen the story in the paper where someone announced on a Great Western trains "sorry for the delay someone couldn't be bothered to live anymore"

A little bit callous even for a rail company!! "

Wow that's horrendous! I can imagine working on the railways suicides will cause you a lot of upheaval but still Appalling

Forum Mod

over a year ago

There are kinder and more professional ways of explaining a delay

over a year ago

"Callous, maybe but the person who decided to end it all obviously didn't give two shots about the poor driver of the train, it's passengers or the hundreds of other people their suicide had some effect on.

If people want to kill themselves, go ahead but do it in a way that others aren't involved."

over a year ago

"Callous, maybe but the person who decided to end it all obviously didn't give two shots about the poor driver of the train, it's passengers or the hundreds of other people their suicide had some effect on.

If people want to kill themselves, go ahead but do it in a way that others aren't involved."

over a year ago

I always feel for the driver of the train. It must be so upsetting. My brother used to work for Euro* and had to sometimes clean them, that's awful too. But no excuse for being so unsympathetic

over a year ago

I get where you coming from completely I think it's a very selfish way to go. But the announcer needs to work on his delivery.

I once got stuck for eight hours on the Motorway near Bristol because someone stood on a bridge threatening to jump off. I went through a full range of emotions that day towards them. So did my bladder

over a year ago

"Had anyone seen the story in the paper where someone announced on a Great Western trains "sorry for the delay someone couldn't be bothered to live anymore"

True, but also rather inconsiderate of the person who caused the delay.

A number of years ago, when I suffered with Depression, there were a number of times I felt suicidal, but one of the things that stopped me going through with it was knowing how it would affect others, such as friends and family.

over a year ago

I would suppose that someone desperate enough or ill enough to jump under a train wouldn't be thinking rationally enough to consider the effects on the driver or the passengers.

over a year ago

True, but also rather inconsiderate of the person who caused the delay.

A number of years ago, when I suffered with Depression, there were a number of times I felt suicidal, but one of the things that stopped me going through with it was knowing how it would affect others, such as friends and family."

You're one of the lucky ones then.

over a year ago

If people want to kill themselves, go ahead but do it in a way that others aren't involved.

I get where you coming from completely I think it's a very selfish way to go. But the announcer needs to work on his delivery.

I once got stuck for eight hours on the Motorway near Bristol because someone stood on a bridge threatening to jump off. I went through a full range of emotions that day towards them. So did my bladder "

Yes, the announcer needs to work on his bedside manner, especially as he was probably the least affected person by the whole event.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

may they have found peace in death, that they were so obviously tormented in this one...

over a year ago

A deep and sad misunderstanding of mental health illness or depression has been shown on this thread. Ironic that someone said it's a selfish way to kill yourself.

over a year ago

From my little knowledge of suicide (only no one person to of done it) often its preplanned at least it was in the case of my friend x

over a year ago

Yes I saw that story as my son's journey was disrupted ~ even he as a grumpy teenager managed to convey what happened in a more emphatic way!!

over a year ago

"A deep and sad misunderstanding of mental health illness or depression has been shown on this thread. Ironic that someone said it's a selfish way to kill yourself. "

Nothing ironic about being selfish. Poor driver poor people who have to do the horrendous work of picking him up, poor person who has to tell the family. Poor family and poor commuters.

It's tragic and I harbour no malice to people in that position but it's still selfish.

By *eithoWoman
over a year ago

Chatham

It's almost as if people who are suicidal aren't thinking rationally isn't it.....

over a year ago

My brother committed suicide , we were best friends and I had no idea , I believe he was in a place that it did not enter his thoughts the devastation it would leave behind ,or the people it would effect , I feel deeply for the train driver but it was not his fault .

over a year ago

"may they have found peace in death, that they were so obviously tormented in this one... "

This.

over a year ago

The announcer is an ignorant twat. A complete moron. Suicide is about the worst event anyone has to bear be it the person themselves-though they don't see it like that- or those near to them. Its just so terribly sad. And to go and make that type of statement? I hope he/she was fired.

over a year ago

"A deep and sad misunderstanding of mental health illness or depression has been shown on this thread. Ironic that someone said it's a selfish way to kill yourself.

Nothing ironic about being selfish. Poor driver poor people who have to do the horrendous work of picking him up, poor person who has to tell the family. Poor family and poor commuters.

It's tragic and I harbour no malice to people in that position but it's still selfish.

"

The statement was ironic. In my opinion.

over a year ago

Some train operators care whats said and they agreed to say the same thing as nr.

But the drivers cant be the same sadly

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

how very sad ...my heart goes out to all affected by this

over a year ago

It's almost as if people who are suicidal aren't thinking rationally isn't it....."

Ya think?

They have the sense of mind to make their way to a train track, either by walking, catching a train, cab, bus or even driving themselves but no ability to understand the effects of their actions might have on the people on the train.

I sympathize with anyone who feels there's no other way out other than to end it but there are far less selfish ways of doing it.

By *funtimes.Man
over a year ago

Preston

just how i used to think, then a person head strong with everything to live for so we all thought did just this, illness is not always spotted

over a year ago

"I would suppose that someone desperate enough or ill enough to jump under a train wouldn't be thinking rationally enough to consider the effects on the driver or the passengers. "

over a year ago

I do kind of agree that it is a selfish way out as it impacts on so many people, but I am conflicted as I can't imagine what they must be thinking to not only contemplate suicide, but actually go through with it and think people are better off without them.

A friend of my Mum's recently killed himself in this way, and although I don't personally know him, it's heartbreaking hearing some of the details in the lead up to him taking his life in this way and the effect it's had on his gf. There must have been some rational thought from him though as he left a letter for the train driver apologising...but then how can someone thinking rationally put himself in front of a moving train?

Back to the OP though, it also troubles me how heartless some people can be. How can some people show so little empathy towards another human being, even if they do feel they're an inconvenience.

over a year ago

Usually by the time it gets to this. They aren't thinking at all. Just want a end

Yes its gutting but the drivers the managers the btp and the others have far more to suffer as often its playing on there mind for years to come

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

And the amount of suicide by train that happens in the real world is unreal, and most are never even heard off! I do really feel sorry for the drivers especially when the bodies actually go through the windscreen!

But yes I am sure the announcer who made that call will be severely reprimanded if not disciplined and possibly let go.

By *eithoWoman
over a year ago

Chatham

It's almost as if people who are suicidal aren't thinking rationally isn't it.....

Ya think?

They have the sense of mind to make their way to a train track, either by walking, catching a train, cab, bus or even driving themselves but no ability to understand the effects of their actions might have on the people on the train.

