Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Did Jamila have it spot on?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Listening to a radio debate this evening about Jamila's input into the debate on Loose Women. I find it spot on, unless you have a medical reason there's is no reason to be below a size 8 or over a size 18/20, thoughts?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can of worms you just opened.

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Listening to a radio debate this evening about Jamila's input into the debate on Loose Women. I find it spot on, unless you have a medical reason there's is no reason to be below a size 8 or over a size 18/20, thoughts? "

I can think of one:

Freedom of choice?

Mr ddc

Reply privately

over a year ago

Popcorn

Reply privately

over a year ago

Jamila who.?

Reply privately

over a year ago

That's because she's a dumb fuck

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Listening to a radio debate this evening about Jamila's input into the debate on Loose Women. I find it spot on, unless you have a medical reason there's is no reason to be below a size 8 or over a size 18/20, thoughts? "

both are a risk to health....some people need to take responsibility for it....instead of waiting for the NHS to mop up afterwards....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Listening to a radio debate this evening about Jamila's input into the debate on Loose Women. I find it spot on, unless you have a medical reason there's is no reason to be below a size 8 or over a size 18/20, thoughts?

I can think of one:

Freedom of choice?

Mr ddc"

Who would actually choose to be a size 18/20? Seriously? I know we're gonna get a lot saying "well I'm happy and I'm a size 18/20" but come on they say that because there backed into a corner.

Reply privately

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

ok, yeah I'll throw my hat in the ring here.

Wheres all the lean mean huntresses around 14 stone at these days?? oh right.. they fledged into McDonalds hunters..

Do I care If I offend anyone with my comments?? nope - cause I am fast sliding down that podgy slope myself.

Anyone to blame?

Yep me.

*throws a bomb, and waits for the battering*. (on my mars bar would be preferable, cheers).

Diet , anyone??

Reply privately

By *epper123Woman
over a year ago

London

"Listening to a radio debate this evening about Jamila's input into the debate on Loose Women. I find it spot on, unless you have a medical reason there's is no reason to be below a size 8 or over a size 18/20, thoughts?

I can think of one:

Freedom of choice?

Mr ddc

I am not quite that, but do have a medical problem, the very same under active thyroid that can make me fall asleep whilst given my bf a blow job. Lucky we both have a sense of humour and now my meds have been adjusted, who knows. Saying that though, I do find it hard to resist my feeder as he likes the curvy look

Who would actually choose to be a size 18/20? Seriously? I know we're gonna get a lot saying "well I'm happy and I'm a size 18/20" but come on they say that because there backed into a corner. "

Reply privately

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

I can think of one:

Freedom of choice?

Mr ddc

Who would actually choose to be a size 18/20? Seriously? I know we're gonna get a lot saying "well I'm happy and I'm a size 18/20" but come on they say that because there backed into a corner. "

Wouldn't be much of a corner after that tbh.. party for one, maybe??

Reply privately

over a year ago

Im a fat bitch!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

free choice i say

but it also says alot about a person who cant look after themselves

Reply privately

over a year ago

If it's unhealthy it's bad, I'd be a little more lenient on the lower end but all extremes in weight are an indication of a destructive lifestyle.

Reply privately

over a year ago

both are a risk to health....some people need to take responsibility for it....instead of waiting for the NHS to mop up afterwards...."

The nhs is full of people who are average size. Fat people aren't always ill because they are fat,some get fat because they are ill. Ditto with underweight people. I've been both and it wasn't because I didn't care about my health.

Reply privately

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Can of worms you just opened."

Bloody ell, Yoda has joined Fab

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If it's unhealthy it's bad, I'd be a little more lenient on the lower end but all extremes in weight are an indication of a destructive lifestyle. "

Talking rubbish. I'm overweight,have been for years now,for most of my life before that,from childhood I was underweight. There was nothing destructive about my life. I was a little bit shy but an A student,happy and very well behaved. Some people eat because their bodies tell them to. Look up Serotonin and it's uses in the body.

Reply privately

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

" Scuse me, budge up, sorry for rustling my bag of popcorn. Ah thats better, now, where were we"??

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm more concerned with what we going to do with the gingers tbh.

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

I can think of one:

Freedom of choice?

Mr ddc

It isn't free choice? Someone is force-feeding them?

Sick bastards

Reply privately

over a year ago

"ok, yeah I'll throw my hat in the ring here.

Wheres all the lean mean huntresses around 14 stone at these days?? oh right.. they fledged into McDonalds hunters..

Do I care If I offend anyone with my comments?? nope - cause I am fast sliding down that podgy slope myself.

Anyone to blame?

Yep me.

*throws a bomb, and waits for the battering*. (on my mars bar would be preferable, cheers).

Diet , anyone??"

Reply privately

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

"Popcorn"

Thanks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If it's unhealthy it's bad, I'd be a little more lenient on the lower end but all extremes in weight are an indication of a destructive lifestyle. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If it's unhealthy it's bad, I'd be a little more lenient on the lower end but all extremes in weight are an indication of a destructive lifestyle.

Talking rubbish. I'm overweight,have been for years now,for most of my life before that,from childhood I was underweight. There was nothing destructive about my life. I was a little bit shy but an A student,happy and very well behaved. Some people eat because their bodies tell them to. Look up Serotonin and it's uses in the body. "

get outside and exercise then....sun increases seratonin....that is if you are going to start getting technical about it.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can we blame Ukip?

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's just the way society has gone. This post is not meant to be disrespectful but Jamila made what I thought was a valid point yet a lot were offended by her view.

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Can we blame Ukip? "

I blame the immigrants. They're the ones eating all the fresh fruit and veg. Coming over here, telling us to 'eat cake'...

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Popcorn"

Is that fattening

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's just the way society has gone. This post is not meant to be disrespectful but Jamila made what I thought was a valid point yet a lot were offended by her view."

everyone makes excuses and no-one wants to takes responsibility for their own actions....it is everywhere now, not just health issues...

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Wasn't she also saying they shouldn't have their own clothes?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If it's unhealthy it's bad, I'd be a little more lenient on the lower end but all extremes in weight are an indication of a destructive lifestyle.

Talking rubbish. I'm overweight,have been for years now,for most of my life before that,from childhood I was underweight. There was nothing destructive about my life. I was a little bit shy but an A student,happy and very well behaved. Some people eat because their bodies tell them to. Look up Serotonin and it's uses in the body. "

Are you arguing that being severely underweight or overweight isn't unhealthy, because that's what I was saying.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Talking rubbish. I'm overweight,have been for years now,for most of my life before that,from childhood I was underweight. There was nothing destructive about my life. I was a little bit shy but an A student,happy and very well behaved. Some people eat because their bodies tell them to. Look up Serotonin and it's uses in the body.

