Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rich vs Poor

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Always a lot of debate on here about those who are rich and those who are poor. But how do you define both? I suspect the answer will very much depend on your own personal circumstances and perceptions.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I have worked hard for what I have, I work now for the future...

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Always a lot of debate on here about those who are rich and those who are poor. But how do you define both? I suspect the answer will very much depend on your own personal circumstances and perceptions."

It's all relative. No matter what the definition.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

People can't be defined by money

over a year ago

There are people in this world who cling to existence , they have no possessions, no home, no money , no food , no safe water, no sanctuary from fear and suffering....

over a year ago

I prefer the security and happiness of my family, as long as I have a roof over my families head and a meal on the table I'm happy.

over a year ago

We are happy with what we have - we're not rich but we're not poor, money isn't the be all and end all to us.

By *ummersun99Woman
over a year ago

North Yorkshire by the Sea

I think our attitude and environment will Definitely our perception of how rich or poor we are. Some would say 'oh I'm broke' when they have their last £50 - £20 - £1 in bank days before their next pay day.

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

"Always a lot of debate on here about those who are rich and those who are poor. But how do you define both? I suspect the answer will very much depend on your own personal circumstances and perceptions."

We work hard and have made a fair few sacrifices for what we have. We're certainly not rich but we're not poor either.

By *abrina59TV/TS
over a year ago

submissive land

You may he poor in money terms but can be rich in family & friends or in health

As been said all relative

over a year ago

We are comfortable , not rich nor poor .

All we have is the fruit of of our labour .

No mortgage , 2 cars , nice home in the country and no debt .

We claim no benefits .

But above all we are happy .

And that alone makes us feel rich

over a year ago

Poor people can't afford all the basic comforts in life like a home, utilities and food.

Rich can afford luxuries as well as the comforts.

Personal liability and the cost of things can be taken into account as well, say someone with a mansion couldn't afford it but were on £1000s a week then they aren't actually poor.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Richer people have more money than me, poorer people have less money than me. That's about it really.

over a year ago

"There are people in this world who cling to existence , they have no possessions, no home, no money , no food , no safe water, no sanctuary from fear and suffering.... "

When you see pictures from around the world, you can see that this is real poverty in a true economic sense. Can anyone in the UK really claim to be poor in the same sense?

over a year ago

I'm definitely not what I would consider rich, to be rich would mean having enough money to never have to work again. I'd have a koenigsegg agera r in my garage for a start.

over a year ago

"I'm definitely not what I would consider rich, to be rich would mean having enough money to never have to work again. I'd have a koenigsegg agera r in my garage for a start. "

Sexy car! But if you had enough money to never work again, would you work again?

over a year ago

We are financially very far from being rich.

Both work full time.

Big mortgage, which will mean that we both going to have to work till we are 70.

Always worked, car that's 15 year's old, can't afford a holiday for ay least last 5year.

However, bills are paid, food on table, have phone's, broadband etc..

We exist.

In lots of people's eyes we are rich in others poor.

One months missed salary would mean financial ruin.

But

We are deeply in love, healthy, have amazing kid's and grandchildren.

We are happy.

We have friends with money and they are miserable fuckers, ironically always complaining about money.

I see people far worse off than us daily, so realise that there is always someone worse off.

Now please fab our pic's

over a year ago

I have friends who are on the rich list and I've worked with people in one of the poorest parts of the world. I wouldn't swap with either but have had good times with both.

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

Money doesn't make you rich and happy

Having no money doesn't always make you poor and sad

I'm happy to wake up each day

What's in the bank makes no difference to my quality of life at all

over a year ago

We are considerably richer than yow

over a year ago

£1 buys a bag of tangtastics = Happy Tosh

over a year ago

Interesting to see most comments not necessarily focusing on money in respect of what determines whether you are rich or poor. Yet when the discussions on here are about tax, benefits, society etc the terms rich/poor are used regularly.

By *anchestercubMan
over a year ago

manchester & NI

Money doesn't make you happy but it certainly buys you more options that could lead to happiness.

over a year ago

"I'm definitely not what I would consider rich, to be rich would mean having enough money to never have to work again. I'd have a koenigsegg agera r in my garage for a start.

