Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A question for the taxi drivers..

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Do small children and babies have to be in a car seat to travel in one?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

No

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Taxis and minicabs (private hire vehicles)

Children under 3 years of age can travel without a child's car seat or seat belt, but only in the rear of the vehicle

Children aged 3 years or older can travel without a child's car seat if they wear an adult seat belt

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Thank you

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

No.

But london black cabs have a child's seat built into the arm rest of the rear seat.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Bad really, but I suppose not surprising otherwise the driver would need child seats in the car just in case

over a year ago

"Bad really, but I suppose not surprising otherwise the driver would need child seats in the car just in case"

Some people will bring their own child seats.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Ive never noticed that in black cabs,probably because ive not needed to

I asked because im sat in my car at the Drs and a woman got into a taxi with a babe in arms and it made me wonder if the law was different

I don't think I would have trusted anyone to drive me around with my baby in my arms in the back of a taxi,I would have been back seat driver champion!

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 30/03/15 16:00:07]

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Bad really, but I suppose not surprising otherwise the driver would need child seats in the car just in case

Some people will bring their own child seats. "

Which is obviously a good idea , but for the people without cars I doubt they would have one.

over a year ago

"Ive never noticed that in black cabs,probably because ive not needed to

I asked because im sat in my car at the Drs and a woman got into a taxi with a babe in arms and it made me wonder if the law was different

I don't think I would have trusted anyone to drive me around with my baby in my arms in the back of a taxi,I would have been back seat driver champion! "

I suppose if you have children and don't drive you have no choice but to get in a taxi with no child seat if you need one

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Funny isn't it, hospitals won't let you take a new born out of the hospital unless they see them in their car seat, and yet if you don't drive you can just get in a cab without any seat

over a year ago

"Bad really, but I suppose not surprising otherwise the driver would need child seats in the car just in case

Which is obviously a good idea , but for the people without cars I doubt they would have one.

"

Not really practical either if your going shopping to carry a car seat round with you while pushing a pram

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"Funny isn't it, hospitals won't let you take a new born out of the hospital unless they see them in their car seat, and yet if you don't drive you can just get in a cab without any seat"

So true

over a year ago

"

It all depends how seriously you take the safety of your child.

It is the law to wear a belt in the back of a cab but hardly anyone does.

I will drive as safely as I can but ultimately your safety and that of your child is down to you.

over a year ago

"Funny isn't it, hospitals won't let you take a new born out of the hospital unless they see them in their car seat, and yet if you don't drive you can just get in a cab without any seat"

A taxi driver told me once they don't have to wear seat belts either

over a year ago

I don't think I would have trusted anyone to drive me around with my baby in my arms in the back of a taxi,I would have been back seat driver champion!

I suppose if you have children and don't drive you have no choice but to get in a taxi with no child seat if you need one "

Wouldn't you buy a car seat for such occasions ?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

I will drive as safely as I can but ultimately your safety and that of your child is down to you. "

MrP is it your responsibility if the people in the back don't put their seat belts on or their own? I just put them on automatically

over a year ago

"Funny isn't it, hospitals won't let you take a new born out of the hospital unless they see them in their car seat, and yet if you don't drive you can just get in a cab without any seat

A taxi driver told me once they don't have to wear seat belts either "

This is true. Black taxi drivers are not required by law to wear a seat belt. I always do though.

over a year ago

I suppose if you have children and don't drive you have no choice but to get in a taxi with no child seat if you need one

Wouldn't you buy a car seat for such occasions ? "

Obviously not I've never seen anyone pull a child seat out while getting into a taxi

They are quite big bulky things I wouldn't have fancied having to push a push chair about while carrying one at the other end

It'd easy to sit here in judgement of others but in all seriousness who does carry a car seat about just in case they need a taxi

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I will drive as safely as I can but ultimately your safety and that of your child is down to you. "

I agree, I am not dissing taxi drivers, they are only doing what is allowed. I just think it is odd that they are not required to have a childs seat.

Yes, your child is your responsibility but buying a car seat for an odd time in a taxi is probably not practical and as NN says, where would you put it while shopping? lol

over a year ago

I will drive as safely as I can but ultimately your safety and that of your child is down to you.