Are you arguing that being severely underweight or overweight isn't unhealthy, because that's what I was saying. "

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Are you arguing that being severely underweight or overweight isn't unhealthy, because that's what I was saying. "

Technically you were accusing anyone.who.was more than slightly overweight of leading a 'destructive lifestyle'

Reply privately

over a year ago

Are you arguing that being severely underweight or overweight isn't unhealthy, because that's what I was saying.

"

I was referring to your comment about destructive lifestyle. Quite a lot of people within those size parameters are very unhealthy. People assume weight is connected to health always.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ice cream!

No frozen yoghurt left sorry

Reply privately

over a year ago

Technically you were accusing anyone.who.was more than slightly overweight of leading a 'destructive lifestyle'"

The phrasing was harsh but I stand by it, my little sister is bulimic and it's been a real toll on her socially.

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Ice cream!

No frozen yoghurt left sorry "

Is that the Ben and Jerry's one with extra cookies?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's just the way society has gone. This post is not meant to be disrespectful but Jamila made what I thought was a valid point yet a lot were offended by her view.

everyone makes excuses and no-one wants to takes responsibility for their own actions....it is everywhere now, not just health issues... "

I don't make excuses for putting on 9 stone,I also don't apologise for it. I'm no less healthy than I was when I wasn't overweight. Not according to my 4 times a year health check ups. I'm cancer free,cholesterol normal,blood sugar normal,thyroid normal,you name it I'm normal for my age. Apart from my blood pressure which is a little low I'm healthy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was referring to your comment about destructive lifestyle. Quite a lot of people within those size parameters are very unhealthy. People assume weight is connected to health always. "

Yes that's very true, but in this instance there are direct correlations between extremes in weight and poor health. That not to say it's always the case, I know some very healthy people in sport that would be classed as underweight.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Ice cream!

No frozen yoghurt left sorry "

budge up, my fat arse needs room

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

The phrasing was harsh but I stand by it, my little sister is bulimic and it's been a real toll on her socially. "

But not everyone who is overweight is bulimic.

So what are we saying here? That people larger than size 14 should be shot, starved, or just not allowed clothes?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The phrasing was harsh but I stand by it, my little sister is bulimic and it's been a real toll on her socially.

So what are we saying here? That people larger than size 14 should be shot, starved, or just not allowed clothes?

"

put on a treadmill with a cheesecake just outa reach!!

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

put on a treadmill with a cheesecake just outa reach!! "

I'd say it's always either the carrot or the stick, but flogging's too good for em, I say!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I'd say it's always either the carrot or the stick, but flogging's too good for em, I say!"

awwwwww!

I can fit a lot of stripes on this ass!!!

Reply privately

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

"

I'd say it's always either the carrot or the stick, but flogging's too good for em, I say!"

Fuck about,, put a flogger on me and threaten to stop.. I will be 9st within a week!!! *might need sone sturdy armed fuckers for that*

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"

The post was about underweight people to which is just as unhealthy. I think fat people need help tbh and im talking really fat. I don't believe anyone that are obese are happy with themselves. They are in denial. Those people can't face reality so eat to cope. They need better coping mechanisms and talking thorough their underlying problems.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Also the government need to step in. Its too easy to gain weight if you're not paying attention. Better labelling is needed. To many products hide fat and sugar content.

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Aha!

So you've both exactly proved my, ...er....

(Mental picture of two sexy arses bent over for me is putting me off my stride here)

Where did the flab-nazis go? Don't say low blood sugar levels got the better of them?

Where was I?

Oh yes, bend over, a man's gotta do...etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"

You're extrapolating a lot, I'm not talking about overweight people. I'm talking about all people who are unhealthy, due to the consequence of their weight. Their actual weight, if they are healthy, is of no importance to me. Health is the main thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

put on a treadmill with a cheesecake just outa reach!! "

I can't stand cheesecake. Make it a hot man and I'm in

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Aha!

So you've both exactly proved my, ...er....

(Mental picture of two sexy arses bent over for me is putting me off my stride here)

Where did the flab-nazis go? Don't say low blood sugar levels got the better of them?

Where was I?

Oh yes, bend over, a man's gotta do...etc"

they're still here, you just cant see them behind me...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not a size 18/20 and have type 2 diabetes. It's a genetic thing for my family, and the slimmer people are in my family the more likely they are to have type 1 diabetes.

I suggest all these experts on body size actually go out and study some science before they make their stupid comments.

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

The post was about underweight opeople to which is just as unhealthy. I think fat people need help tbh and im talking really fat. I don't believe anyone that are obese are happy with themselves. They are in denial. Those people can't face reality so eat to cope. They need better coping mechanisms and talking thorough their underlying problems. "

My problem is with the attitude that the state must step in to take control of someone's life. If people want help, that is one thing, but I don't think Jamelia, or the OP was advocating that. There was more the usual 'lets start a.witch-hunt against someone' about it all.

But I may be wrong, it's late...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Wasn't she also saying they shouldn't have their own clothes?"

I heard that yeah, she thinks they should walk around naked or something coz big/small clothes encourage people to be fat/skinny.

These people think their opinion is more important than studying psychology, genetics or social issues.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Can we blame Ukip?

I blame the immigrants. They're the ones eating all the fresh fruit and veg. Coming over here, telling us to 'eat cake'..."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The post was about underweight opeople to which is just as unhealthy. I think fat people need help tbh and im talking really fat. I don't believe anyone that are obese are happy with themselves. They are in denial. Those people can't face reality so eat to cope. They need better coping mechanisms and talking thorough their underlying problems.

My problem is with the attitude that the state must step in to take control of someone's life. If people want help, that is one thing, but I don't think Jamelia, or the OP was advocating that. There was more the usual 'lets start a.witch-hunt against someone' about it all.

But I may be wrong, it's late..."

Yes I think you are wrong.....

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

You're extrapolating a lot, I'm not talking about overweight people. I'm talking about all people who are unhealthy, due to the consequence of their weight. Their actual weight, if they are healthy, is of no importance to me. Health is the main thing. "

I.was trying to couch it in terms of the OP, and the statement of Jamelia, who in turn was responding to the Plus Size Wars programme

Reply privately

over a year ago

Im over weight n it makes my have health issues so im trying to do something about it

Day 1 without booze completed btw xxxxx

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Wasn't she also saying they shouldn't have their own clothes?

I heard that yeah, she thinks they should walk around naked or something coz big/small clothes encourage people to be fat/skinny.

These people think their opinion is more important than studying psychology, genetics or social issues."

Well,.these 'book-learning' types are all very well, but I always say, if you want real solutions to real everyday problems, you can't do better than ask the opinion of a bigoted hip-hop r&b singer

Reply privately

over a year ago

The issue was not about people who have weight issues due to medical reasons but due to being bone idle. Whatever way you look at it being below a size 8 or over 18/20 is unhealthy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

These people think their opinion is more important than studying psychology, genetics or social issues.

