Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

mortgage advisor needed

Jump to newest

By *ary bailey OP   Couple
over a year ago

basildon

I want to purchase a property with a partner say £200,000 we have say £144,000 to put down. so borrow 36% ltv. my main income at £12,000 pa partner income is £2,000 pa. How ever after purchase there will be an additional £4,500 income pa gross from letting of another property owned outright by partner. The idea is to keep second property as a back up if things don't work out or hopefully just as an investment. The extra money in will cover the mortgage cost on repayment term's over 25 years. Anyone know if it will be possible to get a mortgage ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Think you'll need to ask a mortgage advisor. They changed the borrowing rules, it doesn't just go off wages anymore.

over a year ago

"I want to purchase a property with a partner say £200,000 we have say £144,000 to put down. so borrow 36% ltv. my main income at £12,000 pa partner income is £2,000 pa. How ever after purchase there will be an additional £4,500 income pa gross from letting of another property owned outright by partner. The idea is to keep second property as a back up if things don't work out or hopefully just as an investment. The extra money in will cover the mortgage cost on repayment term's over 25 years. Anyone know if it will be possible to get a mortgage ? "

So you want to borrow 56 grand with an income of 14.... I would imagine you won't get the best deals but it is possible!

By *icky999Man
over a year ago

warrington

Buy land.

They dont make it any more

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"I want to purchase a property with a partner say £200,000 we have say £144,000 to put down. so borrow 36% ltv. my main income at £12,000 pa partner income is £2,000 pa. How ever after purchase there will be an additional £4,500 income pa gross from letting of another property owned outright by partner. The idea is to keep second property as a back up if things don't work out or hopefully just as an investment. The extra money in will cover the mortgage cost on repayment term's over 25 years. Anyone know if it will be possible to get a mortgage ? "

You need to speak to a mortgage advisor. The fact that you've got a hefty chunk of the payment should work in your favour but I seem to recall that with me and my ex BOTH earning £12,000pa each, we JUST about got a £25,000 mortgage... And I think they like at least 2 high earners on the mortgage, so not sure how it would work for your partner.

It depends on credit scores as well so nobody can tell you for sure without knowing your personal circumstances.

- Amy. x

over a year ago

basildon

Ta was hoping there may be a mortgage advisor on here. my credits always top notch. Few months ago I got a 6k credit card and bank happy to lend me 10k at 4.9% when I was looking at borrowing to pay moving fees.

over a year ago

Even if there was a mortgage advisor here, giving advice like that through this site would probably break FSA guidelines. There are very strict rules on offering advice.

over a year ago

Based on typical bank's lending criteria the likely upper range of a mortgage you could get is between

£38,000 and £50,000.

That was from the Money Saving Expert website.

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

Definitely get good independent advice, you might be as well mortgaging the other property on a buy to let mortgage and use that money along with your savings to buy the new property outright...

over a year ago

How the fuck do you get that bigger deposit from such crap income? Well I can assume inheritance unless you've robbed a bank.

My advice is to move to a cheaper part of the country and buy outright, sorry if you've lived your whole life in Essex there is really much better places.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"How the fuck do you get that bigger deposit from such crap income? Well I can assume inheritance unless you've robbed a bank.

."

Equity from another house?

over a year ago

basildon

"Definitely get good independent advice, you might be as well mortgaging the other property on a buy to let mortgage and use that money along with your savings to buy the new property outright... "
I did consider buy to let but brings in a whole new world off regulations and crap.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Ta was hoping there may be a mortgage advisor on here. my credits always top notch. Few months ago I got a 6k credit card and bank happy to lend me 10k at 4.9% when I was looking at borrowing to pay moving fees."

That might go against you as they may think you may have too much borrowing...but to be fair, I doubt if you will get an answer on here.

over a year ago

"Definitely get good independent advice, you might be as well mortgaging the other property on a buy to let mortgage and use that money along with your savings to buy the new property outright... I did consider buy to let but brings in a whole new world off regulations and crap. "

Honestly mate you've more than enough money to buy outright is another more pretty part of the country and still easily find a job paying 12K.

