Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Protein World

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So me and a few of the girls/guys from work were discussing this for a while today as it's been all over our social media etc

There's an ad of a women in a bikini with the slogan "Are you beach body ready"

Protein world is a company i'd never heard of which sells protein shakes/supplements etc which is a type of product which is hugely popular with gym going people of both sexes. It was clearly a product aimed at this target market or those who are already considering steps they can take to improve their health/body. Is this particular market once in which no-one can advertise to because other people's feelings may be jealous or too lazy to take a similar level of pride in their self appearance?

I personally believe all the furore recently is directly related with the push to have chubby women portrayed as "real" women to perpetuate a myth that any given body weight is ok which is ridiculous. All women of any size are real however the fact remains being in healthy body shape is better for that person and for society and a health service bogged down with annual bills running into the billions for the obesity/overweight epidemic gripping this country.

We thought of only 2 possible negatives - 1) There being a scantily dressed women on a public billboard but we could think of a case where we've seen a male equivalent

2) The linking of beach body term to a specific type of body but realistically that link was made a long time ago.

Besides we all aim to get the best level of education, the best jobs, best houses in best neighbourhood possibles, best cars etc etc. Why is aiming to get the best type of body wrong and why are some people who haven't achieved this so seemingly bitter to those that do.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"So me and a few of the girls/guys from work were discussing this for a while today as it's been all over our social media etc

Protein world is a company i'd never heard of which sells protein shakes/supplements etc which is a type of product which is hugely popular with gym going people of both sexes. It was clearly a product aimed at this target market or those who are already considering steps they can take to improve their health/body. Is this particular market once in which no-one can advertise to because other people's feelings may be jealous or too lazy to take a similar level of pride in their self appearance?

I personally believe all the furore recently is directly related with the push to have chubby women portrayed as "real" women to perpetuate a myth that any given body weight is ok which is ridiculous. All women of any size are real however the fact remains being in healthy body shape is better for that person and for society and a health service bogged down with annual bills running into the billions for the obesity/overweight epidemic gripping this country.

We thought of only 2 possible negatives - 1) There being a scantily dressed women on a public billboard but we could think of a case where we've seen a male equivalent

2) The linking of beach body term to a specific type of body but realistically that link was made a long time ago.

Besides we all aim to get the best level of education, the best jobs, best houses in best neighbourhood possibles, best cars etc etc. Why is aiming to get the best type of body wrong and why are some people who haven't achieved this so seemingly bitter to those that do."

"We all aim to get the best ......."

You sure about that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So me and a few of the girls/guys from work were discussing this for a while today as it's been all over our social media etc

Besides we all aim to get the best level of education, the best jobs, best houses in best neighbourhood possibles, best cars etc etc. Why is aiming to get the best type of body wrong and why are some people who haven't achieved this so seemingly bitter to those that do.

"We all aim to get the best ......."

You sure about that?

"

Maybe that should read most of us then lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Massive topic about it already running.

People are pretty much sick of the media and it's bullshit, and now we have the internet we can organise to fuck it off altogether and force it to stop making people feel like crap just to make money off them.

If this ad and product is aimed at already 'fit' people, then why ask if they've got a 'beach body'? Of course they have. This ad was aimed at anyone who hasn't, in the hope of making them feel insecure enough to buy the product.

Well fuck them. We aren't stupid enough to fall for that crap and we're gonna point out how wrong it is every time we see it.

You even said "be jealous or too lazy to take a similar level of pride in their self appearance?" like it's ok to insult fat people and presume they don't care about their appearance? Kind of proved the point that fat shaming happens and people don't wanna hear that crap any more.

Society was becoming liberal and shaming of any kind was being wiped out, this is more of it being wiped out.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Massive topic about it already running.

People are pretty much sick of the media and it's bullshit, and now we have the internet we can organise to fuck it off altogether and force it to stop making people feel like crap just to make money off them.

If this ad and product is aimed at already 'fit' people, then why ask if they've got a 'beach body'? Of course they have. This ad was aimed at anyone who hasn't, in the hope of making them feel insecure enough to buy the product.

Well fuck them. We aren't stupid enough to fall for that crap and we're gonna point out how wrong it is every time we see it.

You even said "be jealous or too lazy to take a similar level of pride in their self appearance?" like it's ok to insult fat people and presume they don't care about their appearance? Kind of proved the point that fat shaming happens and people don't wanna hear that crap any more.

Society was becoming liberal and shaming of any kind was being wiped out, this is more of it being wiped out."

Not all people who work out are fit and even if they are, they need to maintain it so the idea that is a market that don't require advertisement aimed at it is unaccurate. Buying a product is not the way to get a "beach body" and their products are no substitute for hardwork at the gum

The ad was aimed quite clearly at the gym going market and if other people look at it and feel insecure and inadequate by it, then that is a reflection of their own insecurities and they are attempting to impose that on the other people. It's not promoting an unhealthy image at all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The principal purpose of any ad is to get publicity and attention and they seem to succeeded rather well at this.

Re fat people, my own experience is that lately fat, and i mean very fat, people rather bizarrely seem proud of "their appearance". Even on the beach.

Quid pro quo.

If you wish to offend people by being so grossly overweight, often in a highly public place, don't be surprised when we offend people by saying they're fat.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Society was becoming liberal and shaming of any kind was being wiped out, this is more of it being wiped out.

Not all people who work out are fit and even if they are, they need to maintain it so the idea that is a market that don't require advertisement aimed at it is unaccurate. Buying a product is not the way to get a "beach body" and their products are no substitute for hardwork at the gum

The ad was aimed quite clearly at the gym going market and if other people look at it and feel insecure and inadequate by it, then that is a reflection of their own insecurities and they are attempting to impose that on the other people. It's not promoting an unhealthy image at all. "

Dunno? Are their products healthy even? Protein shakes were invented for people who couldn't absorb enough calories through diet alone (such as old people or people with genetic illnesses), why not be healthy with a proper diet instead if you want a healthy body?

Reply privately

over a year ago

The ad was aimed quite clearly at the gym going market and if other people look at it and feel insecure and inadequate by it, then that is a reflection of their own insecurities and they are attempting to impose that on the other people. It's not promoting an unhealthy image at all.

Dunno? Are their products healthy even? Protein shakes were invented for people who couldn't absorb enough calories through diet alone (such as old people or people with genetic illnesses), why not be healthy with a proper diet instead if you want a healthy body?"

Not sure about this particular company however protein shakes have long been a stable for regular gym goers. Its main benefits are nothing to do with calories but the fact that protein is one of the essential nutrients we should consume. It benefits are derived from the fact it carries certain amino acids which are imperative for production and repairing muscle tissue and enzymes.

Simply put without sufficient protein, muscles won't heal as quickly and your more susceptible to muscle injury from exercise.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The principal purpose of any ad is to get publicity and attention and they seem to succeeded rather well at this.

Re fat people, my own experience is that lately fat, and i mean very fat, people rather bizarrely seem proud of "their appearance". Even on the beach.

Quid pro quo.

If you wish to offend people by being so grossly overweight, often in a highly public place, don't be surprised when we offend people by saying they're fat.

"

Don't be silly mate, you can't be offensive to "fat" people, that's rude. it's only in shape people who can be insulted for their appearance since they are setting unattainable standards for the rest and aren't "real" people

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Not sure about this particular company however protein shakes have long been a stable for regular gym goers. Its main benefits are nothing to do with calories but the fact that protein is one of the essential nutrients we should consume. It benefits are derived from the fact it carries certain amino acids which are imperative for production and repairing muscle tissue and enzymes.

Simply put without sufficient protein, muscles won't heal as quickly and your more susceptible to muscle injury from exercise."

Sorry i should have said nutrients and not calories. It's late.

I know what it does, it's a diet supplement that used to be for people who are ill, now gym goers use it.

Nobody, not even gym goers, need this stuff. You can get everything you need from an actual food diet. It's just a convenience product for those who can't be bothered to maintain a healthy diet with actual food.

Reply privately

over a year ago

ffs i am going to bed lol, people do need this stuff if they're old or ill obviously. when i said nobody i meant nobody who can absorb nutrients via a normal diet.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Not sure about this particular company however protein shakes have long been a stable for regular gym goers. Its main benefits are nothing to do with calories but the fact that protein is one of the essential nutrients we should consume. It benefits are derived from the fact it carries certain amino acids which are imperative for production and repairing muscle tissue and enzymes.

Simply put without sufficient protein, muscles won't heal as quickly and your more susceptible to muscle injury from exercise.

I know what it does, it's a diet supplement that used to be for people who are ill, now gym goers use it.

Nobody, not even gym goers, need this stuff. You can get everything you need from an actual food diet. It's just a convenience product for those who can't be bothered to maintain a healthy diet with actual food.

"

regardless of our particular thoughts on the merits of their products, the advert is the point of contention. I don't understand where the controversy is in promoting a healthy body in a non-offensive way. If other people take offence, that is a reflection on them no?

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

regardless of our particular thoughts on the merits of their products, the advert is the point of contention. I don't understand where the controversy is in promoting a healthy body in a non-offensive way. If other people take offence, that is a reflection on them no?"

It's not promoting a *healthy* body. It's promoting an idea of what is an attractive and acceptable body.

It's quite possible to be fit and healthy without having a "bikini body". Women don't have to look like fitness models or catwalk models to be attractive, fit or healthy and we're getting very tired of being told that we do.

Did the ad show a fit, healthy, average woman? Something we could all aspire to, realistically? Or did it show a professional model, with a body that few of us could actually achieve in a healthy way?

We're bombarded with crap about being *healthy* when really what we're being pressured to do, is to feel unacceptable and unattractive unless we look a particular way, (that isn't realistically achievable for most of us).

And, oh goodness, it just so happens that buying our stuff will help you achieve that!

The short answer is that there is nothing wrong with promoting health. This is promoting a look, not health. And a lot of other advertising focusing on "health" is doing the same.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"If other people take offence, that is a reflection on them no?"

Oh if only the forum rules didn't prevent me from pointing out the irony of that one!

