Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What a t*wat

Jump to newest

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

Miliband you arse! He says zero hours contracts are a blight on the nation - that they are a national scandal - a disgrace! ... And now, he's saying he'll make companies give workers a contact after 3 months. Great Mr Miliband, you political buffoon! You are not even in government and are already showing the spine of a slug.

Zero hour contracts are shit, and yet you can stand there pretending you are a workers party, and are going to enforce companies to do this? They are going to fire people/not take people on after 2 months 29 days Mr Miliband.

Thoughts?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Miliband you arse! He says zero hours contracts are a blight on the nation - that they are a national scandal - a disgrace! ... And now, he's saying he'll make companies give workers a contact after 3 months. Great Mr Miliband, you political buffoon! You are not even in government and are already showing the spine of a slug.

Zero hour contracts are shit, and yet you can stand there pretending you are a workers party, and are going to enforce companies to do this? They are going to fire people/not take people on after 2 months 29 days Mr Miliband.

Thoughts? "

Well, they won't be firing them if their on a zero hours contract. They'll just not be getting any regular hours.

over a year ago

I think Guy Fawkes had the right idea this country has been on a down ward slippery slope since Maggie

Politicians haven't got a clue....

It's the every day folk that work their arses off on a daily basis to keep a roof over the familys' head and food on the table that have to deal with the shitty decisions the politicians make with no choice or say in anything

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

If you condemn zero hour contracts but do nothing about them then the condemnation is pretty meaningless.

We've been through this with maternity leave and other things that give workers rights. People adjust.

over a year ago

"

Thoughts? "

Sounds excellent. I might one day get the job I want with a minimum number of hours, in an industry that is currently stuffed with zero-hour contracts with no stability.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I think Guy Fawkes had the right idea this country has been on a down ward slippery slope since Maggie

Politicians haven't got a clue....

It's the every day folk that work their arses off on a daily basis to keep a roof over the familys' head and food on the table that have to deal with the shitty decisions the politicians make with no choice or say in anything "

Speak out - not here but to your local candidates. Speak out with others who hold your view. Vote and keep in touch with what is happening.

over a year ago

Like it or not, Maggie was a conviction politician. She had her beliefs,( many of which I didn't agree with) and she stuck with them.

Now all we have are career politicians who will say whatever they think we want to hear in order to keep themselves in a job

over a year ago

I wasn't referring to myself I count myself lucky as I am self employed

I always vote though and live in a very small area we rarely get anybody canvassing...

over a year ago

Im on a zero hours contract,have been for 2 years as there is no full time class 1 jobs around here.One week it can be 60 hours + the next 20.You cannot budget and some weeks worry if you will get in a full week.Id like Cameron and his family survive on one as you get no help off the state when im stood down.I could go and sign on but im a proud man and want to provide,its the way i was brought up but sometimes you do wonder..!

over a year ago

Not making excuses for the planks running the country but it does say if you work regular hours on zero hr contract ie work 20 hrs a week for 12 weeks u should get a 20 hr contract so what will happen is your hours will drop for a few weeks every 12 weeks

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Im on a zero hours contract,have been for 2 years as there is no full time class 1 jobs around here.One week it can be 60 hours + the next 20.You cannot budget and some weeks worry if you will get in a full week.Id like Cameron and his family survive on one as you get no help off the state when im stood down.I could go and sign on but im a proud man and want to provide,its the way i was brought up but sometimes you do wonder..!"

You'd have difficulty signing on now as a zero hour contract is a job.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

The rhetoric is just abysmal. I clearly remember him saying 'I will end zero hours contracts'.. now he is legitimising them as not only source of labour, but as a tenable way for employers to recruit!

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

It's a start and it's more than the Tories are offering.

over a year ago

i wonder if the 2 million new jobs camoron says he's going to create are all zero hr contracts or minimum wage

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"Miliband you arse! He says zero hours contracts are a blight on the nation - that they are a national scandal - a disgrace! ... And now, he's saying he'll make companies give workers a contact after 3 months. Great Mr Miliband, you political buffoon! You are not even in government and are already showing the spine of a slug.

Thoughts? "

You are absolutely correct in your assessment. I have a zero hours contract and that gives me income. It allows the firm flexibility with their full time staff in that when they need holidays and there is a minimum staff I can help out and allow staff to have the holiday dates they want. It also gives the firm additional support when things get busy or when there is sickness etc.

A Labour government? God help us all.

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

"i wonder if the 2 million new jobs camoron says he's going to create are all zero hr contracts or minimum wage"

Probably both.

