Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

More bad news for the UKIPs

Jump to newest

By *dwalu2 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

So it seems that Alan Harris, standing for UKIP in Oxford West & Abingdon, made a series of very ugly racist Facebook posts between 2011 and 2013.

Actually, does that count as bad news? UKIP supporters are racists anyway, so presumably that makes him a better candidate?

Well, it all depends if he makes it to election day without resigning, of course. Which would be the decent thing to do.

But then 'decent' and 'UKIP' seem to be oil and water anyway, so who knows?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

UKIP's press office must have a panic attack every time his phone rings...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm sure if you go back 4 years you'll find dirt on every other party too

over a year ago

"So it seems that Alan Harris, standing for UKIP in Oxford West & Abingdon, made a series of very ugly racist Facebook posts between 2011 and 2013.

Actually, does that count as bad news? UKIP supporters are racists anyway, so presumably that makes him a better candidate?

Well, it all depends if he makes it to election day without resigning, of course. Which would be the decent thing to do.

But then 'decent' and 'UKIP' seem to be oil and water anyway, so who knows? "

Though ukip may attract some racist voters, I'm not sure all ukip voters are racist.....

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

This will have no effect on those that support them. It's not more bad news for UKIP, it is just more standard UKIP stories.

We have 33 days left and there will be "revelations" about every party and their candidates for the next 32 of them.

over a year ago

Yeah not all UKip voters are racist, racists tend to use these parties as an excuse to be racist that's all.

My mum was going to vote BNP ages ago because she wanted out of the EU, she definitely isn't racist but didn't know that party was. Think because the BNP weren't allowed to be racist and focused on other things she never heard about any of the racism, disablism and that.

over a year ago

None of the other partys are squeaky clean so you can't just have a go at ukip . I don't trust any of them so I don't know which way to vote , bring back screaming Lord sutch

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"So it seems that Alan Harris, standing for UKIP in Oxford West & Abingdon, made a series of very ugly racist Facebook posts between 2011 and 2013.

Though ukip may attract some racist voters, I'm not sure all ukip voters are racist....."

I think you are right. But there is a collective attitude about a significant number of kippers that that is overtly Nationaistic. Now there is nothing wrong with being Nationalistic and proud but the overspill is that many also use that train of thought to carry through an assumption that the EU is wrong, foreigners being here are wrong etc etc.

Many seem unwilling to want to understand deeper complications of problems and don't want to imagine any kind of negative reactions to actions that UKIP propose. They appear to prefer simple yes/no, black/white, on/off solutions.

Someone once described UKIP supporters as simple people who prefer simple politics and who seek simple solutions. Whilst it is somewhat a crass generalisation, I get the point. There are always going to be a number of people like this in society spread across the entire country and this means that the UKIP vote will be relatively high percentage wise but not great enough to meaningfully affect the polls in the vast majority of constituencies.

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan
over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

Let's be honest about the way politics works now days, the whole thing is being stage managed and we the voters have no real choice, we have gone from people who have done well in life wanting to represent the people they have in there communities to career politicans who haven't a clue, at least UKip the various nationalist parties etc will brake up the current monopoly that the governing classes have and might just inject a little real world back into politics.

over a year ago

Though ukip may attract some racist voters, I'm not sure all ukip voters are racist.....

I think you are right. But there is a collective attitude about a significant number of kippers that that is overtly Nationaistic. Now there is nothing wrong with being Nationalistic and proud but the overspill is that many also use that train of thought to carry through an assumption that the EU is wrong, foreigners being here are wrong etc etc.

Many seem unwilling to want to understand deeper complications of problems and don't want to imagine any kind of negative reactions to actions that UKIP propose. They appear to prefer simple yes/no, black/white, on/off solutions.

Someone once described UKIP supporters as simple people who prefer simple politics and who seek simple solutions. Whilst it is somewhat a crass generalisation, I get the point. There are always going to be a number of people like this in society spread across the entire country and this means that the UKIP vote will be relatively high percentage wise but not great enough to meaningfully affect the polls in the vast majority of constituencies."

