Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

SPOILER alert. Good news for Conservatives

Jump to newest

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

100 big business leaders back the coalition economic plan and warn against any change of economic policy. Rachel Reeves stumbles and fumbles her way around the headline as many of the signatories are former Labour supporters.

"100 business leaders. Labour threatens Britains economy."

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Big shock!

over a year ago

Here we go again!

over a year ago

Thanks OP for highlighting how big bosses want Tory government

I guess the working men and women of Britain should vote Labour then - as when did big business ever give a damn about the working man?

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Thanks OP for highlighting how big bosses want Tory government

I guess the working men and women of Britain should vote Labour then - as when did big business ever give a damn about the working man?"

The point is that these are the people who actually take risks with their own money to create new and/or expand their businesses and as a consequence create meaningful jobs.

Like it or not, a country needs a big private sector workforce because quite simply we can't have everyone working for the State.

You may not like business leaders, but why would you pour scorn on what these job creators say they need to create more jobs?

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"The point is that these are the people who actually take risks with their own money to create new and/or expand their businesses and as a consequence create meaningful jobs.

Like it or not, a country needs a big private sector workforce because quite simply we can't have everyone working for the State.

You may not like business leaders, but why would you pour scorn on what these job creators say they need to create more jobs? "

Please name some of these big business leaders that risk their own money that support the Tories...

I think if you do a little checking you will find the vast majority of them are executive directors of public companies who owe their positions to the block voting of financial institutions that use our money to play roulette with the worlds economy and give their mates multi million pound a year jobs!

over a year ago

I thought it was an April fools thing.

over a year ago

"100 big business leaders back the coalition economic plan and warn against any change of economic policy. Rachel Reeves stumbles and fumbles her way around the headline as many of the signatories are former Labour supporters.

"100 business leaders. Labour threatens Britains economy.""

Your still thinking with flawed ideology.

Business leaders only legal requirement is to do the best for their shareholders... That's their legal requirement, not the workers, not infrastructure, not the people, why an earth would anyone want to listen to to 100 people that legally only have the interests of shareholders at heart, that's madness.

These dinosaur ideologies you hold dear are rapidly eroding, more people now care about people thankfully and the younger generation are definitely taking up the sustainability of the eco system more as a priority than money!.

Your 20th century idea that anything is great providing its massively profitable has been seen through, time to step a side and let the next lot try to save you from yourself

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

100 big business leaders back the coalition economic plan and warn against any change of economic policy. Rachel Reeves stumbles and fumbles her way around the headline as many of the signatories are former Labour supporters.

What a load of pony !!! Fat cats trying to get fatter with the Eton boys club millionaires party aka The Tories !!

Wake up Britain Cameron and his cronies dont give a flying toss about the general public

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

These 100 people are collectively responsible for employing half a million people. Of course their responsibilities are to their shareholders - that is the whole point of business. However, I am not aware of loss making businesses that go out of their way to employ people.

Businesses need to be profitable to employ people and these 100 business leaders have endorsed the conservative led coalition economic plans as being good for businness and therfore by default, good for jobs.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"100 big business leaders back the coalition economic plan and warn against any change of economic policy. Rachel Reeves stumbles and fumbles her way around the headline as many of the signatories are former Labour supporters.

What a load of pony !!! Fat cats trying to get fatter with the Eton boys club millionaires party aka The Tories !!

Wake up Britain Cameron and his cronies dont give a flying toss about the general public "

Who employs you? Presumably you work for someone? Does that person/company/entity thrive on making a loss just to keep you in a job?

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

These 100 people are collectively responsible for employing half a million people. Of course their responsibilities are to their shareholders - that is the whole point of business. However, I am not aware of loss making businesses that go out of their way to employ people.

Businesses need to be profitable to employ people and these 100 business leaders have endorsed the conservative led coalition economic plans as being good for businness and therfore by default, good for jobs.

Come work in the public sector see how the real world is !!

over a year ago

Some people are easily bought

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Wake up Britain Cameron and his cronies dont give a flying toss about the general public

Who employs you? Presumably you work for someone? Does that person/company/entity thrive on making a loss just to keep you in a job?

No i work in public sector that Cameron is destroying privatising

By *ayandpCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

I guess the working men and women of Britain should vote Labour then - as when did big business ever give a damn about the working man?

The point is that these are the people who actually take risks with their own money to create new and/or expand their businesses and as a consequence create meaningful jobs.

You may not like business leaders, but why would you pour scorn on what these job creators say they need to create more jobs? "

To true I work for a luxury boat building firm cheapest boat 500k dearest 20million + ,they are the second biggest employer next to the dockyard in our city and expanding. We need a strong private sector ,yes they get richer beyond our dreams but they 're risking millions in doing so.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"100 business leaders. Labour threatens Britains economy.".