I sympathize with anyone who feels there's no other way out other than to end it but there are far less selfish ways of doing it."

I work in health and the last suicidal patient I spoke to told me despite her drug use and auditory hallucinations, she'd been having a long and torrid affair with David Cameron. He'd now ceased contact with her (via an election broadcast) and she was consequently going to top herself.

I'm not sure the concept of other people's train journeys would've featured, had she managed to go through with it.

over a year ago

Tasteless Yeah.

But apparently a suicide causes an epic problem.

It's a major operation when it happens.

Apparently it happens a lot.

Very few make the papers.

But fucking hell man I wouldn't be expecting to hear that from a reputable company though.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

i heard a story recently of a female train driver who had broke up with her boyfriend ...he commited suicide infront of her train ...unimaginable pain for her

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/05/15 20:21:26]

over a year ago

Being someone whom has been suicidal and ended up in hospital receiving treatment for a suicide attempt i can tell you that right up to the hour before i tried i was fighting with my own emotions. I had 2 small children who were my only reason for living and everytime the thought of ending it all came into my mind i would question myself, who would look after them, provide for them, love them the way i did and I'd come to my senses. Then 1 day something changed and i felt detached from the world and almost invisible/dream like and i went home to end it all and for not 1 second did i think about anyone else, i was functioning but not in a sound mind, luckily for me and my family i failed. I have had a few times when i have had the suicidal feelings again but never got to the detached stage again. The attitude of the train driver was very cold and unsympathetic, i just hope it was shock that caused this reaction and not that he couldn't see the bigger picture. I think that to understand suicide you have to have experienced what it feels like, before i had i thought it was just attention seeking and very selfish.

over a year ago

"Being someone whom has been suicidal and ended up in hospital receiving treatment for a suicide attempt i can tell you that right up to the hour before i tried i was fighting with my own emotions. I had 2 small children who were my only reason for living and everytime the thought of ending it all came into my mind i would question myself, who would look after them, provide for them, love them the way i did and I'd come to my senses. Then 1 day something changed and i felt detached from the world and almost invisible/dream like and i went home to end it all and for not 1 second did i think about anyone else, i was functioning but not in a sound mind, luckily for me and my family i failed. I have had a few times when i have had the suicidal feelings again but never got to the detached stage again. The attitude of the train driver was very cold and unsympathetic, i just hope it was shock that caused this reaction and not that he couldn't see the bigger picture. I think that to understand suicide you have to have experienced what it feels like, before i had i thought it was just attention seeking and very selfish. R.I.P x "

its a shame mental health is a major issue and should be treated serious as cancer

over a year ago

It could be argued that any method of suicide is selfish, someone has to find you and deal with that.

Suicide by a train, even a slow train will almost certainly never fail, a fast train will kill you instantly, you won't know a thing, it can't go wrong. I suspect that is why some people choose it as a method.

People's lack of compassion is saddening. I have every sympathy for those involved in the aftermath but that also extends to anyone that ends their life regardless of circumstances

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

What about the poor train driver..someone s brains splattered all over his windshield.. The post traumatic stress must ruin his life too.. Maybe a rather blunt announcement could stop someone else jumping and ruining loads of lives

By *ex_OnTheBeachCouple
over a year ago

kent ( by the seaside )

It saddens me when I read that someone has attempted or has taken their own life, no matter how they did it,

They must be in a very dark place to even think about ending their life let alone actually doing it. Yes it's awful for those that are affected by the their actions, a train driver, the people that have to retrieve the body from the track, and the family and friends involved.

By *ildckatsCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Well apart from the poor train driver, everybody else even being delayed will still have a life tomorrow maybe got home late but not the end of their world, as for the train company being honest you never hear them say, Sorry the next train is delayed our driver could not be arsed turning up which does happen.

over a year ago

Ya think?

I sympathize with anyone who feels there's no other way out other than to end it but there are far less selfish ways of doing it."

Or they may have been on their way to visit a friend,or going to an appointment,or on their way to work and in a split second they jumped. Would crashing your car into a motorway barrier be less selfish,or a bottle of vodka and a handful of diazepam? Someone has to deal with the aftermath no matter how someone does it. If I'm ever getting to that stage again I'll write myself a note to drown myself at sea.

over a year ago

Ya think?

I sympathize with anyone who feels there's no other way out other than to end it but there are far less selfish ways of doing it.

Or they may have been on their way to visit a friend,or going to an appointment,or on their way to work and in a split second they jumped. Would crashing your car into a motorway barrier be less selfish,or a bottle of vodka and a handful of diazepam? Someone has to deal with the aftermath no matter how someone does it. If I'm ever getting to that stage again I'll write myself a note to drown myself at sea. "

Crashing my car, yes equally selfish, possibly more so because there's a high chance others could be killed.

Bottle of vodka and pull, not quite so selfish because it would only involve myself in the act.

over a year ago

Ya think?

Or they may have been on their way to visit a friend,or going to an appointment,or on their way to work and in a split second they jumped. Would crashing your car into a motorway barrier be less selfish,or a bottle of vodka and a handful of diazepam? Someone has to deal with the aftermath no matter how someone does it. If I'm ever getting to that stage again I'll write myself a note to drown myself at sea.

Crashing my car, yes equally selfish, possibly more so because there's a high chance others could be killed.

Bottle of vodka and pull, not quite so selfish because it would only involve myself in the act."

*pills*

over a year ago

Ya think?

Or they may have been on their way to visit a friend,or going to an appointment,or on their way to work and in a split second they jumped. Would crashing your car into a motorway barrier be less selfish,or a bottle of vodka and a handful of diazepam? Someone has to deal with the aftermath no matter how someone does it. If I'm ever getting to that stage again I'll write myself a note to drown myself at sea. "

The vodka and diazepan would be far less selfish than jumping in front of a train.

By *allipygousMan
over a year ago

Leicester

My train was delayed not so long ago due to a suicide and all I thought was "selfish twat" for disrupting my journey.

If I'd have been on the train when that announcement was made it would've put a wry smile on my face.

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

"My train was delayed not so long ago due to a suicide and all I thought was "selfish twat" for disrupting my journey.

If I'd have been on the train when that announcement was made it would've put a wry smile on my face."

I've been on a train where it has been delayed by a suicide, but my first thought was sadness for their family. I hope i never become as cynical as you!.

over a year ago

"My train was delayed not so long ago due to a suicide and all I thought was "selfish twat" for disrupting my journey.

If I'd have been on the train when that announcement was made it would've put a wry smile on my face."

Consider yourself lucky that you haven't had someone close to you take their lives then. Would hate for you to be inconvenienced by that.