Well,.these 'book-learning' types are all very well, but I always say, if you want real solutions to real everyday problems, you can't do better than ask the opinion of a bigoted hip-hop r&b singer"

Yes, i noticed my doctor calls Jamilia when he needs advice.

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"The issue was not about people who have weight issues due to medical reasons but due to being bone idle. Whatever way you look at it being below a size 8 or over 18/20 is unhealthy."

That may (or may not, depending on the circumstances) be so.

I was disputing the original statement that there was no reason to be so, and the inference of Jamelia that these people deservered to be treated somehow as second class citizens

Reply privately

over a year ago

Once again a celebrity spouts a crock of rubbish and she gets noticed.. when did she last amount to being famous for anything.. erm I'd say back before 2010.. some 'celebrities' will say anything for a bit of airtime!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's just the way society has gone. This post is not meant to be disrespectful but Jamila made what I thought was a valid point yet a lot were offended by her view.

everyone makes excuses and no-one wants to takes responsibility for their own actions....it is everywhere now, not just health issues...

I don't make excuses for putting on 9 stone,I also don't apologise for it. I'm no less healthy than I was when I wasn't overweight. Not according to my 4 times a year health check ups. I'm cancer free,cholesterol normal,blood sugar normal,thyroid normal,you name it I'm normal for my age. Apart from my blood pressure which is a little low I'm healthy. "

skeletal problems cannot be tested for until it is too late and the bones are already causing pain.....but if you think you are healthy at 9 stones heavier than you used to be....you carry on keep telling yourself that....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The issue was not about people who have weight issues due to medical reasons but due to being bone idle. Whatever way you look at it being below a size 8 or over 18/20 is unhealthy."

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Well,.these 'book-learning' types are all very well, but I always say, if you want real solutions to real everyday problems, you can't do better than ask the opinion of a bigoted hip-hop r&b singer

Yes, i noticed my doctor calls Jamilia when he needs advice. "

I'm surprised he can get through, what with Obama asking her how to solve the Palestinian crisis, and Cameron asking her for advice on the situation in Libya. Thank God Katie Hopkins is on hand to help out when things get really busy...

Reply privately

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Meanwhile, I have to be up in 4 hours, so save me some popcorn, and sweet (low calorie sweetener) dreams everyone

xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Meanwhile, I have to be up in 4 hours, so save me some popcorn, and sweet (low calorie sweetener) dreams everyone

xx"

Night. I enjoyed your replies.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's just the way society has gone. This post is not meant to be disrespectful but Jamila made what I thought was a valid point yet a lot were offended by her view."

I only saw the headline and heard people being offended.

I think she has a valid point too. Not offended at all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

everyone makes excuses and no-one wants to takes responsibility for their own actions....it is everywhere now, not just health issues... "

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't make excuses for putting on 9 stone,I also don't apologise for it. I'm no less healthy than I was when I wasn't overweight. Not according to my 4 times a year health check ups. I'm cancer free,cholesterol normal,blood sugar normal,thyroid normal,you name it I'm normal for my age. Apart from my blood pressure which is a little low I'm healthy.

skeletal problems cannot be tested for until it is too late and the bones are already causing pain.....but if you think you are healthy at 9 stones heavier than you used to be....you carry on keep telling yourself that...."

I'm not near death's door like I was then and my skeletal problems were diagnosed at the age of 2. I'm not stupid and thinking my weight isn't impacting on my body,I know pain,I've lived with it forever. What does annoy me is when people say my weight is the cause of my health problems. It was my health problems that caused my weight gain and in a very short time. Ironically,my back hurts less now than when I was a size 10. Possible due to less activity.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Also the government need to step in. Its too easy to gain weight if you're not paying attention. Better labelling is needed. To many products hide fat and sugar content. "

Rubbish - the food labelling system is fine as it is....and if a product doesn't have the breakdwon on it....then just don't buy....even Macdonalds but up on their menus the nutritional break down of fats, calories

why is it the governments fault that people are fat? they are not force feeding them???.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

skeletal problems cannot be tested for until it is too late and the bones are already causing pain.....but if you think you are healthy at 9 stones heavier than you used to be....you carry on keep telling yourself that....

I'm not near death's door like I was then and my skeletal problems were diagnosed at the age of 2. I'm not stupid and thinking my weight isn't impacting on my body,I know pain,I've lived with it forever. What does annoy me is when people say my weight is the cause of my health problems. It was my health problems that caused my weight gain and in a very short time. Ironically,my back hurts less now than when I was a size 10. Possible due to less activity. "

I'm still fairly active but had a crippling problem with my pelvis (it split during one of my pregnancies), if i go under a certain weight i'm in pain all the time again. I do think my fat helps pad around the area and maybe cushions it to prevent pain?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can think of one:

Freedom of choice?

Mr ddc

Every single person who is a size 18/20 (excusing a very small percentage who have Prader-Willi) chose to be that size usualy a choice they reaffirmed every day for years it's not like it happened over night they had plenty of warning they were over eating as each extra pound and inch was added.

All they had to do was reduce their intake till the weight stopped adding on but they didn't.

They chose to be that way, most eventually even out at a fixed weight which is the size they need to be for their bmr to have risen enough to balance out the amount of food they eat (fat cells need nurishment too)

Reply privately

over a year ago

free choice i say

but it also says alot about a person who cant look after themselves "

Perhaps NI should increase with every percent body fat over say 30%.

That way like smokers they pay the extra costs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

both are a risk to health....some people need to take responsibility for it....instead of waiting for the NHS to mop up afterwards....

The nhs is full of people who are average size. Fat people aren't always ill because they are fat,some get fat because they are ill. Ditto with underweight people. I've been both and it wasn't because I didn't care about my health. "

Obeasity costs the nhs more than smoking does at this point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Also the government need to step in. Its too easy to gain weight if you're not paying attention. Better labelling is needed. To many products hide fat and sugar content. "

No they don't it's right ther eon the packet as a. Per 100g total and as a per portion total as has been the legal requirements for years. (UK products also have percent of RDA per portion)

If someone is unwilling to turn the packet over and look they arnt going to look if you made it 3 inches high across the front as they just don't care

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fuck it, after reading all that.......im off for bacon butty n a brew.

Reply privately

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Popcorn"
hope it's low fat low sugar/salt don't want to risk my health

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

No

Reply privately

By *r and mrs willingCouple
over a year ago

SOUTH WEST & WALES

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm more concerned with what we going to do with the gingers tbh."

Send them all my way. Ginger women are so sexy

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well I'm f@!$ed then!!

But seriously I had PCOS when I was younger and always blamed that for me being overweight, but truth is when I actually put my mind to it and put some effort in I lost weight.

My weight crept up again after my last child but I am back on the diet and it's going again, so I put my hand up and say I'm fat (and ginger) and it's all my fault!