Business leaders only legal requirement is to do the best for their shareholders... That's their legal requirement, not the workers, not infrastructure, not the people, why an earth would anyone want to listen to to 100 people that legally only have the interests of shareholders at heart, that's madness.

These dinosaur ideologies you hold dear are rapidly eroding, more people now care about people thankfully and the younger generation are definitely taking up the sustainability of the eco system more as a priority than money!.

Your 20th century idea that anything is great providing its massively profitable has been seen through, time to step a side and let the next lot try to save you from yourself"

I don't think, I do...

As for your Green agenda - come on, get real. It is extremist poppycock and has the support of virtually no-one outside of internet forums. A green, caring, sharing world is a great fantasy that can never be realised because it flies against the very genetic make up of the human race. Get the world on board and it may have some credence but installing a green agenda in the UK alone will set us back 100 years and virtually all big business would exit. Who in their right mind can envisage a society where "meaningful work becomes less important."? Fantasy. "Completely open borders."? Fantasy. "Social housing for all."? Fantasy.

As for more and more people jumping on to the bandwagon?.....

Out of every 100 people - 95 would not vote Green (BBC poll). I would say that you have a minority view no matter how loud you shout on these forums and if I hold a "flawed" view presumably so do the other 95%?

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

No i work in public sector that Cameron is destroying privatising "

Why should the taxpayer fund a bloated and inefficient public sector? Privatisation brings efficiences and reduces waste.

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Why should the taxpayer fund a bloated and inefficient public sector? Privatisation brings efficiences and reduces waste.

Spoken like a true Tory x

Hope u dont need emergency care or ure house is burgled or catches fire soon

over a year ago

"100 business leaders. Labour threatens Britains economy.".

Your 20th century idea that anything is great providing its massively profitable has been seen through, time to step a side and let the next lot try to save you from yourself

I don't think, I do...

As for your Green agenda - come on, get real. It is extremist poppycock and has the support of virtually no-one outside of internet forums. A green, caring, sharing world is a great fantasy that can never be realised because it flies against the very genetic make up of the human race. Get the world on board and it may have some credence but installing a green agenda in the UK alone will set us back 100 years and virtually all big business would exit. Who in their right mind can envisage a society where "meaningful work becomes less important."? Fantasy. "Completely open borders."? Fantasy. "Social housing for all."? Fantasy.

As for more and more people jumping on to the bandwagon?.....

Out of every 100 people - 95 would not vote Green (BBC poll). I would say that you have a minority view no matter how loud you shout on these forums and if I hold a "flawed" view presumably so do the other 95%? "

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Hope u dont need emergency care or ure house is burgled or catches fire soon "

So the Police, A&E and Fire Brigade is being privatised? Wow. I must have missed that.

over a year ago

I guess the working men and women of Britain should vote Labour then - as when did big business ever give a damn about the working man?"

I work for the 3rd biggest company in the sector, have been there 4 years now.

Had about £400 a month wage increase.

I put 6% into the pension scheme and end up with 21% after all the perks.

Get sent away expenses paid for training - Holland this month

And have just applied yesterday to take on a funded engineering apprenticeship.

Depends on which company you work for.

over a year ago

Snouts so far in the trough it's a miracle they don't suffocate.

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

So the Police, A&E and Fire Brigade is being privatised? Wow. I must have missed that.

Its all ready happening u clearly dont work in it so u would have no idea

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Snouts so far in the trough it's a miracle they don't suffocate.

WELL SAID

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

If a similar announcement was made by one union leader about Labour this thread would solely be about them being in the pockets of the union.

Yes, it's a good news story for the Conservatives. Yes, we need a private sector. However, I also believe we need a public and voluntary sector. MPs work in the public sector after all.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"If a similar announcement was made by one union leader about Labour this thread would solely be about them being in the pockets of the union.

Yes, it's a good news story for the Conservatives. Yes, we need a private sector. However, I also believe we need a public and voluntary sector. MPs work in the public sector after all.

"

Yes we do need a public sector but not one that is big and burdonsome. Trimmed, lean and healthy.

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

There is no government for the next 30 odd days now .... surely the country will crash and die without Cameron and Osbournes superb leadership spin and lies lol

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

If a similar announcement was made by one union leader about Labour this thread would solely be about them being in the pockets of the union.

Yes we do need a public sector but not one that is big and burdonsome. Trimmed, lean and healthy.

Trimmed and lean ,? After awarding themselves an 11% pay rise !!! Gold plated pension after one term expenses coming out of their ears and The Eton boys werent short of a few quid to start with ..HS2 ? Taxpayers money wasted to get to Manchester 20 mins faster lol back handers mps probably shareholders in companies asked to build it .

over a year ago

Anybody else think their should be two separate ways of defining the economy?