By *allipygousMan
over a year ago

Leicester

If I'd have been on the train when that announcement was made it would've put a wry smile on my face.

I've been on a train where it has been delayed by a suicide, but my first thought was sadness for their family. I hope i never become as cynical as you!. "

Guess that makes you a better human than me then. Well done you.

By *allipygousMan
over a year ago

Leicester

If I'd have been on the train when that announcement was made it would've put a wry smile on my face.Consider yourself lucky that you haven't had someone close to you take their lives then. Would hate for you to be inconvenienced by that. "

Had a cousin jump off a multistory carpark. That was a stupid, selfish act which could've killed an innocent passerby.

over a year ago

I read your post and name and thought Africa.

And was right! Leave it to everyone to fill in the blanks........

over a year ago

My husband took his own life by jumping in front of a train and he didn't have a selfish bone his body. When he left for work that day evidence proves he had no intentions of leaving this world that day. Something happened that afternoon and he stood up from his desk and his body took him to the station. CCTV shows he was void of any emotion and not in control of his actions. Human instinct is to survive. Jumping in front of a train goes against every rational instinct we have.

If feel sick to my soul for the driver, rail workers and onlookers. I wrote to the drive to apologise and know my husband would have been devastated by his uncontrollably action. I feel sick to my soul for my husband that death was a better option. There are no winners just loss and sadness.

Being late home one night really isn't so bad is it.

This thread has certainly opened my eyes!!!

By *allipygousMan
over a year ago

Leicester

And was right! Leave it to everyone to fill in the blanks........"

I'm thick, can you fill in the blanks for me please?

over a year ago

Eh? What the actual........?

over a year ago

"My husband took his own life by jumping in front of a train and he didn't have a selfish bone his body. When he left for work that day evidence proves he had no intentions of leaving this world that day. Something happened that afternoon and he stood up from his desk and his body took him to the station. CCTV shows he was void of any emotion and not in control of his actions. Human instinct is to survive. Jumping in front of a train goes against every rational instinct we have.

If feel sick to my soul for the driver, rail workers and onlookers. I wrote to the drive to apologise and know my husband would have been devastated by his uncontrollably action. I feel sick to my soul for my husband that death was a better option. There are no winners just loss and sadness.

This thread has certainly opened my eyes!!! "

Exactly what i said earlier, you become detached. I woke in the morning like any other, yes i was down and had thought about suicide but i was always rational. Something happened later in the day and i was on auto pilot, when i think of that hour or so before,it was like a dream.

I am sorry for the loss of your husband x I hope you have managed to grieve properly with so many unanswered questions and so many different emotions you have had to deal with x

It is very traumatic for those having to deal with someones suicide but what person would never dream of such an act if they were thinking straight. Unfortunately everyone involved is a victim x

By *hatterfabWoman
over a year ago

Wakefield

over a year ago

"My husband took his own life by jumping in front of a train and he didn't have a selfish bone his body. When he left for work that day evidence proves he had no intentions of leaving this world that day. Something happened that afternoon and he stood up from his desk and his body took him to the station. CCTV shows he was void of any emotion and not in control of his actions. Human instinct is to survive. Jumping in front of a train goes against every rational instinct we have.

This thread has certainly opened my eyes!!!

Exactly what i said earlier, you become detached. I woke in the morning like any other, yes i was down and had thought about suicide but i was always rational. Something happened later in the day and i was on auto pilot, when i think of that hour or so before,it was like a dream.

I am sorry for the loss of your husband x I hope you have managed to grieve properly with so many unanswered questions and so many different emotions you have had to deal with x

It is very traumatic for those having to deal with someones suicide but what person would never dream of such an act if they were thinking straight. Unfortunately everyone involved is a victim x "

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

I'm afraid to say that as someone who used to travel on the train a lot, I've encountered delays many times thanks to people jumping in front of trains. And although it was sad that lots of people seemed to be doing it (or maybe I was just unlucky and kept catching them), I have to admit that in the end I became desensitised to it and just got sick of the inconvenience.

Lost wages, missed appointments, missed time with family, ruined Christmases, hours-upon-hours stranded...

No, there is no unselfish way to commit suicide... and I don't agree with how the anouncement was made but train workers must see this so often.

over a year ago

I can relate to this thread as I recently lost my youngest brother to suicide

over a year ago

As a rail employee, reading this is awful, the employee will 100% be sacked for this, completely insensitive. You must be in an awful mindset to want to take you life this way, some people see it as selfish but i personally see it as tragic. The situation itself is devestating and i'd never like anyone to deal with the situations i've been in but to call someone ''selfish'' is incredibly insensitive, if you've never been in that mindset then why judge?

over a year ago

This thread has certainly opened my eyes!!! "

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple
over a year ago

near cardiff

From the point of _iew of the rail staff - how many times can you watch people jump in front of your train? How many collegues do you have to work with, who have also had people jump in front of their train? How about all the customers who go into rage about the constant delays and take it out on staff? Eventually you're going to lose compassion, go mad, or quit. It's a really difficult position because train drivers and rail staff aren't trained mental health care professionals, but thay do deal with extreme situations that obviously are traumatic. In no way am I criticising people who have committed suicide, it's a terrible and awful place to want to die, and it's a horrible thing to survive a loved ones suicide, but I think people underestimate the impact suicide by train has on rail staff

over a year ago

"I would suppose that someone desperate enough or ill enough to jump under a train wouldn't be thinking rationally enough to consider the effects on the driver or the passengers. "

over a year ago

If people want to kill themselves, go ahead but do it in a way that others aren't involved. "

Except they don't want to kill themselves.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Hope she gets sacked, there's ways of saying certain things and this wasn't the right way.

over a year ago

"I can relate to this thread as I recently lost my youngest brother to suicide "

I'm sorry for your loss Jack. xx

By *erdita Von TeaseWoman
over a year ago

nottingham

Really? It would of put a smile on your face that somebody was either so desperately unhappy, vulnerable and and such a low point in their life that they could see no other way out of their misery than to take their own life? Do you know the reason they did this? They could of lost a child and not been able to deal with their grief, could of had some kind of illness where they could not take the pain they were living with or could of been suffering from some kind of severe mental illness. I can't see much to smile about

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

As for suicide being a selfish act, let's hope your all fighting against mental health cut backs then possibly there won't be as many suicides.