Sexy car! But if you had enough money to never work again, would you work again?"

Nope! I'd do the school run looking fantastic instead of looking like a zombie sometimes after I've done a 10 hour shift 10pm till 8am, my mum stays in my house and she dresses my daughter then I take her to school, come home and sleep!

I'd want millions and millions, would have a reasonable size house but a massive underground garage with an orgasmic fleet of supercars!

over a year ago

West Midlands

"Money doesn't make you happy but it certainly buys you more options that could lead to happiness. "

Tell that to Princess Diana

over a year ago

West Midlands

"Money doesn't make you happy but it certainly buys you more options that could lead to happiness.

Tell that to Princess Diana "

Ok her family

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/04/15 22:18:41]

over a year ago

I'm neither, I'm comfortable enough to not have to worry about money, but not rich enough to pack up work

By *anchestercubMan
over a year ago

manchester & NI

"Money doesn't make you happy but it certainly buys you more options that could lead to happiness.

Ok her family "

She seemed much happier after her £17m divorce settlement.

By *artytwoCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"

I prefer the security and happiness of my family, as long as I have a roof over my families head and a meal on the table I'm happy."

Whoops, have you just 'outed' yourself as a married man? or would this be referring to your extended family that you support lol

over a year ago

West Midlands

Ok her family

She seemed much happier after her £17m divorce settlement. "

Because she was getting some cock lol

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil."

"... He that wants money, means and content, is without three good friends that the property of rain is to wet and fire to burn that good pasture makes fat sheep, and a great cause of the night is lack of the sun that he that hath learned no wit by nature nor art may complain of good breeding or comes of a very dull kindred."

It should never be rich vs poor - that's a fallacious argument before you even start to unpick what it means to be rich or poor.

I have been very poor, I have been very comfortable (rich by some standards)in monetary terms. I am now neither of these things but I have all that I need, all that I want and more and I am loved by the people who matter to me.

My comfort means I am able and happy to help others but I know I can't help everyone. I make choices.

By *anchestercubMan
over a year ago

manchester & NI

Ok her family

Because she was getting some cock lol "

And lots of it!

over a year ago

"

I prefer the security and happiness of my family, as long as I have a roof over my families head and a meal on the table I'm happy.

Whoops, have you just 'outed' yourself as a married man? or would this be referring to your extended family that you support lol"

I take it you haven't read his profile

over a year ago

"Always a lot of debate on here about those who are rich and those who are poor. But how do you define both? I suspect the answer will very much depend on your own personal circumstances and perceptions.

It's all relative. No matter what the definition. "

By *uicylucy76Woman
over a year ago

thornton cleveleys

Money might not buy you happiness but I'd rather be sad in a porche than on a bicycle!

over a year ago

"Money might not buy you happiness but I'd rather be sad in a porche than on a bicycle!"

Some porches are very draughty tho

over a year ago

People say money don't buy you happiness but surely not having to worry about how you are going to feed you kids and pay you bills makes for a happier family than one living in poverty

over a year ago

"People say money don't buy you happiness but surely not having to worry about how you are going to feed you kids and pay you bills makes for a happier family than one living in poverty "

Definitely, but that's being comfortable. Proper wealth has its own problems - though I'd take those problems over poverty any day.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"People say money don't buy you happiness but surely not having to worry about how you are going to feed you kids and pay you bills makes for a happier family than one living in poverty "

Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. Deal with those and you can be happy.

I have met some very, very rich people who have been sad and lonely because they think everyone is after their money. Instead of using it to make life happier they seem to hoard it to make life poorer.

By *remiumChocolate_milkMan
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

You know, in other countries, people aren't desperate to have a mortgage like they are here...

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

money makes money ive always been skint

By *lligator3Man
over a year ago

Dundee

[Removed by poster at 23/04/15 23:01:12]

By *lligator3Man
over a year ago

Dundee

"It's interesting how happiness wasn't mentioned in the OPs question (although understandable why it's been brought up)

I think how to distinguish is working and struggling to afford basic goods be it food/rent/heat and light for home.

Anything above that does not define rich as there is a massive bit inbetween where people have X amount of disposable income for luxuries."

Meant to add happiness is a completely diff question to the ops one.