Interest rate are too low at the moment, yes too low, they are going to rise.

By *icolehertsCouple
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

"How the fuck do you get that bigger deposit from such crap income? Well I can assume inheritance unless you've robbed a bank.

My advice is to move to a cheaper part of the country and buy outright, sorry if you've lived your whole life in Essex there is really much better places."

And I thought all the old school mortgage advisors were locked up, quality advise Sir.

I wonder if you could help my Albanian cousin get a bridging loan to buy a castle in Hackney !

over a year ago

basildon

"Definitely get good independent advice, you might be as well mortgaging the other property on a buy to let mortgage and use that money along with your savings to buy the new property outright... I did consider buy to let but brings in a whole new world off regulations and crap.

Honestly mate you've more than enough money to buy outright is another more pretty part of the country and still easily find a job paying 12K.

Interest rate are too low at the moment, yes too low, they are going to rise. "

family ties me here lived here all my life too. I did want a 5 year fixed to avoid interest rates. 3 years time I plan to go back to full time work. As only work parti me at mo

over a year ago

"Definitely get good independent advice, you might be as well mortgaging the other property on a buy to let mortgage and use that money along with your savings to buy the new property outright... I did consider buy to let but brings in a whole new world off regulations and crap.

Interest rate are too low at the moment, yes too low, they are going to rise. family ties me here lived here all my life too. I did want a 5 year fixed to avoid interest rates. 3 years time I plan to go back to full time work. As only work parti me at mo "

You must go with what you think is right, but 5 years is not a long time, don't look at the repayments look at how much you're borrowing, you could find your rate at 5 years 1 month at 15%, it could happen, most I ever paid was 19%.

Borrow at a level you earn today, forget 3 years, and keep it to the least amount possible.

By *ocknrollerMan
over a year ago

the sticks

Just an opinion, I'm not a mortgage advisor at all. But could you just live in the property your partner already owns, and keep the 114 grand?

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

"Definitely get good independent advice, you might be as well mortgaging the other property on a buy to let mortgage and use that money along with your savings to buy the new property outright... I did consider buy to let but brings in a whole new world off regulations and crap. "

My buy to let mortgages were as simple as any other mortgage ive had. Like I said get good independent advice.

over a year ago

basildon

"Just an opinion, I'm not a mortgage advisor at all. But could you just live in the property your partner already owns, and keep the 114 grand? "
would be nice spending spree lol. Might just sell and get a 1 bed flat to rent. Rather than mortgage.

By *uttyjonnMan
over a year ago

cheshire

"Just an opinion, I'm not a mortgage advisor at all. But could you just live in the property your partner already owns, and keep the 114 grand? "

Or sell this ones and have a smaller or no mortgage. There are large set-up mortgage fees nowadays which you need to consider - fortunately it looks like the income from your rental should be tax free (if lived in for some time) - best advice is pay for some good advice - good luck

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"Just an opinion, I'm not a mortgage advisor at all. But could you just live in the property your partner already owns, and keep the 114 grand? would be nice spending spree lol. Might just sell and get a 1 bed flat to rent. Rather than mortgage. "

Don't piss your money away on rent. You'll end up in a hole and have nothing to show for it. x

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/03/15 22:04:29]

over a year ago

"Based on typical bank's lending criteria the likely upper range of a mortgage you could get is between

£38,000 and £50,000.

"

Which is why I'm renting.

I'm relatively comfortable. But I still cannot buy the house I want.

I wouldn't be able to buy the house I'm currently renting.

I could, but I'd need to get myself into debt to prove I can handle a mortgage.

And that makes zero fucking sense to me.

over a year ago

basildon

"Just an opinion, I'm not a mortgage advisor at all. But could you just live in the property your partner already owns, and keep the 114 grand? would be nice spending spree lol. Might just sell and get a 1 bed flat to rent. Rather than mortgage.