Walk a mile in their shoes before you make judgements

over a year ago

I used to think that. But your mum finding her son hanging at home. Horrid. Your putting strangers through the pain that your not wanting to put your family through

By *arkstaffsMan
over a year ago

Rugeley

Sadly it is a very common occurance for someone to, for whatever reason, decide to end their life in this way. Very sad but a fact. They are treated with due dignity and respect, yes delays are caused but compared to the sadness that is irrelevant. Samaritans are always there to talk to, the number is on most stations now.

over a year ago

Theres really some callous replys on here ... someone so desperate and depressed that they saw no hope and took their own life and all you can think about is how much time money and inconvenience its cost you . Please god i hope with all my heart you never have to go through anything like that . Sleep well .

By *remiumChocolate_milkMan
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

"

Really? It would of put a smile on your face that somebody was either so desperately unhappy, vulnerable and and such a low point in their life that they could see no other way out of their misery than to take their own life? Do you know the reason they did this? They could of lost a child and not been able to deal with their grief, could of had some kind of illness where they could not take the pain they were living with or could of been suffering from some kind of severe mental illness. I can't see much to smile about"

People don't jump in front of trains because they can't cope with pain, surely?

I used to work on a health helpline and when I first started, I took everything seriously but when you hear the same kind of thing so often it's just like a 'another say at the office' kind of thing.

The announcer is guilty of unprofessionalism.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

When I worked for the railways.... We use to have to call it an "incident" that was almost like a codeword ....

Remember that if your train is delayed by an hour that you can claim half the money back... And if more than 2 then all of it....

It was almost like a race to the scene between civilian police, and the British transport police.... The BTP were always quicker with the "clean up" so to speak

Remember that it is in effect a crime scene till they clear it up... And I have seen more that 1 train driver being devastated by what they go thru

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

There are two separate issues here. Firstly the issue of suicide. Unfortunately you will never get everyone to agree to one _iew of suicide. Some see it as selfish as they believe they have not thought of the onward repercussions of their actions and there are some who see or have lived through the mental health issues that drove some people to have suicidal thoughts.

The second issue is the reaction of the announcer. Without doubt it is a terrible thing to see someone throw themselves under a train and I can imagine if you have seen it before you harden yourself to it and perhaps develop a black humour about it but as an employee of the train company you have a duty of care go those on your train and a requirement to act professionally at times like this.

How are they to know that everyone on that train appreciates that sort of humour. There could be those on board who have recently lost loved ones and so a flippant comment like that could cause more upset than simply announcing there had been an incident.

National rail and the samaritans work closely to try to reduce suicide numbers but they also provide a service to help those affected by this type of suicide, giving them someone to talk to, to listen etc.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Wtf?!!

I wonder if others are also filling in the blanks at your comments!

I travel on Southern trains, London Bridge to Victoria. In my bag I have vouchers totalling £30, refunds on fares caused by delays for this year alone. The chaos at London Bridge makes the papers: my train hasn't run on time since November and three times I've been charged a penalty for taking too long to complete my journey after they've cancelled my train!

One night two suicides and signal failure meant instead of a one hour twenty minutes round trip four hours was spent.

Yeah...callous and crass ccomment but after a while your sympathy evaporates.

By *otgymfitanymoreCouple
over a year ago

pontefract

Mental health is a big issue that many don't understand, but in situations like this it's the rail staff, customers and anyone else who has to see or deal with the aftermath of incidents like this.

In stories like this people tend to only think of the deceased as the ones who need sympathy.

By *unseeker34Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"A deep and sad misunderstanding of mental health illness or depression has been shown on this thread. Ironic that someone said it's a selfish way to kill yourself.

"

The person contemplating and sometimes then commiting suicide mostly believe they are worthless, a nuisance, a hindrance etc etc.

I know sadly from personal experience (my husband.....my girls daddy) that these people genuinely think the world will be a better place without them, especially for the people closest to them.

My husband was suffering and due to addiction and all the issues that go along with it myself and my girls were suffering too......he believed he would save us from his damaging lifestyle that was really starting to cause us problems.

I truly believe it was the most unselfish thing he ever did, to think what was going thru his mind at this time!?! I was the one who found him and had to tell his children their daddy had died, I'm the one bringing my children up without a father.......and yet I have never experienced anger towards him for this.......which considering anger is a normal phase in the grief cycle is unusual, even had he died in more 'normal' circumstances.

So to cut a long story short, life goes on.......even for those affected by a persons suicide, the inconvenience to those affected simply by the delay caused by a persons decision to end their lives is in my opinion negligible.

So I for one would like to say RIP to the troubled soul who died and I hope his loved ones can find peace. I also hope those directly affected (driver, witnesses, clean up crew etc) can find the strength to move on with their lives with as little turmoil as possible.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I have learned that death ( whenever/however it comes ) is a part of life.

Life must really be empty for some people on here -

Why else would they show such disrespect and indifference to a fellow human reaching the end of their days?

It is very telling about the :- lives, relationships and emotional state of the living when they can denounce the dead.

I wish them compassion when they meet their end and inevitably, they will.

over a year ago

"

To be fair I know a train driver who says every day he's wishing for a suicide he's only 1 away from being allowed to retire on his sill pension right away

over a year ago

It's the driver of the train I feel the most for. They see someone in the way and they can't do a thing to avoid it.

They get counselling but nothing will take that image from them.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

There should be compassion for ALL that included the deceased.

Sometimes people choose the wrong direction in which to focus their anger. Oft it's the easiest target. Nothing much easier than a dead man.

over a year ago

"I have learned that death ( whenever/however it comes ) is a part of life.

Why else would they show such disrespect and indifference to a fellow human reaching the end of their days?

It is very telling about the :- lives, relationships and emotional state of the living when they can denounce the dead.

I wish them compassion when they meet their end and inevitably, they will."

Because people hold different opinions to yours based on the experience and mindset on them does not mean they live empty lives. What a ridiculous sweeping statement.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Because people hold different opinions to yours based on the experience and mindset on them does not mean they live empty lives. What a ridiculous sweeping statement. "

It's the resort of the vaccuous to attempt to ridicule someone's statement rather than offer a different point of _iew.

I won't ridicule your posts. It's cheap.

over a year ago

"Mental health is a big issue that many don't understand, but in situations like this it's the rail staff, customers and anyone else who has to see or deal with the aftermath of incidents like this.

In stories like this people tend to only think of the deceased as the ones who need sympathy."

This thread disproves your last paragraph!

over a year ago

Because people hold different opinions to yours based on the experience and mindset on them does not mean they live empty lives. What a ridiculous sweeping statement.

It's the resort of the vaccuous to attempt to ridicule someone's statement rather than offer a different point of _iew.

I won't ridicule your posts. It's cheap."