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/04/15 10:12:19]

over a year ago

"Let's be honest about the way politics works now days, the whole thing is being stage managed and we the voters have no real choice, we have gone from people who have done well in life wanting to represent the people they have in there communities to career politicans who haven't a clue, at least UKip the various nationalist parties etc will brake up the current monopoly that the governing classes have and might just inject a little real world back into politics. "

I agree with you on politics but other stuff idk, i don't really want people who look down on others running things on my behalf, seeing as i've always been near the bottom of the pile most of the time.

I'd like to see more people who have experienced life and seen real struggles and just have a broader amount of experience within our population itself then they'd at least stop generalising about types of people because they haven't a clue about them. This goes for all parties.

over a year ago

"UKIP supporters are racists anyway"

Bit of a drastic sweeping statement that. Thing is, I don't remember meeting you, I mean, you must know all of us ukip supporters personally to make that statement. I support ukip as I don't believe this country can move forward whilst shackled by the eu. No racist agenda here. 5 years of a ukip government is a small price to pay to be out of the gravy train, then let another party have another go free from the shackles

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"Let's be honest about the way politics works now days, the whole thing is being stage managed and we the voters have no real choice, we have gone from people who have done well in life wanting to represent the people they have in there communities to career politicans who haven't a clue, at least UKip the various nationalist parties etc will brake up the current monopoly that the governing classes have and might just inject a little real world back into politics. "

mmmm.... people like Neil Hamilton

over a year ago

I'm not sure that there is such a thing as bad press for ukip anymore. They have been repeatedly shown to be a one policy party with no depth and a startling lack of candidates that can do anything other than burble vaiguely racist or mysoginistic comments. Yet their support grows, I can only conclude that these moments are drawing supporters and like minded individuals. I'm hoping that come polling day this is all so much empty noise and Nigel farage will find himself a laughing stock

over a year ago

They're anything but a one policy party. Just check their website. They list loads of policies there. The eu is their focal point, much as labours is pro immigration. Nobody call them a 1 trick pony

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Though ukip may attract some racist voters, I'm not sure all ukip voters are racist....."

Agree, as the man who shares my life and is working on a future for us is a ukip supporter. A racist would hardly be planning a future with a black woman.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Someone once described UKIP supporters as simple people who prefer simple politics and who seek simple solutions. Whilst it is somewhat a crass generalisation, I get the point. There are always going to be a number of people like this in society spread across the entire country and this means that the UKIP vote will be relatively high percentage wise but not great enough to meaningfully affect the polls in the vast majority of constituencies."

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

It's not often that I disagree with you but on this one I think you are wrong.

Ukip are polling at around 15% nationally but their vote isn't evenly spread. In Scotland Ukip are virtually non existent and in London quite weak which means they must be stronger in other areas.

I expect Ukip to do quite well in places like Kent, Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Lincolnshire (keep an eye on Rotherham and Rochdale as well BTW) and I'm sure they will get more than the two seats that people such as Sky news are predicting. I expect them to pick up somewhere around ten or a dozen seats.

As for the OP. I'm not at all surprised and with the unprecedented level of scrutiny being aimed at Ukip at the moment, I fully expect more will be found before polling day.

Just a pity the same microscope isn't being focused as sharply on the other party's.

over a year ago

One thing that's impressed me about Farage, any hint of wrongdoing by members of his party and they are out.

No questions, no excuses, no procrastination.

A shame the major parties don't share that ethic.

I read one of our MPs the other day telling us all we should get receipts for all work done in our homes, cleaners and the bloke that cuts my hedge to stop tax dodgers.

Number 1 a lack of receipt doesn't automatically mean the individual isn't paying tax.

Number 2 this was the same politician who was caught making expenses claims without receipts.

The hypocracy of some of them beggars belief sometimes.

over a year ago

Not all UKIP supporters are racist, though some are, as are supporters of other 'mainstream parties'.

The real issue with UKIP is that they are a very right wing party who are managing to play down their right wig policies to attracting the attention, and votes, of angry former left wing voters who do not see past the populist headline policies.

If they get a degree of power, the average working person in this country will see an increase in privatisation of public services, a health service that will be cut to the bone, the welfare state dismantled etc.

Please, everyone, read their manifesto and question it. Do not be fooled by Mr Farage and his 'ordinary bloke' act.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Slightly off topic.... but the other day Anita's 93 year old gran said she would vote for "that party who wants to send all the foreigners home".....

