Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

ISA's

Jump to newest

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

Out of interest, is any anybody looking to open up a cash ISA and knows the best bank offering a decent rate of return? I don't want to lock my money into a fixed one, in case interest rates go up next year..

Any ideas?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I wouldn't have a clue and probably wouldn't take advice from strangers either but money supermarket online can give you a summary of the main banks with cash ISA offers

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

just wanted to see if there were any suggestions other than the major banks. They are all offering much of the same return, but some of the smaller banks are missed from the larger comparisons - or if they are included, as you haven't heard of them, you could steer away just because they are small

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Only allowed links please.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If I were looking I'd check with the Money Advice service (was the FSA) online or in the finance pages of the broadsheets at the weekend. Only you can decide what's right for you at the end of the day.

Her

over a year ago

This is Money - an independent list by the Daily Mail is probably the best of the 'best buy' tables.

By *ibanditMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Martin Lewis's website moneysavingexpert does a regular review of the best rates, check it out.

over a year ago

The major banks will almost certainly never offer a decent rate on an ISA, they never have to.

You could do worse than Google for Martin Lweis and his website (MoneySaving Expert ( ??maybe i forget the name) and sign up for his free weekly newsletter.

Rates change frequently between the various providers.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

Post office sposed to be one of the best.. get the martin lewis email weekly usually helps with advise

over a year ago

Lewis

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

From April 2016 we will be able to earn interest and pay no tax on all sorts of savings accounts, not just isa accounts. So you're doing the right thing by staying flexible.

I looked a couple of weeks ago and rates were great, maybe 2.5% max. A couple of smaller building societies were good.

Don't rely on comparison sites to give you the best - they can often just show you the providers that pay them the best commission for your referral.

Check the weekend finance sections of newspapers for best providers.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I don't really get ISA's. I have one but there's not much money in it and I haven't moved it since I got it.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"From April 2016 we will be able to earn interest and pay no tax on all sorts of savings accounts, not just isa accounts. So you're doing the right thing by staying flexible.

I looked a couple of weeks ago and rates were great, maybe 2.5% max. A couple of smaller building societies were good.

Don't rely on comparison sites to give you the best - they can often just show you the providers that pay them the best commission for your referral.

Check the weekend finance sections of newspapers for best providers. "

That's what I am finding. Whether it is a fee from a comparison site of not, there must be more than 3 banks! I found one with 2.1% variable for 12 months, that allows old ISA's to be transferred, but I cannot find out the rate my old ISA will be getting.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Given that ISA interest rates are so crap, it might be worth trying Premium Bonds for a year or so.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I don't really get ISA's. I have one but there's not much money in it and I haven't moved it since I got it. "

Move it - you can transfer any previous years ISAs into a new one and you'll definitely be better off.

And to those looking for the best rates? Check the papers, all comparison sites (including Mr Lewis's old one - he sold it to Comparethemarket for several million a few years back!) and just google.

So long as it's covered by the FSCS (the new version of the compensation scheme) it doesn't matter if an ISA is from a tiny provider or a high St bank.

A

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"Given that ISA interest rates are so crap, it might be worth trying Premium Bonds for a year or so."

I have just about got my head around ISA's

Post new Message to Thread