Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Life should mean life?

Jump to newest

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I am talking about careers!

I remember my parents talking about jobs and how they were for life.

How many times have you switched jobs/ careers and was it for the better in each case?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

After doing the same job since leaving school, I'm now setting up on my own in a totally different field.

Whether it's for the better or not, only time and potential success will tell

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"After doing the same job since leaving school, I'm now setting up on my own in a totally different field.

Whether it's for the better or not, only time and potential success will tell"

Great! What drove you to doing that and presumably taking an element of risk?

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I worked in pubs for a long time and then eventually became a relief manager for whitbread but I was working shitty hours and drinking too much so when a simple job in a deli came up I left the pub trade, then left that job for another similar but full time hours/supervisor role. I was there 5 years before l left to have my son. Due to go back in a few weeks but only as part time. It will be weird not being in charge and bossing everyone about.

over a year ago

Very long story but a mixture of no longer enjoying what I do and not enough work to viably keep me in the job.

There is risk involved, I'm having sleepless nights over whether I'm making the right move but I've got to try, lest I regret not doing so and condemning myself to another 20 years of servitude spin something I've had enough of.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I worked in pubs for a long time and then eventually became a relief manager for whitbread but I was working shitty hours and drinking too much so when a simple job in a deli came up I left the pub trade, then left that job for another similar but full time hours/supervisor role. I was there 5 years before l left to have my son. Due to go back in a few weeks but only as part time. It will be weird not being in charge and bossing everyone about. "
Bet there are things you won t miss about being full time

over a year ago

Yeah I switched jobs at 19 I went from £95 a week to 33k a year.

Do I regret it? Not in the slightest.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Yeah I switched jobs at 19 I went from £95 a week to 33k a year.

"

Cool - I think pay is an important consideration in the decision to jump ship.

Are there other reasons why people change career?

over a year ago

Being in the wrong one for them to begin with.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"I worked in pubs for a long time and then eventually became a relief manager for whitbread but I was working shitty hours and drinking too much so when a simple job in a deli came up I left the pub trade, then left that job for another similar but full time hours/supervisor role. I was there 5 years before l left to have my son. Due to go back in a few weeks but only as part time. It will be weird not being in charge and bossing everyone about. Bet there are things you won t miss about being full time "

Yes the early starts in the winter were harsh, but the actual hours didn't really bother me. Can't do them now though have to work around my boy he starts school in September so that'll make things a bit easier c

over a year ago

Are there other reasons why people change career? "

I was training as a gas engineer with just my boss and myself working as a duo.

We used to charge £50 for a full gas safety check, we were being under cut by unregistered guys going around doing the same for £20.

I started at 16 and just saw things getting worse in the construction trade, so when the opportunity came up I jumped ship.

I've still got all the skills I learned and I was the last year to learn lead welding and bossing, so it wasn't a waste of time plus I get a lot more time off now. 4 days holiday bags me 12 days off in total.

Pay

Reliability

Those were the deciding factors for me

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Are there other reasons why people change career?

I was training as a gas engineer with just my boss and myself working as a duo.

We used to charge £50 for a full gas safety check, we were being under cut by unregistered guys going around doing the same for £20.

I started at 16 and just saw things getting worse in the construction trade, so when the opportunity came up I jumped ship.

I've still got all the skills I learned and I was the last year to learn lead welding and bossing, so it wasn't a waste of time plus I get a lot more time off now. 4 days holiday bags me 12 days off in total.

Pay

Reliability

Those were the deciding factors for me "

Pay and reliability/ security of income are hugely important, especially if you have others depending on you.

I am also curious to hear if anybody changed career "just because they could", got bored or whatever else?

over a year ago

"Very long story but a mixture of no longer enjoying what I do and not enough work to viably keep me in the job.

There is risk involved, I'm having sleepless nights over whether I'm making the right move but I've got to try, lest I regret not doing so and condemning myself to another 20 years of servitude spin something I've had enough of."

Snap! Ive always worked in an office environment...but after getting fed up with the stress/pressure/unrealistic deadlines/working with douchebags/office beurocracy and so on, I made the difficult decision to leave my ridiculously well paid job and retrain to learn a skill where I can set up my own business from home. Its early days yet...and I'm with you on the sleepless nights...but if I dont do it now i never will! And so far so good...

Good Luck

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

up till I moved down south I was in a new job every 6 months as I got bored of the old one. I used to joke that the longest I stayed in a job was a year, since working in the airport I have been there for 2 companies over a period of 15 years. There are still jobs that are for life, but you have to find them.

over a year ago

My career evolved really, with three major shifts. One after a year, another 3 years later, then another 5 years after that. At that point I set up my own business and haven't looked back once except to make sense of the journey. At that point I recognised the underlying purpose to my journey and set about fulfilling it intentionally. I love my work and it affords me the quality of life I desire, as well as the balance I need. I am very fortunate and thankful to those who've helped and guided my on my way

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I have changed career (at least) three times if considering the major change of direction and there were several factors involved including how, for the best part of 15 years,I could work full-time without neglecting my children. Another consideration was pay but more importantly, I got a bit bored with what I was doing and it felt like time for a new challenge.

over a year ago

"I have changed career (at least) three times if considering the major change of direction and there were several factors involved including how, for the best part of 15 years,I could work full-time without neglecting my children. Another consideration was pay but more importantly, I got a bit bored with what I was doing and it felt like time for a new challenge. "

I deal with the boredom aspect by learning some new skills and changing the focus of my work for a bit. Somehow it has always worked out

Post new Message to Thread