Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Things you used to do as a kid

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Modern kids have smartphones and tablets.

When I was grewing up, the best time waster was rubbing glue onto your hands and peeling it off.

What do you remember doing?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Make perfume from flowers and alsorts

over a year ago

Climbing trees. Playing hide and seek, army games and British bulldogs. Building dens. Had a bloody marvellous childhood - but was definitely a Tom-boy! Still am at heart!

over a year ago

making a plasterscene willy for action man

over a year ago

Playing shipwreck with my brother on a pile of building rubble in the unoccupied next door neighbours garden

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Climbing trees and picking cherries is one of my best childhood memories. I d still do it given half a chance.

over a year ago

Stealing metal dust caps from cars for our bikes

over a year ago

making homemade go carts

over a year ago

"making a plasterscene willy for action man "

Was he vwe?

over a year ago

Building things and then having fun knocking them down and starting again !

Plus playing Doctor & patient

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

"Make perfume from flowers and alsorts "

I loved that too

over a year ago

"making a plasterscene willy for action man

Was he vwe? "

yea

over a year ago

"making a plasterscene willy for action man "

over a year ago

I remember the 6 week school holidays being sunny from start to finish!-they probably weren't but?. . . So being out permanently til it got dark.

Oh and playing Kerby . ?

Her x

over a year ago

I used to do that as well!

I would also take my mums mirror off the wall and hold it out flat in front of me then walk all round the house looking into the mirror so it felt like I was walking on the ceilings, having to step over the top of door frames and looking at stairs upside down is scary!

I also copied the noise of the Hoover if anyone was hoovering cos your voice sort of blends in with the Hoover sounds! Used to steal the plastic off my Nan's fags and put it over my lips and blow so the plastic tickled my lips!

When I wasn't doing any classes I was a very bored annoying child!

over a year ago

Stealing little roll's of cellotape then trying to sell them to people outside my estate for 20p so i could go back to the same shop & buy 20 penny sweets.

I know, i know...But I've completely turned over a new leaf this year!

over a year ago

"Modern kids have smartphones and tablets.

When I was grewing up, the best time waster was rubbing glue onto your hands and peeling it off.

What do you remember doing? "

Ah yeah the glue thing! I remember as a kiddie at primary school I used to deliberately cover my hands in it so I could peel it off on the walk home!

And if course playing football in the playing field until it was too dark to see, jumpers for goalposts and all that!

We used to spend hours across the fields in the Summer, literally all day making dens in the trees from the hay bales etc, no consideration to weirdos or paedos etc back then (even though you could argue that was height of such things happening!)

Happy days, oh to go back to them!

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Playing on building sites, building houses with bales in corn fields. In fact where we live now, I can remember when it was just fields!!!

over a year ago

Making mud pies, using blades of grass to whistle, taking all day to walk a mile or so to the nearest shop & back. Having spent 50p got Look-In magazine, bitza pizza crisps, top ten drink carton & still a load of 1/2p sweets!

over a year ago

Building dams in little rivers and streams.

over a year ago

creating our own wrestling show with a camcorder, we made our own champion belts, made our own tables to slam each other through straight onto the grass

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Buying Bunty for the paper doll at the back. Drawing around her to make her a boyfriend, family etc and extra clothes. My sisters and I had our own little world.

over a year ago

Dressing up. Playing pirates in an upside down table ship. Making my own Jolly Rodger flag on the Singer sewing machine. Making dens out of cardboaed boxes indoors. And out of palettes, plastic sheeting and anything we could find on bits of wasteland, we'd make our dens in the woods. Making go-carts out of pieces of plywood, nails, pramwheels and u-bolts, then hurtle down the hill at the local park using the bushes at the bottom as brakes

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Making dens out of the wooden clotheshorse and a tablecloth.

The button box was a perennial fave too, I can't remember what we did with them but they featured in most indoor games and adventures.