Ha it's the resort of the vacuous to hide behind an insult. And there is a different point of _iew in the statement sorry if you can't quite see it.

over a year ago

No emptiness here, I've just grown a little immune to it through my particular life experiences. I spent a good few years as a kid on a children's cancer ward and saw the bravest of all people fighting for their lives and losing. I've been a soldier and seen mass graves, ethnic cleansing, suicide bombers, every horrific act man can do to another and people trying to pick their lives up and make their world a better place out of it all.

I've also had several very close family members attempt and succeed in committing suicide. I have sympathy for them but ultimately I have far more respect for those that continue to fight their demons and adversities than those who decide to end it all.

You could say that's a cold outlook and you'd probably be right in some cases but I know a lot of people who are happy they didn't decide to end it or glad they failed.

By *andy_tomMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

"There are kinder and more professional ways of explaining a delay"

agreed ,

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"The announcer is an ignorant twat. A complete moron. Suicide is about the worst event anyone has to bear be it the person themselves-though they don't see it like that- or those near to them. Its just so terribly sad. And to go and make that type of statement? I hope he/she was fired. "
. Sadly , the train driver cannot just slam on the brakes and avoid someone in this situation. It is the various rail company employees that have to both clean up and clear this mess, hardly a pleasant task. It is very easy to express sympathy when it is only words and has no impact on your personally . The driver may not have used the best choice of words , but no matter how it is worded , someone has committed suicide .

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

My OH still shudders as he drives by the Oracle as he had a jumper land right infront of him on the road from the carpark roof.

He stayed with him till ambulance and police arrived. Awful experience for him.

over a year ago

No emptiness here, I've just grown a little immune to it through my particular life experiences. I spent a good few years as a kid on a children's cancer ward and saw the bravest of all people fighting for their lives and losing. I've been a soldier and seen mass graves, ethnic cleansing, suicide bombers, every horrific act man can do to another and people trying to pick their lives up and make their world a better place out of it all.

I've also had several very close family members attempt and succeed in committing suicide. I have sympathy for them but ultimately I have far more respect for those that continue to fight their demons and adversities than those who decide to end it all.

You could say that's a cold outlook and you'd probably be right in some cases but I know a lot of people who are happy they didn't decide to end it or glad they failed."

Sorry your life experience does not count for jot when forming an opinion that differs to hers. You have been judged accordingly.

over a year ago

evesham

You could say that's a cold outlook and you'd probably be right in some cases but I know a lot of people who are happy they didn't decide to end it or glad they failed."

Pretty sure those who feel that it's better for them to end their life aren't really concerned about your respect to be honest.

over a year ago

You could say that's a cold outlook and you'd probably be right in some cases but I know a lot of people who are happy they didn't decide to end it or glad they failed.

Pretty sure those who feel that it's better for them to end their life aren't really concerned about your respect to be honest. "

True enough.

over a year ago

".

Yup best failure of my life.

even if it took a few years to realise that.

over a year ago

".

"

Glad you came through the other side and have managed to move forward.

over a year ago

I think that it's worth mentioning that the train companies have a lot of support mechanisms in place for any drivers involved in a fatality. BTP police officers are no different to any othet police officers in that dealing with dead bodies however unpleasant is part of their job. The remains are removed by specially trained funeral directors amd again it's part and parcel of the job. People are making an awful lot of assumptions about the people it impacts on.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

often on the Internet, life is highly disposable.

until it is someone close.

over a year ago

"I always feel for the driver of the train. It must be so upsetting. My brother used to work for Euro* and had to sometimes clean them, that's awful too. But no excuse for being so unsympathetic "

My dad once had a kid play chicken in front of the train he was driving it caused no end of psychological pain! So people if u choose not to live anymore please please please think of the people you will affect!

over a year ago

Perhaps the person that said it was distressed that yet another person had ended their life this way. People that have to deal with the aftermath/ clean up are human too. I can't begin to imagine what that must be like. Pretty sure it would end up tearing at my soul though.

So although it's a shitty thing to say, I can understand where it may have come from.

over a year ago

"I think that it's worth mentioning that the train companies have a lot of support mechanisms in place for any drivers involved in a fatality. BTP police officers are no different to any othet police officers in that dealing with dead bodies however unpleasant is part of their job. The remains are removed by specially trained funeral directors amd again it's part and parcel of the job. People are making an awful lot of assumptions about the people it impacts on.

"

The remains are actually removed by the Police as its treated as a crime scene. Undertakers are trackside once it's all been gathered up by the Police it's the Polices job to examine any identifying marks on the body and even have the unpleasant task of using a mobile fingerprinting device on what part of the fingers they can salvage. I know this because my friend did it and had to rub a hand in his hair once to obtain the necessary grease to get the finger scanner to work as it won't work very well on dry skin. You have to be a particular type of person to remain firm and professional in those circumstances.

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

Perhaps the person that said it was distressed that yet another person had ended their life this way. People that have to deal with the aftermath/ clean up are human too. I can't begin to imagine what that must be like. Pretty sure it would end up tearing at my soul though.

So although it's a shitty thing to say, I can understand where it may have come from. "

. And sadly the driver can take no course of action to avoid hitting someone . Unlike in a car you may be able to steer around the person , it can take up to a mile to stop a train travelling at full speed. . The driver was probably in a state of shock.

over a year ago

some incredibly harsh comments on here.

After the death of my son, I was driving home 1 evening, and swerved into the other lane straight into the path of an on coming hgv.

It wasn't planned, I would never have thought I was capable of it.

Luckily he manage to miss me. afterwards neither of us could figure out how.

At the time I was not of a rational mind, nor thinking about the effect it would have on anybody else.

I just wanted the pain to stop. To stop feeling like I was ripping apart.

By *unseeker34Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

[Removed by poster at 24/05/15 11:50:20]

over a year ago

".

Glad you came through the other side and have managed to move forward."

Yep life is now full of fast bikes, dirty women and awesome food.

When your better on the other side it's hard to see how on earth you thought it was the answer

But when your there it's hard to see how there was any other answer.

over a year ago

i find that a very disturbing comment -

over a year ago

Think about it from the driver's point of _iew. There was nothing he could do accept apply the brakes and avert his eyes. Think of the needless trauma that driver is going through. I'd be pretty pissed off too if I were that driver I think I could probably think of worse things to say

over a year ago

i find that a very disturbing comment - "

Read my post about life experience a few posts up and maybe that will put a little context to my initial post.

By *otgymfitanymoreCouple
over a year ago

pontefract

i find that a very disturbing comment - "

I agree with the above post, it doesn't make it ok to have such an impact on others peoples lives because someone decides their life isn't worth living anymore!

