Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Vinyl's back

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

From this week The Official Chart Company are now doing a weekly vinyl album and singles chart.

Seem this is becoming more and more popular as new data for the first quarter of 2015 reveals that this trend is continuing at pace, with vinyl album purchasing up yet again a staggering 69% versus the same period in 2014, and vinyl singles also up 23%.

Records sold this decade...

2010 - 234,471

2011 - 337,041

2012 - 388,768

2013 - 780,674

2014 - 1,288,510

So.....? Anyone going to buy a new record player?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

never went away in our house !!

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

I have a lovely old Dual. Could do with a new belt though.

over a year ago

I collect vinyls

over a year ago

My ex has attic and bedroom full. Still collecting.

over a year ago

I have always had one. Vinyl is always such a better sound.

CD's digitise the sound so you get about 80% of the original. MP3s you are lucky if you get 30% with your brain trying to fill in the rest.

Your ears and everything else about you are analogue. Vinyl records produce continuous analogue (natural) sounds. Not chopped up digitised bits!

over a year ago

"My ex has attic and bedroom full. Still collecting. "

over a year ago

for some of us it never went away!!

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

Never got rid of mine

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

All our vinyl has been co-opted by the yoof. He then scours the charity shops for more.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I have always had one. Vinyl is always such a better sound.

CD's digitise the sound so you get about 80% of the original. MP3s you are lucky if you get 30% with your brain trying to fill in the rest.

Your ears and everything else about you are analogue. Vinyl records produce continuous analogue (natural) sounds. Not chopped up digitised bits!"

I can only use MP3 in the new car

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

I never had a record player. I grew up in the era of cassettes and Walkmans.

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

On Friday, it is Record Shop Day, where you can purchase Stephen Hawkins singing The Galaxy Song on 7".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfcC6FYyL4U

over a year ago

"All our vinyl has been co-opted by the yoof. He then scours the charity shops for more.

"

Lol. Oxfam has a good selection. I usually buy books whilst ex hunts for rare vinyl

over a year ago

I've always kept all my vinyl and there is a lot of it! We used to have my grandparent's gramophone - my sister and I spent hours listening to records on there.

I'm glad it's making a come back!

over a year ago

"I collect vinyls "

over a year ago

Those number are a great example of the phase, there is lies, damn lies and statistics.

The figures you've given look impressive at a glance, but the last one 1,288,510 in the whole scheme of things is fuck all, I'm not even going look up let alone quote CD, downloads sales, but if it isn't greater than factor of 500 I'd be surprised.

Vinyl is a very profitable niche market but its for decoration really, I can't even be bothered to get a CD out of the box now, thanks to MP3's, let alone hold by the edges and carefully put it in and out of the paper sleeve.

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

Must Admit that the odd crackling sound you sometimes get with Vinyl is Missed a tad..

By *aro7Man
over a year ago

wickford

Your ears and everything else about you are analogue. Vinyl records produce continuous analogue (natural) sounds. Not chopped up digitised bits!"

exactly,,,,,,,,by far the best sound, natural and more rounded,,,,,,

over a year ago

Did it ever actually go away...

over a year ago

always had one too...

By *aro7Man
over a year ago

wickford

Perhaps we can, get this across the board now,,,,,,,,some of the older things are and always will be the best, a round of applause please for the return of vinyl,,,,,,,,,,,,,

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Your ears and everything else about you are analogue. Vinyl records produce continuous analogue (natural) sounds. Not chopped up digitised bits!exactly,,,,,,,,by far the best sound, natural and more rounded,,,,,, "

Not if they're recorded digitally (like most albums these days) they don't.

Our are you on about the good old days in the late 70's, early 80's, when there was an oil shortage and they used shitty recycled vinyl (labels and all) that weighed about as much as the average sheet of A4?

By *ipswingCouple
over a year ago

portrush

most recent remasters, are usually taken from the original analog source ... ahhhhh

and then there is the cover ..works of art ....

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Forsooth, I've always believed that vinyl was more of an affection than quantifiably superior to CDs.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"most recent remasters, are usually taken from the original analog source ... ahhhhh

and then there is the cover ..works of art ...."

There will come a point when there won't be any original analogue sources though! Unless you're content for the music industry to continue to sell you rehashed editions of former glories?

As for the covers, for every 10 good ones, I could show you 30 stinkers.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

A guy who owns a record store stated that vynal now accounts for about 1.5% of music sold.

Two years ago it was something like 0.05%.

He went on to say that he could sell a lot more but there isn't enough manufacturing capacity to supply the demand...

over a year ago

"most recent remasters, are usually taken from the original analog source ... ahhhhh

There will come a point when there won't be any original analogue sources though! Unless you're content for the music industry to continue to sell you rehashed editions of former glories?

As for the covers, for every 10 good ones, I could show you 30 stinkers."

In your opinion

By *ipswingCouple
over a year ago

portrush

noel gallagher is putting his music out on vinyl , lady gagga ... even one direction

over a year ago

I've got "unknown pleasures" by joy division on purple vinyl winging its way to us as I type,not bought a cd for eight years, vinyl is george best CDs are Dave best

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

As for the covers, for every 10 good ones, I could show you 30 stinkers.

In your opinion "

Obviously

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

" noel gallagher is putting his music out on vinyl , lady gagga ... even one direction "

And do you think any of those (with the possible exception of NG) record onto analogue tape?

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

And I'm not just ragging on people, I still have a custom built box in the dining room with over 500 albums in it and a Pro-ject Debut turntable; but to make a blanket statement that ALL vinyl sounds better than ALL digital is just ridiculous.

For starters, those crackles and pops that people are so nostalgic about, shouldn't even be there...if they are, you've got a problem with your vinyl/turntable/cartridge/tonearm etc.

Post new Message to Thread