"I'm more concerned with what we going to do with the gingers tbh."

Reply privately

By *isterTeaseMan
over a year ago

Chigwell

get outside and exercise then....sun increases seratonin....that is if you are going to start getting technical about it....."

Reply privately

By *rsIdiotWoman
over a year ago

Bedworth

Ah yes, a good old fat bashing thread.....not had one for a while

Reply privately

over a year ago

I for one am....no I can't be bothered.

Reply privately

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

dont really care what the debate was about ... I would like to say that Jamila is FIT, AS, FUCK. And she could have all of my babies all week long. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do mental health problems/eating disorders count as medical problems? Because they sure as hell play a part in both extremes a lot of the time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think she's correct and it's a worrying trend that obesity is becoming more acceptable.

Reply privately

over a year ago

She may have a point, however there's a way to express an opinion. Positively helping those who want to lose weight or gain weight -and that doesn't involve telling them they shouldn't be able to get clothes to fit them. If you can dress well and you feel good in yourself - isn't that going to help you feel better within yourself. You're more likely then to be in a positive frame of mind to exercise and eat more healthily etc. If you can't buy clothes to exercise in, in the first place - you won't do it will you? Especially if you are conscious of your size anyway.

And re the NHS - I'm sure obesity and eating disorders are costing lots , but I'm pretty sure that alcohol mis use costs it a hell of a lot too!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wear a size 6 even when I'm overweight.

I'm small. I can't help it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Also the government need to step in. Its too easy to gain weight if you're not paying attention. Better labelling is needed. To many products hide fat and sugar content.

No they don't it's right ther eon the packet as a. Per 100g total and as a per portion total as has been the legal requirements for years. (UK products also have percent of RDA per portion)

If someone is unwilling to turn the packet over and look they arnt going to look if you made it 3 inches high across the front as they just don't care "

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Do mental health problems/eating disorders count as medical problems? Because they sure as hell play a part in both extremes a lot of the time. "

Don't be silly Anna...we all know only anorexic people can have mental health problems or eating disorders. Anyone who struggles with being overweight is just a fat glutinous slob and deserves all the derision and shaming they get. They should wear burlap sacks as no clothing store should provide them with clothing ranges, despite the fact that if we walked around naked everyone would have an issue with that. Heaven forbid anyone acknowledges the mental and emotional link between food and feelings and shaming and increases the link between food and feelings.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's really interesting that she herself went through a large weight loss and used to be really quite overweight, IIRC. She's saying that fat people shouldn't have access to clothes and so forth - but how would she have felt when she was forced to be naked?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can see why some are taking it as personal insult, but surely everyone agrees that obesity is an issue that needs tackling not celebrating?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I can see why some are taking it as personal insult, but surely everyone agrees that obesity is an issue that needs tackling not celebrating?"

Sometimes though people celebrate it as they've spent years being derided or being made to feel bad about it. Plus feeling different to the norm. So they cover up their true feelings or get to the point where they think - actually I'm ok.

It's tackling the link between eating and feelings that's the one that needs looking at.

Reply privately

By *ovely CummingsWoman
over a year ago

Peaky Nipples

The nhs is full of people who are average size. Fat people aren't always ill because they are fat,some get fat because they are ill. Ditto with underweight people. I've been both and it wasn't because I didn't care about my health.

"

Care of the elderly out costs everything (in and out of the NHS) and is growing - do we have a Logan's Run society to look forward to based on many of the logic applied in this thread

?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think the link between eating, lack of physical activity etc. are just one factor.

Culture is another and I as I understodd it that's what she's trying to tackle - that being obese is not something to celebrate or encourage.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh goodie another weight debate.

It's really quite simple. If you are happy good on you. if you are not then do something about it.

However it is no one's place or right to judge other people.

Our society is so shallow.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"However it is no one's place or right to judge other people. "

I think it's everybody's right to do so

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Do mental health problems/eating disorders count as medical problems? Because they sure as hell play a part in both extremes a lot of the time.

Don't be silly Anna...we all know only anorexic people can have mental health problems or eating disorders. Anyone who struggles with being overweight is just a fat glutinous slob and deserves all the derision and shaming they get. They should wear burlap sacks as no clothing store should provide them with clothing ranges, despite the fact that if we walked around naked everyone would have an issue with that. Heaven forbid anyone acknowledges the mental and emotional link between food and feelings and shaming and increases the link between food and feelings.

"

Yes sorry, silly me.

IMO it is another form of self harm. Most people wouldn't tell someone with scars on their arms from cutting to just 'get a grip' but they would call a fat person greedy and lazy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Do mental health problems/eating disorders count as medical problems? Because they sure as hell play a part in both extremes a lot of the time.

Yes sorry, silly me.

IMO it is another form of self harm. Most people wouldn't tell someone with scars on their arms from cutting to just 'get a grip' but they would call a fat person greedy and lazy. "

I have self harmed in the past & most just tell me to "stop doing it."

I wish I'd thought of that before doing it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I have self harmed in the past & most just tell me to "stop doing it."

I wish I'd thought of that before doing it "

Really? Bloody hell, I'm putting too much faith in people not to be complete idiots

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

touched a nerve...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I can see why some are taking it as personal insult, but surely everyone agrees that obesity is an issue that needs tackling not celebrating?"

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I can think of one:

Freedom of choice?

Mr ddc

I chose it as a way of protecting myself.

Putting our clothes in specialist shops only will not encourage us to lose weight and become thinner.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The difficulty is that society at the moment isn't challenging severe weight as much as it should be - average weights are up year on year, and it's costing billions as a result. People can stick their heads in the sand, if weight becomes unhealthy it has to be addressed better. I've worked with both anorexics and morbidly obese, neither are good of course - and often loved ones just don't feel they can effect change for that person.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thin people at target weight still can have high cholesterol or diabetes or bowel diseases.

Reply privately

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

I think it's really interesting that she herself went through a large weight loss and used to be really quite overweight, IIRC. She's saying that fat people shouldn't have access to clothes and so forth - but how would she have felt when she was forced to be naked?"

I believe what she actually said was that plus-sized clothes shouldn't be available in shops that sell 'normal' sized clothes, not that access to clothes should be denied to overweight people entirely.

Not that I'm agreeing with her!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's really interesting that she herself went through a large weight loss and used to be really quite overweight, IIRC. She's saying that fat people shouldn't have access to clothes and so forth - but how would she have felt when she was forced to be naked?

I believe what she actually said was that plus-sized clothes shouldn't be available in shops that sell 'normal' sized clothes, not that access to clothes should be denied to overweight people entirely.

Not that I'm agreeing with her!"

The woman clearly has no clue about economics or running a business - aside from anything else.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't think the issue is so much will it motivate people already obese to lose weight.