Isn't it amazing how the country has changed in the last 93 years

over a year ago

"They're anything but a one policy party. Just check their website. They list loads of policies there. The eu is their focal point, much as labours is pro immigration. Nobody call them a 1 trick pony"

Yes they have policies, they also have a manifesto, how much of it is workable? How much of it in real world terms would ever pass legislation?

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

UKIP and HS2 for example.

It is a waste of money (populist concept)

We cant afford £50 billion (populist concept)

What is the alternative Mr Farage?.........

Uhm....... Upgrade the existing line?

The issue with the WCML is that it is already at full capacity. Upgrading the line does not alter capacity. Building a new network doubles the capacity (at least).

It is a typical UKIP policy to object to something (like HS2 as an example) and suggest that the reaction to their proposed action is not really worth talking about. The HS2 issue is important because there is more at stake than simply a line upgrade, unfortunately that involves the studying and assessment of passenger traffic, forecasts and individual train capacity and spacing. Much too hard to contemplate. Easier to say - just upgrade the existing line.

over a year ago

"They're anything but a one policy party. Just check their website. They list loads of policies there. The eu is their focal point, much as labours is pro immigration. Nobody call them a 1 trick pony

Yes they have policies, they also have a manifesto, how much of it is workable? How much of it in real world terms would ever pass legislation?"

Like I said earlier, have them for 5 years, then let someone else back in, they wouldn't be any worse than anyone else, difference being that they would get us out of the beurocratic old boys club, leaving us to concentrate on our own laws. I work within the import/export game. We do more trade with emerging economies than Europe. Being in the eu costs you and I a he'll of a lot more than it benefits us

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"They're anything but a one policy party. Just check their website. They list loads of policies there. The eu is their focal point, much as labours is pro immigration. Nobody call them a 1 trick pony

Yes they have policies, they also have a manifesto, how much of it is workable? How much of it in real world terms would ever pass legislation?Like I said earlier, have them for 5 years, then let someone else back in, they wouldn't be any worse than anyone else, difference being that they would get us out of the beurocratic old boys club, leaving us to concentrate on our own laws. I work within the import/export game. We do more trade with emerging economies than Europe. Being in the eu costs you and I a he'll of a lot more than it benefits us"

There is no chance of UKIP getting into power and if you really want to have a say in getting out of the EU, you should vote conservative. The conservatives are the only party offering a referendum on Europe if they get a majority government. Voting UKIP disproprtionately dilutes the conservative vote and you will end up with a minority conservative (or Labour) government who would not be able to have the referendum because of coalition objections.

Dreaming of a UKIP government is not even a fantasy, it is completely delusional I'm afraid.

over a year ago

They are All lying every which one of them, but me I vote UKIP to kick the others up the arse !

over a year ago

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"

Though ukip may attract some racist voters, I'm not sure all ukip voters are racist..... "

You don't have to be racist to vote UKIP, but anyone who starts a conversation with 'I'm not racist, but...' I immediately suspect of being a UKIP voter.

over a year ago

"One thing that's impressed me about Farage, any hint of wrongdoing by members of his party and they are out.

No questions, no excuses, no procrastination.

A shame the major parties don't share that ethic."

Well he does get lots of practice

over a year ago

"They're anything but a one policy party. Just check their website. They list loads of policies there. The eu is their focal point, much as labours is pro immigration. Nobody call them a 1 trick pony"

Do they still want to make the circle line a circle again?, reintroduce 1930's dress on the GWR? and bring back the cane in schools?

over a year ago

Lib/lab/con will NEVER have a referendum. Just look where their funding comes from, UK plc, whose multi billion pounds profits rely on the UK being in the eu. The only way the conservatives will hold a referendum, is as part of a ukip coalition. I know we'll never see a ukip majority government, but don't believe all that bs about a vote for ukip being a wasted vote. They're quickly becoming a fourth credible party. Not so long ago a vote for lib dem was considered a waste, and we've just had them in a coalition for 5 years

over a year ago

Do they still want to make the circle line a circle again?, reintroduce 1930's dress on the GWR? and bring back the cane in schools?"

Go read the policies,instead of making up shit.

over a year ago

" There are always going to be a number of people like this in society spread across the entire country and this means that the UKIP vote will be relatively high percentage wise but not great enough to meaningfully affect the polls in the vast majority of constituencies.