By *appyguy17Man
over a year ago

walthamstow

I've just come back from South America..and i now have a new definition of poverty........we are so lucky...even you whingey people !!!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"money makes money ive always been skint"

Have you seen the film The Million Pound Note (Man With a Million)? I'm always amazed that the very monetarily wealthy get given lots of things absolutely free.

When the very monetarily poor are given things for free it's charity or scrounging.

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"money makes money ive always been skint

Have you seen the film The Million Pound Note (Man With a Million)? I'm always amazed that the very monetarily wealthy get given lots of things absolutely free.

When the very monetarily poor are given things for free it's charity or scrounging."

ive seen the film .. knowing my luck they would take it

over a year ago

West Midlands

Ok her family

Because she was getting some cock lol

And lots of it! "

Good

over a year ago

"I've just come back from South America..and i now have a new definition of poverty........we are so lucky...even you whingey people !!!"

Total Bollox..Having no roof over your Head and no Food is the same whatever Continent you live in..Or is this a look at me i can afford to go abroad post.

Gimp

By *appyguy17Man
over a year ago

walthamstow

Definitely 2 sets of rules....

I'm an economic migrant here....i came to England to get a better standard of life.........

Just because people live in another Continent......doesn't mean they are not entitled to live a reasonable life like the rest of us.........

over a year ago

"I've just come back from South America..and i now have a new definition of poverty........we are so lucky...even you whingey people !!!

Total Bollox..Having no roof over your Head and no Food is the same whatever Continent you live in..Or is this a look at me i can afford to go abroad post.

Gimp"

It's not total bollox to be in that situation in a country with no welfare state, sanitation etc.

over a year ago

ive not got a pot to piss in,but my health is good and so is my families,so you can stick money where the sun dont shine.It was sunny today,thats all i need to make me smile.

over a year ago

"Definitely 2 sets of rules....

I'm an economic migrant here....i came to England to get a better standard of life.........

Just because people live in another Continent......doesn't mean they are not entitled to live a reasonable life like the rest of us........."

Only one set of rules here..Me and mine come first and i worry about other continents if and when i dont have to worry where the next Meal is coming from

Gimp

over a year ago

"I've just come back from South America..and i now have a new definition of poverty........we are so lucky...even you whingey people !!!

Gimp

It's not total bollox to be in that situation in a country with no welfare state, sanitation etc.

"

Of course it is, It doesnt matter what Country you are in if you dont have the price of a Meal for your Family you go Hungry

over a year ago

Gimp

Of course it is, It doesnt matter what Country you are in if you dont have the price of a Meal for your Family you go Hungry"

erm except you don't die of starvation in this country.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/04/15 23:46:13]

over a year ago

Gimp

Of course it is, It doesnt matter what Country you are in if you dont have the price of a Meal for your Family you go Hungry

erm except you don't die of starvation in this country.

"

The original post was about Rich V Poor and i stand by my comment, I do not give a fuck about other Countries problems when i cannot feed my Kids.

Ok if you would rather give to a foreign aid programme and see your own Kiddies go hungry i will respect that but for me my Family will always come first.

Selfish Gimp

over a year ago

"The original post was about Rich V Poor and i stand by my comment, I do not give a fuck about other Countries problems when i cannot feed my Kids.

Ok if you would rather give to a foreign aid programme and see your own Kiddies go hungry i will respect that but for me my Family will always come first.

Selfish Gimp"

I think the same except that I do give a fuck about kids in other countries. But my own come first.

I don't give anything to foreign aid. I get off my arse and try to be useful by helping directly. I think I'm fortunate to have been born here. In another country I doubt I'd have made it to adulthood.

over a year ago

Money cannot buy love or happiness. Just makes life more comfortable.

over a year ago

"The original post was about Rich V Poor and i stand by my comment, I do not give a fuck about other Countries problems when i cannot feed my Kids.

Selfish Gimp

I think the same except that I do give a fuck about kids in other countries. But my own come first.

I don't give anything to foreign aid. I get off my arse and try to be useful by helping directly. I think I'm fortunate to have been born here. In another country I doubt I'd have made it to adulthood.