Reply privately

over a year ago

regardless of our particular thoughts on the merits of their products, the advert is the point of contention. I don't understand where the controversy is in promoting a healthy body in a non-offensive way. If other people take offence, that is a reflection on them no?

It's not promoting a *healthy* body. It's promoting an idea of what is an attractive and acceptable body.

It's quite possible to be fit and healthy without having a "bikini body". Women don't have to look like fitness models or catwalk models to be attractive, fit or healthy and we're getting very tired of being told that we do.

Did the ad show a fit, healthy, average woman? Something we could all aspire to, realistically? Or did it show a professional model, with a body that few of us could actually achieve in a healthy way?

We're bombarded with crap about being *healthy* when really what we're being pressured to do, is to feel unacceptable and unattractive unless we look a particular way, (that isn't realistically achievable for most of us).

And, oh goodness, it just so happens that buying our stuff will help you achieve that!

The short answer is that there is nothing wrong with promoting health. This is promoting a look, not health. And a lot of other advertising focusing on "health" is doing the same."

I disagree with literally 100% of what you said. I seen that picture numerous times and it shows a very attainable body for those that don't binge eat and do a small amount of physical exercise a day - maybe 1 hour or so. That body is no more unattainable for the average women than a 6 pack is for the average guy.

Also finally your last point is contradictory. If you promote health and healthy eating and exercise, then the end point is the type of body which you seem so fervently against showing in public as if it is something to be ashamed of.

Reply privately

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

The short answer is that there is nothing wrong with promoting health. This is promoting a look, not health. And a lot of other advertising focusing on "health" is doing the same.

I disagree with literally 100% of what you said. I seen that picture numerous times and it shows a very attainable body for those that don't binge eat and do a small amount of physical exercise a day - maybe 1 hour or so. That body is no more unattainable for the average women than a 6 pack is for the average guy.

Also finally your last point is contradictory. If you promote health and healthy eating and exercise, then the end point is the type of body which you seem so fervently against showing in public as if it is something to be ashamed of."

Damn. They got the undercards fighting already?! I thought Mayweather/Pacquiao was Saturday!

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Also finally your last point is contradictory. If you promote health and healthy eating and exercise, then the end point is the type of body which you seem so fervently against showing in public as if it is something to be ashamed of."

There's nothing contradictory in pointing out that "health" is not synonymous with looking a particular way.

Most normal, healthy people have lumps and bumps, scars, heavy thighs, or broad hips... things that make being a bikini model unattainable for them. Did the model featured have any of those? Was she actually beach ready or was she professionally lit, made up, styled and airbrushed within an inch of her life?

Women are fed up with being pressured to look a particular (unattainable) way under the guise of it being "healthy".

There's nothing healthy about being pressured to achieve a shape or a look that you are never, realistically, going to obtain.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Whats the difference between these two scenarios :

A) A single guy mentions he can't get a meet. Loads pile in, incl guys, and reply "do something about it, improve your narrative, put some photos up."

and

B) A woman mentions the advert is offensive because she hasn't got, can't get the look of the body in the advert. Others reply, "do something about it, eat PROPERLY and EXCERCISE naturally."

Reply privately

over a year ago

Also finally your last point is contradictory. If you promote health and healthy eating and exercise, then the end point is the type of body which you seem so fervently against showing in public as if it is something to be ashamed of.

Damn. They got the undercards fighting already?! I thought Mayweather/Pacquiao was Saturday! "

I know who i'm putting my money on to go 15 rounds tonite.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

PMSL!

I hadn't seen the ad so I went to look at just how realistically obtainable the body featured is!

Ok ladies, now remember, to get this body all you need to do is not binge eat and do a small amount of exercise every day.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/protein-world-advert-formal-investigation-launched-into-beach-body-ready-campaign-10213584.html

Remember, you heard it here first.

OP, you haven't got a fucking clue what you are talking about, which makes it absolutely pointless discussing this with you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Damn. They got the undercards fighting already?! I thought Mayweather/Pacquiao was Saturday!

I know who i'm putting my money on to go 15 rounds tonite. "

I'm a 4/6 favourite at this precise moment - watch this

Reply privately

over a year ago

"PMSL!

I hadn't seen the ad so I went to look at just how realistically obtainable the body featured is!

Ok ladies, now remember, to get this body all you need to do is not binge eat and do a small amount of exercise every day.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/protein-world-advert-formal-investigation-launched-into-beach-body-ready-campaign-10213584.html

OP, you haven't got a fucking clue what you are talking about, which makes it absolutely pointless discussing this with you."

Many thanks.

Wow, the young woman has a lovely body. Not sure that a yellow bikini on a yellow background works too well, or indeed that the young woman got her body through consumption of the product either but what the hell.

If they ban the advert then may i suggest the Paul Hogan method :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkA1GVXE-xA

My,my,my Delilah.

Keen viewers will note that "Delilah" has a wonderful smile throughout.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Also, as an afterthought, if I was actually being encouraged to be healthy, that's fair enough.

However, being bombarded with messages telling me I have to aspire to achieve a look that is never going to be achievable for me, and that it should be easy and if I can't do it I am greedy, lazy and weak-willed, and if I can't do it I am unattractive and unacceptable, that just makes me dig my heels in and say fuck you to everyone trying to pressure me.

I'm buggered if I'm going to be basically bullied into conforming to what someone else thinks I should be, particularly when that person is hiding their true agenda behind false concern for my health.

Don't like how I look? Too fucking bad. You won't force me to run round in circles, trying to fit your unrealistic ideals, by insulting me and trying to shame me into it.

If anything speaks volumes about a person, it's insulting people and trying to make them feel bad about themselves in order to force them to change to fit what you think they should be.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"PMSL!

OP, you haven't got a fucking clue what you are talking about, which makes it absolutely pointless discussing this with you.

Many thanks.

Wow, the young woman has a lovely body. Not sure that a yellow bikini on a yellow background works too well, or indeed that the young woman got her body through consumption of the product either but what the hell.

If they ban the advert then may i suggest the Paul Hogan method :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkA1GVXE-xA

My,my,my Delilah.

Keen viewers will note that "Delilah" has a wonderful smile throughout.

"

Be careful not to binge eat and do a small amount of exercise every day or you may end up with a body like hers too. That's all it takes, apparently.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"PMSL!

OP, you haven't got a fucking clue what you are talking about, which makes it absolutely pointless discussing this with you."

Point A) You haven't seen the ad so you went off on a tangent with your prepared diatribe filled with bias with your opinions presented as facts. This immediately devalues your argument

Point B) Having lumps and bumps is actual evidence of why you need exercise. If you can't understand this, I worry for about your ability to comprehend things. A healthy female body which is within its recommended weight size, which consumes recommended calorie intakes is very reasonable and attainable objective for those that want it.

Point C) The point of the advert isn't for the viewer to think they have to look like a clone of the person promoting the product. That is your interpretation of it and the connotations you came to from viewing it (although you've already admitted you hadn't even viewed it before your ludicrious remarks)

Point D) Yours or others blatant insecurities about your feelings of inadequacies towards your body shouldn't be a a reason to stop this advert. Should all universities be stopped from advertising because those that don't have the grades to attend university might feel hurt because it promotes an unattainable level of intellect and education.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"PMSL!

Point A) You haven't seen the ad so you went off on a tangent with your prepared diatribe filled with bias with your opinions presented as facts. This immediately devalues your argument

Point B) Having lumps and bumps is actual evidence of why you need exercise. If you can't understand this, I worry for about your ability to comprehend things. A healthy female body which is within its recommended weight size, which consumes recommended calorie intakes is very reasonable and attainable objective for those that want it.

Point C) The point of the advert isn't for the viewer to think they have to look like a clone of the person promoting the product. That is your interpretation of it and the connotations you came to from viewing it (although you've already admitted you hadn't even viewed it before your ludicrious remarks)

Point D) Yours or others blatant insecurities about your feelings of inadequacies towards your body shouldn't be a a reason to stop this advert. Should all universities be stopped from advertising because those that don't have the grades to attend university might feel hurt because it promotes an unattainable level of intellect and education. "

Normal, healthy people have lumps and bumps. Models are very much the exception and they do not maintain their bodies by merely not binge eating and doing a small amount of exercise each day. The vast majority of women could not look like that model whatever they did.

Expecting all women to aspire to having no lumps and bumps, and stating that to do so means they should diet and exercise more, is bloody stupid and is nothing to do with health.

Should all men diet and exercise until they look like swimwear models? I don't see you accusing the ones who don't of being unhealthy.

You have an unhealthy obsession with how women should look. That, and your totally unrealistic expectations are alarming and represent absolutely everything that is wrong with that advert.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

And funnily enough, I didn't need to see the advert. From your OP and my knowledge of the media and attitudes to women, I knew it would focus a young swimwear model.

When you claimed it was achievable for most women, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and looked. I wasn't surprised to find you're deluded about what's realistic, achievable and healthy for most women.

Being in a healthy weight range does not mean having no lumps and bumps and looking like a swimwear model.

Reply privately

over a year ago

to be honest, i'd rather talk to those who'd seen it and have relevant feedback and opinions rather than listen to your preconceived notions, your confidence issues and your personal digs on me. so on that note i won't be responding to you -- the latter madam who's been responding with her nonsense

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"to be honest, i'd rather talk to those who'd seen it and have relevant feedback and opinions rather than listen to your preconceived notions, your confidence issues and your personal digs on me. so on that note i won't be responding to you -- the latter madam who's been responding with her nonsense"

Er, you missed the bit where I not only looked at it but actually posted a link showing it?

The nonsense here, which will be clear to anyone with half a clue, is that looking like a swimwear model is a realistic, obtainable goal for most women simply by not binge eating and doing a small amount of exercise each day!

You blew any hope of credibility right out of the water with that claim.

Not understanding that there is a difference between promoting a healthy lifestyle and weight is very different to trying to shame people into buying products in order to look a way they will never be able to look also does not help your little campaign.

I'd suggest you focus on your own body and health and leave those with a clue about what is realistic for other people to concern themselves with everyone else.

In the meantime, I shall remain delighted that my face and body offend you. Should I make any changes at any point, I would consider potentially becoming less physically unacceptable to someone like you a serious negative in the overall cost-benefit analysis.