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"

The button box was a perennial fave too, I can't remember what we did with them but they featured in most indoor games and adventures. "

I remember my gran's button box. I think we used them as tiddlywinks

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

The button box was a perennial fave too, I can't remember what we did with them but they featured in most indoor games and adventures.

I remember my gran's button box. I think we used them as tiddlywinks"

We still have it, despite the fact that all the buttons are what could politely be termed 'vintage' and are unlikely to ever be used. It figured in too many games to get thrown out.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Playing street (all kids in the street joined in) games like football, hide and seek, British bulldog and going round to a building site on our bikes to jump them off ramps we made.

Role playing games like warhammer fantasy, twilight 2000, Middle Earth role playing game.

Table top games like warhammer 40k, epic space marines and space hulk.

Only once in a blue moon did we play on a computer game.

over a year ago

Playing boats in the huge cardboard box my sister's incontinence pads came in. Having picnics in the garden with a little china tea set. Winkling at Leysdown with my family.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Playing street (all kids in the street joined in) games like football, hide and seek, British bulldog and going round to a building site on our bikes to jump them off ramps we made.

Role playing games like warhammer fantasy, twilight 2000, Middle Earth role playing game.

Table top games like warhammer 40k, epic space marines and space hulk.

Only once in a blue moon did we play on a computer game."

We had an Atari but it was for wet weather only - as long as it wasn't tipping it down we were all chased out to 'play out'. What we played depended on who was about.

There was a lot of Evil Kinevil with homemade ramps and the younger kids (generally me) substituting for buses.

We had a rope swing over a duke and dug out some underground dens.

We also tried making explosives but had to stop that after we blew up someone's new built in oven a week after their much saved for kitchen had been fitted

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

Marking mud pies with worms

And making my 4 brothers eat them

Happy days

over a year ago

only child - i coloured in for fkn england - Sx

By *ouble CCouple
over a year ago

Gran Canaria

Lying down on the floor under a swing. Scariest thing ever.

50/50 home.

Falling off a rope swing and cutting my hand, then gettin back up and going back on it. Lol.

Miss C.

over a year ago

"Lying down on the floor under a swing. Scariest thing ever.

50/50 home.

Falling off a rope swing and cutting my hand, then gettin back up and going back on it. Lol.

Miss C. "

We were made of tougher stuff back then! The amount of bruises, cuts and scars I got as a kid from just playing normally outside would probably draw the attention of social services today the kids are so mollycoddled

over a year ago

Playing football in my Mum and Dads drive way with my mates using the garage door as a goal. After the first 3 goals Dad coming out to tell us to pack it in and go down the park.

By *4nc3rCouple
over a year ago

Clacton-On-Sea, Essex

I was a weird child (especially for a girl haha) I used to build stuff... All the time!! My dad bought me a proper tool kit for my 6th birthday and I constantly used things I found on the streets to make things... Like bits of breeze block or old pipe where the council hadn't cleared up after building works, or scrap wood and metal sheets, coloured nylon rope etc. Wind chimes, picture frames, wooden cut outs that I'd paint animals on, bracelets (made from braiding ropes and melting the ends together) generally I was a very resourceful and artistic child haha

My biggest love of all though was by far my mountain bike - I was never seen anywhere without it and my parents would allow me to go wherever I wanted if I had it where I had to stay within the estate on foot lol

over a year ago

"Modern kids have smartphones and tablets.

What do you remember doing? "

Lol those were the days - used to do this in class at school.

over a year ago

Snogging and sticky fingers but mostly playing only bike not much has changed.

By *ittle Pocket PerveWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Used to go river jumping a lot

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

I had a box full of beads from broken necklaces. Used to thread them into cotton, wear them, break them and start again.

Catch the bus all over the place and think nothing of it

Had boxes of empty packets of food, ciggis. Used to set up in the room and play shop.

Have days down the local stream

. Came home once with a jam jar full of frogspawn. Hid them and some time later our street was full of frogs

over a year ago

Swim in the river

Climb trees.