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Measured and wise comments

By *bfoxxxMan
over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

Well done. I like it. I'm getting sick of all the PC Crap and corporate speak.

Tell it straight.

I saw the remains of someone on the main line at Lancaster once.

A pair of trousers, the rest was unrecognisable bits splattered everywhere.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Measured and wise comments "

I agree

over a year ago

i keep coming back to this - trying to comment then a mixture of sorrow and anger get the better of me - i dont care how much horror you may have seen - how much sadness you have suffered - how black and white some see it - how selfish you think it is or how difficult an act it is to go through - just be grateful you are not in the desperate place the person was that was involved

over a year ago

evesham

"i keep coming back to this - trying to comment then a mixture of sorrow and anger get the better of me - i dont care how much horror you may have seen - how much sadness you have suffered - how black and white some see it - how selfish you think it is or how difficult an act it is to go through - just be grateful you are not in the desperate place the person was that was involved "

Greatest comment so far.

By *bfoxxxMan
over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

"i keep coming back to this - trying to comment then a mixture of sorrow and anger get the better of me - i dont care how much horror you may have seen - how much sadness you have suffered - how black and white some see it - how selfish you think it is or how difficult an act it is to go through - just be grateful you are not in the desperate place the person was that was involved

Greatest comment so far. "

Have to agree with that.

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

What a heartless comment to make

I hope seriously that the member of staff concerned is disciplined

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

Measured and wise comments "

over a year ago

Suicide doesn't tend to go hand in hand with thinking of others, the only thought is "I need to end this" nothing else will register.

You can't expect someone who is about to throw themselves in front of a speeding train to think rationally.

over a year ago

This thread disturbs me so many of you have such horrid _iews on this.

You could call anything selfish choosing to smoke knowing it could cause cancer, suicide, joining the military.

Every action you do could affect someone else in a way that could be seen as selfish.

I pray none of you ever have to face mental illness or disability. Some people who commit suicide have a disability like bipolar which is a chemical imbalance so they feel suicidal for no reason at all. They don't think they just end their life.

Take a second, educate yourself have a think befor you judge and God I hope you never have anyone in your family or you personally have to deal with this.

Shame on you for judging them.

This thread has made me realise why people with mental health face it alone and often lose the battle look how judgemental you all are.

You wouldn't call someone who dies from cancer from smoking selfish.

By *amelhunterMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"This thread disturbs me so many of you have such horrid _iews on this.

You could call anything selfish choosing to smoke knowing it could cause cancer, suicide, joining the military.

Every action you do could affect someone else in a way that could be seen as selfish.

I pray none of you ever have to face mental illness or disability. Some people who commit suicide have a disability like bipolar which is a chemical imbalance so they feel suicidal for no reason at all. They don't think they just end their life.

Take a second, educate yourself have a think befor you judge and God I hope you never have anyone in your family or you personally have to deal with this.

This thread has made me realise why people with mental health face it alone and often lose the battle look how judgemental you all are.

"

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

"

over a year ago

Bet it raised a laugh amongst the commuters who were held up!

over a year ago

"Bet it raised a laugh amongst the commuters who were held up!"

Seriously!

over a year ago

Not the most professional way to go about things, rail companies do have scripts for all these events and sometimes it is best to stick to them.

My job involves going to incidents on the railway and trust me when someone has been hit by a train it is not pretty and definitely not a laughing matter but we always try to stay upbeat and yes sometimes we will have a joke but if you didn't you wouldn't be able to do the job (never where the public can see or hear us though)

I have also seen the effects that the stress levels cause for some of the drivers and it can send them down the unwanted road of depression.

over a year ago

"Not the most professional way to go about things, rail companies do have scripts for all these events and sometimes it is best to stick to them.

My job involves going to incidents on the railway and trust me when someone has been hit by a train it is not pretty and definitely not a laughing matter but we always try to stay upbeat and yes sometimes we will have a joke but if you didn't you wouldn't be able to do the job (never where the public can see or hear us though)

I have also seen the effects that the stress levels cause for some of the drivers and it can send them down the unwanted road of depression. "

Thank god for strong and brave people like you x

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

Got a Friend who was a driver one day someone stood on the track to end it all my friend says he will never forget this persons eyes staring right into his. My friend as never been the same person since has bad night mares can not get those eyes out of his mind and had to finish work never drove a train again

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Not the most professional way to go about things, rail companies do have scripts for all these events and sometimes it is best to stick to them.

I have also seen the effects that the stress levels cause for some of the drivers and it can send them down the unwanted road of depression. "

over a year ago

I have also seen the effects that the stress levels cause for some of the drivers and it can send them down the unwanted road of depression.

Thank god for strong and brave people like you x"

Thank you x

By *d871Man
over a year ago

nowhere

If self euthanasia was legal, accompanied by protocols including mandatory counselling this would not happen. We euthanase pets when they are suffering, why not give humans the right to seek dignity and a means to find relief when quality of life is lost? Counselling will also help those who are in need of it. The mental health system in this country is in chaos, an urgent re_iew is long overdue.

That said, the OP is right, GWR must do better!

over a year ago

"

There are some completely heartless Nobbs on this thread.

By *uckandbunnyCouple
over a year ago

In your bed

But of course it's free reign on the announcer who none of us know.

Who may have been effected by their own experiences with this previously.

They may have known other drivers who can no longer work or take their own lives following events like this.

over a year ago

I remember being upset by this when i read about it first time, yes the announcer may have been angered or upset by them doing this BUT they should remain a level of professionalism or go into another job,

My dad was a police officer and her saw some truly harrowing scenes and had to remove body parts from a line numerous times, yes it upset him & left images he wont be able to unsee but the one thing he always said was 'what must that person have been going through that they thought this was the only answer'

That is what I always think when I hear someone has commited suicide and I have had someone very close to me do it also and I never once thought they were selfish I was just upset I couldnt help keep them here!

over a year ago

"But of course it's free reign on the announcer who none of us know.

Who may have been effected by their own experiences with this previously.

They may have known other drivers who can no longer work or take their own lives following events like this."

Let's hope they don't take their own lives by jumping in front of a train.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/06/15 14:10:41]

over a year ago

"My job involves going to incidents on the railway and trust me when someone has been hit by a train it is not pretty and definitely not a laughing matter but we always try to stay upbeat and yes sometimes we will have a joke but if you didn't you wouldn't be able to do the job (never where the public can see or hear us though)

"

I think this is the point and why her comments caused such an outcry. Pretty much everyone that works with death will have developed a very black sense of humour as a coping mechanism. That humour shouldn't ever be shared with the public though, it's a line that should never be crossed!

over a year ago

"My job involves going to incidents on the railway and trust me when someone has been hit by a train it is not pretty and definitely not a laughing matter but we always try to stay upbeat and yes sometimes we will have a joke but if you didn't you wouldn't be able to do the job (never where the public can see or hear us though)

I think this is the point and why her comments caused such an outcry. Pretty much everyone that works with death will have developed a very black sense of humour as a coping mechanism. That humour shouldn't ever be shared with the public though, it's a line that should never be crossed!"