One what the government controls and makes profit from, along with their buddies. And then another word to describe the majority of everybody elses finances?

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Well said

over a year ago

"If a similar announcement was made by one union leader about Labour this thread would solely be about them being in the pockets of the union.

Yes we do need a public sector but not one that is big and burdonsome. Trimmed, lean and healthy."

Your living in cloud cuckoo land!

Were a consumer economy thanks to years of mostly Tory policies.

Were a nation of coffee shops, hairdressers, nail salons, charity shops and supermarkets!

If you take the public sector away most shops (the service sector employs 75% of people in Britain will close or struggle).

Trimming public sector could have been done before 1985 maybe!

Most of the big company's in Britain are here to hoover up the big money the government spend.... Why an earth do you think the Tories keep up the big spending!

Growth doesn't pay for itself, it never has and never will, but it's necessary to grow population to grow the money supply, more means you stand a chance of paying back the interest on the principle that you originally set out with, it's also an addiction like heroin to 21st century capitalism.

Money doesn't grow on trees, it's created through debt that's the system whether you like it or not. The system is fundamentally fucked but in your crazy logic you think you can have more money without more debt, your trapped between 19th century working principles (and there noble ones) and 21st century economics

over a year ago

"I thought it was an April fools thing."

over a year ago

So the Police, A&E and Fire Brigade is being privatised? Wow. I must have missed that."

Did you miss the bit where the Tories are destroying these?

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Did you miss the bit where the Tories are destroying these? "

I think they did

By *anddancer79Man
over a year ago

south tyne

Hi

I'm putting my name in the hat to become a dictator

Please vote for me I will give everyone a free crunchie on a Friday !!

over a year ago

Everyone vote labour nd we see a change for the everyday worker. Not the rich get richer nd poorer get worse off. Heard enough ov tories false promises. The country is flooded with immigrants. Im not sayin stop it but at least control it rant over...........

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Hi

I'm putting my name in the hat to become a dictator

Please vote for me I will give everyone a free crunchie on a Friday !! "

Make it an aero mint uve got my vote

By *anddancer79Man
over a year ago

south tyne

Ok

With negotiation skills like that would you like to be chancellor ?

over a year ago

"Everyone vote labour nd we see a change for the everyday worker. Not the rich get richer nd poorer get worse off. Heard enough ov tories false promises. The country is flooded with immigrants. Im not sayin stop it but at least control it rant over..........."

this

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Ok

With negotiation skills like that would you like to be chancellor ? "

Cant mess it up anymore than Osbourne !

By *anddancer79Man
over a year ago

south tyne

Cool

Who is violent on here need a minister of defence ???

Labour tried to balls it up with immigration and everything all politicians are w*****rs

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Cool

Who is violent on here need a minister of defence ???

Labour tried to balls it up with immigration and everything all politicians are w*****rs

"

I concur

over a year ago

I found this quite amusing! Soo the conservatives will cut corporation tax...and this gains the support of big businesses...and this is a surprise how?

Probably in response to Labour's plans to reverse said cuts in corporation tax to fund help for small businesses.

Big corporations support the Tories, shock horror. In other news Greenpeace support the green party

over a year ago

"Everyone vote labour nd we see a change for the everyday worker. Not the rich get richer nd poorer get worse off. Heard enough ov tories false promises. The country is flooded with immigrants. Im not sayin stop it but at least control it rant over..........."

But wasn't uncontrolled immigration a Labour policy ?

I am in no way saying I object to immigration but you can't ask people to vote labour and then complain about immigration in the same sentence. Surely labour created the problem you're moaning about.

By *earboynottinghamMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Absolute bollocks.

They are not job or wealth creators, they are wealth extractors. If the wages they pay are so low people need tax credits then who is the scrounger?

What kinds of jobs are they creating? Crap ones with crap wages where you can be dismissed for anything in first few years.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

You may not like business leaders, but why would you pour scorn on what these job creators say they need to create more jobs?

Absolute bollocks.

They are not job or wealth creators, they are wealth extractors. If the wages they pay are so low people need tax credits then who is the scrounger?

What kinds of jobs are they creating? Crap ones with crap wages where you can be dismissed for anything in first few years."

So you would rather we not have these 500,000 directly employed jobs and have these 100 business leaders and their companies fuck off and set up shop somewhere else? That would deliver a huge blow to the UK economy and send it massively into recession.

Not clever.

over a year ago

"So you would rather we not have these 500,000 directly employed jobs and have these 100 business leaders and their companies fuck off and set up shop somewhere else? That would deliver a huge blow to the UK economy and send it massively into recession.

Not clever."

