Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sky - price increase

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So now we know how Sky will be paying for their monster Premier League rights win. As I had been expecting, a letter received this morning with a £4.50 a month increase. We should cut out the middle man and I can just donate my cash to the likes of Raheem Sterling etc. I feel a cancellation call coming on, paying more for less because they overpaid for the rights is a rip off

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Try it.

Threaten to go to Virgin and see what they say.

A

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i cancelled then phoned up on last day with sky and got it half price for 10 months

over a year ago

thing is i dont think anyone beats sky for channels and service with sports

over a year ago

I don't get why people bitch at the licence fee but happily cough up fifty quid a month on Sky!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i got the letter this morning as well and i am not happy.... i have worked out that most of the savings i made in downgrading packages i didn't watch are going to be eaten up but this increase......

the only thing stopping me from going to virgin media as it is is they down have an agreement to show sky atlantic and i would miss game of thrones and last week tonight.... but once thats finished in june... i am done..

By *rcticFoxxxWoman
over a year ago

Hereabouts

"I don't get why people bitch at the licence fee but happily cough up fifty quid a month on Sky!"

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"i got the letter this morning as well and i am not happy.... i have worked out that most of the savings i made in downgrading packages i didn't watch are going to be eaten up but this increase......

the only thing stopping me from going to virgin media as it is is they down have an agreement to show sky atlantic and i would miss game of thrones and last week tonight.... but once thats finished in june... i am done.."

Find someone you know who is elderly, loves sport and has no 'gadgets' - get them to give you their details and then watch via the skygo app for a fiver a month.

That's what I'd do.

A

over a year ago

"i got the letter this morning as well and i am not happy.... i have worked out that most of the savings i made in downgrading packages i didn't watch are going to be eaten up but this increase......

the only thing stopping me from going to virgin media as it is is they down have an agreement to show sky atlantic and i would miss game of thrones and last week tonight.... but once thats finished in june... i am done..

Find someone you know who is elderly, loves sport and has no 'gadgets' - get them to give you their details and then watch via the skygo app for a fiver a month.

That's what I'd do.

A"

I suppose on an IPTV you can access the games via t'internet so will still be able to watch on the big screen? Not a bad plan.

over a year ago

ok 4.50 a month is one bottle of cheap wine

or a pint in some places

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

That's what I'd do.

A"

ahem.... me and sis already have a deal in place where i gave her one of my password so she could watch sky sports for sky go... and because she has virgin i have a password for her bt sports.. lol... we had that worked out!!!!

the more principled point is that my original bundled deal which was costing me 60 quid a month... is now approaching 80... and thats on me for letting things lapse....

so i think the "i'm going to virgin" plan is on again......

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"ok 4.50 a month is one bottle of cheap wine

or a pint in some places

"

it depends on what you have... its not quite as bad as that depending on what packages you have

if you just have the basic package it isn't going up...

the middle bundle is going up 2 quid....

the top bundle is going up 3 quid

if you have sky movies that is goin up by 50p on top...

if you have sky sports that is going up by 1 pound on top...

if you have sky sports and sky movies... it is 1.50 on top

so if you have the top tier pack with everything... its 4.50 a month more...

mine is going up 3 quid a month... not happy

over a year ago

"ok 4.50 a month is one bottle of cheap wine

or a pint in some places

"

It is the principle. Sky has less sport next year than this as it has lost Champions league. It has massively overpaid for Premier League as they know that losing those games is the end for Sky, and as a consumer I am paying significantly more for significantly less.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

the only thing stopping me from going to virgin media as it is is they down have an agreement to show sky atlantic and i would miss game of thrones and last week tonight.... but once thats finished in june... i am done.."

NowTV?

If you want to record programs you'll need a separate solution for that, but tbh, their catch up options are good.

There's no subscription, so you start and stop your membership as you like.

Sky Movies is £9.99/m

I don't know how much the standard TV bundle is but I seem to recall £6.99 or £8.99 per month. That, I think, includes box sets.

I get Sky Movies this way from time to time, once there are a few things I want to watch on it, or over Christmas.

I'm seriously thinking about cancelling Sky altogether. It's a pisstake now.

over a year ago

I hear there are dodgy sky boxes.out there.... pay once..and never again.mite need to look further into this at the pub later.....

over a year ago

Everyone I know called Sky to cancel (to get cheaper deals) and got half price this and free channels that.

I call up to cancel (to get cheaper deals) and they say "see ya!".

By *immy2xMan
over a year ago

aberdeen/inverness/ highlands

Another shout from me for NOW TV

I would go to say its better than sky. The box plus 3 months entertainment package can be bought fir 20 quid. Then its 6.99 month to continue or just use all the free stuff.

Its wayyy better than sky because all the catch ups like 4od etc are there on yer telly plus yougube and facebook and 100s of series and booksets including as poster above wants game of thrones.

Try it only costs 20 quid. So if you dont like continue to pay sky, after a month i dumped sky cause i actually prefer now tv not just the fact it is cheaper.

