Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

car

Jump to newest

By *orkieLass OP   Couple
over a year ago

York

I bought a vw passat last month. The guy who owns the garage said I had a one month warranty. Today, he said the warranty doesn't include electrical faults. He never said that before though. Does anyone know where I stand on this legally?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What's covered under the terms of the written warranty documentation you received at the time of purchase.....

over a year ago

You should have a copy of those terms in with the bill of sale ?

What is the fault ?

over a year ago

"I bought a vw passat last month. The guy who owns the garage said I had a one month warranty. Today, he said the warranty doesn't include electrical faults. He never said that before though. Does anyone know where I stand on this legally?"

If he's a legitimate trader he has no leg to stand on. The sales of goods act protects you for a lot of faults on cars for up to a year providing its maintained as per the manufacturers spec.

over a year ago

York

"I bought a vw passat last month. The guy who owns the garage said I had a one month warranty. Today, he said the warranty doesn't include electrical faults. He never said that before though. Does anyone know where I stand on this legally?

If he's a legitimate trader he has no leg to stand on. The sales of goods act protects you for a lot of faults on cars for up to a year providing its maintained as per the manufacturers spec."

My car has a fault with the instrument gauge (I think). The fuel and temp gauge doesn't work

over a year ago

York

"I bought a vw passat last month. The guy who owns the garage said I had a one month warranty. Today, he said the warranty doesn't include electrical faults. He never said that before though. Does anyone know where I stand on this legally?

If he's a legitimate trader he has no leg to stand on. The sales of goods act protects you for a lot of faults on cars for up to a year providing its maintained as per the manufacturers spec."

My car has a fault with the instrument gauge (I think). The fuel and temp gauge doesn't work

over a year ago

Look up the sale of goods act 1979....

It's been a while but I think that covers you....

Your vehicle should be 'fit for purpose'

I forget the ins and outs but there's loads on line about it...sure citizens advice will help too...

Good luck

By *quirrelMan
over a year ago

North Yorks

If he is a legitimate trader, and a registered company then he has to prove that the car was sold in good condition and "fit for the purpose" it was sold, this applies to all faults you find up to 6 months after purchase, this is a legal right not an implied warranty.

If it came with a brand new MOT certificate dated just before you bought it then it shows it was in a roadworthy condition so your legal position changes, as he can claim fair Wear n tear But if it's old certificate you could claim it was a pre-existing problem.

over a year ago

Good luck OP.

It's a minefield and a tough battle.

over a year ago

It could be a quick fix so most would do it just to save reputation ? But like most have said legally he should look at it

Try trading standards ?

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Go back and have a row threaten going to trading standards.. you've nothing to lose

By *inzi LTV/TS
over a year ago

The Garden of Eden in Beautiful North Wales

I think by law you automatically get a 3 month warranty with any car that you buy from a garage, just remind him of this and tell him your on your way to trading standards alternatively, I think you can demand a full refund if you want one... He's just being a twat... tell him that too! lol

Post new Message to Thread