What jobs are they? Do they export a lot of our products or are they asda and poundland what imports lots of cheap crap and exploits job schemes where the tax payer pays employees wages? it would make a difference.

over a year ago

The op speaks about the hundred ad if there gods.

I happens to be watching that Caribbean show on the bbc last night, they happened to point out that the banana company chiquita hired para military thugs to kill farmers in Columbia so they could take their land, they aren't alone coca cola hired the same para military to kill union representatives!.

Not all business people are nice people let alone helpful.

By *earboynottinghamMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Absolute bollocks.

What kinds of jobs are they creating? Crap ones with crap wages where you can be dismissed for anything in first few years.

So you would rather we not have these 500,000 directly employed jobs and have these 100 business leaders and their companies fuck off and set up shop somewhere else? That would deliver a huge blow to the UK economy and send it massively into recession.

Not clever."

Where are they going to fuck off to? They need a market in which to operate.

over a year ago

Absolute bollocks.

Not clever.

Where are they going to fuck off to? They need a market in which to operate.

"

Precisely. They wouldn't and they won't. Just scaremongering

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Anybody else think their should be two separate ways of defining the economy?

One what the government controls and makes profit from, along with their buddies. And then another word to describe the majority of everybody elses finances?

"

There are two separate words for defining those people" Bourgeoisie and proletariat.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Peter Jukes is going through the list of these 100 business leaders who support the Tories.

Guess what? Five out of the first ten have cut deals with HMRC over tax avoidance.

Don't forget though, we're all in it together!

over a year ago

"Peter Jukes is going through the list of these 100 business leaders who support the Tories.

Guess what? Five out of the first ten have cut deals with HMRC over tax avoidance.

Don't forget though, we're all in it together! "

Thanks for that... Just peeked at his twitter feed. It's a shame he stopped at the first 10..!

https://twitter.com/peterjukes

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

More than thirty of them have also donated money to the Tory party.

Just fancy that!

over a year ago

"More than thirty of them have also donated money to the Tory party.

Just fancy that!"

Quel surprise!

over a year ago

Just fancy that!"

But surely that's what you do if you think that's the party that is best for you. It would be bizarre if they put their money anywhere else. Obviously they would invest in something that would do them good.

If they thought labour was good for their business I'm sure they would donate to them.

By *rnortholtMan
over a year ago

E Suffolk

So let's see who they include..

The boss of BP, an American citizen.

George Weston of Assoc British Foods - basically a family owned firm behind everything from Primark to Twinnings where they shipped jobs out of the UK to Poland.

The boss of Compass - who never use zero hours contracts....

The French Ivorian passport holding, soon-to-be boss of Credit Suisse who've been investigated by US, Germany and Brazil for helping tax evaders.

Baroness Shields US born and educated - joint citizenship tech guru appointed to the Lords by some bloke called David Cameron.

Not exactly surprised by the list of people backing the govt so far......

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Just fancy that!

But surely that's what you do if you think that's the party that is best for you. It would be bizarre if they put their money anywhere else. Obviously they would invest in something that would do them good.

If they thought labour was good for their business I'm sure they would donate to them. "

Of course. However, they are presenting themselves as impartial observers with the good of the country behind their pronouncement, rather than themselves.

Which makes them duplicitous and deceitful.

over a year ago

Just fancy that!

If they thought labour was good for their business I'm sure they would donate to them.

Of course. However, they are presenting themselves as impartial observers with the good of the country behind their pronouncement, rather than themselves.

Which makes them duplicitous and deceitful."

It's not deceitful if everyone knows what your doing and political donations are there for everyone to see.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"The point is that these are the people who actually take risks with their own money to create new and/or expand their businesses and as a consequence create meaningful jobs.

Please name some of these big business leaders that risk their own money that support the Tories...

I think if you do a little checking you will find the vast majority of them are executive directors of public companies who owe their positions to the block voting of financial institutions that use our money to play roulette with the worlds economy and give their mates multi million pound a year jobs!"

OP, I am still waiting for an answer...

You have managed to post 7 times since I asked you to name some of these big business people that risk their own money to provide jobs for others and you seem to be ignoring my post...

Why? Is it because you cant name any?

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Just fancy that!

It's not deceitful if everyone knows what your doing and political donations are there for everyone to see. "

Yes indeed! Which is why I suppose they didn't make it clear at all, and instead it was down to people who aren't blinded by the headlines to dig up the truth about their deception and expose it.

By the sounds of things, you completely approve of deception in the name of political propaganda and misleading the eloctorate. What a curious thing to support!

over a year ago

Just fancy that!

It's not deceitful if everyone knows what your doing and political donations are there for everyone to see.

Yes indeed! Which is why I suppose they didn't make it clear at all, and instead it was down to people who aren't blinded by the headlines to dig up the truth about their deception and expose it.