I'd rather have a fat body than a fat head.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"to be honest, i'd rather talk to those who'd seen it and have relevant feedback and opinions rather than listen to your preconceived notions, your confidence issues and your personal digs on me. so on that note i won't be responding to you -- the latter madam who's been responding with her nonsense

Er, you missed the bit where I not only looked at it but actually posted a link showing it?

The nonsense here, which will be clear to anyone with half a clue, is that looking like a swimwear model is a realistic, obtainable goal for most women simply by not binge eating and doing a small amount of exercise each day!

You blew any hope of credibility right out of the water with that claim.

Not understanding that there is a difference between promoting a healthy lifestyle and weight is very different to trying to shame people into buying products in order to look a way they will never be able to look also does not help your little campaign.

I'd suggest you focus on your own body and health and leave those with a clue about what is realistic for other people to concern themselves with everyone else.

In the meantime, I shall remain delighted that my face and body offend you. Should I make any changes at any point, I would consider potentially becoming less physically unacceptable to someone like you a serious negative in the overall cost-benefit analysis.

I'd rather have a fat body than a fat head.

"

that is rude and insulting about fat head loool. he didn't mention anything about your body, considering your name is volumptious something and your little face in that box, there's loads he could have said

Reply privately

over a year ago

"PMSL!

Point D) Yours or others blatant insecurities about your feelings of inadequacies towards your body shouldn't be a a reason to stop this advert. Should all universities be stopped from advertising because those that don't have the grades to attend university might feel hurt because it promotes an unattainable level of intellect and education. "

THE post of the year 2015.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"PMSL!

Point D) Yours or others blatant insecurities about your feelings of inadequacies towards your body shouldn't be a a reason to stop this advert. Should all universities be stopped from advertising because those that don't have the grades to attend university might feel hurt because it promotes an unattainable level of intellect and education.

THE post of the year 2015. "

Sometimes I just have to be honest mate. Call me Tonyveli when i do

Reply privately

over a year ago

If i'm looking at the correct advert per the link supplied, then :

a) the young woman definately has "bumps"

and

b) asks only a simple question. "Are you beach body ready?" Nothing else.

If your personal answer is NO, why take it out on anyone/everyone else?

I'm seen far fatter than this model on many a beach.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Another key issue here :

Does anyone condone the criminal damage caused to the posters, for whatever reason?

If so, where do you draw the line?

My car has fatter tyres than yours so i'm gonna scrath your paintwork. Really?

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 30/04/15 03:10:17]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Another key issue here :

Does anyone condone the criminal damage caused to the posters, for whatever reason?

If so, where do you draw the line?

My car has fatter tyres than yours so i'm gonna scrath your paintwork. Really? "

I don't mate, a crime is a crime. But no doubt somone or something is likely to turn up to justify it

Reply privately

over a year ago

I saw the advert on the tube today and thought,I haven't had a body like that since I was 13. I had big boobs as a teenager My question is,is the beach ready for my body

Reply privately

over a year ago

As regular runner and gym user it astounds me the amount of folk using protein shakes etc you can get enough protein etc on a balanced normal diet its a masaive business its that simple.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I saw the advert on the tube today and thought,I haven't had a body like that since I was 13. I had big boobs as a teenager My question is,is the beach ready for my body "

good question.. are you ready to see all those jaw's drop?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As regular runner and gym user it astounds me the amount of folk using protein shakes etc you can get enough protein etc on a balanced normal diet its a masaive business its that simple."

true mate, protein is literally in so many different types of food. but protein shakes do offer convinience and i do know as a fact that protein is most effective right after a workout

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As regular runner and gym user it astounds me the amount of folk using protein shakes etc you can get enough protein etc on a balanced normal diet its a masaive business its that simple.

true mate, protein is literally in so many different types of food. but protein shakes do offer convinience and i do know as a fact that protein is most effective right after a workout"

Have protein meals etc ready to go at home ie normal food save money. Fluids key after workout it will sustain you till you get home.

Reply privately

over a year ago

People mentioning about balanced diets should sometimes be aware that not all people have the time and lead very busy lives so a protein shake here and there is hardly the end of the world.

I have just read it took £100k plus and a multi agency operation to get an obese lady out of her flat and to hospital with the story sensationalised across the whole news. Now that's body shaming someone!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"...

The ad was aimed quite clearly at the gym going market and if other people look at it and feel insecure and inadequate by it, then that is a reflection of their own insecurities and they are attempting to impose that on the other people. It's not promoting an unhealthy image at all. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"...

. Should all universities be stopped from advertising because those that don't have the grades to attend university might feel hurt because it promotes an unattainable level of intellect and education. "

Indeed....

Reply privately

over a year ago

A little context. People have pointed out Social Media has allowed people to rightfully have a say in this issue but this is only a tiny tiny cross section of society and these people most certainly don't speak for me.

If like my office after listening to the piece on Radio 2 yesterday most are either indifferent or amused by it all.

I am not body shamed by this advert because I'm not ashamed of my body and I make that statement as an empowered person well aware of my flaws.

Either way the products are flying off the shelves.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I would bet thousands that the model in the advert has never touched the companies product nor ever will.

As they were happy to quote previous 'customers' anecdotes why didn't they simply show a before and after shot of someone like the slimming ads, hair transplant ads and spot cream ads that are usually all over the tube too?

Wod have been both more realistic and more representative of what their 'product' can help achieve.

But I doubt any of their customers would look like the model.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We thought of only 2 possible negatives - 1) There being a scantily dressed women on a public billboard but we could think of a case where we've seen a male equivalent."

Tell me again about how men have been oppressed for years including for how they look and present themselves?

Reply privately

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"As regular runner and gym user it astounds me the amount of folk using protein shakes etc you can get enough protein etc on a balanced normal diet its a masaive business its that simple.

true mate, protein is literally in so many different types of food. but protein shakes do offer convinience and i do know as a fact that protein is most effective right after a workout

Have protein meals etc ready to go at home ie normal food save money. Fluids key after workout it will sustain you till you get home."

If you go home after. A lot of people I know work out first thing, shower at the gym then go straight to work. Plus if your supposed to be eating 2g of protein for every lb of body weight and you leave it too long between sittings You'd need to eat 2 chickens for dinner to get the right amount in

I'm off to the gym in ten minutes. I'll have a shake after because I've got things to do and won't get home to cook prooetky till later.

Reply privately

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

Have protein meals etc ready to go at home ie normal food save money. Fluids key after workout it will sustain you till you get home.

If you go home after. A lot of people I know work out first thing, shower at the gym then go straight to work. Plus if your supposed to be eating 2g of protein for every lb of body weight and you leave it too long between sittings You'd need to eat 2 chickens for dinner to get the right amount in

I'm off to the gym in ten minutes. I'll have a shake after because I've got things to do and won't get home to cook prooetky till later. "

*cook properly..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We thought of only 2 possible negatives - 1) There being a scantily dressed women on a public billboard but we could think of a case where we've seen a male equivalent.

Tell me again about how men have been oppressed for years including for how they look and present themselves?"

The muscular and lean ideal has been around since ancient times. Along with conformity and ability to provide.

The modern trend and pressures on men have been around since the matinee idols at the turn of the century. Then you only have to look at the pressures on Men's presentation in Victoria times.

It's not mutually exclusive and frankly offensive to think that Men have not suffered pressure.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The more this is discussed the dafter it seems.

So many 'victims' of so very little.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I said a lot already on the other thread. A few things though:

This is not aimed at 'fit' people or 'getting healthy' because it is purely a looks-based thing. Otherwise it would be "is your body ready to run a marathon" or "is your body ready for the triathlon". And it's their weight-loss collection they are advertising.

Lots of people seem to think fat people should just get over it, and it's a minor thing, and we should stop being jealous or whatever.

A paper cut is a minor thing, but if someone gave you a paper cut every minute of every day you'd soon start to hurt because of it. And that's the point - this is one of a million tiny messages, like your opening post, that people above a certain size are lazy, greedy, inferior, a drain on the NHS, promoting unhealthy lifestyles (and that's just this week on the forums) that we get every fucking day and even the most confident people are starting to go hang on a minute, fuck off.

Reply privately

By *eithoWoman
over a year ago

Chatham

"

If i'm looking at the correct advert per the link supplied, then :

a) the young woman definately has "bumps"

and

b) asks only a simple question. "Are you beach body ready?" Nothing else.

If your personal answer is NO, why take it out on anyone/everyone else?

I'm seen far fatter than this model on many a beach. "

My personal answer is an emphatic YES, but clearly Protein World believe my answer should be NO. Therein lies the problem. They want people to believe that the body type depicted is the only one acceptable for the beach.

I also take issues with the association with meal supplements and health. No health professional would advise the use of their crap. Most western diets contain too much protein already. Eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise, simple.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The more this is discussed the dafter it seems.

So many 'victims' of so very little."

What if it wasn't a fat issue, what if it was a poster for skin lightening creams? If people are being told they should aspire to lighter skin to reach some pinnacle of perfection, and that with their darker skin they are inferior...that would be bad, right?

Reply privately

over a year ago

What if it wasn't a fat issue, what if it was a poster for skin lightening creams? If people are being told they should aspire to lighter skin to reach some pinnacle of perfection, and that with their darker skin they are inferior...that would be bad, right? "

it would be bad as they was born that way ....... See people think over weight is something you can change as people can be changed if wish too be ..

Reply privately

over a year ago

What if it wasn't a fat issue, what if it was a poster for skin lightening creams? If people are being told they should aspire to lighter skin to reach some pinnacle of perfection, and that with their darker skin they are inferior...that would be bad, right? "

Is this already insinuated because the model has a tan?

Wow fat pasty people can be really pissed now.

What colour is her hair?..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We thought of only 2 possible negatives - 1) There being a scantily dressed women on a public billboard but we could think of a case where we've seen a male equivalent.

Tell me again about how men have been oppressed for years including for how they look and present themselves?"

As a 'fully qualified personal trainer' , have you not made a living from said oppression and body shaming ?!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can almost hear the frantic googling from here.

