Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Food shopping

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Tesco made a loss of £6.4bn

Seems that no one wants to go out of town anymore, as the decline in the value of its property portfolio comes as a direct result of falling footfall in many of its out of town superstores.

Add into the mix what Giles Coren said on tv last night that the middle classes are doing a big shop online and then popping into the High Street for odds on sods. And what the middle class do now, the great unwashed do later on.

So is the High Street back or is everyone else buggering off to Aldi/Lidl?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tescos share price went up. Go figure

over a year ago

"Tesco made a loss of £6.4bn

Seems that no one wants to go out of town anymore, as the decline in the value of its property portfolio comes as a direct result of falling footfall in many of its out of town superstores.

Add into the mix what Giles Coren said on tv last night that the middle classes are doing a big shop online and then popping into the High Street for odds on sods. And what the middle class do now, the great unwashed do later on.

So is the High Street back or is everyone else buggering off to Aldi/Lidl?"

I'm an Aldi / lidl girl

over a year ago

"Tescos share price went up. Go figure"

My dad will be pleased! :£

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm an Aldi / lidl girl "

Me too. I get sensory overload in shops like Tesco now .

over a year ago

Dare I say I work for Tesco and it worries me about my job

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I mainly shop at Aldi and manage to save quite a bit over the month not developed webbed feet yet, lol

over a year ago

I tend to use what's closest, and open when I want to go there, for ease and convenience. That used to mean a combination of Aldi for basics and Waitrose for anything I couldn't get at Aldi, then I moved house and am near a big Sainsbury's, so I use that with a little bit of Co-op and High Street independents thrown in. I'd like to use the High Street more to be honest but the opening hours are not very helpful.

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

" I'd like to use the High Street more to be honest but the opening hours are not very helpful."

The fishmonger on that prog was open till 730, and said 40% of his trade was after 4pm

over a year ago

I'm an Aldi / lidl girl

Me too. I get sensory overload in shops like Tesco now ."

I don't find yes I a pleasurable shopping trip at all

over a year ago

" I'd like to use the High Street more to be honest but the opening hours are not very helpful.

The fishmonger on that prog was open till 730, and said 40% of his trade was after 4pm"

yes I saw that! my local butcher is closed before I get home from work and only opens until 12.OO on Saturdays. So although he sells really good stuff, he rarely gets my trade

over a year ago

And most boring topic of today goes to ....

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"And most boring topic of today goes to ...."

Whoo hooooo, do I get a prize?

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

So is the High Street back or is everyone else buggering off to Aldi/Lidl?"

. Tesco are still massive compared to all other food retailers and their success has mainly been non stop for the past forty years .Since 2007 Tesco have open more stores than the entire size of the Morrison estate . I don't believe that Tesco will sit back and allow Aldi / Lidi to gain a substantial market share . Tesco have already started cutting their prices. The losses referred to are only accountng adjustments and have no impact on their cash flow . The success of Tesco is important to anyone with a pension as most funds have money invested in Tesco and rely on the dividends to pay pensions . I refuse to shop at either Aldi or Lidi.

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

. A lot more interesting than most topics on here and one in which many people have a vested interest

By *imply_SensualMan
over a year ago

warrington

I am an Aldi person these days, other than for cosmetics like shower gel etc, I still prefer my brands for that. But as far as food shopping goes, I save a fortune.

As for Tesco, they still turn over an operating profit, so the loss has been against their overall value, following the write-downs etc, I am sure the milk farmers are still busting a gut to get their profits.

I have never understood share markets but I did hear that now that all the bad news is out in the open and Tesco have been more transparent, and still operating with a profit, confidence has increased, hence the reaction to the share price

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Dare I say I work for Tesco and it worries me about my job "

No shame in working for Tesco . I hope you're unaffected by any changes. We do tend to forget there's a human face to these statistics.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

yes I saw that! my local butcher is closed before I get home from work and only opens until 12.OO on Saturdays. So although he sells really good stuff, he rarely gets my trade "

Our butcher reduces the hours his shop is open every year, though he is happy for people to collect from his farm anytime and now will even, er..., 'deliver'

(But he really does, and we'd be lost without him)

Mr ddc

over a year ago

Instead of using the every little helps tagline in their adds Tesco should use T.E.S.C.O to the tune of Ottawan's D.I.S.C.O

By *ruitWoman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

I don't have a car now so my shopping is done to suit me. I visit Morrisons as it's nearer on a week day evening after work and then tesco on the other side of town at a weekend.

It would be a 45 bus journey or 15 train plus walking to get to lidl or aldi.

Then it is still carrying it home.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Yet you still felt the need to post....go figure!

over a year ago

I've been shoppin' at Aldi for Eight years or so. I miss the empty carpark and having the store to myself.

over a year ago

Jim what do you do with all those torque wrenches and bike saddles?

over a year ago

"Instead of using the every little helps tagline in their adds Tesco should use T.E.S.C.O to the tune of Ottawan's D.I.S.C.O "

I recall Bob Mortimer doing that in an episode of Shooting Stars.

over a year ago

"Jim what do you do with all those torque wrenches and bike saddles?"

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The home delivery model doesn't make money for any supermarket yet. They have to pay for someone to sort the stock and put it in bags, then someone to drive it and all at the same price.

Tesco took on too much real estate and increased stock lines at the same time as looking at other markets.

Slashing prices just leads to producers being squeezed now.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Haven't looked at the share prices this week but they went from 80p to 1.40 in the last 6 months.

Nice little earner

Post new Message to Thread