Don't piss your money away on rent. You'll end up in a hole and have nothing to show for it. x"

think you miss understood. Id sell house and buy a flat outright to rent out to someone else. If I can't keep new and and partners home via a mortgage

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/03/15 22:14:44]

over a year ago

"You need a broker.

And this thread needs to be deleted..you have just til anyone who reads the forum on the internet your financial position... "

over a year ago

"Just an opinion, I'm not a mortgage advisor at all. But could you just live in the property your partner already owns, and keep the 114 grand? would be nice spending spree lol. Might just sell and get a 1 bed flat to rent. Rather than mortgage.

Don't piss your money away on rent. You'll end up in a hole and have nothing to show for it. x"

Nothing wrong with renting, if that best for you. Think of interest as rent, there is not that much difference.

A house is not an investment like a business, the profit you get off a house minus the interest a business would be bust in, actually wouldn't go bust no bank would lend you any money. in the first place. Disregard any increase in value unless you plan to sell up and live in the street.

over a year ago

"You need a broker.

And this thread needs to be deleted..you have just til anyone who reads the forum on the internet your financial position... "

It baffles me the things people are willing to tell on this forum.

over a year ago

I would forget about buying a house for 3 years!

The market is setting up for a fall soon and I think that would obviously be a better time to buy.

Personally I think there'll have to be market corrections throughout the system very soon, that means stocks, houses and money on a downward trend.

What will be a good investment is a different question altogether!

over a year ago

As every investment manager will know - spread 'em!

The investments that is! Lol

over a year ago

"I would forget about buying a house for 3 years!

The market is setting up for a fall soon and I think that would obviously be a better time to buy.

Personally I think there'll have to be market corrections throughout the system very soon, that means stocks, houses and money on a downward trend.

What will be a good investment is a different question altogether!"

I believe you could be right.

over a year ago

Interest rate are too low at the moment, yes too low, they are going to rise. "

I'm just buying a 3 bed mid victorian terrace that needs no work doing on it (vendors have been there 30 years and in the last 10 have done it top to bottom, all wood flooring, original fireplaces throughout, stone flooring in the kitchen, solid wood kitchen with belfast sink) for £78500 in Bolton.

The OP could buy that sort of property outright, have money in the bank and just get a part time job to keep them out of mischief

over a year ago

79 grand seems like a reasonable price for a house, unfortunately the average house price is now 250,000 with the average wage at 26,000 pounds that's ten times income.

Now in 1980 the average house price was 18000

The average wage 8000

This figure of around two - two and half times income was pretty consistent from 1955-1980.

Thatcher changed all that!.

The average house price in 1988 was 69,000 up 3x ish

That was still the average price until 1999

Today it's 250,000 up 3x ish

By *otgymfitanymoreCouple
over a year ago

pontefract

A friend of mine is buying a 4 bed detached house on a new build estate ( not sure how much for)

He earns £13000 per year and his girlfriend is still at uni but they are taking into account her predicted earnings!

Not sure how that makes sense at all!

over a year ago

Don't piss your money away on rent. You'll end up in a hole and have nothing to show for it. x

Nothing wrong with renting, if that best for you. Think of interest as rent, there is not that much difference.

A house is not an investment like a business, the profit you get off a house minus the interest a business would be bust in, actually wouldn't go bust no bank would lend you any money. in the first place. Disregard any increase in value unless you plan to sell up and live in the street."

That's a good point about the interest and one that's rarely quoted.

I just had a rough calculation if you'd bought the average house in 1999 on a standard 25 year repayment mortgage.

Cost of house would have been 69,000.

But you'd have actually paid 120,000 for it over the 25 years with the interest applied.

But people still say I paid 69 grand for this in 1999

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

A house is not an investment like a business, the profit you get off a house minus the interest a business would be bust in, actually wouldn't go bust no bank would lend you any money. in the first place. Disregard any increase in value unless you plan to sell up and live in the street..

That's a good point about the interest and one that's rarely quoted.