I love this forum. If reinforces we are all different.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Personally I think the advert is great, in fact I may be going back to have another look at it after I've finished this post ...

Surely people need to remember this is an advert for a company that sells supplements. If your trying to sell a product that you say will make you slimmer, more toned and generally healthier then you aren't going to use an average woman to promote your brand. After all people will see the average woman, think to themselves that they already look like that and then wonder why they need to buy supplements.

IT'S AN ADVERT FOR FITNESS SUPPLEMENTS!

If you women feel hard done by then look at the adverts they have for male focused supplements.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes this stuff just bounces off confident and secure people who are happy with themselves. Many millions of us are not, and this kind of shit is just another little dig that we shouldn't be out in public, let alone on a beach or in a bikini, because our body is not 'ready'.

A bit like when I was in the gym yesterday and asked two girls if they'd finished with a piece of equipment (because they'd been sitting on it, on their phones for half an hour - but that's ok because they're skinny, right) and they both walked away commenting on how they "let anyone in here, it's supposed to be a gym" )

That was the highlight of my day being told I'm inferior because of my size, but there were about a hundred others.

No one would have an issue with this ad if it wasn't blatantly designed to prey on those very insecurities, rather than actually promoting fitness or health.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally I think the advert is great, in fact I may be going back to have another look at it after I've finished this post ...

Surely people need to remember this is an advert for a company that sells supplements. If your trying to sell a product that you say will make you slimmer, more toned and generally healthier then you aren't going to use an average woman to promote your brand. After all people will see the average woman, think to themselves that they already look like that and then wonder why they need to buy supplements.

If you women feel hard done by then look at the adverts they have for male focused supplements."

It's an advert for a "weight loss collection"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tell me again about how men have been oppressed for years including for how they look and present themselves?

As a 'fully qualified personal trainer' , have you not made a living from said oppression and body shaming ?!"

Personal trainers help people to get fit for many reasons including improving their health...

Reply privately

over a year ago

That aside, s a gym user you've got to be aware , anyone who has a use for protein , has synced their cycles so thier diet phase coincides with are two months of summer, I'd go as far to assume , like me they've all been dropping 500 calls a week for the last 4/6. This add is no different to the adverts in a health mag since the seventies. And you must have seen them before. .. Joe wielder protien? Big fella in the add, double front bicep pose on the bottle?

The problem with this add is that it's on the tube , note in a specialised magazine

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally I think the advert is great, in fact I may be going back to have another look at it after I've finished this post ...

If you women feel hard done by then look at the adverts they have for male focused supplements.

It's an advert for a "weight loss collection""

Protein World has a range of supplements to help you achieve your fitness, nutritional and well-being goals.

Think I was quite justified in calling them fitness supplements.

Not that I'm overly sensitive about perceived criticism

Reply privately

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire and London

Well the advert obviously worked! Better than Protein World would have expected.

They have had massive media coverage on this, all for free, people posting on all social media, news website etc...the coverage for this advert is way beyond what the initial advert would have expected.

The Irony being this that those who either defaced it or posted comments about the negativity of the advert have in-fact helped get there message to far more people.

They aren't interested in what you think, you're not the people they are targeting their product at, but you sure have helped them get their message across to the people who would buy it!

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's an advert for a "weight loss collection"

Protein World has a range of supplements to help you achieve your fitness, nutritional and well-being goals.

Think I was quite justified in calling them fitness supplements.

Not that I'm overly sensitive about perceived criticism "

But this specific advert that the complaint has been raised about is called "the weightless collection". Not "the get stronger, fitter, healthier" collection.

Of course I'm sensitive about perceived criticism, I get it every day of my life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A) A single guy mentions he can't get a meet. Loads pile in, incl guys, and reply "do something about it, improve your narrative, put some photos up."

and

B) A woman mentions the advert is offensive because she hasn't got, can't get the look of the body in the advert. Others reply, "do something about it, eat PROPERLY and EXCERCISE naturally."

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Damn,

I thought this was going to be about the benefits of a good dollop of spunk all over your boobs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What if it wasn't a fat issue, what if it was a poster for skin lightening creams? If people are being told they should aspire to lighter skin to reach some pinnacle of perfection, and that with their darker skin they are inferior...that would be bad, right?

Is this already insinuated because the model has a tan?

Wow fat pasty people can be really pissed now.

What colour is her hair?..

"

Do NOT start on hair!!!!!!!!!

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Um, can I just say I don't like her body anyway - very narrow chested, fake looking boobs and over wide hips; nah!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Um, can I just say I don't like her body anyway - very narrow chested, fake looking boobs and over wide hips; nah!

"

Body shaming!!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

and

"

That's not why I think the advert is offensive. No one says to those single guys - you're ugly, go to the gym, you should get off the site, you don't deserve to be seen on this site, your face isn't photo-ready.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

and

That's not why I think the advert is offensive. No one says to those single guys - you're ugly, go to the gym, you should get off the site, you don't deserve to be seen on this site, your face isn't photo-ready. "

What is offensive about it? It seems to be a case that a lot of people are saying it just is, or that the sight of an athletic female body being used to advertise a product upsets them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

and

That's not why I think the advert is offensive. No one says to those single guys - you're ugly, go to the gym, you should get off the site, you don't deserve to be seen on this site, your face isn't photo-ready.

What is offensive about it? It seems to be a case that a lot of people are saying it just is, or that the sight of an athletic female body being used to advertise a product upsets them."

As has been said, ad nauseum (I'm even starting to bore myself) it's not the image, it's the implication that other bodies shouldn't be seen in a bikini unless they look like that.

If it was an advert about a supplement to help endurance, with the same model, talking about a supplement to help you run a marathon, no one would give a shit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyway I can only speak for myself, I don't claim to speak for anyone else. I can only say why I think it can be construed as offensive and obviously that's because it hit a nerve with me. But I still think it's lazy advertising and patronising, body shaming bullshit that preys on and fuels people's insecurities. A lot of others disagree. Many others agree with me, and I don't think they should be slagged off for saying so on social media.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But to pick up on your earlier point does it therefore also imply you are not beach ready if you are:

- Male

- Black

- Have curly hair

- own a red swimsuit?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"But to pick up on your earlier point does it therefore also imply you are not beach ready if you are:

- Male

- Black

- Have curly hair

- own a red swimsuit?"

If I've offended a black bloke with curly hair who wears a red swimsuit I apologise already..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"But to pick up on your earlier point does it therefore also imply you are not beach ready if you are:

- Male

- Black

- Have curly hair

- own a red swimsuit?"

If it was an advert for a sex change, skin lightening, hair straightening, swimsuit colour changing supplement, yes.

But it's not, it's for a product specifically called "the weight loss collection".

Reply privately

over a year ago

- Male

- Black

- Have curly hair

- own a red swimsuit?

If I've offended a black bloke with curly hair who wears a red swimsuit I apologise already.."

I know you don't get it, all I'm trying to say is that actually if people are saying something makes them feel like shit and hate their bodies more than they already do, they have every right to express that on social media the way they have.

Advertising and the images we see around us do influence people's view of themselves....I'm sure many wish they didn't (I do) but they do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The gym goers that want to bulk need it because they physically can't eat any more food than they're already eating so they get the extra protein and calories from the shakes, I know guys that need to be consuming over 8 thousand calories a day which would be hard to achieve through food (clean bulk not a dirty bulk) the protein shakes help get the extra calories in.

I use protein shakes in the opposite way by using them as meal substitutes, almost the same as the slim fast plan but instead of using that shit which is 36 grams of sugar per shake I use casein whey which is 123 calories per serving, 28grams of protein and 0.7 grams of sugar per serving and add a tea spoon of MCT oil.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Advertising and the images we see around us do influence people's view of themselves....I'm sure many wish they didn't (I do) but they do.

"

I agree absolutely. But I think the issue has to be focussed on how you yourself respond to them.

My kids are very cynical of ads (sometimes too much!) because I think it's a concern that we're swamped with adverts and we need to recognise reality from bullshit and fantasy.

Stripping away the fantasy because you don't like your own reality isn't a good solution.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Advertising and the images we see around us do influence people's view of themselves....I'm sure many wish they didn't (I do) but they do.

I agree absolutely. But I think the issue has to be focussed on how you yourself respond to them.

My kids are very cynical of ads (sometimes too much!) because I think it's a concern that we're swamped with adverts and we need to recognise reality from bullshit and fantasy.

Stripping away the fantasy because you don't like your own reality isn't a good solution."

But the perpetual bombardment with fantasy images has played a role in getting to that reality in the first place then it's legitimate to say I disagree with it and to say so. That doesn't mean I'm playing the victim it's saying what has happened.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

- Male

- Black

- Have curly hair

- own a red swimsuit?

If it was an advert for a sex change, skin lightening, hair straightening, swimsuit colour changing supplement, yes.

But it's not, it's for a product specifically called "the weight loss collection". "

Advertise by someone who - as I pointed out on this and the other thread has probably never used the product in their life. Therefore could be argued as false advertising.

I couldn't give a shit about ads containing real people who are endorsing a product they use, particularly if said product is designed to adjust their body/image.

But using an individual with no connection to the product is both pointless and misleading.

But then I doubt the ads would have the same effect if a real person was used as there'd simply be a backlash from customers when the unrealistic expectations weren't achjeved through simply chugging a few shakes.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 30/04/15 09:55:41]

Reply privately

over a year ago

The issue with this Ad is NOT specifically the image.

The image only became a problem when you put the words "Beach Ready" next to it.

Had they not done that. Nobody would have batted an Eye lid.

By doing what they did, they changed the entire implication.

And that was stupid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

.. side note.

This Ad made £1M in 4 days.

Their total Ad spend was £250k.

I'm thinking the hype and media attention helped.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".. side note.

"

Faux fury and armchair outrage sells.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".. side note.

Faux fury and armchair outrage sells. "

The first thing they must be doing after venting their fury online is visiting the site and bulk buying lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

".. side note.

Faux fury and armchair outrage sells. "

No.

All it means is there are a lot of really thick and stupid people out there that will buy crap.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone who has bought it to prove those pesky feminist and anti-body shaming bloggers wrong is every bit as stupid as anyone who has bought it because they think it's going to make them look anything like the model.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".. side note.

