Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Problems sleeping

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So.... just a general pondering...

How long can the body go without sleep before bad things start to happen? I ask because I'm finding it harder and harder to sleep and I wanna know how long I have before bad things start to happen.

I'll be speaking to the doctor about getting some help.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

oh i could write a page about this - i went years on literally 2 hours kip a night - every few weeks my body would cave in and id sleep about 8 - takes its toll though and i got quite ill -

over a year ago

Google it OP... Not enough sleep can shorten your life span... sobering thought that one... in fact here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8660373.stm

Loads of research and articles out there. Trip to the GP is a good idea

over a year ago

erm

By *ilmiss75Woman
over a year ago

Thornton

I never sleep properly. I wake at least 4 or more times a night. I cannot remember the last time i had a solid 6 or more hours sleep.

I spoke to my doctor about this recently. He asked was i watching tv in bed? Using a ipad/laptop before i went to sleep? Which i do both of those every night.

He said that is the problem. Your mind isnt settling. He advised to sitting down stairs and switch them off half a hour before going to bed and just relax with a brew then I would start sleeping better.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

A week with zero sleep will kill you.

But even the worst insomniacs manage to get a little sleep in each 24 hours.

Approach bedtime as you would if it was for a small child. Make sure your bedroom is the right temperature, your bed and bedding comfortable, your room sufficiently dark. Have a warm (but not too hot) bath before bed, wind down with a book or some gentle music. Ensure there are no distractions in your bedroom - keep it just for sleeping, no screens (the blue light from them triggers the brain into wake up mode), put your phone on silent and in another room. A warm milky drink before bed can help, avoid alcohol as it makes you feel sleepy to start with then starts to wake you up, a few drops of lavender oil dripped onto your pillowcase can help.

Have a look online for relaxation exercises and try doing some while in bed. A simple one is to begin by concentrating on your toes, really feel the sensations your nerves are sending you about your toes, then consciously relax them. When you are confident that they are relaxed do the same for your feet. You then work up your body isolating each small part of your body, focusing on it so you are totally aware of it then relaxing it. Hopefully you will drift off before you get all of it done. There are lots of different techniques and meditations out there.

During the day try to ensure that you have done things that will both stretch and tire both your mind and body. If you don't get much exercise try to start swimming or even just go for a walk. Avoid eating foods that are heavy or are likely to upset your system so you're not uncomfortable in bed.

Look out for a yoga class, it can really help. At my worst the only night I slept properly was after yoga.

And if all else fails and you really can't sleep despite trying for a few hours get up and do something, though not something with a screen (the blue light) go for a walk, clean the bathroom, nip to the all night supermarket. Then you start bedtime again and hopefully you'll be able to get a few hours.

Lastly, try to avoid daytime naps. But if you can't get through without one go properly to bed and set an alarm so you don't sleep for too long.

Good luck.

over a year ago

Proper sleep is damn near impossible. Naps however.... not a problem

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Insufficient sleep causes problems straight away, even if its just poor cognitive skills. If it raises your stress hormone Cortisol then this isn't good for your health, especially if chronic.

It's better to relax, if you can't sleep, than not.

You can get apps which reduce the light waves that prevent sleep - they adjust automatically by the time of day. F.lux is one good one. They work on computers and mobiles. Aim to reduce use of tv before bedtime as they emit light too that prevents sleeping.

A regular schedule is best, if your life allows it. Try adjustments to your eating and exercise schedule, to see what effect that has.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Proper sleep is damn near impossible. Naps however.... not a problem"

Unfortunately naps compound the problem. Your body is getting enough to survive on so it makes 'proper' sleep unnecessary.

How long are your naps?

over a year ago

Turn your mobile off of put on airplane mode - the frequency can affect you if it's near your bed

over a year ago

Make sure you have a bed/mattress that is comfortable for you, and that includes pillows

over a year ago

"Proper sleep is damn near impossible. Naps however.... not a problem

Unfortunately naps compound the problem. Your body is getting enough to survive on so it makes 'proper' sleep unnecessary.

How long are your naps?"

3, 4 hours

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

How long are your naps?

3, 4 hours"

Then your body is regarding that as enough sleep so you won't get any at bedtime.

over a year ago

"So.... just a general pondering...

How long can the body go without sleep before bad things start to happen? I ask because I'm finding it harder and harder to sleep and I wanna know how long I have before bad things start to happen."

Welcome to my world! !

Even alcohol doesn't help cos you wake up needing to pee. Doc put me on some drowsy antihistamines, I slept but woke up feeling awful. Am on a waiting list for a 'sleep clinic'.

Hope you get some help.

over a year ago

How long are your naps?

3, 4 hours

Then your body is regarding that as enough sleep so you won't get any at bedtime."

Is that 3 - 4 or 3/4 hours?

Try not to nap, save your sleep.

A quick cat nap sometimes helps ( 10 - 20 mins but don't go to bed or dim the light. X

By *allen MadonnaWoman
over a year ago

In my own little world

I've suffered with poor sleeping patterns for years. Recently however I thought I'd get a grip on it but without medication.

I try to go for the full eight hours and I made little changes in my life, which took about 6 weeks to change behaviours.

I'm self employed and only have to step over the threashhold to my office, miss the walk to work. So I've started last week to take a 20 min walk each morning then come in and start work.

I set 3 alarms of an evening. 8pm - stop paperwork, go watch telly/ laptop. 9pm - stop laptop, veg in front of telly. 10pm alarm, close up house, get bedtime milk, have a bath, and usually by 11pm I'm fast asleep.

Took ages, but it does seem to be working.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

Thank god i dont have any problem with sleep.

I think having a regular time of sleep helps...10-11pm till 545am..everyday...since i was a teenager....!

and a 20mins powernap at 1noon.

I love sleep...its like a vacation from real life...

Good luck OP..

over a year ago

I so know how you feel

I work shifts so it's impossible to get a full 6- 8 hours - but I swear by "power naps"

10 - 20 mins each you wake up feeling amazing

It normally takes me around 15 mins to get to sleep - so take half hour out of your day to just lay down and close your eyes

Sweet dreams

Post new Message to Thread