MrP is it your responsibility if the people in the back don't put their seat belts on or their own? I just put them on automatically"

No it is not my responsibility. It is the law to wear one but nothing to do with me if you get injured and have not put it on. Although I won't have children standing or unbelted in my cab. I won't move until they are securely strapped in. I have lost a few fares because of this , but never mind.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Funny isn't it, hospitals won't let you take a new born out of the hospital unless they see them in their car seat, and yet if you don't drive you can just get in a cab without any seat

A taxi driver told me once they don't have to wear seat belts either "

It's true

over a year ago

Could it be down to taxi drivers are generally male and therfore safer.

Only kidding

I personally think it's irresponsible by both parties.parent and driver.

over a year ago

Obviously not I've never seen anyone pull a child seat out while getting into a taxi

They are quite big bulky things I wouldn't have fancied having to push a push chair about while carrying one at the other end

It'd easy to sit here in judgement of others but in all seriousness who does carry a car seat about just in case they need a taxi"

If you are regularly getting a taxi then it would be wise to have a child seat. Otherwise why not get the bus. I wouldn't have dreamed of travelling in a vehicle with my children without an appropriate seat.

over a year ago

"Could it be down to taxi drivers are generally male and therfore safer.

Only kidding

I personally think it's irresponsible by both parties.parent and driver. "

But the law bares no responsibility?

over a year ago

It'd easy to sit here in judgement of others but in all seriousness who does carry a car seat about just in case they need a taxi

If you are regularly getting a taxi then it would be wise to have a child seat. Otherwise why not get the bus. I wouldn't have dreamed of travelling in a vehicle with my children without an appropriate seat. "

The thing is what you or I would do is irrelevant the law says it OK so people can and will do it

over a year ago

Only kidding

I personally think it's irresponsible by both parties.parent and driver. "

Your child's safety is not the taxi drivers responsibility.

over a year ago

If you are regularly getting a taxi then it would be wise to have a child seat. Otherwise why not get the bus. I wouldn't have dreamed of travelling in a vehicle with my children without an appropriate seat.

The thing is what you or I would do is irrelevant the law says it OK so people can and will do it "

Fair comment.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"

MrP is it your responsibility if the people in the back don't put their seat belts on or their own? I just put them on automatically

No it is not my responsibility. It is the law to wear one but nothing to do with me if you get injured and have not put it on. Although I won't have children standing or unbelted in my cab. I won't move until they are securely strapped in. I have lost a few fares because of this , but never mind. "

Ok thanks

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Only kidding

Your child's safety is not the taxi drivers responsibility. "

I agree

over a year ago

Personally I think it would be great if taxi's carried a booster seat in the boot of their taxi. They can be bought for around a tenner and provide peace of mind both for parent and driver. Several taxis that I've used have had these! X

over a year ago

Only kidding

But the law bares no responsibility?"

Is this true?

At some point this issue must have been looked at and someone made the decision that the loss of a fair or the inconvenience of carrying a child seat Outweighed the injury or worse of a child.

I don't make sense to me

X

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"Personally I think it would be great if taxi's carried a booster seat in the boot of their taxi. They can be bought for around a tenner and provide peace of mind both for parent and driver. Several taxis that I've used have had these! X"

Some taxis around here have a booster seat in the boot. Which is great if your child is about 4 or over but no good for younger kids x

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"Personally I think it would be great if taxi's carried a booster seat in the boot of their taxi. They can be bought for around a tenner and provide peace of mind both for parent and driver. Several taxis that I've used have had these! X

Some taxis around here have a booster seat in the boot. Which is great if your child is about 4 or over but no good for younger kids x "

In fact around here the private hire hackney council test includes a tick box for a child booster seat.

By *carineMan
over a year ago

Armthorpe, Doncaster

Children shouldn`t be allowed anywhere near a taxi driver!

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"Children shouldn`t be allowed anywhere near a taxi driver!"

Why's that?

By *tu231Man
over a year ago

lenzie

it depends on the council taxi rules but a lot of them say that the driver of the cab should carry a child seat

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

Im taxi driver. we dont have to carry child seats .some do if they do school runs And for seat belt I'VE never worn one in all the yrs iv been taxing.

By *rcticFoxxxWoman
over a year ago

Hereabouts

A little while ago my mate needed to go to the walk-in centre and she was in no fit state to drive. I called 3 taxi companies before I found somebody who would take us and her 18month old daughter. It's legal for under 3s to be held, but some companies won't do it.

over a year ago

"Im taxi driver. we dont have to carry child seats .some do if they do school runs And for seat belt I'VE never worn one in all the yrs iv been taxing."

More fool you. It'll be too late to change your mind when your head has gone through the windscreen.

