Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

First tattoo

Jump to newest

By *verReadyAndMinxy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Blackpool

Been thinking for ages of getting my first tattoo. Have my birthday next month so may take the plunge.

Any suggestions where and what first? I'm not sure on my pain threshold. Think it verges on the wimpy side lol. Id like it to be one I can see ie not back but maybe hands, wrists, feet etc. Ive got loads of ideas for little ones myself.

Thanks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think, in my experience, wrist is best, it hardly hurts, when I had my neck done i nearly fell asleep having it done lol

over a year ago

Like you been contemplating the idea for a long time but what d you get that will stand the test of time? Its a hard choice and think I would get one which only gets viewed by a select few.

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

I got my first one on my foot for similar reasons. I'm not going to lie, it did hurt, but it was manageable. There are so many different nerve clusters there that once one started really hurting the tattooist had moved onto the next one. My arm didn't hurt anywhere near as much, the inner wrist was proper ouchy and my lower back didn't really hurt at all.

over a year ago

Don't go for the foot or ribs sorest thing ever having my foot done

over a year ago

Talk to your chosen tattooist. If they are any good they will give you loads of advise on best place to have it. If they don't then walk away and find a new one.

over a year ago

Fleshy areas are better then bony areas so I believe my first was on my left shoulder my second on my spine xx

over a year ago

Somewhere fleshy lessens the pain - tattoos are a little addictive. I've been holding off for a long while, but I think I'm just about to go for number 3

over a year ago

I got mines done on my hip so that I' can chose who sees it and who doesn't.. Apart from on holiday when I have my bikini on..

Never regretted it..

over a year ago

"Been thinking for ages of getting my first tattoo. Have my birthday next month so may take the plunge.

Any suggestions where and what first? I'm not sure on my pain threshold. Think it verges on the wimpy side lol. Id like it to be one I can see ie not back but maybe hands, wrists, feet etc. Ive got loads of ideas for little ones myself.

Thanks"

multi coloured fab on side of your foot? may'be with a leafy or even a firey surroound? bit niche and you may get unwanted attention mmm shit idea eh?! doh

By *eembabyWoman
over a year ago

Brum

Start off with something small an wrist is probably the best place for a first tattoo I'm on 18 so far

over a year ago

And it hurts!!!

over a year ago

Jump straight in iam in the middle of a full leg piece bottom of my arse cheek to the ankle yeah it's sore but worth every second... and yeah ribs are a bitch front and back

over a year ago

Be original Hun don't have a tattoo

over a year ago

"Start off with something small an wrist is probably the best place for a first tattoo I'm on 18 so far "
and when you get all the alphabet your gonna join em up! with a leafy surround!!!

By *eembabyWoman
over a year ago

Brum

"Start off with something small an wrist is probably the best place for a first tattoo I'm on 18 so far and when you get all the alphabet your gonna join em up! with a leafy surround!!! "

haha don't give me idea's I've got enough random ones as it is!

over a year ago

I'd give 2 bits of advice as a tattoo lover. First, make your first one something that really means something to you. that way, if you decide you don't like tattoos in general later on you'll never dislike the one you have. Second as far as pain is concerned we're all different. personally none of mine were unbearable, but go for any area that's nice and fleshy as its tattooing over bone that usually hurts. Hope this helps.

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

My only tattoo was done last year on my 50th on my hand

I've had more painful farts if I'm honest lol

And people always comment on it

over a year ago

I wouldn't have one on my hand, I like to be able to cover mine if I want to.

Had my first one 15 years ago when I was only 16, a large umm I dunno what it is some swirly black shit that's in the top of my thigh reaches over the top of my fanny and goes on to my bum cheek, didn't find it that painful. Top of arm not painful, top of my back on the spine, little bit painful but tatt was quite small so over quickly, tribal tramp stamp on the bottom of my back hurt, bottom of both legs were ok, the bigger one hurt after the first 2 hours. Rose on my collarbone hurt cos it was boney!

over a year ago

Blackpool

Thanks everyone for your advice!

over a year ago

"I'd give 2 bits of advice as a tattoo lover. First, make your first one something that really means something to you. that way, if you decide you don't like tattoos in general later on you'll never dislike the one you have. Second as far as pain is concerned we're all different. personally none of mine were unbearable, but go for any area that's nice and fleshy as its tattooing over bone that usually hurts. Hope this helps. "

Top advice this is. Me and Mrs S have a load of them, but defo get a meanigful one first and remember...cheap is cheap for a reason, f its for life, dont skimp on it

over a year ago

"Start off with something small an wrist is probably the best place for a first tattoo I'm on 18 so far and when you get all the alphabet your gonna join em up! with a leafy surround!!!

haha don't give me idea's I've got enough random ones as it is! "

sorry thought you were goin in alphabetical order!

over a year ago

Just had my 4th done yesterday for my birthday next week.to me its like a cat scratching. Not so bad.

over a year ago

Pick something that has true meaning behind it and not just because you like it.

A good tattooist will always help you out with thoughts, ideas and placements. You could also check if they have a FB page to see if you like their style and standard of work before even going to any local studios.

If you're thinking of getting one that is visible to the sun, try and get it done before or after our one week of summertime. As new tattoos should be kept out of bright sunlight for three weeks.

By *arkwolf66Woman
over a year ago

Horsham,

First bit of advice is don't be fooled by thinking smaller is less painful, the smaller the needle the more painful it is.

This is your tattoo! Have something that 'you' actually want to have, not something that seems a good idea at the time.

The areas are different in terms of pain for every individual, what hurts one person will feel totally different for another.