"

and there will be loads more fitties on the beach this summer - win:win

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

".. side note.

and there will be loads more fitties on the beach this summer - win:win "

No there won't.

If a few protein shakes was the cure for obesity, there would be far less obesity in this country.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry forgot to add the [obviousjoke] tags

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Stripping away the fantasy because you don't like your own reality isn't a good solution.

But the perpetual bombardment with fantasy images has played a role in getting to that reality in the first place then it's legitimate to say I disagree with it and to say so. That doesn't mean I'm playing the victim it's saying what has happened."

It's beyond stupid to beat people with their physical "imperfections" perpetually and then blame those people for having insecurities.

As for, "if you don't like it, change", that's basic playground bullying. We're going to pick on you until you fit in with what we want you to be. If you don't like it, here's a lettuce and the gym is that way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've never been into the social competition and "the best" that society or rather advertising force's down your throat is largely things you don't need or they would not need advertising.

I have however trained most my life for sports and my job which as a result has (no rippling six pack)positive side effects.

You can't keep the perfect body for long periods no more than an athlete can stay in top condition so it's very self defeating in my view.

The best things in life are free we just take the free stuff for granted.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".. side note.

Faux fury and armchair outrage sells.

No.

All it means is there are a lot of really thick and stupid people out there that will buy crap. "

Which proves the original point if there had been no outrage stupid people would not have heard of the product and thus purchased it. In this case even with the firms haning of the situation there was no such thing as bad publicity.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Yes this stuff just bounces off confident and secure people who are happy with themselves. Many millions of us are not, and this kind of shit is just another little dig that we shouldn't be out in public, let alone on a beach or in a bikini, because our body is not 'ready'.

A bit like when I was in the gym yesterday and asked two girls if they'd finished with a piece of equipment (because they'd been sitting on it, on their phones for half an hour - but that's ok because they're skinny, right) and they both walked away commenting on how they "let anyone in here, it's supposed to be a gym" )

That was the highlight of my day being told I'm inferior because of my size, but there were about a hundred others.

No one would have an issue with this ad if it wasn't blatantly designed to prey on those very insecurities, rather than actually promoting fitness or health. "

They actually said that???!!! Did you not sound them out about that. I don't think I could have bitten my tongue hard enough.

Pity your gym doesn't have a boxing ring as well. Then offer to show them how to use that bit of equipment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have slim fast drinks it's same thing not every day just now and again when I need a pick me up as a lot of victims in them you don't get from a lot of foods .

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's beyond stupid to beat people with their physical "imperfections" perpetually and then blame those people for having insecurities.

As for, "if you don't like it, change", that's basic playground bullying. We're going to pick on you until you fit in with what we want you to be. If you don't like it, here's a lettuce and the gym is that way."

The massive increase in obesity suggests people are happy enough to ignore this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Yes this stuff just bounces off confident and secure people who are happy with themselves. Many millions of us are not, and this kind of shit is just another little dig that we shouldn't be out in public, let alone on a beach or in a bikini, because our body is not 'ready'.

No one would have an issue with this ad if it wasn't blatantly designed to prey on those very insecurities, rather than actually promoting fitness or health.

They actually said that???!!! Did you not sound them out about that. I don't think I could have bitten my tongue hard enough.

Pity your gym doesn't have a boxing ring as well. Then offer to show them how to use that bit of equipment."

Yes they actually said that. Not to my face, unfortunately or I would have felt justified in reporting them to a member of staff. As it was I sat on the machine and lifted twice what they had been since I'm quite strong for a fat bird.

Not the first time I've heard that kind of thing either, I've heard "oh I can't wait till January has finished and the fat people all fuck off" too.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

You can't keep the perfect body for long periods no more than an athlete can stay in top condition so it's very self defeating in my view."

Most women couldn't achieve this media idea of "the perfect body". It's simply not a realistic goal. Very few women have the genetics, build and structure for it to even be possible.

In fact, given that I'd bet a huge amount that the model in the ad was heavily airbrushed, even the models don't meet the standards of perfection being rammed down our throats.

And comments higher up stating most women could attain the body on the poster and that all it should take is "not binge eating and doing a small amount of exercise every day", shows the degree to which some people simply don't understand what it is reasonable to expect of women. These are the people most criticising women for failing to meet an impossible target.

And then when some women get fed up with being expected to meet unobtainable goals, we're slated for our insecurities and told we're only complaining because we're too greedy and lazy to make the effort and we're jealous.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's beyond stupid to beat people with their physical "imperfections" perpetually and then blame those people for having insecurities.

As for, "if you don't like it, change", that's basic playground bullying. We're going to pick on you until you fit in with what we want you to be. If you don't like it, here's a lettuce and the gym is that way.

The massive increase in obesity suggests people are happy enough to ignore this."

Or maybe that it's helping damaging their self esteem and self image, which doesn't make for good life choices?

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

The massive increase in obesity suggests people are happy enough to ignore this."

I suspect you don't understand why obesity is on the increase and why people are "ignoring" the insults and pressure to change.

But why should people be pressured by nastiness to change? When is nastiness and bullying with the excuse of "if you don't like being bullied, change", ever acceptable?

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

The massive increase in obesity suggests people are happy enough to ignore this.

Or maybe that it's helping damaging their self esteem and self image, which doesn't make for good life choices? "

Well that's their own fault for being over-sensitive, apparently.

If us fat fucks would just knuckle down and meet the expectations of others, regardless of what that takes, there would be no problem. It's our fault.

We'd be so much happier for it. They're doing us a favour by encouraging us to change.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We live in a world of bullying and excuses in equal measure. Makes for a vicious circle it seems.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or maybe that it's helping damaging their self esteem and self image, which doesn't make for good life choices? "

A little like your earlier point I agree there's a need to help kids grow up to deal with the real world and all it's pressures.

But I don't think you achieve that by locking them away from stuff like this.

Do you also stop images of really expensive cars to stop people driving old bangers from feeling inferior? etc. etc.

If I'm allowing somebody to make me feel like shit I might tell them to fuck off - but I also need to have a think about why I felt that way because that's the one thing I can control.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I suspect you don't understand why obesity is on the increase and why people are "ignoring" the insults and pressure to change. "

Well I'm curious to learn.

Here's my take on it - people eat more shit and do less shit.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"We live in a world of bullying and excuses in equal measure. Makes for a vicious circle it seems. "

There are few things that are socially acceptable to bully others about. Being overweight is one of the last remaining factors that it's ok to pick on people for and to try to make people feel bad about.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We live in a world of bullying and excuses in equal measure. Makes for a vicious circle it seems.

There are few things that are socially acceptable to bully others about. Being overweight is one of the last remaining factors that it's ok to pick on people for and to try to make people feel bad about."

And let's not forget on the flip side it's ok to call people skinny Minnie's and not real women if they don't have curves it seems.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"I suspect you don't understand why obesity is on the increase and why people are "ignoring" the insults and pressure to change.

Here's my take on it - people eat more shit and do less shit."

As Anna said above, bullying and damaging the self-esteem of people is not empowering them to change, should they want to.

Constantly running people down and making them insecure and unhappy erodes ability to change. Change takes confidence and self belief and support, not belittling and criticism.

People aren't "ignoring" the bullying and the outrageous "if you don't like it, change" message, they're damaged by it, to the extent that they're increasingly likely to be unable to make good life choices or positive changes.

That so many people think bullying and an "if you don't like it, change" attitude is acceptable is really depressing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We live in a world of bullying and excuses in equal measure. Makes for a vicious circle it seems.

There are few things that are socially acceptable to bully others about. Being overweight is one of the last remaining factors that it's ok to pick on people for and to try to make people feel bad about.

And let's not forget on the flip side it's ok to call people skinny Minnie's and not real women if they don't have curves it seems.

"

No one should be bullied but people shouldnt be wrapped in cotton wool either.

There is an ideal weight and being over or under it can make you more likely to suffer from other illnesses etc

I wouldn't tell anyone it's ok to starve themselves and I wouldn't tell anyone it's ok to be obese.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

No it isn't and I speak up against that too.

However, slim women are not assaulted constantly, every day, with the message that they are unacceptable and a failure.

Sure, they get nasty comments but far, far less often and the media promotes the image that they are desirable rather than that they shouldn't be seen in public.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or maybe that it's helping damaging their self esteem and self image, which doesn't make for good life choices?

A little like your earlier point I agree there's a need to help kids grow up to deal with the real world and all it's pressures.

But I don't think you achieve that by locking them away from stuff like this.

Do you also stop images of really expensive cars to stop people driving old bangers from feeling inferior? etc. etc.

If I'm allowing somebody to make me feel like shit I might tell them to fuck off - but I also need to have a think about why I felt that way because that's the one thing I can control."

That's all nice and easy to say. But advertising is specifically designed to be insidious and get inside your brain, that's the entire point of it.

There were examples in the far east of campaigns by someone like Gillette which effectively convinced women (who genetically tend to have very little body hair anyway) that they wouldn't get a husband if they had any body hair, and created a new market where there had been little previously. And the skin lightening cream example you brushed off with a joke before.

It's not locking anyone away from anything to challenge this kind of ad. I'm not saying don't ever show images of models, I'm saying don't repeatedly tell me that I shouldn't wear a bikini because I don't look like that.

Perhaps if those defending the ad could come up with more sensible reasons than "oversensitive fat women should get a grip" which is effectively what the thrust of the debate has been, we could have more of a public discussion about why these images damage self esteem.

If well-educated and otherwise secure 30 year olds can react like this what hope is there for the self conscious 12 year old dealing with the onset of puberty? Or the 6 year olds already developing body image issues. Or the 15 year old boys taking steroids because the growth in muscled imagery and messages towards men is making them now feel inadequate too.

If it was just one or two people, or just me, fine. But it's not, it's millions and millions of people. Should they all just "get a grip"? Or is it time to look around and try to establish what's contributing to that in the first place.