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

Most of our local mini cab firms will provide car seats if you ask.

As for taking your own, it's fine while your child is in a group 0 car seat with a carry handle, but once they're over 6 months, the group 1+ car seats are massive and would be severely difficult to carry about.

I don't agree with babies/children not being strapped in but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

Ill take my chances. Ty

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

"Im taxi driver. we dont have to carry child seats .some do if they do school runs And for seat belt I'VE never worn one in all the yrs iv been taxing.

More fool you. It'll be too late to change your mind when your head has gone through the windscreen. "

neither do i, but then i don't drive in a manner that would see my head go through the windscreen

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"Im taxi driver. we dont have to carry child seats .some do if they do school runs And for seat belt I'VE never worn one in all the yrs iv been taxing.

More fool you. It'll be too late to change your mind when your head has gone through the windscreen.

neither do i, but then i don't drive in a manner that would see my head go through the windscreen"

You don't have to be driving badly for a kid to run out in front of you and for you to slam the brakes on.

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

neither do i, but then i don't drive in a manner that would see my head go through the windscreen

You don't have to be driving badly for a kid to run out in front of you and for you to slam the brakes on. "

i do permanent nites

over a year ago

"Ill take my chances. Ty"

I just hope you don't injure anyone if you go flying through the windscreen.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

It could be anyone stepping out without looking, d*unk or sober. Ironically, I've only had one friend crash his car and it be his fault, according to them, anyway.

over a year ago

neither do i, but then i don't drive in a manner that would see my head go through the windscreen"

You may not , but can you vouch for other road users ?

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

It doesn't have to be YOUR driving.

There are other people on the road and some of them are complete idiots.

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

15yrs not wore one .not gona start now

over a year ago

"15yrs not wore one .not gona start now"

Oooh you rebel.

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

Lol

over a year ago

Would it be really controversial to mention rear facing kids seats? I really think the law should be changed so kids have to be rear facing for much longer.

over a year ago

"Would it be really controversial to mention rear facing kids seats? I really think the law should be changed so kids have to be rear facing for much longer."

I'm not being silly here but as their legs gets longer doesn't that restrict the use of a rear facing seat ?

By *rcticFoxxxWoman
over a year ago

Hereabouts

"Would it be really controversial to mention rear facing kids seats? I really think the law should be changed so kids have to be rear facing for much longer."

Wouldn't the back of the seat get in the way of their legs after a while if they're in a rear facing car seat?

over a year ago

My kids had them until they reached almost 4.

They never complained (and they complain about just about everything else!).

They just had their legs bent and feet against the back of the seat.

I'd far rather they ended up with broken legs in a crash than a broken neck. The reason kids are supposed to rear face as long as possible is because most crashes at speed are front on. Smaller kids have disproportionately larger heads and very weak necks.

There's crash test videos that show how forcefully a kid is thrown forwards and back in a crash.

In most of Europe, rear facing is law for much longer but backwards Britain is happy to let babies as young as mine months forward face?!

To the point where to a nightmare to purchase an extended rear facing car seat in the UK. We had to order ours online.

I'm just hoping as people are more aware, demand increases and they will become cheaper and more widely available.

over a year ago

"My kids had them until they reached almost 4.

I'd far rather they ended up with broken legs in a crash than a broken neck. The reason kids are supposed to rear face as long as possible is because most crashes at speed are front on. Smaller kids have disproportionately larger heads and very weak necks.

There's crash test videos that show how forcefully a kid is thrown forwards and back in a crash.

In most of Europe, rear facing is law for much longer but backwards Britain is happy to let babies as young as mine months forward face?!

To the point where to a nightmare to purchase an extended rear facing car seat in the UK. We had to order ours online.

I'm just hoping as people are more aware, demand increases and they will become cheaper and more widely available."

It's a good point. I hadn't realised this. Thanks

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"My kids had them until they reached almost 4.

I'm just hoping as people are more aware, demand increases and they will become cheaper and more widely available."

That's really interesting,I never knew that

over a year ago

What is more dangerous is adults cradling small children and putting their seat belt around the child. Even a sudden stop without an accident could be enough to crush the child

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Buses don't have child seats or seatbelts.

By *tu231Man
over a year ago

lenzie

21 years of driving taxis and as I said its down to the council you work for also I don't wear a seat belt when im in my working area but when I don't have a passenger in and out with my area I do as I don't want to get done

Post new Message to Thread