Don't have it done during your period or if your under the weather, it makes the pain harder to deal with.

avoid coffee and caffeine in general as it stimulates the nerve endings, making you hyper sensitive.

Make sure you have a big lunch or breakfast before you go as it settles the stomach and makes you more relaxed.

Research your tattooist well and they should give you all the help and advice you need.

But most of all, enjoy! It's a great experience, sometimes even spiritual for some

over a year ago

Women's skin is different to men's. Think about the design that you want and pinch yourself. Think about is it personal to you? Do you want to show it off? Will having a tattoo affect your career? What does it mean to you? I'm a Mortal Kombat fan and my tattoo is the dragon face from that. Was done in 2000 when I was 18. Was a big year for me as I lost my virginity and my best friend killed herself, so I was looking for identity. It's on my right bicep and nowadays forget it's even there but very glad that it is.

over a year ago

"Been thinking for ages of getting my first tattoo. Have my birthday next month so may take the plunge.

Thanks"

Something sweet 'n' discreet below the bikini line?

Mmm...

By *ay_666Man
over a year ago

Ilkeston

Best place to get one imo is somewhere fleshy as its less painful there first one I got was in my forearm avoid the ribs and ankle they can be pretty sore ones

over a year ago

I have 3. Wrist, ankle and forearm. My forearm was a 6 hour sitting and a cover up so hurt more than the first time. Though my bottom of leg/ankle one hurt the most. Wrist didn't hurt at all. It's a nice pain. Never unbearable. I'm booked in for my fourth in May. Good luck with yours.

over a year ago

One of my friends has got several tattoos, both ankles, lower back and recently had one on her thigh and foot.

She told me that the one on her foot was the most painful of all due to there being no flesh and it being quite boney and she's got quite a high pain threshold so for her to say it really hurt it must have been bad.

I'd advise as a first tattoo to have a smallish one on a fleshy part of your body, just to ease yourself in to it and to give you an idea of the pain.

over a year ago

"Talk to your chosen tattooist. If they are any good they will give you loads of advise on best place to have it. If they don't then walk away and find a new one."

sound advice!

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I don't have any tattoos.

*courtesy of the useless information department*

over a year ago

What sort of things do you like?

I love flowers, birds, and animals, so most of my tattoos are of these. I like traditional tattoos so my tattoos are in this style.

Best thing is to decide what style of tattoos you like best and what things you would like on you, then google it and look at what they look like on others. So say you like brids, and traditional japanese style tatoos then google "japanese bird(s) tattoo" and see what comes up to give you an idea of what you'd like done.

Feet and wrists hurt worst for me, and it tends to be fairly painful where i'm muscly too.

over a year ago

All really good advice given. It honestly does make a difference if you don't drink the night before, get a decent sleep and have a breakfast before going. Make sure you eat something sugary before it too. It helps with less bleeding. Personally I found my inner wrist not painful at all but my ribs and lower back were murder.

Good luck and hope you get something you'll enjoy showing off or keeping for only certain peoples eyes to see...x

over a year ago

Good luck whatever you decide to do OP!! I took me about 5 years to decide what and where to get mine. Never looked back and now thinking about a second

over a year ago

'LOVE' & 'HATE' on your knuckles

over a year ago

If you have friends that have ink, ask where they had it done. I went to the same tattooist my best male friend uses. That same friend designed my first one using an idea I'd wanted for a tattoo for a long time. I felt comfortable chatting to his tattooist about my ideas and designs and he made sure I was ok throughout doing my first one.

I have 3 now and like others said, they can be addictive. I may well have a fourth, but I'm waiting until I'm inspired to have a design I really want.

I was worried about the pain, it was alright though and never got too much. Good luck in choosing! I do love looking at tattoos.

over a year ago

Choose wisely, it's there for your lifetime.

I wanted my kids names on side of my hand for years. Only when I became single again I had it done. I'm also a bit of a whimp. I got ametop gel from the chemist which numbed the area.

Good luck in choosing and getting your first tattoo. It won't be your last. Xx

over a year ago

Your endorphins kick in after a bit and it gets a lot easier, so small doesn't equal less painful.

My advice would be not to get something small on your wrist if you want something big on your back. The pain is for a few hours for something you'll (hopefully) love for the rest of your life. Just go right in and get what you want, it's scary but it's worth it.

over a year ago

Research your tattooist well, as someone else said see if they have a Facebook page but also Instagram can be a great way of checking out a tattooists work and can help in finding one that has done plenty of of work in the style you are looking for.

When you find a good artist go and talk to them, this should give you a chance to make sure you are comfortable with them and the studio, if the place doesn't look 110% clean walk away.

Choose wisely as it's there for life and it can very easily become addictive, but it can and should be an enjoyable experience, even if it's hurts a bit.

over a year ago

Also don't let the cost affect your decision! Some artists take the piss but in general I reckon you get what you pay for.

over a year ago

I hAve tattoos on my foot going up my ankle, wrist, lower back, top of my spine, and behind my ear,

Found the only one that was stingy was my lower back when the tattooist went over pressure points.

Everywhere else was relaxing

over a year ago

The person doing the tattoo affects how sore it is as well, one of mine was done by a guy that's incredibly talented but he's like a tattoo butcher - it was agony, despite being on an "easy" bit!

Also girly advice - depending on where it is, don't get tattooed on or just before your period. Ouch.

over a year ago

Blackpool

Thankyou so much! I have loved reading all your messages! Ive spent many hours on Pinterest haven't tried Instagram. I'm a bit excited lol. X

Post new Message to Thread