I just had a rough calculation if you'd bought the average house in 1999 on a standard 25 year repayment mortgage.

Cost of house would have been 69,000.

But you'd have actually paid 120,000 for it over the 25 years with the interest applied.

But people still say I paid 69 grand for this in 1999"

Which is why when they sell it for £120k it's not a doubling of their investment and they will still have to spend at least that to buy somewhere else in which to live.

over a year ago

basildon

"A friend of mine is buying a 4 bed detached house on a new build estate ( not sure how much for)

He earns £13000 per year and his girlfriend is still at uni but they are taking into account her predicted earnings!

Not sure how that makes sense at all!"

sounds pretty awesome lol a new build, 4 bed near me is £309,950

over a year ago

I am no advisor, but being doing this for over 12 years. If you starting bring in your rented property in as income the mortgage company will say fine, but will request a SA302 form. Which you will need to ask from the lovely people at HMRC this can take upto 2 weeks to process, but remember you need of declared the rented property otherwise it will not show up on the SA302 form. (And you could get in trouble from HMRC for not telling them about the rented property). Also if you have not rented out the property for a full financial year then SA302 form is pointless.

Back to your loan against your income you need to be aware of the MMR rules, which will cause you problems I think. I can help you with that just ask its all above board just being a bit smart in the way you do things.

If I was you I would go to your existing lender on the rented property and ask for a extended loan for refurbishment. Once you got that money you can use it for the new property. Also you will pay less tax I can explain, if you want just ask.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam

over a year ago

basildon

"I want to purchase a property with a partner say £200,000 we have say £144,000 to put down. so borrow 36% ltv. my main income at £12,000 pa partner income is £2,000 pa. How ever after purchase there will be an additional £4,500 income pa gross from letting of another property owned outright by partner. The idea is to keep second property as a back up if things don't work out or hopefully just as an investment. The extra money in will cover the mortgage cost on repayment term's over 25 years. Anyone know if it will be possible to get a mortgage ?

I am no advisor, but being doing this for over 12 years. If you starting bring in your rented property in as income the mortgage company will say fine, but will request a SA302 form. Which you will need to ask from the lovely people at HMRC this can take upto 2 weeks to process, but remember you need of declared the rented property otherwise it will not show up on the SA302 form. (And you could get in trouble from HMRC for not telling them about the rented property). Also if you have not rented out the property for a full financial year then SA302 form is pointless.

Back to your loan against your income you need to be aware of the MMR rules, which will cause you problems I think. I can help you with that just ask its all above board just being a bit smart in the way you do things.

If I was you I would go to your existing lender on the rented property and ask for a extended loan for refurbishment. Once you got that money you can use it for the new property. Also you will pay less tax I can explain, if you want just ask.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam"

thanks Sam that makes sense seems I might get through on the mmr reading up on it. As it's based on affordability and can still go interest only. If they take second property as collateral for repaying mortgage over 5 year term all will be good. Have been contacted by an advisor going to chat with them tomorrow. As there potential income increases doesn't think it will be an issue but explains why a friend lost there mortgage offer after she gloated excitedly about falling pregnant. Abortion or house you choose. Was pretty much the option she had.

over a year ago

I'm not an advisor but going on a standard formula of 3+1 (incomes) you'd be better off having the £4500 in your name. Less tax efficient but will get you the higher loan.

I still doubt you'll be able to borrow £56k.

Have you also factored in ALL the professional fees, expenses and any legal costs in all of this potential arrangement?

over a year ago

basildon

My advice is to move to a cheaper part of the country and buy outright, sorry if you've lived your whole life in Essex there is really much better places."

from buying a house 16 years ago for £28k

over a year ago

basildon

"You need a broker.

that I've not got a pot to pee in cause it's tied up in property and only cause house values have gone up and both houses where bought cheap due to being repos.

over a year ago

basildon

"

I'm not an advisor but going on a standard formula of 3+1 (incomes) you'd be better off having the £4500 in your name. Less tax efficient but will get you the higher loan.