"

Obviously you are lucky enough to be able to go there and help directly,I would never Knock that in fact the opposite, Im just saying for me mine come first and if there's no food in the House the last thing im thinking of is others, Not what most people seem to want to hear but hey ho

Gimp

By *rivingforceMan
over a year ago

yorkshire

What's money?

over a year ago

"Money cannot buy love or happiness. Just makes life more comfortable. "

Really?I always thought that it was those with Money who thought that, Those with empty pockets are rarely Happy

over a year ago

I am always happy. I have a lovely family. Gorgeous kids and a good job x

over a year ago

"Money cannot buy love or happiness. Just makes life more comfortable.

Really?I always thought that it was those with Money who thought that, Those with empty pockets are rarely Happy"

bollocks! I'm skint and can't stop crying av 1ltr of white lighting left and i'm smoking asda tea bags dnt tell me that's happy! I will jump!

over a year ago

Really?I always thought that it was those with Money who thought that, Those with empty pockets are rarely Happybollocks! I'm skint and can't stop crying av 1ltr of white lighting left and i'm smoking asda tea bags dnt tell me that's happy! I will jump! "

over a year ago

"I am always happy. I have a lovely family. Gorgeous kids and a good job x "

As i said..You have a good job, Not everyones that lucky some..In fact quite a few worry day to day how they are going to put electric/ Gas on and give their kids a Dinner

over a year ago

Being poor in this country is very different - the pressures of paying bills, debt, stigma etc. is quite different to places with absolute poverty but where you can be surprised at how happy people are. But then also shocked when you learn the reality of their lives.

over a year ago

"I am always happy. I have a lovely family. Gorgeous kids and a good job x

As i said..You have a good job, Not everyones that lucky some..In fact quite a few worry day to day how they are going to put electric/ Gas on and give their kids a Dinner"

20p left on emergency electric! Can u refreeze icepops?

over a year ago

Really?I always thought that it was those with Money who thought that, Those with empty pockets are rarely Happy"

I can honestly say some of my happiest memories involve being skint...people giving me furniture for my first flat, appreciating a plate of pasta with a tin of 7p benefit beans over the top, getting lifts here and there, not wanting to go down the pub but being dragged along and not having to put my hand in my pocket all night, they all make me smile now just typing it (or is it rose tinted glasses?).

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

The difference between Rich and Poor is deciding what you need and want.

For example: Do you need or want a 42" Sony TV?

over a year ago

Perception has nothing to do with it. Rich people have excess financial wealth and poor people struggle to get by on there income. I hope that has cleared that up for you.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

How are you defining 'Rich and Poor' OP?

I have never been wealthy, however I have travelled to places others would only dream about and have met people whom you wouldn't meet ordinarily.

My life, I consider rich beyond any monetary value.

over a year ago

I have been wealthy and I have been extremely poor.

These are the things I noticed from both sides.

Wealthy - you have much more choices. Where to go and eat dinner can become a big argument between a couple. You feel the need to spend. So you buy stuff you don't need and in bulk. Like 10 suits at one time. 10 Chanel handbags , 5 watches. Your interactions with people also change. You're the most beautiful/handsome person. All your jokes are funny , You throw the best party's. And you are the greatest person on earth. Now everyone will tell you this, just so they can mooch off you. Nothing is free anymore. You're expected to pick up every bar/restaurant bill. THEN YOU CONSTANTLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE TAX MAN. Taxes , taxes, taxes. But the good part about being wealthy is............ You can do anything you want at anytime.

Being poor you have less choices and you work harder in life. But you learn to share and you can find true love.

One is not better than the other. But I have to say being wealthy does mean a person is smart, and being poor doesn't mean a person is not intelligent.

over a year ago

I am very happy and rich . Rich as I have a lovely wife of 30 years , 3 good kids who are settled with there partners and three lovely grandchildren . Who needs loads of money and expensive items is cars clothes etc , it doesn't mean your happy or ever will be . I got paid today and by Tuesday when all the bills go out I'll be skint but with the above I'm happy

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.......

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I used to earn a very good income. Now I don't.

I can easily tell the difference and I know which situation I preferred.

over a year ago

"How are you defining 'Rich and Poor' OP?