Instead it's whether having fashionable clothing designed specifically for those with an overweight body shape, and the subsequent appealing advertising etc. will encourage kids that it's ok to look that way.

I know there will be a load of "it is acceptable", "it's my body" etc. but if we're trying to promote a healthy lifestyle for kids - it isn't a positive image to encourage - or not to discourage - being overweight.

The bottom line whatever is that there will be more and more stuff marked at people who are fat because there's a 'growing market'

That can't be stopped, but culturally I think there should be something of a stigma about unhealthy habits - that includes smoking, drug abuse, over eating etc.

Reply privately

over a year ago

touched a nerve..."

And why not? She's completely right.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't think the issue is so much will it motivate people already obese to lose weight.

Instead it's whether having fashionable clothing designed specifically for those with an overweight body shape, and the subsequent appealing advertising etc. will encourage kids that it's ok to look that way.

I know there will be a load of "it is acceptable", "it's my body" etc. but if we're trying to promote a healthy lifestyle for kids - it isn't a positive image to encourage - or not to discourage - being overweight.

The bottom line whatever is that there will be more and more stuff marked at people who are fat because there's a 'growing market'

That can't be stopped, but culturally I think there should be something of a stigma about unhealthy habits - that includes smoking, drug abuse, over eating etc."

Shame and stigmatisation hasn't been working very well so far though. Regardless of a couple of specialised clothing lines or a few white knights on here, there IS a stigma attached to being overweight. I won't exercise in daylight because I got sick of people shouting abusive comments about my weight out of their car windows. I've had comments at the gym. Most high street shops stop at 18, or 16 if they're aimed at a younger audience. I get some small reminder every day that I'm not the way I should be, and I'm at the lower end of that so I can't imagine what people much larger come up against.

Obesity shouldn't be celebrated, but shaming and stigmatisation is not the way forward.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Thin people at target weight still can have high cholesterol or diabetes or bowel diseases."

yes they can - but they were not "man made"....Humans are not designed to be sedentary and so anyone that does not get out and exercise is going to have health problems - the human body is a dynamic system where every part of the body plays a part at supporting the rest - break the system down with poor nutrition (yes even 'thin" people can eat badly) lack of exercise and mental stimulation you will get problems.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Care of the elderly out costs everything (in and out of the NHS) and is growing - do we have a Logan's Run society to look forward to based on many of the logic applied in this thread

? "

You can't choose to not grow old but you can choose not to be fat.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Do mental health problems/eating disorders count as medical problems? Because they sure as hell play a part in both extremes a lot of the time. "

But given that 60% of the population is obease it's unlikely it's thw reason for the majority of cases. A small number of outlying cases yes.

But if it's the majority then the statistics for mental health problems are way out.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I do think governments everywhere should ban corn syrup though.

The increase in weight has links to the celebration of thin (you can never be too rich or too thin), often with manipulated images that are impossible to achieve. We have a proliferation of easily accessible sweet and ready to eat food and we are programmed to seek this out (fruit in gathering days). We walk less and have mechanised more. Portion sizes are larger and we want bigger (how many times have you heard that Curly Wurlies were bigger in the old days) as we feel we are being conned in some way if a smaller size is presented to us.

I'm fat. I know why I am fat. You telling me I should be ashamed of that and I should sort myself out will not lead to me becoming thinner. I know this because I was a size 8 when family started telling me I was a fatso.

I was most hopeful for my life and future when I was pregnant so I kept my pregnant shape.

My paternal grandmother was a weeble and I have her shape.

My depression and lupus have a link to my weight.

Lots of reasons. Not excuses (friends don't need them and enemies don't believe them). My issues for me to deal with but shaming me won't change that.

But I think we could go a long way by banning corn syrup.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Obesity shouldn't be celebrated, but shaming and stigmatisation is not the way forward. "

I don't think so either - our lifestyles need challenging and changing. We need more outdoor spaces safe for people of all ages to exercise. Going to the Gym shouldn't cost a fortune etc. etc.

But I think there has started to be a movement towards not just accepting fat people, but promoting it as a choice - and I think it's right to challenge that eg. not so much stigmatising fat people, but challenging those that seek to promote it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

And re the NHS - I'm sure obesity and eating disorders are costing lots , but I'm pretty sure that alcohol mis use costs it a hell of a lot too!

"

That's why we have such high tax on it.

Same with smoking except that as smoking is a purely health issue unlike alcohol which involves police etc as well smoking actually provides a net profit for the country as the tax intake is quite a few billion higher than the total broadest nhs cost estimates

Reply privately

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

"Oh goodie another weight debate.

It's really quite simple. If you are happy good on you. if you are not then do something about it.

However it is no one's place or right to judge other people.

Our society is so shallow. "

Is it shallow of our society to be concerned with the fact that the UK has the highest rate of childhood obesity in Western Europe...being obese isn't a lifestyle choice for them....do we ignore the fact that most will suffer ill health and possible lowered life expectancy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Obesity shouldn't be celebrated, but shaming and stigmatisation is not the way forward.

I don't think so either - our lifestyles need challenging and changing. We need more outdoor spaces safe for people of all ages to exercise. Going to the Gym shouldn't cost a fortune etc. etc.

But I think there has started to be a movement towards not just accepting fat people, but promoting it as a choice - and I think it's right to challenge that eg. not so much stigmatising fat people, but challenging those that seek to promote it."

Education is needed.

A lot more in schools but also to parents as the kids don't make thier own food.

One thing that crops up a lot is portion sizes a lot of kids with obease parents grow up thinking very large portions are the norm and even say "I eat hardly anything" when they're comparing it to thier family but when compared to others the amount is still excessive.

Perhaps a combined parent child nutritional/cooking class would be a very expensive hut hopefully beinifical option.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not against education - the more the better - but do people really need educating that being fat is bad for them? That eating shit and doing fuck all will make you fat?

I'm pretty sure I was taught that at school.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm not against education - the more the better - but do people really need educating that being fat is bad for them? That eating shit and doing fuck all will make you fat?

I'm pretty sure I was taught that at school."

Yes they do. Most say things like "ph I don't have time to cook" and "I thought this was healthy" or "I can't afford to eat healthy" all arw hillocks and can be solved by simply showing people.

We've got generations growing up who think cooking is opening up the packet and dumping it on a plate or a baking tray and into the oven or microwave.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We need more outdoor spaces safe for people of all ages to exercise."

This is the key point.

For instance the route that I enjoy running - which takes in a lovely park and a canalside path - has recently become unsafe for me. Two weeks ago a woman was raped in that park at 4.30 in the afternoon - broad daylight - just a few hundred yards from town and a major sports centre.

Making safe spaces that don't cost money to use is essential. Changing attitudes is tied up in that.

For instance this morning I was out on my run and an older guy said to me 'nice tits' as I ran past him. I didn't have my tits out, I was wearing a lycra tri-suit that goes almost to my neck. That route is no longer safe for me in case I encounter him again.