It's easy to be flippant about something when you don't feel it or understand it. Trust me, I would much rather be like that. But it's wrong to entirely dismiss other people's reactions to something.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wonder if any fat people saw the advert and thought 'She looks great - I fancy losing some weight this summer'..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Of course it's not, and that should be challenged too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've been insulted by larger women for being slim at clubs before, no need to be bitchy since they all claim to be happy with their size lol.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wonder if any fat people saw the advert and thought 'She looks great - I fancy losing some weight this summer'..

"

If they did, hopefully they've gone off and tried to lose some weight by a means other than forcing some minging overpriced chocolate flavoured protein dust down their gullet.

But that's a pretty big if.

It made me think fuck you I'm never going to look like that anyway, where's the biscuits.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've been insulted by larger women for being slim at clubs before, no need to be bitchy since they all claim to be happy with their size lol....."

They're happy until somebody makes them feel unhappy. Then they're unhappy that somebody dares to make them feel unhappy and so they feel they should make the people that made them feel unhappy, unhappy.

This could be a song

Reply privately

By *eliciouslyNastyMan
over a year ago

London

"I suspect you don't understand why obesity is on the increase and why people are "ignoring" the insults and pressure to change.

Here's my take on it - people eat more shit and do less shit."

Bang the fuck on!

Apparently burgers are so popular in the states, mainly because the German immigrants used to eat them while building their houses and working in the fields, now people sit on their arses all day & still have a high calorie intake...

Do you overfill your car, maybe pour some petrol on the seats...

Mildly overweight is ok, who cares, it takes all types, but there is a point when you have to ask yourself some serious questions...

And that goes for heavy drinkers, smokers and people who don't look after their teeth too...

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"If I'm allowing somebody to make me feel like shit I might tell them to fuck off - but I also need to have a think about why I felt that way because that's the one thing I can control."

If they say something that makes you feel crap occasionally you may be able to be objective about it.

If it's a constant bombardment, which it is, it goes far beyond being able to control how you feel about it.

There's only so much criticism and abuse a person can take.

As others have said above, fat women are literally bombarded with negative messages, criticism and insults all day, every day.

Of course you aren't aware of it though. Why would you be? It's not aimed at you. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

It made me think fuck you I'm never going to look like that anyway, where's the biscuits.

"

Yup.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wonder if any fat people saw the advert and thought 'She looks great - I fancy losing some weight this summer'..

If they did, hopefully they've gone off and tried to lose some weight by a means other than forcing some minging overpriced chocolate flavoured protein dust down their gullet.

But that's a pretty big if.

"

Well if they have any business acumen they'll set up a biscuit stall right next to their ads

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've been insulted by larger women for being slim at clubs before, no need to be bitchy since they all claim to be happy with their size lol.....

They're happy until somebody makes them feel unhappy. Then they're unhappy that somebody dares to make them feel unhappy and so they feel they should make the people that made them feel unhappy, unhappy.

This could be a song"

Not all fat women claim to be happy with their size. And not all fat women are bitchy to thin women. I don't feel better about myself by trying to make someone else feel crap, but I will stand up and challenge them making me feel shit in the first place. Except then I get shouted down and told to get over it. Not such a good song, but more like the reality.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've been insulted by larger women for being slim at clubs before, no need to be bitchy since they all claim to be happy with their size lol.....

This could be a song

Not all fat women claim to be happy with their size. And not all fat women are bitchy to thin women. I don't feel better about myself by trying to make someone else feel crap, but I will stand up and challenge them making me feel shit in the first place. Except then I get shouted down and told to get over it. Not such a good song, but more like the reality. "

Be better as a rap

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Ain't it funny that the women the ad is aimed at (those "needing" the weight loss collection) can see what's wrong with the ad but nobody else can?

Of course it's because the fat women are over-sensitive and jealous though. And if we don't like it we should just shut up and lose weight...

That's the chorus to the song.

If you're over-sensitive, it's your problem. You can always shut up and lose weight (you fat, lazy bitch).

I don't see it being much of a success on itunes though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stick it on the album - along with All About That Bass

Reply privately

By *pex69Man
over a year ago

Somewhere

"PMSL!

THE post of the year 2015.

Sometimes I just have to be honest mate. Call me Tonyveli when i do "

Point A-D all spot on

Reply privately

By *pex69Man
over a year ago

Somewhere

"That aside, s a gym user you've got to be aware , anyone who has a use for protein , has synced their cycles so thier diet phase coincides with are two months of summer, I'd go as far to assume , like me they've all been dropping 500 calls a week for the last 4/6. This add is no different to the adverts in a health mag since the seventies. And you must have seen them before. .. Joe wielder protien? Big fella in the add, double front bicep pose on the bottle?

The problem with this add is that it's on the tube , note in a specialised magazine"

Why can't it be on the tube? Why can't this market be targeted in a public setting without insecure people kicking up a fuss?

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Oh god, here we go again.

Round and round in bloody circles.

But whhhyyyyyyy? I don't see anything wrong with it. Insecure people need to get a grip...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bang the fuck on!

Apparently burgers are so popular in the states, mainly because the German immigrants used to eat them while building their houses and working in the fields, now people sit on their arses all day & still have a high calorie intake...

Mildly overweight is ok, who cares, it takes all types, but there is a point when you have to ask yourself some serious questions...

And that goes for heavy drinkers, smokers and people who don't look after their teeth too... "

As a Smoker, Drinker and someone who didnt look after their Teeth my first reaction to someone who told me i must ask myself some serious questions would be

Who the fuck do you think you are telling me what i should and should be doing or thinking you arrogant opinionated Twat..Thats what i would say to them

Gimp

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bang the fuck on!

And that goes for heavy drinkers, smokers and people who don't look after their teeth too...

As a Smoker, Drinker and someone who didnt look after their Teeth my first reaction to someone who told me i must ask myself some serious questions would be

Who the fuck do you think you are telling me what i should and should be doing or thinking you arrogant opinionated Twat..Thats what i would say to them

Gimp"

You clearly need to ask yourself some serious questions!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bang the fuck on!

Gimp

You clearly need to ask yourself some serious questions! "

I just did n Kicked meself in the Goolies

Gimp

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Bang the fuck on!

Gimp"

And that's after hearing it once.

Imagine how you'd feel having the message shoved down your neck day in, day out, everywhere, for years and years.

And some are wondering why the fatties are getting pissed off. Must be because we're jealous and insecure.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm think those products aren't really aimed at "fat" people anyway.

Im pretty sure they're for use in combination with exercise and a healthy diet to shed a tiny bit of awkward weight not huge amounts of it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bang the fuck on!

Gimp

And that's after hearing it once.

Imagine how you'd feel having the message shoved down your neck day in, day out, everywhere, for years and years.

And some are wondering why the fatties are getting pissed off. Must be because we're jealous and insecure."

We are none of us Perfect VV(ok im close ) Thats why i dont Criticize people about looks, Weight or even bleeding Grammar, That would make me a Hypocrite in my Eyes.

Gimp

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"I'm think those products aren't really aimed at "fat" people anyway.

Im pretty sure they're for use in combination with exercise and a healthy diet to shed a tiny bit of awkward weight not huge amounts of it."

Called the "weight loss collection"? Really? You don't think they are aimed at people who have a lot of weight to lose?

Reply privately

By *pex69Man
over a year ago

Somewhere

Im pretty sure they're for use in combination with exercise and a healthy diet to shed a tiny bit of awkward weight not huge amounts of it."

it's not but im not sure why some are defending being fat like it's normal. Being fat leads to high blood pressure, diabetes, heart diseases, kidney disease and a reduced quality of life. When 2/3 of the country are overweight (by far the highest in Europe) and the NHS spends £5bn on this, this is a serious issue.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Im pretty sure they're for use in combination with exercise and a healthy diet to shed a tiny bit of awkward weight not huge amounts of it.

it's not but im not sure why some are defending being fat like it's normal. Being fat leads to high blood pressure, diabetes, heart diseases, kidney disease and a reduced quality of life. When 2/3 of the country are overweight (by far the highest in Europe) and the NHS spends £5bn on this, this is a serious issue. "

And the way to tackle that is not to fat shame people into feeling even more shit about themselves, which will not help them make better choices. Unless its just me who has a link between emotional state/self esteem and food.

Reply privately

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

- Male

- Black

- Have curly hair

- own a red swimsuit?

If I've offended a black bloke with curly hair who wears a red swimsuit I apologise already.."

Yes you have and I'm not f**king happy!

Jokes! Just trying the lighten the mood a touch.

My take on it is nobody's perfect and a lot of what we see in the media is plays on insecurities and plays us against each other. The same machine will be telling you that you look great and you're an individual tomorrow because they still want your money.

Also, I find it quite funny as, given some preferences on this site and what we're attracted to generally, we fuel this machine. Seeing how people word their dislikes in terms of attraction can have just as damaging, maybe more, effect on people than that poster and that goes for everyone: men and women.

The day we love ourselves, along with our imperfections, is the day we'll all be happier.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

it's not but im not sure why some are defending being fat like it's normal. Being fat leads to high blood pressure, diabetes, heart diseases, kidney disease and a reduced quality of life. When 2/3 of the country are overweight (by far the highest in Europe) and the NHS spends £5bn on this, this is a serious issue. "

Nobody is defending being fat.

We're defending the right not to be treated like crap and made to feel shit for being fat.

And it's already been pointed out that this is not about health. The ad is about appearance, not health.

It is not necessary to look like that model in order to be healthy.

None of us have the vaguest clue about the health of that model. We don't know where she is in terms of a healthy weight for her height. We don't know if her body fat percentage is in the healthy range for her.

Slim and healthy are not the same thing.

The product isn't being marketed at people to improve their health, it's about telling them they aren't acceptable to be seen on a beach unless they look like the model.

The smokescreen of pretending it's all about health is bullshit.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

it's not but im not sure why some are defending being fat like it's normal. Being fat leads to high blood pressure, diabetes, heart diseases, kidney disease and a reduced quality of life. When 2/3 of the country are overweight (by far the highest in Europe) and the NHS spends £5bn on this, this is a serious issue.