By the sounds of things, you completely approve of deception in the name of political propaganda and misleading the eloctorate. What a curious thing to support! "

What a curious thin to presume.

over a year ago

Just fancy that!

By the sounds of things, you completely approve of deception in the name of political propaganda and misleading the eloctorate. What a curious thing to support!

What a curious thin to presume. "

But then again it's not the first time your presumptions have been completely wrong.

But carry on you amuse me.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I might have been more impressed if the 100 business leaders in question had actually signed a letter that was of there own making.........

however the letter in question actually came from conservative party campaign HQ.......

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

What a cop out. If your political convictions are such that you find yourself supporting liars and crooks, you may as well be honest about it. To yourself, if no-one else.

I hope your amusement offers you some small measure of comfort, at least.

over a year ago

"What a cop out. If your political convictions are such that you find yourself supporting liars and crooks, you may as well be honest about it. To yourself, if no-one else.

I hope your amusement offers you some small measure of comfort, at least. "

You have no idea who I support.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

I bet you are a Uskipper!

over a year ago

Let's face it who ever gets elected in will be a cunt all politicians are lying deceiving corrupt high society wankers.

(Rant over)

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"Let's face it who ever gets elected in will be a cunt all politicians are lying deceiving corrupt high society wankers.

"

over a year ago

"Let's face it who ever gets elected in will be a cunt all politicians are lying deceiving corrupt high society wankers.

"

over a year ago

"I bet you are a Uskipper! "

Couldn't be more wrong.

I like guessing games though. I told you you amuse me.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I might have been more impressed if the 100 business leaders in question had actually signed a letter that was of there own making.........

however the letter in question actually came from conservative party campaign HQ....... "

Again, not a surprise. The title of the thread is a good news story for the Conservatives and, largely, it is. Most people won't look beyond the headline and will hear that 100 businesses support the Conservative handling of the economy. As the R4 news headline put it though, 100 businesses support the Coalition handling of the economy.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Hey, you don't need to try to impress me. I think that anyone who supports any political party is an idiot.

Carry on, Smokey Robinson!

By *andomfodCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Creating so many jobs at my company has knocked about 2 grand off my real income for this year. They're over hiring to be classed as "job creators"

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"I might have been more impressed if the 100 business leaders in question had actually signed a letter that was of there own making.........

however the letter in question actually came from conservative party campaign HQ.......

Again, not a surprise. The title of the thread is a good news story for the Conservatives and, largely, it is. Most people won't look beyond the headline and will hear that 100 businesses support the Conservative handling of the economy. As the R4 news headline put it though, 100 businesses support the Coalition handling of the economy.

"

Indeed. Or putting it another way, 4,899,900 business leaders DON'T support the Tory party.

over a year ago

Probably the support is due to all the tax breaks the big company's get.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

of the 103 names on the list... 32 of them have contributed money to the conservative party.... totaling about 9million pounds in donations.....

and thats not including a few who are tory peers in the house of lords.. and their business backers.....

over a year ago

"of the 103 names on the list... 32 of them have contributed money to the conservative party.... totaling about 9million pounds in donations.....

and thats not including a few who are tory peers in the house of lords.. and their business backers....."

But that isn't surprising is it ?

Tory supporters support the Torys. Not a massive shock is it ?

over a year ago

"of the 103 names on the list... 32 of them have contributed money to the conservative party.... totaling about 9million pounds in donations.....

and thats not including a few who are tory peers in the house of lords.. and their business backers....."

But that isn't surprising is it ?

Tory supporters support the Torys. Not a massive shock is it ?

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Here's the point

...and here is you.

over a year ago

oh shit, it's a swinging site.

so whilst every neuron in my heart and head is saying 'fuck off and die Tory scum' my dick is saying, hmmmmm, sexy arse.

you don't get that problem at the SWP meets. too covered in fair trade angora non gender specific wraps.

ho hum....

over a year ago

Just fancy that!

If they thought labour was good for their business I'm sure they would donate to them. "

Depends on how you look at it. The donations can be seen as encouragement for a party to pursue a particular path. Businesses have the clout to do that - ordinary people sadly don't.

I'm sure there are plenty of businesses that donate to Labour too.

Same sides of a dodgy coin.

over a year ago

"Here's the point

...and here is you."

Very close to each other

For a change

over a year ago

Just fancy that!

Depends on how you look at it. The donations can be seen as encouragement for a party to pursue a particular path. Businesses have the clout to do that - ordinary people sadly don't.

Same sides of a dodgy coin."

Businesses support Tories by and large as they want lower taxes and the like.

It is Unions, not businesses, who are in bed with Labour as they have a better chance of getting better working conditions and livable wages for their members under a Labour government.

It is not since 1979 that we in Britain had a truly socialist government. Time for one again?