Without a huge attitude shift towards women in society we can't get people out on the streets exercising cheaply. I won't run after 7.30am or so in the morning because of the comments I get from car drivers. I can't run in the parks any longer. Where am I supposed to run?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Does anyone else find it weird when they hear someone order a Big Mac and fries and DIET ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Does anyone else find it weird when they hear someone order a Big Mac and fries and DIET ?? "

I prefer the taste of diet , it has a different type of sweetener in it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We need more outdoor spaces safe for people of all ages to exercise.

This is the key point.

For instance the route that I enjoy running - which takes in a lovely park and a canalside path - has recently become unsafe for me. Two weeks ago a woman was raped in that park at 4.30 in the afternoon - broad daylight - just a few hundred yards from town and a major sports centre.

Making safe spaces that don't cost money to use is essential. Changing attitudes is tied up in that.

For instance this morning I was out on my run and an older guy said to me 'nice tits' as I ran past him. I didn't have my tits out, I was wearing a lycra tri-suit that goes almost to my neck. That route is no longer safe for me in case I encounter him again.

Without a huge attitude shift towards women in society we can't get people out on the streets exercising cheaply. I won't run after 7.30am or so in the morning because of the comments I get from car drivers. I can't run in the parks any longer. Where am I supposed to run?"

I agree with all of this. The outdoor gym things are brilliant but there aren't enough of them.

As for wankers making comments they'll always exist. I've played sports all my life, it's been my job as well as a hobby and even I feel a dickhead sometimes when running about in public - I can understand why that's so much worse for a woman.

The group things being organised in parks seem to be becoming more popular, that may help.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But given that 60% of the population is obease it's unlikely it's thw reason for the majority of cases. A small number of outlying cases yes.

But if it's the majority then the statistics for mental health problems are way out."

Chemical imbalances are put in the same category as mental health problems,because they cause the brain to not work properly resulting in anxiety,depression,panic attacks and ocd. The medication for this is a catalyst for weight gain. They make you want to eat. Seratonin is mostly found in the stomach,it regulates your want for food. I went from nibbling on a biscuit and a few spoons of rice pudding a couple of times a day to drinking custard from the carton and drinking cans of with a mars bar twice a day. Previously to that I didn't eat much sweet stuff. I would crave chips with curry sauce,and shepherds pie. It was like a hunger I couldn't satiate. I was a fucking nightmare. I don't blame anyone for my weight gain and only I can get rid of it,but it's not simple like a lot of people think.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm not against education - the more the better - but do people really need educating that being fat is bad for them? That eating shit and doing fuck all will make you fat?

Yes they do. Most say things like "ph I don't have time to cook" and "I thought this was healthy" or "I can't afford to eat healthy" all arw hillocks and can be solved by simply showing people.

We've got generations growing up who think cooking is opening up the packet and dumping it on a plate or a baking tray and into the oven or microwave.

"

Definitely there should be more education on cooking from scratch. But those people saying those things - I'm not convinced education is their problem.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Can of worms you just opened.

Bloody ell, Yoda has joined Fab "

Haha

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I agree with all of this. The outdoor gym things are brilliant but there aren't enough of them.

As for wankers making comments they'll always exist. I've played sports all my life, it's been my job as well as a hobby and even I feel a dickhead sometimes when running about in public - I can understand why that's so much worse for a woman.

The group things being organised in parks seem to be becoming more popular, that may help."

The two outdoor gyms around here are used mostly by teenagers to sit around with their mates. They're not safe spaces for me to use. This was the same where I used to live as well - and I've always lived in quite nice places.

ParkRun is awesome, I volunteer for one as a photographer a fair bit. But once a week on a Saturday morning isn't enough to build good habits for people; the streets need to be safer the rest of the time too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Everybody body is different, trying to put people in a certain category isn't going to help. I don't eat well, smoke and hardly exercise but my weight is fine. Weight isn't always the best measure of health

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm a size 18/20 trying to make a change to this however I'm pretty sexy. If they stop selling clothes for me I'll just walk around naked.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But if it's the majority then the statistics for mental health problems are way out.

Chemical imbalances are put in the same category as mental health problems,because they cause the brain to not work properly resulting in anxiety,depression,panic attacks and ocd. The medication for this is a catalyst for weight gain. They make you want to eat. Seratonin is mostly found in the stomach,it regulates your want for food. I went from nibbling on a biscuit and a few spoons of rice pudding a couple of times a day to drinking custard from the carton and drinking cans of with a mars bar twice a day. Previously to that I didn't eat much sweet stuff. I would crave chips with curry sauce,and shepherds pie. It was like a hunger I couldn't satiate. I was a fucking nightmare. I don't blame anyone for my weight gain and only I can get rid of it,but it's not simple like a lot of people think. "

As someone who's been on olanzapine and mirtazapine for years I know they can make you hungry but it's just something you have to work around

Serotonins use in the digestive system though is mostly to cause muscle contractions to move food through the gut not to cause hunger.

Too much serotonin makes you vomit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm a size 18/20 trying to make a change to this however I'm pretty sexy. If they stop selling clothes for me I'll just walk around naked. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm a size 18/20 trying to make a change to this however I'm pretty sexy. If they stop selling clothes for me I'll just walk around naked. "

This is the strongest argument I've seen so far

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't know about you, but I always get my financial, political and health information from washed-up pop stars with no academic or professional experience or expertise.

So, thanks for sharing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Thin people at target weight still can have high cholesterol or diabetes or bowel diseases.

yes they can - but they were not "man made"....Humans are not designed to be sedentary and so anyone that does not get out and exercise is going to have health problems - the human body is a dynamic system where every part of the body plays a part at supporting the rest - break the system down with poor nutrition (yes even 'thin" people can eat badly) lack of exercise and mental stimulation you will get problems....."

There's 1000s of reasons why people are over and under weight we could wright a book about it and a lot to do with the mind. Some are happy big and that's how they see them self and some a size 6 love the look and happy. It's what's right for you at the end of the day . And if not you change it and you do it for you not others .. I think people saying you should be this size that size just make people feel a out cast if they don't fit in and get there backs up as it's a life's choice and there life. NHS is not going under because of peoples weight it's loads of things like over seas people coming here and us giving them free Heath care ..

Reply privately

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"Does anyone else find it weird when they hear someone order a Big Mac and fries and DIET ?? "

I always order diet ...as I can't stand full fat !

Reply privately

over a year ago

"NHS is not going under because of peoples weight it's loads of things like over seas people coming here and us giving them free Heath care .."

I disagree. The scale of obesity in this country is going to put the NHS under a huge amount of pressure in the near future.

Over half our population are overweight and I think it's the case that this is increasing with youth?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think folks are masters of their own universe

different strokes for different folks?