Love the way you spelt his name!

As for Miliband, like it was said before, it's a start and a bit more security for people trying their best to get by.

over a year ago

As ever, a blanket ban will not be the appropriate solution. I can imagine businesses who do rely on zero hours contracts because the nature of their work is such that they can't guarantee the level of staffing they will need at different points. They would probably stop taking people on at all, and then nobody has any work. The businesses who are exploiting zero hours contracts currently who shouldn't be, would just find another way to exploit their workers.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

Thoughts?

You are absolutely correct in your assessment. I have a zero hours contract and that gives me income. It allows the firm flexibility with their full time staff in that when they need holidays and there is a minimum staff I can help out and allow staff to have the holiday dates they want. It also gives the firm additional support when things get busy or when there is sickness etc.

A Labour government? God help us all."

He just can't even give a false promise though. Weak, mindless, errand boy.

over a year ago

am i wrong in thinking if a business cannot afford to give its workers a living wage it should not be in business at all ?????

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"As ever, a blanket ban will not be the appropriate solution. I can imagine businesses who do rely on zero hours contracts because the nature of their work is such that they can't guarantee the level of staffing they will need at different points. They would probably stop taking people on at all, and then nobody has any work. The businesses who are exploiting zero hours contracts currently who shouldn't be, would just find another way to exploit their workers."

there are plenty of other contracts available. Part time, flexi time, shift cover, temp cover, agency?

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

* dont know the names of them but there are different contracts other than full and part time.

over a year ago

"As ever, a blanket ban will not be the appropriate solution. I can imagine businesses who do rely on zero hours contracts because the nature of their work is such that they can't guarantee the level of staffing they will need at different points. They would probably stop taking people on at all, and then nobody has any work. The businesses who are exploiting zero hours contracts currently who shouldn't be, would just find another way to exploit their workers.

there are plenty of other contracts available. Part time, flexi time, shift cover, temp cover, agency? "

I don't see how temp cover or agency contracts provides those workers with any more protection or stability than zero hours?

Flexi time and part time wouldn't be relevant in the situation I'm talking about.

over a year ago

"* dont know the names of them but there are different contracts other than full and part time. "

I know there are, I have worked most types of them at some point in my life. I do think inappropriate zero hours contracts shouldn't be allowed, btw. But there are SOME circumstances where I think they are appropriate, and there are SOME people who do want them. A straightforward ban is not the answer.

over a year ago

Any contract is surely better than no contract?

Less than 2% of the working population have zero hours contracts.

over a year ago

Has everyone forgot it was Labour who introduced zero hour contracts in the first place?

So milliband will only take away what they put in the first place.

As for 3 months that is the legal notice for change of contract. So you still can be stuffed and you will not get a mortgage from it.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"* dont know the names of them but there are different contracts other than full and part time.

I know there are, I have worked most types of them at some point in my life. I do think inappropriate zero hours contracts shouldn't be allowed, btw. But there are SOME circumstances where I think they are appropriate, and there are SOME people who do want them. A straightforward ban is not the answer."

With the vast majority of work, you are offered protection. You are offered National insurance contributions, you are offered at least advanced notice of days when you will be required to work, not just turn up and told to go home after an hour if you are not needed. There is also tribunal protection should you be unfairly dismissed, such is our legal right in the UK. These basic rights are not covered under zero hours contracts.

The thread was in regard to a politician that is NOT YET in government, that is trying to win the favour of the workers, that has previously said in parliament, that he would make it illegal for companies to use zero hours contracts, not now saying that he would effectively support their use. It is quite an interesting topic given the political parties available, and quite laughable, seen as right now at least, all parties are trying their best to win favour - even if they renege on their promises. He is being outwardly shitty at least.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"Any contract is surely better than no contract?

Less than 2% of the working population have zero hours contracts.

"

2% ....... and 1% own the worlds wealth. Should we have a party on that?

over a year ago

"* dont know the names of them but there are different contracts other than full and part time.

I know there are, I have worked most types of them at some point in my life. I do think inappropriate zero hours contracts shouldn't be allowed, btw. But there are SOME circumstances where I think they are appropriate, and there are SOME people who do want them. A straightforward ban is not the answer.

With the vast majority of work, you are offered protection. You are offered National insurance contributions, you are offered at least advanced notice of days when you will be required to work, not just turn up and told to go home after an hour if you are not needed. There is also tribunal protection should you be unfairly dismissed, such is our legal right in the UK. These basic rights are not covered under zero hours contracts.