Jump out of trees into the river.

over a year ago

Building tree houses with the neighbours 3 grandsons who used to come to their nannas every weekend and stay there for the school holidays !!

Walking to the top of my street (a slight hill) in the sock inside the roller blade boot then skating All the way down to the bottom without going flying into a lamp post

playing out then when it started to rain hiding somewhere so my mum didn't shout me in lol

Climbing trees, jumping over the beck at the bottom of my street trying not to land in it

Oh picking blackberries off the allotment bushes and being told off for being in there

over a year ago

And rubbing polystyriene on lamp posts to make it snow

By *4nc3rCouple
over a year ago

Clacton-On-Sea, Essex

How did i forget playing and climbing anywhere these was open ground - There was that time we went over the old fields that were being built on and had mounds if clay-like mud... It had been raining and I fell in up to my knees still sinking further - no phones to call for help, i sunk nearly to my hips before My friends managed to help me out - mum wasn't happy when I came home having lost one of her £90 DC trainers because I had to abandon it in the clay haha

over a year ago

loved playing games like rounders and british bulldog with every kid who lived in the neighbourhood, emptying my mums beetroot or pickles into a dish so i could get the jar to go collect bees, playing kiss cuddle or torture and intentionally letting the guy i fancied catch me so i could let him kiss me ... those were the days

over a year ago

scrumping

marbles

hop-scotch

dressing my action man in my sister's sindy clothes

over a year ago

Some brilliant memories on this thread. I used to draw on the floor with stones. Ride full speed down big hills sat on the handle bars of boys bikes. Swap a shoe with somebody so everyone in the group had odd shoes on and many of the things posted above. Great days.

over a year ago

We used to go scrumping for cars. Such a laff sneaking into the NCP "orchard" and running off with a couples of rosy red GTI's under our stone-washed 501's, fond memories of the red faced attendant close on our heals! Heady days indeed!

over a year ago

Loved playing Knock Door Bunk and fishing for tadpoles, used to make glue out of flour and water, played mermaids and pirates, wouldn't swap those days for the world!

By *ouple1973Couple
over a year ago

clowne

Making mud pies scrumping at school in science dipping my fingers in maths and setting them alight singing happy birthday and playing British bulldog wouldn't change them memories for the world

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Climbing trees. Playing hide and seek, army games and British bulldogs. Building dens. Had a bloody marvellous childhood - but was definitely a Tom-boy! Still am at heart! "

we played all those and another called hares and hounds

we used to pinch the ropes off the back of wagons in the local yard for the rope swings as we had 2 on the go

one was deadly as at highest point was 25ft in air if it snapped you landed on stones or the concrete fence bollards

the other swing we played knifey first person sticks knife in ground other person grabs it and on go or return of swing sticks it back into ground

we also built an 8ft dam in woods near stream we could move some rocks in them days as kids

stone rocks got moved blocking rds often the stones was massive but we still moved them as kids

oh and cardboard and old suitcases using them on the steep grass verges as great slides at some lick of speed down them on railway tunnel and also at steep pylon hills

railway tunnel walking through it that 1 mile tunnel was fun at best of times we got chased a few times

winter was on sledges and the metal ones was deadly on the grass slopes

we also pinched the lead of roofs and weigh them in often

By *icarswife45Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire town near Bath

Scrumping apples

Playing marbles

Hanging out in the hay barn with friends

Cycle rides out all day having fun

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I still pick ma nose and wipe it on random unsuspecting people

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

"I still pick ma nose and wipe it on random unsuspecting people "

Me too

over a year ago

We made bows and arrows. Big ones that you had to fire by lying on your back with the bow across your feet, and the arrows were about 5 feet long.

Made chinese arrows that we could get to a distance of 30 or 40 metres.

We used to buy extra long peashooters and sit in our den up a hawthorn tree in the park firing berries at anyone who came near.

I used to make chinese throwing stars for me and my mates, using some 1/8 " plate steel that I found in the shed. My dad kept wondering why it was getting smaller.