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's not just lack of education. There IS a mental health link. I'm an intelligent woman. I know how to cook, I know what food is good and bad. I know the effect on my health of being overweight. But when I was at university and other times of stress I would sit and eat and eat until I was sick, because it was a way I felt in control of my body and felt like I was regaining control of a situation. I wasnt eating for pleasure or greed or enjoyment, it was a way of punishing myself.

But as I put on weight I felt more and more unhappy, compounded by the fact I couldn't shop in Topshop or whatever like my friends. Of course I hated myself for it, and my body still bears the effects of that because it would be followed up with crash dieting to desperately try to lose it again.

It is similar to anorexia, which is not just about weight but about control, and self harm as I said above.

I used to blog with a relatively wide following. I wrote about this once and until I took it down, I had hundreds, probably thousands over a couple of years, of heart wrenching emails from young women, usually intelligent, perfectionist, high achieving types, who felt the same, and who hated themselves for it. If they were anorexic they'd probably be whisked away for psychological help. Because their problem was overeating they are shamed and called fat, lazy, stupid and a drain on society.

No, not everyone who is obese has mental health problems. But in my experience a big percentage of cases involve emotional triggers.

Nobody makes themselves fat for the fun of it. Nobody makes themselves fat because a few bloggers are happy with themselves or because a few people set up some plus size clothing ranges that aren't totally hideous.

Shaming anybody for their size, fat or thin, is NOT the way to motivate them to improve their choices.

Reply privately

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

"Thin people at target weight still can have high cholesterol or diabetes or bowel diseases.

yes they can - but they were not "man made"....Humans are not designed to be sedentary and so anyone that does not get out and exercise is going to have health problems - the human body is a dynamic system where every part of the body plays a part at supporting the rest - break the system down with poor nutrition (yes even 'thin" people can eat badly) lack of exercise and mental stimulation you will get problems..... There's 1000s of reasons why people are over and under weight we could wright a book about it and a lot to do with the mind. Some are happy big and that's how they see them self and some a size 6 love the look and happy. It's what's right for you at the end of the day . And if not you change it and you do it for you not others .. I think people saying you should be this size that size just make people feel a out cast if they don't fit in and get there backs up as it's a life's choice and there life. NHS is not going under because of peoples weight it's loads of things like over seas people coming here and us giving them free Heath care .."

Unfortunately it's not a life choice for the high levels of obese children in the UK...diet based diseases cost the NHS £4.2bn per annum...demonising people won't solve the problem, neither will burying our heads in the sand if hopefully we care about the health of children in the UK.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's not just lack of education. There IS a mental health link. I'm an intelligent woman. I know how to cook, I know what food is good and bad. I know the effect on my health of being overweight. But when I was at university and other times of stress I would sit and eat and eat until I was sick, because it was a way I felt in control of my body and felt like I was regaining control of a situation. I wasnt eating for pleasure or greed or enjoyment, it was a way of punishing myself.

But as I put on weight I felt more and more unhappy, compounded by the fact I couldn't shop in Topshop or whatever like my friends. Of course I hated myself for it, and my body still bears the effects of that because it would be followed up with crash dieting to desperately try to lose it again.

It is similar to anorexia, which is not just about weight but about control, and self harm as I said above.

I used to blog with a relatively wide following. I wrote about this once and until I took it down, I had hundreds, probably thousands over a couple of years, of heart wrenching emails from young women, usually intelligent, perfectionist, high achieving types, who felt the same, and who hated themselves for it. If they were anorexic they'd probably be whisked away for psychological help. Because their problem was overeating they are shamed and called fat, lazy, stupid and a drain on society.

No, not everyone who is obese has mental health problems. But in my experience a big percentage of cases involve emotional triggers.

Nobody makes themselves fat for the fun of it. Nobody makes themselves fat because a few bloggers are happy with themselves or because a few people set up some plus size clothing ranges that aren't totally hideous.

Shaming anybody for their size, fat or thin, is NOT the way to motivate them to improve their choices. "

Hugs sent your way. x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"NHS is not going under because of peoples weight it's loads of things like over seas people coming here and us giving them free Heath care ..

I disagree. The scale of obesity in this country is going to put the NHS under a huge amount of pressure in the near future.

Over half our population are overweight and I think it's the case that this is increasing with youth?"

. Not just over weight people A lot living longer and mental health is a very big things now as costing loads .. People have been over weight years here in the uk .. 16 plus was normal in my grans day .

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We need more outdoor spaces safe for people of all ages to exercise.

This is the key point.

Without a huge attitude shift towards women in society we can't get people out on the streets exercising cheaply. I won't run after 7.30am or so in the morning because of the comments I get from car drivers. I can't run in the parks any longer. Where am I supposed to run?"

any runner gets comments.

so what? had it for 30 years,but still run. teen girls were the worst.

your anti-men agenda is tragic

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Hugs sent your way. x"

Thanks....I don't need them anymore but I'm sure there's young men and women still struggling with this kind of thing who need a bit of understanding and help, not told to just eat less and move more

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

After years of battling an eating disorder I really do still wonder.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"It's not just lack of education. There IS a mental health link. I'm an intelligent woman. I know how to cook, I know what food is good and bad. I know the effect on my health of being overweight. But when I was at university and other times of stress I would sit and eat and eat until I was sick, because it was a way I felt in control of my body and felt like I was regaining control of a situation. I wasnt eating for pleasure or greed or enjoyment, it was a way of punishing myself.

Shaming anybody for their size, fat or thin, is NOT the way to motivate them to improve their choices. "

Reply privately

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

"NHS is not going under because of peoples weight it's loads of things like over seas people coming here and us giving them free Heath care ..

Over half our population are overweight and I think it's the case that this is increasing with youth? . Not just over weight people A lot living longer and mental health is a very big things now as costing loads .. People have been over weight years here in the uk .. 16 plus was normal in my grans day ."

That is simply not true, there might have been 16 plus grans, but not people in their 20's..30's and 40's..

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

I spent years being made to feel like shit for being overweight I was bullied to the point I tried to take my own life. I spent years battling an eating disorder and drug addiction. I will be damned if some celebrity or strangers on a swinging site will make me feel shit for being a plus size confident woman..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Over half our population are overweight and I think it's the case that this is increasing with youth? . Not just over weight people A lot living longer and mental health is a very big things now as costing loads .. People have been over weight years here in the uk .. 16 plus was normal in my grans day .

That is simply not true, there might have been 16 plus grans, but not people in their 20's..30's and 40's.."

You misunderstood,her gran's day,meaning when her gran was young.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If I had a pool in my house I would swim every day. I just need enough money to install and run one

Reply privately

over a year ago

She's correct in what she's saying. Whether it was correct to voice it? Now that's open to debate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I spent years being made to feel like shit for being overweight I was bullied to the point I tried to take my own life. I spent years battling an eating disorder and drug addiction. I will be damned if some celebrity or strangers on a swinging site will make me feel shit for being a plus size confident woman.."