Have you also factored in ALL the professional fees, expenses and any legal costs in all of this potential arrangement?"

yep two lots off selling and buying legal fees plus removal costs and one lot of estate agent fees and survey plus mortgage fee. They are steep now,2k some off them.

over a year ago

if you have 144 k buy a house within budget not for 200 k - then rent out the other property you have and build up some more savings -

over a year ago

basildon

"if you have 144 k buy a house within budget not for 200 k - then rent out the other property you have and build up some more savings - "
would be nice but partner won't move into mine and it's not practical for me to move to hers. Hence buying somewhere else but just wondered if we could hold onto two property's incase it dint work out. Partner could increase income slightly by claiming jsa but there such arseholes

over a year ago

"

Have you also factored in ALL the professional fees, expenses and any legal costs in all of this potential arrangement? yep two lots off selling and buying legal fees plus removal costs and one lot of estate agent fees and survey plus mortgage fee. They are steep now,2k some off them. "

Good job the Stamp Duty has come down a lot lately, certainly in the price brackets you're looking at.

Maggie Thatcher indeed.

over a year ago

basildon

"if you have 144 k buy a house within budget not for 200 k - then rent out the other property you have and build up some more savings - "
sorry slightly miss read. You can't buy a house for less than £180000 where we live

over a year ago

"if you have 144 k buy a house within budget not for 200 k - then rent out the other property you have and build up some more savings - sorry slightly miss read. You can't buy a house for less than £180000 where we live "

really - not one house for less than that - blimey

over a year ago

basildon

"if you have 144 k buy a house within budget not for 200 k - then rent out the other property you have and build up some more savings - sorry slightly miss read. You can't buy a house for less than £180000 where we live

really - not one house for less than that - blimey"

yep expensive in southeast loners have really pushed the prices up my cuz just bought a poky two bed for 178k

over a year ago

Really ?

Can't believe you've asked this on here.

Go and see an advisor

over a year ago

"

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam"

Oh yes! Commit fraud! Great idea!

This is exactly why you don't ask for specialist advice on a singers site.

over a year ago

*swingers

over a year ago

"

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam

This is exactly why you don't ask for specialist advice on a singers site. "

Apart from declaring the purpose the equity release on the property is for, if the lender is happy to loan the money its not actually mortgage fraud.

Many people release equity in their houses to buy cars or boats etc. Releasing equity to part finance a second home is perfectly feasible.

over a year ago

"if you have 144 k buy a house within budget not for 200 k - then rent out the other property you have and build up some more savings - sorry slightly miss read. You can't buy a house for less than £180000 where we live "

____

around 24 houses (excluding flats) in the Basildon + 5 miles range for between £140 & £180k on zoopla

Just saying

over a year ago

"

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam

This is exactly why you don't ask for specialist advice on a singers site. "

It's not fraud it's being smart.

over a year ago

"I want to purchase a property with a partner say £200,000 we have say £144,000 to put down. so borrow 36% ltv. my main income at £12,000 pa partner income is £2,000 pa. How ever after purchase there will be an additional £4,500 income pa gross from letting of another property owned outright by partner. The idea is to keep second property as a back up if things don't work out or hopefully just as an investment. The extra money in will cover the mortgage cost on repayment term's over 25 years. Anyone know if it will be possible to get a mortgage ?

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam thanks Sam that makes sense seems I might get through on the mmr reading up on it. As it's based on affordability and can still go interest only. If they take second property as collateral for repaying mortgage over 5 year term all will be good. Have been contacted by an advisor going to chat with them tomorrow. As there potential income increases doesn't think it will be an issue but explains why a friend lost there mortgage offer after she gloated excitedly about falling pregnant. Abortion or house you choose. Was pretty much the option she had. "

No problem all the best.

over a year ago

"Even if there was a mortgage advisor here, giving advice like that through this site would probably break FSA guidelines. There are very strict rules on offering advice.

"

FCA now!

Post new Message to Thread