If its football your after then goodluck with yer high sky prices. Id rather a season ticket for my club and just watch hignlights for the rest. Probably cheaper.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"I don't get why people bitch at the licence fee but happily cough up fifty quid a month on Sky!"
boom and you sused it out which news papers have been at the forefront of the campaign to vilify and lambast the bbc which news papers have been encouraging the attacks on the tv licence ? the sun the times etc now who owns those and who owns sky .............

over a year ago

Internet.Streaming.

over a year ago

Yeah got mine too, mines £3.50, gonna cancel.

over a year ago

"So now we know how Sky will be paying for their monster Premier League rights win. As I had been expecting, a letter received this morning with a £4.50 a month increase. We should cut out the middle man and I can just donate my cash to the likes of Raheem Sterling etc. I feel a cancellation call coming on, paying more for less because they overpaid for the rights is a rip off "

I was gonna leave,then they offered me a free upgrade to a sky+ box and my package for 6 months half price. Told them I'd think about it,they rang me back 2 days later and I said no then they offered it for 10 months half price. I said thankyou very much..I'll do the same when this deal ends.

over a year ago

"I hear there are dodgy sky boxes.out there.... pay once..and never again.mite need to look further into this at the pub later....."

There are indeed special boxes, you can get them on eBay, there 90 quid for 12 month service, and that includes bt sport box nation, and premier sports for the nrl fans, I an9seriously considering getting 1, only issue is you can't record on them

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

I suppose you could always go to the matches instead....don't expect it would be cheaper and would be a logistical nightmare.

over a year ago

people think phoning to quit will get them a deal it will not. They have a quota of deals to give away and will only give out so many. Lots will say I'm off then the people on the phone will say bye. be careful with trying. My mates did find a way round it though. cancel it then re get it in your partners name and they will be classed as a new customer and get the new cheaper deals and lots more offers

over a year ago

"people think phoning to quit will get them a deal it will not. They have a quota of deals to give away and will only give out so many. Lots will say I'm off then the people on the phone will say bye. be careful with trying. My mates did find a way round it though. cancel it then re get it in your partners name and they will be classed as a new customer and get the new cheaper deals and lots more offers"

They don't have a quota, they will have a target on what is called churn. They will look at each customer and work out if they lose that customer how much it will cost to win them back and take a view on what to do to keep them. The vast majority of people will pay without any quibble.

By *ridmusCouple
over a year ago

sheffield

"So now we know how Sky will be paying for their monster Premier League rights win. As I had been expecting, a letter received this morning with a £4.50 a month increase. We should cut out the middle man and I can just donate my cash to the likes of Raheem Sterling etc. I feel a cancellation call coming on, paying more for less because they overpaid for the rights is a rip off "

they can get fooked simple

over a year ago

dont get sky , its a heap of shite

over a year ago

You should do refer a friend to get into virgin u get £50 referral and £50 for the new customer

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I've had free internet, half price line rental and £5 off my sky bill for years now. Every time it's due to run out I tell them im off and they give me another 6/12 months. The day they say no I will actually leave and change Internet providers

By *igerandKittenCouple
over a year ago

London

By *ridmusCouple
over a year ago

sheffield

never checked my sky gone up to 89 ffs that's not happening

over a year ago

Sky can fuck off...it was always heading in this direction...they can jam it...

over a year ago

I reckon I'll be cancelling mine and going with youview and buying the sport bolt on for twenty quid

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

People have freedom of choice if they want to subscribe to sky sports or not, there is no such choice with the bbc. Everyone who wants to watch television is forced to pay the BBC license fee. If the BBC was a subscription based service like Sky, i would'nt pay for it.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

I also binned sky off years ago (got sick of the almost yearly increases in subscription fee). I'm with BT vision now, get Sky sports 1 and 2 much cheaper on BT vision.

over a year ago

I got a letter this morning to say my package price wasn't changing. They even came out for free last week to fix it for free when I lost my input 2 signal due to faulty connectors!

over a year ago

For me they can up it as much as they like. It's my ex husbands only contributuon to his 3 sons. However from experience telling them you want to cancel usually gets you a healthy discount for a few months

By *each_PittWoman
over a year ago

Belfast

You can get a fully loaded XBMC box on Amazon for about £60. Think that's the way I'll be going soon.

over a year ago

I cancelled my sky and just have now tv now.. I am missing being able to watch Eurosport and I would love to be able to have bt sport but I cant...

I cant actually get bt tv here.. or virgin so its sky or freesat only here.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"I cancelled my sky and just have now tv now.. I am missing being able to watch Eurosport and I would love to be able to have bt sport but I cant...

I cant actually get bt tv here.. or virgin so its sky or freesat only here. "

Do you have decent broadband? As above, NowTV is an option. It's Sky's streaming service.

over a year ago

"I suppose you could always go to the matches instead....don't expect it would be cheaper and would be a logistical nightmare."

This

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"I suppose you could always go to the matches instead....don't expect it would be cheaper and would be a logistical nightmare.

This"

I thought sports coverage was part of the reason for pubs?

By *lueWKDMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

I took up there 25th birthday day offer last year and took out a 25 months contract for £25 got every channel great deal

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"I don't get why people bitch at the licence fee but happily cough up fifty quid a month on Sky!

"

By *lshere77Man
over a year ago

Wigan

No suprises with Sky......keep on ling their pockets

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

Do some googling and get a vu+ box. Can't post details here but if you have a box and configure it the right way.... Ahem £40 per year

Post new Message to Thread