The thread was in regard to a politician that is NOT YET in government, that is trying to win the favour of the workers, that has previously said in parliament, that he would make it illegal for companies to use zero hours contracts, not now saying that he would effectively support their use. It is quite an interesting topic given the political parties available, and quite laughable, seen as right now at least, all parties are trying their best to win favour - even if they renege on their promises. He is being outwardly shitty at least. "

I know. My point is I had none of those protections while doing agency work, or temping, or if self employed. You don't have to keep explaining zero hours contracts to me, that doesn't negate the fact that there ARE some businesses and some employees who they ARE suitable for.

If you believed anything Miliband says either before the campaigning started or now, you're a bigger fool than him.

over a year ago

*Gets chair and popcorn*

Him

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

The thread was in regard to a politician that is NOT YET in government, that is trying to win the favour of the workers, that has previously said in parliament, that he would make it illegal for companies to use zero hours contracts, not now saying that he would effectively support their use. It is quite an interesting topic given the political parties available, and quite laughable, seen as right now at least, all parties are trying their best to win favour - even if they renege on their promises. He is being outwardly shitty at least.

I know. My point is I had none of those protections while doing agency work, or temping, or if self employed. You don't have to keep explaining zero hours contracts to me, that doesn't negate the fact that there ARE some businesses and some employees who they ARE suitable for.

If you believed anything Miliband says either before the campaigning started or now, you're a bigger fool than him."

Dear all knowledgeable one, any need for name calling?

Sincerely,

All members of the open minded debate club.

over a year ago

If you believed anything Miliband says either before the campaigning started or now, you're a bigger fool than him.

Sincerely,

All members of the open minded debate club. "

Woah. Who have I name called except Milliband as a fool? And you've referred to him as a twat in the thread title!

I am not claiming to be all knowledgeable about anything. Your response to all of my points was just to repeat what the problems with zero hours contracts are back to me. None of which problems I was disputing, but I still don't agree that an outright ban on that type of contract is the answer.

Perhaps you have trouble with anyone making a comment in anyway contrary to your opinion, which doesn't sound particularly open minded or a recipe for a good debate.

over a year ago

For all the crap about which government is doing/has done/will do whatever....

None of it has ever affected me....I've just kinda gotten on in life while taking no notice of politics......it doesn't seem to affect me which government is in, they're all basically the same thing.

By *ipswingCouple
over a year ago

portrush

remember .. no matter who you vote for .. a politician always gets in ...

By *ot monkey71Couple
over a year ago

middlesbrough

Thoughts? "

My advice for what its worth, do not get involved in politics, its all bull sh1t and its bad for ya.

over a year ago

"And you've referred to him as a twat in the thread title!

"

Well technically, the OP didn't call him a twat. He mis-spelled twat by putting an additional asterisk instead of replacing a letter.

Difficult to argue with someone who can't spell twat.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

If the economy is as prosperous as some try hard to spin, in this election time, then businesses must be comfortable enough to be able to afford providing their staff with proper employment, rather than toy town jobs.

I think many of us know that the so-called prosperity is really only there for the very well off, the 1%, rather than the majority.

The people who argue against giving staff proper contracts seem to forget that most employee protection was lost a while ago, under the Conservatives. Just because someone has terms that provide some guaranteed hours and conditions, they can still largely be made redundant up until 2 years of service, without the organisation paying them any redundancy.

Having a race to the bottom, with even less pay, reduced benefits and staff who are under duress, as they are less able to commit to contracts with business providers, such as landlords etc, is good for no-one, but the very few. This is not to say that some people don't want total flexibility with their work: they can still refuse to take on permanent contracts - but I see that most people benefit highly from having security of employment.

So, those arguing businesses won't give guaranteed hours contracts because they can't afford, and in their next breath wanting to shout how strong the economy is - you can't have it both ways. If the economy is so strong, of course successful businesses can afford it.

It benefits everyone, from health to spending power, if people are paid and provided with appropriate benefits, rather than mickey mouse jobs. The stresses from not knowing if you're working tomorrow, possibly not even working today, is something that everyone will end up paying more for, via increased ill health and social unrest.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The zero hours culture wouldn't be quite so bad if they at least allowed people who earn very little to claim benifits too. So if you get on days work you can claim for the rest of the week. Rather than sign off and back on when they've had one four hour shift from an agency with the promise of more that just never comes.....