I have never been wealthy, however I have travelled to places others would only dream about and have met people whom you wouldn't meet ordinarily.

My life, I consider rich beyond any monetary value."

I was waiting for someone to ask me. I was originally thinking in the context of the statements about "the rich must be taxed more and contribute more" which are being wheeled out in the election, but no one defines what that means, or what poor means, it is a very grey area and a very divisive set of terms used by politicians without boundaries.

In the same way that other contributors to the thread have mentioned, I have met some fabulously wealthy people (hundreds of millions) who I consider poor in so many respects, and I have met people at the other end of the spectrum who are rich in so many other respects.

But if I were to try and put a number on it, I would suspect that I would consider someone to be "rich" if they have no debt, no mortgage, and their earnings consistently exceed their outgoings such that they consistently grow their wealth.

I would suggest that the opposite would apply to a definition of poor, that is someone who does have debts and whose outgoings exceed their income (excluding what some might call luxury items like Skysports, holidays etc) such that they are increasing their debt burden each month rather than growing their wealth.

It is definitely overly simplistic and certainly only a monetary definition (and I agree that one cannot be determined by how much money you have), but it is the best I can do for now but I will certainly think more on it!

over a year ago

I'm fairly cash rich but asset poor. I don't own anything of value, have less than 20% equity in my house and a fee quid in an ISA.

Also I only have the disposable income I do partly because of where I lived. Earning the same salary in London I doubt I'd feel it. I've had a few friends leave London in the last few years because they work hard and have decent salaries but are sick of having no disposable income so they've upped sticks for cities like Leeds and Manchester.

I think our perception of rich has been skewed by the super rich. In the context of the average income in the world, on a centile basis, yes I'm rich. But I still have to go to work and I don't have access to a yacht.

over a year ago

Depends on how we define richness is it purely monetary.

I used to work very hard and earn a great deal of money life was good.

I now have family and my life changed immeasurably the realisation you have new responsibilities and the love that is priceless. So I consider myself truly blessed and immeasurably wealthy in a life sense.

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

. Money does not make your happier but it does give you control over your life and what you do. What makes the difference is your attitude to money and how you use it . Having good health is the most important factor of all.

over a year ago

"I have been wealthy and I have been extremely poor.

Wealthy - you have much more choices. Where to go and eat dinner can become a big argument between a couple. You feel the need to spend. So you buy stuff you don't need and in bulk. Like 10 suits at one time. 10 Chanel handbags , 5 watches. Your interactions with people also change. You're the most beautiful/handsome person. All your jokes are funny , You throw the best party's. And you are the greatest person on earth. Now everyone will tell you this, just so they can mooch off you. Nothing is free anymore. You're expected to pick up every bar/restaurant bill. THEN YOU CONSTANTLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE TAX MAN. Taxes , taxes, taxes. But the good part about being wealthy is............ You can do anything you want at anytime.

Being poor you have less choices and you work harder in life. But you learn to share and you can find true love.

One is not better than the other. But I have to say being wealthy does mean a person is smart, and being poor doesn't mean a person is not intelligent.

"

Your final sentence does remind me of the saying, "a fool and their money are easily parted"

over a year ago

Most rich people would have accountants to sort their tax. I don't agree that the poor work harder either.

By *ercy the Park KeeperMan
over a year ago

Chester

Rich and poor doesn't have to be defined in monetary values for me.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

Rich have money left at the end of the week

Poor have week left at the end of the money

over a year ago

"Always a lot of debate on here about those who are rich and those who are poor. But how do you define both? I suspect the answer will very much depend on your own personal circumstances and perceptions.

Rich and poor doesn't have to be defined in monetary values for me."

I don't think so either, but when the terms are used as political capital without definition it can be divisive.

over a year ago

"I have been wealthy and I have been extremely poor.

"

I actually spent less on items when i was richer. Didn't feel the need to have possessions any more because we could afford to go out and had days out instead and created good memories, loved the choices we had though, we really could do whatever we wanted when we wanted and did that. My hoarding stopped as well because i didn't need to keep things in case i couldn't afford to buy or replace something later. And the best thing was i could put the heating on whenever i wanted to.

Life is definitely 100% better without financial stress.

Post new Message to Thread