Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Scoop 'n' save

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone know why the scoop and save shops closed? I was talking about them with a friend of mine who is too young to remember them and I can't for the life of me work out why they would close, any shop that has eliminated 99% of unnecessary packaging should be a worthwhile thing

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They probably eliminated their profits too

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I used to buy my parrot his mixed fruit and nuts and things from one. They saved me a fortune.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I used to love the scoop and save. I could buy as little of everything as I liked but lets face it the huge supermarkets took over everything and sold cheaper.

Why would a busy person buy EVERYTHING else in the supermarket and then go and weigh out their sugar, salt, flour , any dry goods.

Time consuming. Not cheap enough. Hygeine probs with open food. Not saying this IS why. Just could BE why.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It sounds a good idea and, like Granny, think the supermarkets probably did them in.

A local health food store has some things sold like this, scooping but minus the savings.

over a year ago

I used to run a Scoop 'n' Save shop.. one of the very first.

No idea why they shut down I had left before that time.

Hygiene may have been an issue, although in theory it seemed ok, when you have various types of people walking in off the street and handling scoops, lids, allows sleeves to drape into the bins, things get dropped, picked up and replaced through fear of getting charged etc.. you can soon see that hygiene becomes an issue.

Now they did not get closed down due to that or I would have heard, so perhaps the general public perception just went off the idea as supermarkets became larger and more accessible.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hmmm might be time to bring it back, if everything was in hoppers, and you could dump a small amount into a bag, without the need for a scoop, where I live with so many people on benefits it would take off I'm shure of it, it's just finding a suitable dispenser and a shop

over a year ago

Never heard of this at all. Was it a regional thing ?

over a year ago

Is this a northern thing?

I miss wolworths pick n mix

Her

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"Is this a northern thing?

Her"

More common up North, but there was one in Southend when I first moved here.

over a year ago

"Is this a northern thing?

Her

More common up North, but there was one in Southend when I first moved here."

Aww im not far from there, often visited Southend, i never noticed..i love the shops there too

Her

over a year ago

You're right about the packaging, they were so environmentally friendly.

Don't know why they shut, probably was they didn't profit enough lioke others have said.

Poundshops used to be a lot better in the 90s than they are now too, had loads of exotic cheap food items at a good price. Now they're mainly filled with sugary foods and overprocessed crap.

Post new Message to Thread