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"I think that it's worth mentioning that the train companies have a lot of support mechanisms in place for any drivers involved in a fatality. BTP police officers are no different to any othet police officers in that dealing with dead bodies however unpleasant is part of their job. The remains are removed by specially trained funeral directors amd again it's part and parcel of the job. People are making an awful lot of assumptions about the people it impacts on.

The remains are actually removed by the Police as its treated as a crime scene. Undertakers are trackside once it's all been gathered up by the Police it's the Polices job to examine any identifying marks on the body and even have the unpleasant task of using a mobile fingerprinting device on what part of the fingers they can salvage. I know this because my friend did it and had to rub a hand in his hair once to obtain the necessary grease to get the finger scanner to work as it won't work very well on dry skin. You have to be a particular type of person to remain firm and professional in those circumstances. "

Yes I agree And Not just in those type of circumstance,s either in other crime Scene,s too.

over a year ago

This.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/06/15 15:17:36]

over a year ago

Why cant they just move the body of the train quick? Takes just 2min to move. No need to have delays for hours.

over a year ago

They have to investigate and clean it up shag. People don't want the 3:15 from Euston pulling up splattered in some poor persons blood. Besides the body is sometimes in a few pieces that need finding.

Think they may have to check the train over and perhaps swap the driver too if they are traumatised.

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"As for suicide being a selfish act, let's hope your all fighting against mental health cut backs then possibly there won't be as many suicides.

Walk a mile in their shoes before you make judgements

"

agree with you there there is not enough out there

to jump under a train shows the depths of despair .. very very sad... and a nasty way to announce it

over a year ago

"They have to investigate and clean it up shag. People don't want the 3:15 from Euston pulling up splattered in some poor persons blood. Besides the body is sometimes in a few pieces that need finding.

Think they may have to check the train over and perhaps swap the driver too if they are traumatised. "

Yes good idea as it becomes a crime scene investigation yeah as driver might be in shook too.

over a year ago

I think this is the point and why her comments caused such an outcry. Pretty much everyone that works with death will have developed a very black sense of humour as a coping mechanism. That humour shouldn't ever be shared with the public though, it's a line that should never be crossed!"

Very thick skin and, as you said, a very black sense of humour about it. Very similar to battlefield humour. When you've been around death from an early age it's quite literally the only way to cope with it. It doesn't mean you don't have compassion, it just means you're dealing with it.

over a year ago

"Why cant they just move the body of the train quick? Takes just 2min to move. No need to have delays for hours."

Do you have any idea how disrupted a body is after it has been hit by a train?

over a year ago

"Why cant they just move the body of the train quick? Takes just 2min to move. No need to have delays for hours.

Do you have any idea how disrupted a body is after it has been hit by a train?"

Yes I kinda have when been watching SCI, yeah cos no parts can be on the track so they have to check everything.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Why cant they just move the body of the train quick? Takes just 2min to move. No need to have delays for hours.

Do you have any idea how disrupted a body is after it has been hit by a train?Yes I kinda have when been watching SCI, yeah cos no parts can be on the track so they have to check everything."

shag, CSI or any programme on mainstream telly doesn't go anywhere near the level of what happens when a train hits a person..

its not pretty and its very messy both at the impact area, under the train and where the train stops..

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Why cant they just move the body of the train quick? Takes just 2min to move. No need to have delays for hours."
one it instantly becomes a crine scene untill other wise indicated by the coroner or his assistants two the body may parts may be spread anything upto quarter of a mile or lodged around the parts of the train 3 the train crew involved are quite rightly taken off duty at the first available opportunity 4 the body may have damaged safety equipment both on the train or on the track 5 there will be a multitude of non trained personel on the track to recover said body parts do you think its a really good idea to run trains through that area ?

over a year ago

I once got stuck for eight hours on the Motorway near Bristol because someone stood on a bridge threatening to jump off. I went through a full range of emotions that day towards them. So did my bladder "

Was that a couple of years back. If it was by avonmouth it was a driver for comet.

over a year ago

"Why cant they just move the body of the train quick? Takes just 2min to move. No need to have delays for hours.one it instantly becomes a crine scene untill other wise indicated by the coroner or his assistants two the body may parts may be spread anything upto quarter of a mile or lodged around the parts of the train 3 the train crew involved are quite rightly taken off duty at the first available opportunity 4 the body may have damaged safety equipment both on the train or on the track 5 there will be a multitude of non trained personel on the track to recover said body parts do you think its a really good idea to run trains through that area ?"
You are right there as different parts might be scattered everywhere and no wouldn't be a good idea to run any trains the day, but how do they come home, does the company organise a taxi?.

over a year ago

I once got stuck for eight hours on the Motorway near Bristol because someone stood on a bridge threatening to jump off. I went through a full range of emotions that day towards them. So did my bladder

Was that a couple of years back. If it was by avonmouth it was a driver for comet. "

Yes I believe the poor chap jumped.

over a year ago

Do you have any idea how disrupted a body is after it has been hit by a train?Yes I kinda have when been watching SCI, yeah cos no parts can be on the track so they have to check everything.

shag, CSI or any programme on mainstream telly doesn't go anywhere near the level of what happens when a train hits a person..

its not pretty and its very messy both at the impact area, under the train and where the train stops.."

That's right they don't show them bits of what happens, huge clean up process as well.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Why cant they just move the body of the train quick? Takes just 2min to move. No need to have delays for hours.one it instantly becomes a crine scene untill other wise indicated by the coroner or his assistants two the body may parts may be spread anything upto quarter of a mile or lodged around the parts of the train 3 the train crew involved are quite rightly taken off duty at the first available opportunity 4 the body may have damaged safety equipment both on the train or on the track 5 there will be a multitude of non trained personel on the track to recover said body parts do you think its a really good idea to run trains through that area ?You are right there as different parts might be scattered everywhere and no wouldn't be a good idea to run any trains the day, but how do they come home, does the company organise a taxi?."
in some cases yes or they arrange for a driver manager to go and pick them up if this is not feasable the driver will take the train forward accompanyed by a competant person ( guard inspector etc ) to a location where the driver can be relieved and taken for drugs and alcohol testing the train will more often than not be taken out of service and the passengers de trained

over a year ago

Was that a couple of years back. If it was by avonmouth it was a driver for comet.