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

oh shit, it's a swinging site.

so whilst every neuron in my heart and head is saying 'fuck off and die Tory scum' my dick is saying, hmmmmm, sexy arse.

you don't get that problem at the SWP meets. too covered in fair trade angora non gender specific wraps.

ho hum....

"

You're a swappie?

By *earboynottinghamMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

This is just a list of the 100 businesses most likely to pay poor wages.

Tax avoiders and tory peers.

If you believe the hype then you need to be lobotomised for the safety of humanity.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Just fancy that!

It is Unions, not businesses, who are in bed with Labour as they have a better chance of getting better working conditions and livable wages for their members under a Labour government.

It is not since 1979 that we in Britain had a truly socialist government. Time for one again? "

You would not say that if you lived through that particular government. Power cuts, strikes, three day week.... we were known as the sick man of Europe.

over a year ago

Just fancy that!

It is not since 1979 that we in Britain had a truly socialist government. Time for one again?

You would not say that if you lived through that particular government. Power cuts, strikes, three day week.... we were known as the sick man of Europe."

I remember the power cuts. It was quite romantic with all that candlelight.

over a year ago

Just fancy that!

You would not say that if you lived through that particular government. Power cuts, strikes, three day week.... we were known as the sick man of Europe."

I did live through it. Unions had too much power then and abused it. Just as employers abuse workers now. A happy medium is better

You conveniently forget our most effective PM was a socialist - Attlee. His government saw the introduction of the NHS and Welfare State inter alia. Where would we be without those things?

over a year ago

Just fancy that!

You would not say that if you lived through that particular government. Power cuts, strikes, three day week.... we were known as the sick man of Europe.

I did live through it. Unions had too much power then and abused it. Just as employers abuse workers now. A happy medium is better

You conveniently forget our most effective PM was a socialist - Attlee. His government saw the introduction of the NHS and Welfare State inter alia. Where would we be without those things? "

Atlee and the Labour Party at the time didn't consider themselves socialists.

A Conservative post-war government under Churchill was fully signed up to introducing the NHS. A Liberal post-war government under Sinclair was fully signed up to introducing the NHS. The NHS was not Labour’s great achievement it was an inescapable conclusion that was very unpopular and controversial amongst labour members.

In fact Atlee's and labours vision of the NHS was only of it being an advisory body for healthier nutrition and medical research. It was only under pressure from the liberals and the conservatives that the NHS became what it is.

So it is one of the great myths that labour spout that the NHS was one of their great achievements

over a year ago

"

In fact Atlee's and labours vision of the NHS was only of it being an advisory body for healthier nutrition and medical research. It was only under pressure from the liberals and the conservatives that the NHS became what it is.

"

Interesting that the conservatives pushed for an NHS...it appears to be a cornerstone of a socialist society...

All's well that ends well - ish

over a year ago

"

Interesting that the conservatives pushed for an NHS...it appears to be a cornerstone of a socialist society...

All's well that ends well - ish "

It's just a nonsense that's spouted by some labour supporters that Tory equals bad for the NHS , when in fact the NHS as we see it today is more of the Tory vision than labours. It was labour who started part privatisation of the NHS and labour that wanted a blanket £10 charge to visit your GP.

over a year ago

I wonder how many of these business leaders both themselves and their companies dodge tax and use every trick is the book to increase their income and deprive it to the ones that really run their businesses.

Labour should stop thinking about how to appeal to everybody, the Tories gave that up years ago, they've reaped the benefits of their own indifference, by saddling people with debt, by stopping workers having hope and being passive by not bothering to vote, Blair/Brown was a huge mistake, they followed advice, put the economy of the so called experts, the city, bankers etc and they flushed the economy down the toilet.

I think a Labour/SNP coalition could be very interesting.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Just fancy that!

You conveniently forget our most effective PM was a socialist - Attlee. His government saw the introduction of the NHS and Welfare State inter alia. Where would we be without those things? "

Interesting that you should mention welfare and the NHS. Introduced at a time when it was mainly only men that worked and the welfare system was costed on an assumption based on (the then) current lifespan and medical abilities. At that time there were 90% people working supporting the 10% who were not. Today there are more than 50% not working and as lifespans increase and medical know how improves (and becomes more expensive) we are asking an ever dwindling percentage of working people to support an ever increasing percentage of ageing and infirm.

If the NHS and welfare state were proposed today - it would never see the light of day because it would be deemed unaffordable and unsustainable in the future.

over a year ago

Dont you just love the way people juggle figures to justify their own personal agenda.

Ask the same 100, would they vote for the loony party that wants to scrap corporation tax completely and ban the minimum wage.