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

The thread was in regard to a politician that is NOT YET in government, that is trying to win the favour of the workers, that has previously said in parliament, that he would make it illegal for companies to use zero hours contracts, not now saying that he would effectively support their use. It is quite an interesting topic given the political parties available, and quite laughable, seen as right now at least, all parties are trying their best to win favour - even if they renege on their promises. He is being outwardly shitty at least. "

You do know there is an election on May 7th don't you? No one is currently in government so all of their promises are those of parties NOT YET in government (your emphasis).

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"For all the crap about which government is doing/has done/will do whatever....

None of it has ever affected me....I've just kinda gotten on in life while taking no notice of politics......it doesn't seem to affect me which government is in, they're all basically the same thing. "

There is an old saying that it doesn't matter who you vote for you always get the government.

So many people have a basic misunderstanding of our system: we vote for MPs - that is all. MPs vote for the government. The party with the biggest representation in the House of Commons assumes that position as greatest number of the MPs will vote for them.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

Sincerely,

All members of the open minded debate club.

Woah. Who have I name called except Milliband as a fool? And you've referred to him as a twat in the thread title!

I am not claiming to be all knowledgeable about anything. Your response to all of my points was just to repeat what the problems with zero hours contracts are back to me. None of which problems I was disputing, but I still don't agree that an outright ban on that type of contract is the answer.

Perhaps you have trouble with anyone making a comment in anyway contrary to your opinion, which doesn't sound particularly open minded or a recipe for a good debate. "

I have no problem with anyone having an opinion contrary to mine, only when the opinion is put in a way which seen in some way Lorded. As if no one has ever held any other position other than full time employment. People do have a range of experience and a range of experiences with employers. And, those employers who employ these types of contracts (zero hours) are probably the lowest of the low. They will in no way offer a contract after 3 months of zero hours, they will simply find a loophole not to re-employ for a period. The thread was to reflect the eunuch-like qualities Miliband has, in that, he has previously said that they are a disgrace. To now essentially mitigating their use.

If you condone their use - as you dont want to ban them, fair enough. But, opinion or not, that is just the wrong opinion.

And to mention. You did call me a name. You said I was more of a fool than Miliband. I take great offence at that. It is probably one of the biggest insults anybody could ever possibly say to someone. I (btw) am allowed to call him a twat, as, I am potentially going to be paying his fucking wages. He is putting himself out for public scrutiny. He himself has put himself on a pedestal to have people like me hold him to account when he fucks up. Not to have people associate HIS twattyness with me!!

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

He (Milliband) is being a fool for firing off half cocked as he has before on othewr issues.

Zero Hours Contracts are being made out to be some sort of huge smear on society and an epidemic that is a national disgrace.

Some facts.

Approximately 2.3% of the workforce are on ZHC. Of those people, somewhere between 20%-30% of them would want to have more hours (depending on whose stats are used)

In essence we are talking about a problem that affects 0.5% of the working population. This does not need a sledgehammer approach it needs a bit of intelligent thought and political will.

The hype surrounding zero hours contracts is massively overblown.

over a year ago

Guy Fawkes...the only man to ever enter the Houses of Parliament with honest intentions.

over a year ago

I hear ya , but something has to be done. You'd need some VERY tight laws to prevent companies from sacking people who already don't earn anything from them.

Just outlaw in the first place and stop the job centre making people employ themselves .. then you'd see the real unemployment rate.

over a year ago

If you'd like to re-read what I said, you will see that I said "IF" you believe Milliband then you are a fool. It doesn't sound like you do believe him, given that you've referred to him variously on this thread as eunuch-like and a twat. Ergo I'm not calling you a fool.

(My capitalisation is not me shouting, it is for emphasis. If bold or italics were available, I'd use them.)

I condone the existence of zero hour contracts in SOME instances, because they do work for SOME people. I know and work with some of these people, and someone has even posted on this thread who is happy with being on one.

I've acknowledged that there are many others who are not happy with being on them, and if action can be taken to help those people and provide them with appropriate employment protections then I believe it should be. But a ban is not the answer. And you yourself acknowledge that it's not the answer because unscrupulous employers will find away to get around it, as you've pointed out.

I'm not trying to 'Lord' it up over anyone. By you telling me that my opinion (which isn't actually in opposition to yours because I agreed with MOST of what you said) is 'wrong', that sounds like you believe your opinion is the only correct one. And that is a hell of a lot more like someone trying to Lord it over people than anything I have said.