Playing knifey from a rope swing.

Not one of us ever " had their eye out"!

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Playing subbutio with my pal

over a year ago

Climb trees

Ride push/motorbikes

Go "frog spawning" and put it in an unsuspecting friends pond

Hedgehopping

Making assault courses out of milk crates.(my mates dad was a milkman)

Play hide and seek around the secondary school

Play on a games console (80s-90s)

Play WWF

Play trackers

over a year ago

whats scrumping?

over a year ago

Hahaha same..or peel the varnish off the school desk..the one that had the lid on top and you'd leave all your stuff in it, yet nobody nicked anything out of it..the good ole days lol. Darcy

over a year ago

"whats scrumping? "

Stealing.

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"whats scrumping? "

The theft of apples from someone's apple tree..

You wouldn't steal a car

You wouldn't steal a handbag

Scrumping is a crime

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/04/15 22:36:14]

over a year ago

Being childish.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

we got shot at often for scrumping in orchard near us

as it had loverly pears and apples on its trees and the grapes was so sweat and yummy

one lad did get it as they used grit and it hurt like a swine

over a year ago

Building camps on bomb sites in London, great fun times......

over a year ago

Hahaha I used to do that..and everytime, I got a bucket of water chucked over me lol..but the plums were worth it haha. Darcy

over a year ago

Thanks must be an English word... us Scots wouldn't do anything like that haha

over a year ago

Footie up the park

Making dens in the woods

Playing kerby

Winding up that old geezer on the corner

Waiting on the ice cream van

Lying on our backs looking up at the stars and wondering what's out there.... I still do this.

over a year ago

Climb trees / ride bikes / play football / make potions / play hide and seek / 40 40 home / kurbsy / concurs to name but a few.

over a year ago

Playing card, Clothes peg, Bicylce. Instant Motorbike

over a year ago

"making a plasterscene willy for action man

Was he vwe? "

Never stayed hard?

By *ot monkey71Couple
over a year ago

middlesbrough

Long summer days playing rounders and hide and seek, the whole neighbourhood would play together. Also played twosie and elastics, mum was always wondering where the lenghts of elastic would disappear to! Oh and my roller boots and the local roller disco. Saved up for weeks for them and went everywhere on them.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I still pick ma nose and wipe it on random unsuspecting people "

Our son was enthusiastically picking his nose in the passenger seat as I drove him somewhere, when I told him off he said " it's ok mum, I'm putting it in my pocket"

Another day he returned from school having obviously used his sleeve instead of a handkerchief, his explanation? "I fell in some slugs mum"

over a year ago

Playing British bull dog up the local park with streets of kids

Making mud pies

Playing knock and run down the streets

Baking my grannie and fruit cakes

Making glue out of flour and water

Finding my parents porn mags and reading the story's

Laying down infront of an open doorway watching the rain come down with my brother

Collecting snails from the garden and putting them in jars

Swimming down the local river

Making dens and camp fires

Walking or biking for miles with my best friend but having to be back by tea time

Playing spin the bottle

Being pen pals with other kids

Pressing flowers

Playing horses with broomsticks after watching zoro on telly

Scrumping nuts from the vicars drive way

Dressing my dog up in clothes

Going to Sunday school for the free chocolate bar

over a year ago

knock down ginger , runouts , football , climb trees , build our own zip wire tree to tree , rollerskates , bmx , find dumped motorbikes and ride them , light fires , camping in tents, egg peoples windows , garden jumping,swimming in pools and rivers ,vandalism......lets say the area was oretty rough at times...lol

over a year ago

I still do this with my niece n nephews, they love it too

over a year ago

"Building dams in little rivers and streams."

over a year ago

"Playing British bull dog up the local park with streets of kids

Making mud pies

Playing knock and run down the streets

Baking my grannie and fruit cakes

Making glue out of flour and water

Finding my parents porn mags and reading the story's

Laying down infront of an open doorway watching the rain come down with my brother