And the way to tackle that is not to fat shame people into feeling even more shit about themselves, which will not help them make better choices. Unless its just me who has a link between emotional state/self esteem and food. "

It's not just you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

- Male

- Black

- Have curly hair

- own a red swimsuit?

If I've offended a black bloke with curly hair who wears a red swimsuit I apologise already..

"

If you aint got a photo of you in the red bikini... it ain't true

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

I've more of less given up.

I'm never going to look remotely close to the woman on the poster.

And I'm damned if I'm going to change because some arseholes think bullying is the way to "help" people "improve" themselves. Why reinforce the idea that it works? I refuse to be pressured to fit what someone else expects of me.

Mind you, given how much fat hating and body shaming goes on and yet, obesity is still increasing, you'd have to be pretty thick not to realise it's not an approach that works.

Like me or bloody lump me. I don't give a shit any more.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Slim and healthy are not the same thing."

No but there's a strong correlation in comparison to being obese and it therefore makes better sense for the healthier image to be generally regarded as the more aspirational.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Slim and healthy are not the same thing.

No but there's a strong correlation in comparison to being obese and it therefore makes better sense for the healthier image to be generally regarded as the more aspirational."

No, obesity is linked to a number of health problems. But so is being underweight, starving oneself, taking drugs to keep weight down, over-exercising and having a body fat % that is too low.

Slim does not mean healthy.

This health thing is just another excuse why it's ok to shame and insult over-weight people and how it's "for our own good".

It's not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well clearly this kind of campaign won't inspire some of you to lose weight.

Soooo... what would?

Anything or is it the case that you're perfectly happy as you are? If so what's the problem?

Reply privately

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

- Male

- Black

- Have curly hair

- own a red swimsuit?

If you aint got a photo of you in the red bikini... it ain't true "

Ummm Red trunks...but it's the same thing goddammit!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Pity your gym doesn't have a boxing ring as well. Then offer to show them how to use that bit of equipment.

Yes they actually said that. Not to my face, unfortunately or I would have felt justified in reporting them to a member of staff. As it was I sat on the machine and lifted twice what they had been since I'm quite strong for a fat bird.

Not the first time I've heard that kind of thing either, I've heard "oh I can't wait till January has finished and the fat people all fuck off" too."

Well I'm gobdmacked. Which is, coincidentally, what should happen to them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am beach body ready lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am beach body ready lol "

You just body shamed men everywhere

I'll be ready by summer, I will.. now, where's the biscuits..

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Well clearly this kind of campaign won't inspire some of you to lose weight.

Soooo... what would?

Anything or is it the case that you're perfectly happy as you are? If so what's the problem?"

No, I'm not happy being overweight but it isn't as easy as some people insist to change things.

Not being encouraged to hate myself and see myself as a failure constantly would be a start.

Some support and encouragement would help. I don't have a partner to encourage me and I moved 200 miles 17 months ago and don't get out much to meet new people. My mum has issues surrounding weight and isn't able to be supportive, (in fact she is one of the problems. She thinks being bigger than a size 10 is obese and is constantly on a diet).

My doctor, when I spoke to him about it just shoved Slimming World forms at me. That doesn't address the mental and emotional aspect of the problem so it won't help.

I have a mood disorder too, which makes things difficult. Health care cuts mean that in the last few years all of the health care and support I had for that has been removed to. Now I have medication tossed to me every month and that's it.

Oh, and the cost of a gym membership or expensive diet etc is prohibitive at the moment too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am beach body ready lol

You just body shamed men everywhere

I'll be ready by summer, I will.. now, where's the biscuits.."

lol yes I did there, that's good you will be, few buiscuits aint to bad. I just had some born bons lol.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You don't need an expensive gym to exercise or an expensive diet to eat healthily.

I think you do need somebody to do it with though, it's very hard to self motivate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

and

That's not why I think the advert is offensive. No one says to those single guys - you're ugly, go to the gym, you should get off the site, you don't deserve to be seen on this site, your face isn't photo-ready. "

Yes they do say that. Quite often.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not the first time I've heard that kind of thing either, I've heard "oh I can't wait till January has finished and the fat people all fuck off" too."

So challenge them. Say tough, you're staying the whole year. Smile sweetly.

It's up to you how you feel.

I am intimidated by your profile pic. I think you look great. (Being serious and honest here, not taking the piss.) I wouldn't suggest you change it to avoid offending me or making me feel inferior though.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"You don't need an expensive gym to exercise or an expensive diet to eat healthily.

I think you do need somebody to do it with though, it's very hard to self motivate."

It certainly is when your mood won't stay stable.

Imagine you went through phases of deep depression with no pattern and no warning. During those times it's difficult enough to get out of bed, shower, dress and do basic daily tasks and you can't leave the house. Those phases can last hours, or weeks. You have no idea how long each will be.

And it's easier when you can just join a gym and don't have to budget carefully and plan every meal to be sure you eat a healthy diet. When you've not been used to regular exercise and eating properly, it's difficult. They're learned skills. Having to learn how to exercise yourself is harder than being able to go to a gym.

I remember now though, you're the guy who said size 14-16 is plus size. If you can't see how that could really demoralise someone with a lot of weight to lose, I don't see you ever really understanding this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

However, slim women are not assaulted constantly, every day, with the message that they are unacceptable and a failure.

Sure, they get nasty comments but far, far less often and the media promotes the image that they are desirable rather than that they shouldn't be seen in public."

Sorry but I totally disagree with this. The media is aimed at everyone, not just non-slim people. Slim people are bombarded just the same. It could be argued that they are MORE under pressure to achieve those kinds of bodies/ maintain them.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Sure, they get nasty comments but far, far less often and the media promotes the image that they are desirable rather than that they shouldn't be seen in public.

Sorry but I totally disagree with this. The media is aimed at everyone, not just non-slim people. Slim people are bombarded just the same. It could be argued that they are MORE under pressure to achieve those kinds of bodies/ maintain them. "

Maybe they are. I'm not slim and haven't been for a long time so I don't see things from a slim point of view.

It seems to me that slim people (generally) have fewer self-esteem issues and more confidence. There has to be a reason for that.

I surmise it's because they're not constantly insulted and criticised.

I can certainly say that being constantly criticised does absolutely nothing to encourage me to lose weight and makes it more difficult for me to do so.

Fortunately I'm not going to fall for the "drink our shakes instead of eating and you could have a body like this" bollocks. It does damage my self-esteem. I wish it didn't, but it does. But I'm damned if I'm going to let a company do that and then use it to manipulate me into buying their products.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have slim fast drinks it's same thing not every day just now and again when I need a pick me up as a lot of victims in them you don't get from a lot of foods ."

Slim fast is no where near the same thing as a protein shake. I bought a can of slim fast cos it was cheaper than my protein and thought I'd give it a go, drank it, thought bloody hell this is tasty, looked at the nutrients, 230 calories per serving, 35grams of carbs and 30 grams of sugar! That's almost 8 tea spoons full of sugar, if you have the recommended 2 shakes a day that's 16 tea spoons full of sugar and will take you over your daily allowance.

Being licenced as a dietary slimming aid they should not contain that much sugar.

DO NOT USE SLIMFAST!

I'll read you the nutrients on my protein, per serving 107 calories, 2 grams of carbs, 1.2 grams of sugar and 28 grams of protein.

The two products are nowhere near the same.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You don't need an expensive gym to exercise or an expensive diet to eat healthily.

I think you do need somebody to do it with though, it's very hard to self motivate.

Imagine you went through phases of deep depression with no pattern and no warning. During those times it's difficult enough to get out of bed, shower, dress and do basic daily tasks and you can't leave the house. Those phases can last hours, or weeks. You have no idea how long each will be.

And it's easier when you can just join a gym and don't have to budget carefully and plan every meal to be sure you eat a healthy diet. When you've not been used to regular exercise and eating properly, it's difficult. They're learned skills. Having to learn how to exercise yourself is harder than being able to go to a gym.

I remember now though, you're the guy who said size 14-16 is plus size. If you can't see how that could really demoralise someone with a lot of weight to lose, I don't see you ever really understanding this."

I'd regard 16 as big - whether it's overweight obviously depends on height.

I can't help but think the longer the list of excuses the more effort placed into avoiding the reason.

It reminds me very much of giving up smoking.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

I remember now though, you're the guy who said size 14-16 is plus size. If you can't see how that could really demoralise someone with a lot of weight to lose, I don't see you ever really understanding this.

I'd regard 16 as big - whether it's overweight obviously depends on height.

I can't help but think the longer the list of excuses the more effort placed into avoiding the reason.

It reminds me very much of giving up smoking."

Size 16 is only big to those people who have been conned by the media into believing that sizes 2 and 4, (00 and 0 in the US), are normal and attainable.

And yes, there we have it. You asked why and what would help. I wondered how long it would take you to dismiss it as excuses.

Not long, apparently. Thank you very much for simply dismissing an honest, and quite personal, answer to your question. That's not another case of belittling people with weight problems at all.

I suppose I should just pull myself together with the mental health problem too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Soooo... what would?

Anything or is it the case that you're perfectly happy as you are? If so what's the problem?"

What would inspire fat people to lose weight? Hmmm, nothing, you need to be in the right headspace to dramatically lose weight and make significant changes to your body.

I'm not what most would consider fat but I'm fatter than I've ever been due to the bastard depoprevera or whatever the fuck it's called contraceptive injection. I put on 1stone 11lbs in 6 months, I've lost 10lbs in the last 3 weeks because I've back in that head space again. But it's so fucking hard to motivate yourself when you feel shit, I felt shit because none of my clothes fitted me so I ate more, I'd think ooooh I'll be healthy now but then Monday would come and I'd need something to eat whilst I watch game of thrones, Tuesday ooh need something to eat to watch Geordie shore, Wednesday need something to eat whilst I watch the island, Thursday I need something to eat to watch fucking question time. It's hard to get out of that mentality and I know exactly what to do in the gym, I know exactly what foods to eat and what exercise is needed to drop body fat fast and get to a certain weight but even I struggle to get motivation and change.