It's not often that I disagree with you but on this one I think you are wrong.

Ukip are polling at around 15% nationally but their vote isn't evenly spread. In Scotland Ukip are virtually non existent and in London quite weak which means they must be stronger in other areas.

I expect Ukip to do quite well in places like Kent, Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Lincolnshire (keep an eye on Rotherham and Rochdale as well BTW) and I'm sure they will get more than the two seats that people such as Sky news are predicting. I expect them to pick up somewhere around ten or a dozen seats.

"

They're smart in targeting the kind of run down middle-class shithole facades which have seen better days but I can see them tailing off as a footnote, it's not a party it's a leader cult so here's interesting article about Farage...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/28/nigel-farage-ukip-south-thanet-marina-oloughlin?CMP=share_btn_tw

over a year ago

Do they still want to make the circle line a circle again?, reintroduce 1930's dress on the GWR? and bring back the cane in schools?Go read the policies,instead of making up shit."

They're from the ukip 2010 manifesto

over a year ago

Do they still want to make the circle line a circle again?, reintroduce 1930's dress on the GWR? and bring back the cane in schools?"

Didn't see that on the website, go check for yourself to make sure though. But bringing back the cane isn't a bad idea tbh. I'd have a conversation about it with you, but I fear I may get a "you homophobic, racist, fachist Maggie Thatcher lover" left wing bashing

By *dwalu2 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

How does the old saying go?

"You don't have to be a racist to be a UKIP supporter, but it helps!"

I think that is on a motivational poster hanging in the garage at Nigel Farage's house. For some reason it's printed across a picture of a kitten clinging on to a branch.

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"UKIP and HS2 for example.

It is a waste of money (populist concept)

We cant afford £50 billion (populist concept)

What is the alternative Mr Farage?.........

Uhm....... Upgrade the existing line?

The issue with the WCML is that it is already at full capacity. Upgrading the line does not alter capacity. Building a new network doubles the capacity (at least).

It is a typical UKIP policy to object to something (like HS2 as an example) and suggest that the reaction to their proposed action is not really worth talking about. The HS2 issue is important because there is more at stake than simply a line upgrade, unfortunately that involves the studying and assessment of passenger traffic, forecasts and individual train capacity and spacing. Much too hard to contemplate. Easier to say - just upgrade the existing line."

I understand where you are coming from with HS2 and the extra capacity would be handy, but the cost is horrendous.

I sometimes wonder if some people realise what a billion actually is. It is one thousand million or 1,000,000,000 but tag the little word billion on the end of a small number two, twelve, fifty or whatever and suddenly it becomes something trivial that can be pretty much chucked at anything. "Oh it's only 12 billion for foreign aid" or "it's only 17 billion to the EU or "it's only 50 billion for HS2" These are massive (even by government standards) amounts of money.

The cost of HS2 alone would build around a hundred hospitals or a few hundred schools, but no, it all has to be spent on knocking half an hour off the London/Birmingham route.

HS2 is nothing more than a political vanity project (akin to Spanish airports) which will waste 50,000,000,000 that Britain cannot afford.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

".

The cost of HS2 alone would build around a hundred hospitals or a few hundred schools, but no, it all has to be spent on knocking half an hour off the London/Birmingham route.

HS2 is nothing more than a political vanity project (akin to Spanish airports) which will waste 50,000,000,000 that Britain cannot afford.

"

this..

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS
over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

tho i dont support any party and wont be voting, at least UKIP have had the balls to address the immigration problem . that hardly makes them ,or all their supporters racist.what a dumb thing to say

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/04/15 16:42:08]

By *illyrocCouple
over a year ago

north west

You sound like a Tory voter running scared of ukip labelling every ukip voter racist get real we know a lot of there policies are not for real but at least he says it how it is when he speaks not like the divering Cameron with his same old bullshite stats and looking cowardly on a TV debate

By *dwalu2 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

A Tory voter? I'd sooner cut my own hand off.

Anyone daft enough to think that Farage 'tells it like it is', as opposed to playing up to the section of the electorate stupid enough to mistake his act for 'telling it like it is', is exactly the sort of person UKIP are seeking to appeal to.

There's a lid for every pot, as they say.

Post new Message to Thread