Collecting snails from the garden and putting them in jars

Swimming down the local river

Making dens and camp fires

Walking or biking for miles with my best friend but having to be back by tea time

Playing spin the bottle

Being pen pals with other kids

Pressing flowers

Playing horses with broomsticks after watching zoro on telly

Scrumping nuts from the vicars drive way

Dressing my dog up in clothes

Going to Sunday school for the free chocolate bar "

Now that's what you call a childhood..I also have memories like that..happy days

over a year ago

When me n my best m8 were 11-12 we both had leather jackets we wore specially to go into empty building sites n run about the scaffold/houses chucking handfuls of nails at each other......used to love a good nail fight!

Also used to play our version of soldiers.......puffer jacket each(fashion at the time!)..a .22 air rifle each then pick respective 'cover' 200 yards or so from each other.......ahhhhh back in the day!Happy times pmsl

By *lshere77Man
over a year ago

Wigan

I used to piss the bed alot till I was around 3 years old

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"I was a weird child (especially for a girl haha) I used to build stuff... All the time!! My dad bought me a proper tool kit for my 6th birthday and I constantly used things I found on the streets to make things... Like bits of breeze block or old pipe where the council hadn't cleared up after building works, or scrap wood and metal sheets, coloured nylon rope etc. Wind chimes, picture frames, wooden cut outs that I'd paint animals on, bracelets (made from braiding ropes and melting the ends together) generally I was a very resourceful and artistic child haha

My biggest love of all though was by far my mountain bike - I was never seen anywhere without it and my parents would allow me to go wherever I wanted if I had it where I had to stay within the estate on foot lol"

I had my tool set taken off me, due to sawing the dining table chair legs. Back then toy tool sets had real blades in the saw.

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

Pinched blankets to take to the woods at the back of the house to make camp and pretend I was Stig of the dump

Picked bluebells and cowslips to sell by the bunch at the side of the road. (when I wasn't eating the cowslip flowers).

Spent hours at the rubbish tip a minute up the road from us trawling.

Spent even more hours in the fields behind that tip hunting Adders.

Living in the middle of nowhere was fookin' awesome!!

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

Playing doctor and nurses in a tent always,s been a horny bugger now kid,s just watch porn and wank not like the real thing is it We were just kid,s growing up

over a year ago

I remember in the holidays making our own flyers for jumble sale posting them to all houses on our estate and saying we had a sale on our front door step, we would have a sheet on step then all old and partly broken toys books even stuff from round house of my mum n dads, weeven made our own roller cola perfume lol, selling them for no more than 20p. So we could run the shop later in day and buy sweets. Hahaha them where the days!!

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

near where I grew up there was a very well stocked fish farm. Surrounded by a tall mesh fence. We used to climb the trees near this fence, taking fishing rods and casting into the fish farm!

that was just one of our many exploits

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Scrumping. .......for cars

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

"Scrumping. .......for cars "

lololololololololllll

over a year ago

"Pinched blankets to take to the woods at the back of the house to make camp and pretend I was Stig of the dump

Picked bluebells and cowslips to sell by the bunch at the side of the road. (when I wasn't eating the cowslip flowers).

Spent hours at the rubbish tip a minute up the road from us trawling.

Spent even more hours in the fields behind that tip hunting Adders.

Living in the middle of nowhere was fookin' awesome!!"

Have to agree being a country lad.....

over a year ago

"Scrumping. .......for cars "

Hahaha....belter!

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

over a year ago

often think about the difference between my summer holidays and my kids - we used to as a group, go to the park on our bikes - carrier bag with butties and bottle of squash - house keys and maybe money for ice cream - all this stuff would be dumped in a heap - no bike locks - and we would go off and play leaving it - not a soul would touch the bikes -nor take the money or keys - nowadays kids are pushed off their bikes and bikes ridden away - sad how times have chnged

Post new Message to Thread