Am pretty sure every single one of them would be jumping up and down,telling us how good it would be for the country.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

I think if you do a little checking you will find the vast majority of them are executive directors of public companies who owe their positions to the block voting of financial institutions that use our money to play roulette with the worlds economy and give their mates multi million pound a year jobs!

You have managed to post 7 times since I asked you to name some of these big business people that risk their own money to provide jobs for others and you seem to be ignoring my post...

Why? Is it because you cant name any?"

OP posts now up to 9 since I asked my simple question and still no answer...

I know it's bit of a bastard but considering my question is about your first post I think I deserve an answer if you as a Tory supporter want to retain any credibility.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Dont you just love the way people juggle figures to justify their own personal agenda.

Ask the same 100, would they vote for the loony party that wants to scrap corporation tax completely and ban the minimum wage.

Am pretty sure every single one of them would be jumping up and down,telling us how good it would be for the country.

"

OK - I will respond to this.

Firstly, what is the point of a minimum wage if people get tax credits anyway? Personally, I think that tax credits should be abolished and the minimum wage increased.

Secondly, why do you think that aboloshing Corporation Tax is a bad idea? In essence CT punishes a company for being successful. A government could offer to reduce CT to zero for a Company that employs more people or re-invests in the company by expanding or purchasing new infrastructure equipment. A far better option and one that cannot be fiddled is to abolish CT altogether and introduce a "transaction tax." This would be a tax levied on every transaction made by one or both entities that is resident within the territorial borders of the United Kingdom. So for example - the likes of Facebook, Amazon, Starbucks and Google would pay a 5% tax on every transaction that was made to a UK resident. Every shop, every bank, every online retailer - every company or entity would pay a transaction tax instead of Corporation tax. Personally, I think it is a no brainer and the system to collect is already there with VAT.

over a year ago

WOW what a great idea, can we also scrap income tax, as that would make people work more.

Also get rid of fuel duty,then people will use lots more and create even more petrol stations and so more tax free jobs.

While we are at it,lets just scrap all tax`s and let the entire country sort them selves out.

No Police,no health service,no prisons and no MPs.

Just let everyone help themselves to anything they fancy at any price.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Why? Is it because you cant name any?

OP posts now up to 9 since I asked my simple question and still no answer...

I know it's bit of a bastard but considering my question is about your first post I think I deserve an answer if you as a Tory supporter want to retain any credibility."

I reiterated a newspaper headline as a post??? What do you want me to do? Tear a new arse out of the Daily Telegraph for publishing something that you don't like? I apologise for not responding sooner but I have to sell shit between popping on here otherwise the boat and/or Range Rover might get repossessed.

You are asking me to name risk takers I think? People who risk their own money and who are on that list? How can I do that? I don't have the time or inclination to dig into the companies that these guys control and why should I - it has got nothing to do with the original post. One thing that I can be pretty sure of without knowing very much about each one of them. At some stage - a number of them will have had to take a risk - betting all they had to get where they are now. That is how it works.

You appear to be another embittered soul. You want high paying work and resent anyone who is better off than you. You hate big business and don't want them to succeed and you simply cannot accept that work comes from profitable business. Just exactly who do you want to create all the well paid jobs? The state?

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"WOW what a great idea, can we also scrap income tax, as that would make people work more.

Also get rid of fuel duty,then people will use lots more and create even more petrol stations and so more tax free jobs.

While we are at it,lets just scrap all tax`s and let the entire country sort them selves out.

No Police,no health service,no prisons and no MPs.

Just let everyone help themselves to anything they fancy at any price.

"

Have you read what I wrote? Why is a transaction tax not better than Corporation Tax? What do you know about Corporation Tax? Not very much by the sound of it. A transaction tax would raise far more money and it is unavoidable, fair and transparent - unlike CT.

You shopuld not let blind prejudice mislead you.

over a year ago

HMRC can barely function as it is.

Why do you think increasing the workload would be more efficient ?

Who is going to police this transaction tax,certainly not the private companies.

They are already guilty of hiding as much money from HMRC as they can.

Giving them even more opportunities to hide money does seem a little naive dont you thing.

Afte all Starbucks are not going to keep records of every single cup of coffee or cake that they sell are they.

over a year ago

"HMRC can barely function as it is.

Who is going to police this transaction tax,certainly not the private companies.

Giving them even more opportunities to hide money does seem a little naive dont you thing.

Afte all Starbucks are not going to keep records of every single cup of coffee or cake that they sell are they."

They do already. It's called a till or cash register.

over a year ago

Perfect solution then,just let Amazon and the rest of the internet companies, know they need to get hold of some cheap tills.

over a year ago

How to buy a meeting with a minister

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide

I wonder how many of these top 100 attended these events.

over a year ago

"How to buy a meeting with a minister

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide

I wonder how many of these top 100 attended these events."