Yes I believe the poor chap jumped. "

Yes was def a Comet driver. He was on his way to deliver to 2 South Wales stores. A friend of mine who was a manager had a customer have a go at him because her washing machine didn't turn up, he explained the situation and her response was I don't care get my washing machine now. He told her to fuck off.

over a year ago

evesham

This."

No. You're right, they didn't. Perhaps that's because at that moment in time they were so deep in a depression that they were unable to see anything past them, their issues and the only solution that makes sense to them.

By *airy_HettyWoman
over a year ago

Greater London

By *airy_HettyWoman
over a year ago

Greater London

A wee bit of compassion and humanity should be shown to the person committing suicide and all those connected to sorting out the aftermath.

What heartless bastards to talk about the person who was so low that they took the suicide route and then treat their body like it was 'roadkill'....

over a year ago

In the heat of the moment, i can understand the announcer. Probably would have been better to have made a proper one shortly after though.

On the matter of depression, endless drugs and suicide, wouldn't a prescription to Dignitas be more effective? Countless numbers wouldn't go through with it and would pull themselves around.

over a year ago

"Why cant they just move the body of the train quick? Takes just 2min to move. No need to have delays for hours.one it instantly becomes a crine scene untill other wise indicated by the coroner or his assistants two the body may parts may be spread anything upto quarter of a mile or lodged around the parts of the train 3 the train crew involved are quite rightly taken off duty at the first available opportunity 4 the body may have damaged safety equipment both on the train or on the track 5 there will be a multitude of non trained personel on the track to recover said body parts do you think its a really good idea to run trains through that area ?You are right there as different parts might be scattered everywhere and no wouldn't be a good idea to run any trains the day, but how do they come home, does the company organise a taxi?.in some cases yes or they arrange for a driver manager to go and pick them up if this is not feasable the driver will take the train forward accompanyed by a competant person ( guard inspector etc ) to a location where the driver can be relieved and taken for drugs and alcohol testing the train will more often than not be taken out of service and the passengers de trained "
YEs that's a good point as they don't wanna destrouy the crime scene, then after they taken the driver out of it, someone else drives the train to the next next station.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Whilst the announcement could have been put a little better(!) at times there are some totally selfish passengers need to have it spelt out in real terms as to why their "vitally important" journey has been interrupted!

over a year ago

However you kill youself others are involved, the person finding the body, friends/family etc.

Personally I have thought many times of a train because it would be virtuously instantaneous and stop the NHS wasting money treating me for liver failure after overdoses and waiting weeks to die

A train would be my method of choice. When you are in that much pain that you can't live anymore it's very difficult to care about those that would be affected as you can't see anything past your unending distress and you just need an end to it

over a year ago

"

In the heat of the moment, i can understand the announcer. Probably would have been better to have made a proper one shortly after though.

On the matter of depression, endless drugs and suicide, wouldn't a prescription to Dignitas be more effective? Countless numbers wouldn't go through with it and would pull themselves around.

"

(m) go onto this topic...Can people leave Exit and Dignitas out of this please...I am British and Swiss and we are sick of people coming to Switzerland to commit suicide.

At the beginning Exit (Dignitas is a spin off of Exit) was started for people with a terminal illness and they had to show they were ill (cancer/Aids and other terrible illnesses). Now it's a "fashion" to pop across to Dignitas pay Sfr 10'000 and then get the two medications.

What effect does that have on the people live around the premises of Dignitas ?

This in a country which has after Finland the highest suicide rates in Europe and worldwide is number 4. Most suicides in Switzerland are guns and then trains. But you would never ever hear such an annoucement ... They respect people who commite suicide as it is the end of a long illness and should be treated as such.

It is hard on families and friends I havebeen to 5 funerals of friends who commite suicide either by using a military side arm, train or drugs and worst of all was the drugs (Golden Shoot)... It is very hard for all and the person doing it needs courage and despair to do it....

over a year ago

"

"

I have been saying this for years to every mental health professional I have encountered and I would gladly take this route if it was an option for me.

Unfortunately because they believe I can be 'cured' despite being unwell my whole life it'll never be an option.

By *amparaWoman
over a year ago

biggleswade

By *amparaWoman
over a year ago

biggleswade

"

over a year ago

Okay, to change the subject a tiny tad, who wants a game of Spot The Ukiper?

...... just thought it might cheer the thread up, that's all!

over a year ago

I was caught up in one of these incidents last year. I think our train was delayed for 2 hours outside Tamworth station.

I for one do pause and think. Well I'm just being a little inconvenienced here. I was comforted by the thought that it's better to be 2 hours late in this life than 30 or 40 years early in the next. What would drive anyone to do such a thing. They must have been very poorly.

We all deal with this in our own way. Train drivers must get very stressed and probably have a huge fear of a jumper doing this to them. He was probably just trying to ease his own inner tension by making light of it, but unfortunately we all see things differently and to some his joke seems stupid and flippant.

There is no right way to deal with suicide. This was just his way at the time.

over a year ago

"I was caught up in one of these incidents last year. I think our train was delayed for 2 hours outside Tamworth station.

I for one do pause and think. Well I'm just being a little inconvenienced here. I was comforted by the thought that it's better to be 2 hours late in this life than 30 or 40 years early in the next. What would drive anyone to do such a thing. They must have been very poorly.

We all deal with this in our own way. Train drivers must get very stressed and probably have a huge fear of a jumper doing this to them. He was probably just trying to ease his own inner tension by making light of it, but unfortunately we all see things differently and to some his joke seems stupid and flippant.

There is no right way to deal with suicide. This was

just his way at the time."

Totally agree!

........& my guess is that you're definitely not a Ukiper.

By *amparaWoman
over a year ago

biggleswade

"

I have been saying this for years to every mental health professional I have encountered and I would gladly take this route if it was an option for me.

Unfortunately because they believe I can be 'cured' despite being unwell my whole life it'll never be an option."

sometimes oblivion seems very sweet when you have a tortured soul and long for peace but peace never comes,i can see it from both points of _iew,i hope that poor person is now at peace but can you imagine the hurt he/she has left behind,ive wrestled with my demons for years and sometimes think they will consume me,i am not depressed i can stile smile at pretty things and laugh at jokes when they are funny,i can still talk to people and enjoy nice days but when i am alone there is something broken and i fall into a sadness that engulfs me and i pray for peace but it never comes knocking

Post new Message to Thread