I don't see how I'm suggesting that any one has never held a position other than full time

since I was reflecting on the fact that I've worked under a range of different contract types not just full time

I may disagree with someone's opinion, but you're the only person on this thread telling them that their opinion is just wrong. So actually you do have a problem with opinions other than yours.

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

My son had several zero hour contracts as he does security work at events mainly. He also does deliveries for a pizza company. He currently has no car and can't get one as the tax office are being difficult about his tax rebate.

Zero contract hours has given him his first employment and has good and bad points.

He has no commitments but I have temped and know how worrying it is not knowing what you'll do when a contract ends.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"I hear ya , but something has to be done. You'd need some VERY tight laws to prevent companies from sacking people who already don't earn anything from them.

Just outlaw in the first place and stop the job centre making people employ themselves .. then you'd see the real unemployment rate."

uuuph ... that is a bit of a talking point.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"I hear ya , but something has to be done. You'd need some VERY tight laws to prevent companies from sacking people who already don't earn anything from them.

Just outlaw in the first place and stop the job centre making people employ themselves .. then you'd see the real unemployment rate."

Why would you outlaw something that 70%-80% of the people that have, are happy with? Whichever statistics you choose to look at in the best case 20% are unhappy and the worst case 30% of only 700,000 people who have them.

In other words, of the 700,000 people on zero contracts, quite possibly only 140,000 were unhappy with them and you would want to ban them and deny the majority something they they like and find convenient?

Where is the logic in that?

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"I condone the existence of zero hour contracts in SOME instances, because they do work for SOME people. I know and work with some of these people, and someone has even posted on this thread who is happy with being on one. "

No one on this thread has said they are happy at being on one.

" And you yourself acknowledge that it's not the answer because unscrupulous employers will find away to get around it, as you've pointed out. "

Think you'll find I am more on the side of having them stuck from the record books completely.

"

I'm not trying to 'Lord' it up over anyone. By you telling me that my opinion (which isn't actually in opposition to yours because I agreed with MOST of what you said) is 'wrong', that sounds like you believe your opinion is the only correct one. And that is a hell of a lot more like someone trying to Lord it over people than anything I have said.

"

Your opinion is different to mine: you want to keep them, I want to axe them. We have a deference of opinion.

"

I may disagree with someone's opinion, but you're the only person on this thread telling them that their opinion is just wrong. So actually you do have a problem with opinions other than yours. "

Simply because of the assumption you make. Please refer to the above few points in this post.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

Thoughts? "

I thought Labour gave up pretending that they have working interests at heart in about 1997?

I don't even think they really pretend anymore do they?

A friend of my grandparents (who are now dead) recently said that the country now reminded him of the 1930s, except without any socialist option.

over a year ago

I apologise, I got mixed up with the other zero hours contract thread. I'll concede on that point.

On the rest, I stand by what I've said and I don't think you're capable of rational, reasoned or even semi-intelligent debate (I should probably have realised that from the thread title) so I'm out.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I like the idea of a deference of opinion.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"f you condone their use - as you dont want to ban them, fair enough. But, opinion or not, that is just the wrong opinion. "

This is possibly the silliest statement I have read on this forum in a long time! It is an opinion, it cannot be wrong! It may be an opinion you do not hold, but it is valid none the less..

My opinion:

If we get Millibland and Balls after the next election, we are doomed!

You may not agree, but it is what I believe. It all points to being correct, look who presided over the fiasco that took us into recession! And the same people are STILL saying they can do better than the Tories are now!

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"f you condone their use - as you dont want to ban them, fair enough. But, opinion or not, that is just the wrong opinion.

This is possibly the silliest statement I have read on this forum in a long time! It is an opinion, it cannot be wrong! It may be an opinion you do not hold, but it is valid none the less..

My opinion:

If we get Millibland and Balls after the next election, we are doomed!

You may not agree, but it is what I believe. It all points to being correct, look who presided over the fiasco that took us into recession! And the same people are STILL saying they can do better than the Tories are now! "

To be fair, we are doomed if we get the other lot (I discount the Liberals, they have shown themselves to be a joke)... Either way we are fucked.

Time for an overthrow of the system yet?

By *tevelizCouple
over a year ago

northampton

had a job with zero hours. Worked well because we did not have to stick to fixed times and could turn work down if we wanted to. Do understand that that is not for everyone, but the choice was there.

over a year ago

I lost interest in politics when screaming Lord such hung himself

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"I lost interest in politics when screaming Lord such hung himself "

I wonder what Edwina would have been like in her heyday .. though I doubt that's the vein you were running with

Post new Message to Thread