Not all of them,some were playing tennis or shopping,with members of an elite group.

over a year ago

"Perfect solution then,just let Amazon and the rest of the internet companies, know they need to get hold of some cheap tills."

So you are expecting a workforce of minimum wagers to be compliment in evading tax for the company that only pays then the minimum ?

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Afte all Starbucks are not going to keep records of every single cup of coffee or cake that they sell are they."

The system is already in place. Corporation Tax needs a separate system, whereas a transaction tax can piggy back VAT returns. VAT returns follow the flow of cash and reconcile with bank statements.

Google, Starbucks etc already publish their accounts but pay little CT here because of the way they play the Corporate HQ game. Whatever Starbucks turned over from UK operations they would have paid 20% VAT (which they do already) plus another 5% transaction tax on turnover instead of 20% CT on profits which always seem to magically dissappear anyway.

Low taxes encourage business and one of the biggest problems with CT at the moment is that you have a so called combined EU but each member state sets its own CT rate thereby encouraging (or disuading) investment. Labour wants to put up CT and that is crazy as it would just encourage more people to HQ in Ireland instead of the UK and thereby we lose more CT instead of gaining it.

over a year ago

Afte all Starbucks are not going to keep records of every single cup of coffee or cake that they sell are they.

The system is already in place. Corporation Tax needs a separate system, whereas a transaction tax can piggy back VAT returns. VAT returns follow the flow of cash and reconcile with bank statements.

Google, Starbucks etc already publish their accounts but pay little CT here because of the way they play the Corporate HQ game. Whatever Starbucks turned over from UK operations they would have paid 20% VAT (which they do already) plus another 5% transaction tax on turnover instead of 20% CT on profits which always seem to magically dissappear anyway.

Low taxes encourage business and one of the biggest problems with CT at the moment is that you have a so called combined EU but each member state sets its own CT rate thereby encouraging (or disuading) investment. Labour wants to put up CT and that is crazy as it would just encourage more people to HQ in Ireland instead of the UK and thereby we lose more CT instead of gaining it. "

But we the customer pay the vat not Starbucks!... They can claim all their vat back.... We can't!. It's a tax on we the people.

The whole point of corporation tax is to punish massive profit and force the company to invest in capital infrastructure or hiring people which would mean that money didn't get taxed.....

Without corporation tax the companies would be allowed cart blanche on unlimited profits

over a year ago

I have never known an election in my lifetime that is as insipid and lacking in real change than the upcoming one. I don't feel inspired by any of it.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"But we the customer pay the vat not Starbucks!... They can claim all their vat back.... We can't!. It's a tax on we the people.

The whole point of corporation tax is to punish massive profit and force the company to invest in capital infrastructure or hiring people which would mean that money didn't get taxed.....

Without corporation tax the companies would be allowed cart blanche on unlimited profits "

You are not getting it. I am only saying that the VAT collection system is already in place. I am not saying that VAT should be increased by 5%.

Forget about the brand Corporation Tax and think about it as a sum of money that the Treasury collects. At the moment, globalisation is making a mockery of Corporation Tax and nobody is getting their rightful share. So, think outside the box - how else can this money be raised and not be fiddled?

My opinion is that a company should be taxed on every transaction that they make in the UK. This not a reclaimable tax like VAT and it can be paid either quarterly with the VAT return or as part of the annual return.

The amount of profit that a Company makes is to be honest irrelevant these days because of tax loopholes and domiciliation rules they will never pay the correct amount of CT. So, forget the CT and tax them on every transaction - the end result will be the same AND no one can get away with not paying it.

over a year ago

"But we the customer pay the vat not Starbucks!... They can claim all their vat back.... We can't!. It's a tax on we the people.

Without corporation tax the companies would be allowed cart blanche on unlimited profits

You are not getting it. I am only saying that the VAT collection system is already in place. I am not saying that VAT should be increased by 5%.

Forget about the brand Corporation Tax and think about it as a sum of money that the Treasury collects. At the moment, globalisation is making a mockery of Corporation Tax and nobody is getting their rightful share. So, think outside the box - how else can this money be raised and not be fiddled?

My opinion is that a company should be taxed on every transaction that they make in the UK. This not a reclaimable tax like VAT and it can be paid either quarterly with the VAT return or as part of the annual return.

The amount of profit that a Company makes is to be honest irrelevant these days because of tax loopholes and domiciliation rules they will never pay the correct amount of CT. So, forget the CT and tax them on every transaction - the end result will be the same AND no one can get away with not paying it."

Aha.

Funnily enough I like it, it seems a fairer way to get rid of the leverage big firms have over small ones,I wouldn't hold out any hope of anybody in government implementing it though as the trouble with politics today is, those big firms who like the current system have the ear of the major leaders!

Post new Message to Thread