Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *isty286Couple
over a year ago

Dorset

"

When the Doc asks if you have any symptoms of dementia just reply :

What was the question again?

"

Hilarious ... u haven't had a relative destroyed by it then..

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"

Hilarious ... u haven't had a relative destroyed by it then.. "

I agree! My dear old mum has Alzheimers and it is not really a laughing matter. If you were to ask her a question, she would answer it to the best of her ability just as you or I would. Maybe after a few minutes, you could ask again and she would just answer again!

BUT.. She is happy and that is all I care about. She doesn't remember who I am and that is painful, but as I said, as long as mum is happy...

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

My mother and now two of her sisters have dementia. Her youngest sister is not that much older than me and has spent the last year behaving oddly with all her immediate family denying anything was happening. The MRI shows what I suspected. My paternal grandmother had Alzheimer's too.

I'm fairly certain I won't be able to recognise I'm being asked a question let alone answer the question in another 15 years.

But, whilst I have enough wit about me I will laugh about dementia in a gallows humour sort of way.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Cabbages??

over a year ago

"My mother and now two of her sisters have dementia. Her youngest sister is not that much older than me and has spent the last year behaving oddly with all her immediate family denying anything was happening. The MRI shows what I suspected. My paternal grandmother had Alzheimer's too.

I'm fairly certain I won't be able to recognise I'm being asked a question let alone answer the question in another 15 years.

But, whilst I have enough wit about me I will laugh about dementia in a gallows humour sort of way.

"

this

over a year ago

"My mother and now two of her sisters have dementia. Her youngest sister is not that much older than me and has spent the last year behaving oddly with all her immediate family denying anything was happening. The MRI shows what I suspected. My paternal grandmother had Alzheimer's too.

this "

Are you sure it's 15 yrs? Your a little vague at times

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

"

Hilarious ... u haven't had a relative destroyed by it then..

I agree! My dear old mum has Alzheimers and it is not really a laughing matter. If you were to ask her a question, she would answer it to the best of her ability just as you or I would. Maybe after a few minutes, you could ask again and she would just answer again!

BUT.. She is happy and that is all I care about. She doesn't remember who I am and that is painful, but as I said, as long as mum is happy... "

Bless her.. my dread.I am so scared to think it will happento me.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

this

Are you sure it's 15 yrs? Your a little vague at times "

I know!

I'm only planning to live for another 10 - if that. As soon as I don't know what a shoelace is I'm off. I'm not hanging around to find out if I can still tie the bloody thing.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

"

Any subject is comedy material. Can't remember who said it ....... but comedy is tragedy plus time.

Lost count of how many times my husband used to say Pardon every time I said I didn't hear him. I never failed to fall for it.

over a year ago

"

Hilarious ... u haven't had a relative destroyed by it then.. "

I have but I take the jokes lightly. If we didn't laugh we'd cry

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

My grandad was diagnosed last year. He has good days and some not so good days. It's very stressful for my gran, wish I could help more

over a year ago

My father also had Alzheimer's but, it's the way us Brits deal with things, tragedies also, stiff upper lip and laugh in the face of adversity. So I'd say joke away, doesn't affect my memories of my father, there's worse things that could have happened and did happen to him!!

over a year ago

My mother had advanced dementia and my father developed it as a result of having parkinsonism.

There is nothing funny about the illness but it creates situations that make you chuckle.

Gallows humour at its darkest.

I miss them both. It's hard telling someone that you love them, knowing they have no concept of what you're saying, or even who you are.

over a year ago

My maternal grandmother has Alzheimer's , I'm convinced losing my Mum - her only child - brought the symptoms on more quickly .

Doing the Easter quiz in the communal lounge in the home with Nan recently , showed me how bad hers has got. But they put an old record on and she knew it immediately. Was talking to me about how she used to dance with Grandad.

The raffle was complete chaos , but I came away smiling.

It's a cruel cruel illness, but my Nan appears happy in her own world. Maybe her mind took her there, as my Mum was her world.

I think comedy is needed at times, and she loved a joke !

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"there's worse things that could have happened"

That is soo true! When you look at all the nasty diseases there are and painful as cancer tends to be, my mum is in a way, very lucky. She has no pain and although she gets a little frustrated when she realises she should know me, it is a small price to pay for the happy times.

Dad was going that way too, but kidney failure took him, I believe it to be from pills ordered online to help with his enlarged prostate. He was prescribed, but he decided he knew best. Luckily for him the end came quick.

With a family history like that and my sister showing signs, my prognosis is not good! So, if anyone wants to give us a sympathy shag...

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"there's worse things that could have happened

That is soo true! When you look at all the nasty diseases there are and painful as cancer tends to be, my mum is in a way, very lucky. She has no pain and although she gets a little frustrated when she realises she should know me, it is a small price to pay for the happy times.

Dad was going that way too, but kidney failure took him, I believe it to be from pills ordered online to help with his enlarged prostate. He was prescribed, but he decided he knew best. Luckily for him the end came quick.

With a family history like that and my sister showing signs, my prognosis is not good! So, if anyone wants to give us a sympathy shag... "

I should use that too with my potential dementia prognosis.

My aunt having MND was bad but it was just over two years. My mother's dementia may mean she is not in pain but it's really hard to tell - she spends a lot of time crying. We're five years into living with dementia properly and there was 5 years before that where things weren't right.

over a year ago

this

I know!

I'm only planning to live for another 10 - if that. As soon as I don't know what a shoelace is I'm off. I'm not hanging around to find out if I can still tie the bloody thing."

Couldn't you just wear slip ons ?

over a year ago

this

I know!

I'm only planning to live for another 10 - if that. As soon as I don't know what a shoelace is I'm off. I'm not hanging around to find out if I can still tie the bloody thing.

Couldn't you just wear slip ons ? "

xx

over a year ago

"My mother had advanced dementia and my father developed it as a result of having parkinsonism.

There is nothing funny about the illness but it creates situations that make you chuckle.

Gallows humour at its darkest.

I miss them both. It's hard telling someone that you love them, knowing they have no concept of what you're saying, or even who you are.

"

Do you really know they didn't understand? I believe they do know, just the illness hides the recognition. They listen and understand. Even if it doesn't outwardly seem that way it registers inside. x

By *hyandtwistedCouple
over a year ago

loughborough

I once had dementia described as a bookcase during the dementia friends training.

books being the memories/feelings, the newest at the top. shake that bookcase and some fall off mostly at the top but the deeper memories/feelings stay put being lower down and thicker books.

So emotions and feelings remain long after the memory has been forgotten.

a person that was loved and felt it knows this even if they don't remember who you are today.

gallows humour helped us though a tough time with the motherinlaw until she passed. otherwise we would have just caved, it has its place

Post new Message to Thread