Amen to that. As a big and confident man, I can relate to your comment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In the interests of balance, I don't think she was correct about below size 8 either. I have a few friends who are size 6 and perfectly healthy, they are both just small people. 5 ft and 5'2, small feet, small hands, small frame. Yes it's not that common, but it still exists.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Over half our population are overweight and I think it's the case that this is increasing with youth? . Not just over weight people A lot living longer and mental health is a very big things now as costing loads .. People have been over weight years here in the uk .. 16 plus was normal in my grans day .

That is simply not true, there might have been 16 plus grans, but not people in their 20's..30's and 40's.."

yes maybe more younger people but not a new thing it's just more in the news as diets and size a big deal now. And the fast foods .. Maybe they should ban the big meal deals and others things to help ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

One phrase comes to mind -

Live and let live

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I had a pool in my house I would swim every day. I just need enough money to install and run one "
in my gran s day most worked hard and would eat well but most over a size 16 it was normal it was how a woman looked .

Reply privately

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

That is simply not true, there might have been 16 plus grans, but not people in their 20's..30's and 40's..

You misunderstood,her gran's day,meaning when her gran was young. "

I didn't misunderstand, obesity rates 1n the UK in 1970 were 14% they are now over 30%.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well see, Jamelia is a fucking dickhead idiot celebrity with a dickhead opinion.

Here's why...

I haven't seen the program but people ASS-ume that if they think they know the solution to a problem THEY DO NOT HAVE, THEY have conquered the problem and you **should** no longer have it because they ASS-ume their solution is, in fact, the solution to the problem.

And that's bullshit.

She isn't a size 20, she has no idea.

My sister was anorexic, and similar comments equally piss me off.

Reply privately

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

"One phrase comes to mind -

Live and let live"

And for our obese children

Live and let die

Reply privately

over a year ago

I didn't misunderstand, obesity rates 1n the UK in 1970 were 14% they are now over 30%."

maybe there sizes changed to what was normal . All I know years ago sizes was looked at very different then now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Jamelia is an absolute moron, not just this subject but every topic on loose women, when she gives her views I feel so sorry for her children because that is what's teaching them! Her kids are home schooled, doomed if she does the teaching!

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

I'm pretty sure I was taught that at school."

So while you were being educated then

Reply privately

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

The country is fatter because we dont have to do as many physical things as we used to. Acknowledging that is the first step in doing something about it. I was in Chams once listening to two women talking about their respective weights and one declared that she had a thyroid problem - whilst tucking in to a plate of chips.

It may not be a good idea to shame people because of their size but by the same token it is also not a good idea to promote or celebrate under and overweight people. It appears that something is finally going to be done about underweight models and that is a good thing. However, the reverse should not happen and this be an excuse to celebrate being overweight.

As others have mentioned, obesity has the potential to bankrupt the NHS. Foreigners, smokers and boozers don't even scratch the surface of the potential diabetes time bomb that is just down the track. This is an example of a lifestyle change that we can all do to protect the NHS from ourselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I had a pool in my house I would swim every day. I just need enough money to install and run one in my gran s day most worked hard and would eat well but most over a size 16 it was normal it was how a woman looked ."

Did you just rewrite history?!

We are not getting thinner - we're getting fatter. I can see that with my own eyes over the past 30+ years!

Reply privately

over a year ago

So while you were being educated then "

You kind of made my point for me - those same kids getting the same education as me but nonetheless getting fat or allowing their kids to become fat - didn't seem to have an impact on them.

It needs more than education.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am a size 12/14 and still made to feel big at times ..I was bigger years ago when I had kids I felt ok more sexy when I was a size 18 if I tell the truth was others who made me feel bad as would get still loads of offers at clubs and here and woman who was slim would bitch about my weight to get at me .. So I maybe a person no matter how small I get I still feel big.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Shaming anybody for their size, fat or thin, is NOT the way to motivate them to improve their choices.

The country is fatter because we dont have to do as many physical things as we used to. Acknowledging that is the first step in doing something about it. I was in Chams once listening to two women talking about their respective weights and one declared that she had a thyroid problem - whilst tucking in to a plate of chips.

It may not be a good idea to shame people because of their size but by the same token it is also not a good idea to promote or celebrate under and overweight people. It appears that something is finally going to be done about underweight models and that is a good thing. However, the reverse should not happen and this be an excuse to celebrate being overweight.

As others have mentioned, obesity has the potential to bankrupt the NHS. Foreigners, smokers and boozers don't even scratch the surface of the potential diabetes time bomb that is just down the track. This is an example of a lifestyle change that we can all do to protect the NHS from ourselves."

I'm not sure if you actually read my post, but nowhere have I suggested there isn't a problem, or that it's because of thyroids etc. Yes people get fat because they eat too much of the wrong thing and do not do enough exercise. My point is WHY do they choose to do that?

I'm just suggesting that maybe the problem is more complicated and more tied up with emotional and mental health than is being suggested here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jamelia is an absolute moron, not just this subject but every topic on loose women, when she gives her views I feel so sorry for her children because that is what's teaching them! Her kids are home schooled, doomed if she does the teaching!

"

I think it's her way or the high way .lol so her kids may put up with it all until they come of age .

Reply privately

over a year ago

As others have mentioned, obesity has the potential to bankrupt the NHS. Foreigners, smokers and boozers don't even scratch the surface of the potential diabetes time bomb that is just down the track. This is an example of a lifestyle change that we can all do to protect the NHS from ourselves.

I'm not sure if you actually read my post, but nowhere have I suggested there isn't a problem, or that it's because of thyroids etc. Yes people get fat because they eat too much of the wrong thing and do not do enough exercise. My point is WHY do they choose to do that?

I'm just suggesting that maybe the problem is more complicated and more tied up with emotional and mental health than is being suggested here. "

Cause people are lazy and don't really want to change or put effort in.

60% of the population isn't mentally ill.

Reply privately

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

I didn't misunderstand, obesity rates 1n the UK in 1970 were 14% they are now over 30%. maybe there sizes changed to what was normal . All I know years ago sizes was looked at very different then now."

Obesity is not measured on size of clothes. All the medical statistical data since WW2 in the UK shows a steady rise in obesity until the 1970's and then a steeper curve leading up to the present day. It serves no purpose to deny the evidence especially where the health of our children is concerned.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Cause people are lazy and don't really want to change or put effort in.

60% of the population isn't mentally ill."

But what about the ones who are, you're just going to tell them they're lazy? What percentage of the population does have emotional or mental health issues - how do you know what that is?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone want to share my fish n chips ? Pull up a chair

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Anyone want to share my fish n chips ? Pull up a chair "

I'd love one, but I'd hate to accidentally bankrupt the NHS...

Reply privately