I don't think you can inspire overweight people to lose weight because it's not just about telling them to train and eat better. All of that has to come from within. What could be some is an overhaul of the products that people do know about, Slim fast for example as someone's already mentioned it, those adverts show reasonable average women drinking the shakes, but the shakes contain shit which will keep you fat, it's sugar that makes you fat. Remarket the products that are already there but cut the sugar out of them.

Keep the adverts of the über fit for the fitness magazines.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Eating healthy is now easily attainable and affordable it just calls for a totally different mindset and discipline. Once you have all the staples it's surprisingly easy to maintain a healthy balanced diet.

That aside the temptation and other issues that come from binge/junk is the hard part.

Willpower

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Size 16 is only big to those people who have been conned by the media into believing that sizes 2 and 4, (00 and 0 in the US), are normal and attainable.

And yes, there we have it. You asked why and what would help. I wondered how long it would take you to dismiss it as excuses.

Not long, apparently. Thank you very much for simply dismissing an honest, and quite personal, answer to your question. That's not another case of belittling people with weight problems at all.

I suppose I should just pull myself together with the mental health problem too."

If you make a long list of excuses you're kind of drawing attention to that!

I was drawing paralell to my experience of making endless excuses over many years to avoid doing what I knew to be in my own best interests.

As for the size argument that's just bullshit - whoever suggested sizes 2 & 4 are healthy sizes to aspire to in any of these discussions? Nothing to do with anything except in your own interpretation of things.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What would inspire fat people to lose weight? Hmmm, nothing, you need to be in the right headspace to dramatically lose weight and make significant changes to your body."

So essentially fat people will remain so unless they choose not to be - pretty much the same as smokers, alcoholics etc. etc. If this is the case it makes this debate pointless as it therefore has no impact either way.

(Which I think we all knew to be generally the case anyway)

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Soooo... what would?

Anything or is it the case that you're perfectly happy as you are? If so what's the problem?

What would inspire fat people to lose weight? Hmmm, nothing, you need to be in the right headspace to dramatically lose weight and make significant changes to your body.

I'm not what most would consider fat but I'm fatter than I've ever been due to the bastard depoprevera or whatever the fuck it's called contraceptive injection. I put on 1stone 11lbs in 6 months, I've lost 10lbs in the last 3 weeks because I've back in that head space again. But it's so fucking hard to motivate yourself when you feel shit, I felt shit because none of my clothes fitted me so I ate more, I'd think ooooh I'll be healthy now but then Monday would come and I'd need something to eat whilst I watch game of thrones, Tuesday ooh need something to eat to watch Geordie shore, Wednesday need something to eat whilst I watch the island, Thursday I need something to eat to watch fucking question time. It's hard to get out of that mentality and I know exactly what to do in the gym, I know exactly what foods to eat and what exercise is needed to drop body fat fast and get to a certain weight but even I struggle to get motivation and change.

I don't think you can inspire overweight people to lose weight because it's not just about telling them to train and eat better. All of that has to come from within. What could be some is an overhaul of the products that people do know about, Slim fast for example as someone's already mentioned it, those adverts show reasonable average women drinking the shakes, but the shakes contain shit which will keep you fat, it's sugar that makes you fat. Remarket the products that are already there but cut the sugar out of them.

Keep the adverts of the über fit for the fitness magazines. "

I don't often agree with you, and I took real exception to your comment about alloys on Reliant Robins, but this post is absolutely spot on.

Most people cannot make significant, lasting improvements in their lives when feeling shit about themselves and not being in the right headspace.

Bullying and belittling people, and encouraging them to hate themselves, will only ever hold people back from making positive changes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Most people cannot make significant, lasting improvements in their lives when feeling shit about themselves and not being in the right headspace."

I agree with this - but it's unfair to blame everybody else for making you feel that way when that's not their intention.

So much of this seems to be about people taking things very very personally.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"What would inspire fat people to lose weight? Hmmm, nothing, you need to be in the right headspace to dramatically lose weight and make significant changes to your body.

So essentially fat people will remain so unless they choose not to be - pretty much the same as smokers, alcoholics etc. etc. If this is the case it makes this debate pointless as it therefore has no impact either way.

(Which I think we all knew to be generally the case anyway)"

No!

Yes, the fat people have to want to change. They also have to be in the right place (with the right support).

The current fat shaming culture is making fat people less able to change when they want to.

There's genuine help available for smokers to quit. There are solutions to help deal with cravings and to help smokers cope with difficult times, such as situations where they would normally smoke. The social aspect and the mental aspects are recognised and considered.

Those trying to lose weight, on the other hand, face a lot of confusing, contradictory information, a diet industry that doesn't want them to keep weight off, and tries to make them feel bad in order to sell them products and nastiness from others, (such as the girls who were rude to Anna in the gym).

It's NOT like giving up smoking.

Is that what this is? You gave up smoking so nobody has any excuse not to lose weight?

Sheesh!

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Most people cannot make significant, lasting improvements in their lives when feeling shit about themselves and not being in the right headspace.

I agree with this - but it's unfair to blame everybody else for making you feel that way when that's not their intention.

So much of this seems to be about people taking things very very personally."

That is the intention of the ad though. It is relying on the insecurities of women in order to sell products. Of course the intention is to cause and grow those insecurities.

I've nothing against the model in the ad. I know she must work very hard for her body. I'm not jealous because it's a non-issue. I'm never going to look like that. I accepted that a long while ago and I'm over it. There's no point in aspiring to the impossible.

I do have a problem with the suggestion that unless I look like that, I'm not "beach ready", or whatever else I'm told I am or am not on the basis of my weight.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bollocks - you already said your doctor offered you help. You chose not to accept it - that seems like pretty genuine help to me.

As for the current 'fat shaming culture' I see the opposite. I see it more and more being celebrated and find it shocking just how prevalent it is.

You have a tendency to pick bits of what's being said and use them in ways they were clearly not intended as - which kind of makes debating tedious. Perhaps if you applied that same approach to your physical health you'd see the progress you want.

Good luck

Back to the actual topic - I see Carol Decker says she'd turn gay for the model on the poster

Reply privately

By *pex69Man
over a year ago

Somewhere

This playing the victim card for your own weight is hilarious

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"What would inspire fat people to lose weight? Hmmm, nothing, you need to be in the right headspace to dramatically lose weight and make significant changes to your body.

(Which I think we all knew to be generally the case anyway)

No!

Yes, the fat people have to want to change. They also have to be in the right place (with the right support).

The current fat shaming culture is making fat people less able to change when they want to.

There's genuine help available for smokers to quit. There are solutions to help deal with cravings and to help smokers cope with difficult times, such as situations where they would normally smoke. The social aspect and the mental aspects are recognised and considered.

Those trying to lose weight, on the other hand, face a lot of confusing, contradictory information, a diet industry that doesn't want them to keep weight off, and tries to make them feel bad in order to sell them products and nastiness from others, (such as the girls who were rude to Anna in the gym).

It's NOT like giving up smoking.

Is that what this is? You gave up smoking so nobody has any excuse not to lose weight?

Sheesh! "

Oh, and absolutely no help with the mental or emotional aspects, which are absolutely key when it comes to the weight issues of a huge proportion of people.

Diets don't work 90% of the time. Yet even my doctor offered no support but thrust diet club forms at me when I asked for help.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Bollocks - you already said your doctor offered you help. You chose not to accept it - that seems like pretty genuine help to me.

As for the current 'fat shaming culture' I see the opposite. I see it more and more being celebrated and find it shocking just how prevalent it is.

You have a tendency to pick bits of what's being said and use them in ways they were clearly not intended as - which kind of makes debating tedious. Perhaps if you applied that same approach to your physical health you'd see the progress you want.

Good luck

Back to the actual topic - I see Carol Decker says she'd turn gay for the model on the poster "

Didn't the doctor just say to go to slimming world? That's not help! I get leaflets put through my door for that.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Bollocks - you already said your doctor offered you help. You chose not to accept it - that seems like pretty genuine help to me.

Good luck

Back to the actual topic - I see Carol Decker says she'd turn gay for the model on the poster "

Shoving Slimming World forms at me is not offering help. The basis of my weight problem is emotional and mental, as I've already explained. Slimming World was like offering a vitamin tablet for a broken leg.

Reply privately

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

Soooo... what would?

Keep the adverts of the über fit for the fitness magazines.

I don't often agree with you, and I took real exception to your comment about alloys on Reliant Robins, but this post is absolutely spot on.

Most people cannot make significant, lasting improvements in their lives when feeling shit about themselves and not being in the right headspace.

Bullying and belittling people, and encouraging them to hate themselves, will only ever hold people back from making positive changes."

I feel for you VV.

I've been reading your posts throughout this thread and it's obviously something that's strikes a nerve. There are some things you're right about and some things you're not.

You're right that the media and society set unrealistic targets about how we should look and can be impossible for some. You're wrong because we are all individuals and all have our personal best that, with a little encouragement and a patient approach, we can achieve. There's a saying "I'd rather be someone's shot of whisky than everyone's cup of tea."

I think that's how it goes! We won't all reach this "perfect" male/female form but we can always be the best "me" possible.

I just hope you find that. Good luck to you.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Good luck

Again, dismissing what you're being told. So much for wanting to learn and understand.

If you think shoving a Slimming World form at someone is help with losing weight, there isn't much hope of you learning or understanding.

Here, have a vitamin tablet. It might help with your ignorance of the problem and your dismissive, pro-fat shaming attitude.

Next time you complain about the problem of obesity in this country though, know that your attitude is making it worse, not better.

Once upon a time, body dysmorphia and eating disorders were mainly a female problem. They're now issues growing at an alarming rate, affecting males as well as females and are affecting younger and younger children. Is the approach we're using working? I'd say it's a resounding no and we're moving absolutely in the wrong direction.

Your attitude, and your refusal to accept what you're being told by people actually experiencing this, is part of the problem. You should be so proud of yourself.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You need to get in the real world sunshine

Big smiles and hugs to VV

Her

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Thanks

For anyone who's read this and is wondering, I'm currently in a down phase which is why I've wasted all day on here so far rather than doing anything constructive and why the subject is hitting the nerve as hard as it is. This is always a difficult subject for me when I'm down, have no motivation and feel like crap about myself.

Reply privately