Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

android lollipop issues

Jump to newest

By *tep121 OP   Man
over a year ago

manchester

You would have thought that software updates would be tried and tested properly. I got the update on the gs4 and had nothing but problems. Apps keep crashing, phone keeps freezing, then crashes.. anyone else experiencing this?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Take your battery out then put back in

By *overOral0Man
over a year ago

Nr Cheltenham

Still waiting for mine on gs4... who are you with?

over a year ago

Leave it out for at least 1 minute I forgot to add

over a year ago

If your phone is unbranded you can download it from Samsung kies

By *overOral0Man
over a year ago

Nr Cheltenham

Ok. Looked the other week and couldnt find it

By *tep121 OP   Man
over a year ago

manchester

Im on EE. I just checked for updates n it came on. Had no problems installing it but been plagued by issues since...

You sure that just taking battery out n putting it in fixes it? I like the hidden game. Just can't get score past 1..

over a year ago

I always take battery out after software update I have the s5 have lollipop and no issues at all

By *tep121 OP   Man
over a year ago

manchester

Might be fine on s5.. did what you said. Still being awkward sob... lol. Once the update was done, it took my calendar n alarm clock widget off. Cant put them back. Sodding thing keeps crashing. Cant move apps back to what they were on the homescreen either.

over a year ago

Get a Lumia

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 30/03/15 04:37:47]

By *tep121 OP   Man
over a year ago

manchester

"Get a Lumia "

Not even an option. Hate windows 8.1 on a laptop or computer. Why would I want it on a phone? They've only just added cortana.. a feature thats been on android n apple for few years now.. as for apple - dont make me laugh...

over a year ago

What is the ram like on s4, being an older phone perhaps it is struggling to run some of the new ui. See if there is a low memory option that disables some of the new ram heavy ui features.

Failing that try a complete wipe and fresh install, might help.

over a year ago

Users experiencing abnormal lag or sluggishness will be happy to know that there are an array of fixes to try and help stabilize the performance of Android. The first potential fix that we recommend is a process that will clear the Galaxy S4’s cache partition. To clear the cache partition on the device, follow these steps:

Turn the Galaxy S4 off.

Press and hold Home, Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until the device vibrates.

When the Samsung logo appears, release them.

Tap Volume Down repeatedly until you Wipe Cache Partition. Select it with the power button. Select Yes.

Wait for the process to complete. It could take awhile.

Reboot your Galaxy S4.

We also recommend halting the use of live wallpapers, they can negatively impact performance. Users can also try toggling NFC off when it’s not in use because this could provide gains in performance.

Galaxy S4 users can also try turning off animations if performance really starts taking a tumble. To do this, hold down on a blank space on the screen, go to the Home Screen Settings then Transition effect and select None. Users can also try disabling some applications through Application Manager in device settings.

By *tep121 OP   Man
over a year ago

manchester

"What is the ram like on s4, being an older phone perhaps it is struggling to run some of the new ui. See if there is a low memory option that disables some of the new ram heavy ui features.

Failing that try a complete wipe and fresh install, might help."

Memory isnt a problem.. phone can still out perfom most computers, not just phones..

over a year ago

Everything seems fine on my unlocked htc M8

Except the battery seems to take longer to fully charge since the update.

over a year ago

Always check the minimum spec of your phone for the software before trying to upgrade

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

It's killed the battery life on my HTC One M7.

I want going to bother upgrading next month but it looks like I'll be getting the M9 now!

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

My 'phone keeps asking me to install it. I keep telling it no.

I'll probably do it eventually but for now, I don't want the hassle.

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

All fine here in my M7. Actually fixed some battery drain issues too.

Sorry, bet that doesn't help much!

*Him*

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

All fine on mine but the OH with the same phone is having to charge his battery more for some reason.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"All fine here in my M7. Actually fixed some battery drain issues too.

*Him*"

Nope, no help at all...it seems to be completely arbitrary; some people have problems, others don't .

HTC don't seem interested in addressing the problem either (or even acknowledging it, for that matter!)

over a year ago

Will be a conflict between the update and the phones kernel. My nexus 6 works better after 5.1

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

I'll see if 5.1 fixes it before throwing it in the sea then

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

Don't know if anyone's had any success fixing things recently, but I highly recommend XDA Developers. It's a massive community of hackers (the good kind!) and software devs the live to sort stuff like this out.

There's likely even some new ROMs you can flash that'll be completely bloatware free (I'm looking at you Samsung!).

Worth a shot anyway.

*Him*

over a year ago

*Him*

Nope, no help at all...it seems to be completely arbitrary; some people have problems, others don't .

HTC don't seem interested in addressing the problem either (or even acknowledging it, for that matter!)"

A few apps have stopped working on mine since the update. GTA Vice City and the Virgin Media app.

Nothing major but frustrating as I'm at work and I wanted to watch the finale of The Walking Dead tonight on it!

over a year ago

*Him*

HTC don't seem interested in addressing the problem either (or even acknowledging it, for that matter!)

A few apps have stopped working on mine since the update. GTA Vice City and the Virgin Media app.

Nothing major but frustrating as I'm at work and I wanted to watch the finale of The Walking Dead tonight on it!"

Virgin Media released an updated TV Anywhere app on the 16th March which is Lollipop compatible.

over a year ago

*Him*

Nothing major but frustrating as I'm at work and I wanted to watch the finale of The Walking Dead tonight on it!

Virgin Media released an updated TV Anywhere app on the 16th March which is Lollipop compatible."

Well it's not working on mine anymore!

over a year ago

*Him*

Virgin Media released an updated TV Anywhere app on the 16th March which is Lollipop compatible.

Well it's not working on mine anymore!"

Have you tried removing the app and reinstalling it from the play store?

over a year ago

*Him*

Well it's not working on mine anymore!

Have you tried removing the app and reinstalling it from the play store?"

Yes and restarted my phone several times. I had some success both toggling the VPN on and off as someone suggested elsewhere but the app was very unstable and crashed after a few minutes and then wouldn't accept my password.

I've sent a bug report to Virgin, see what comes from that I guess.

By *tep121 OP   Man
over a year ago

manchester

kinda solved the problem. Downloaded nova launcher. Some reason phone runs a lot quicker, no problems just yet (touch wood). Will be using this until google accepts there is a fault n updates lollipop

over a year ago

"kinda solved the problem. Downloaded nova launcher. Some reason phone runs a lot quicker, no problems just yet (touch wood). Will be using this until google accepts there is a fault n updates lollipop"

If nova launcher fixed the problem then its likely the default launcher that was the cause. A new launcher won't have any effect on lollipop itself. Pleased you found a solution though.

As your using downloaded launchers my personal favour is apex launcher. I recommend it highly.

Post new Message to Thread