Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

expats

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just read an interesting article it's says the term expatriate means someone working and settling and different country temporary or permanent...So my question is why is it when European personnel go abroad they are called expats and when people from other countries settle in Europe they are called immigrants..?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

One is going out, the other is coming in.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm just relieved you haven't called all those Europeans who settle abroad "colonials".

Many still do.

"You want a burger with those fries?"

By *allipygousMan
over a year ago

Leicester

"Just read an interesting article it's says the term expatriate means someone working and settling and different country temporary or permanent...So my question is why is it when European personnel go abroad they are called expats and when people from other countries settle in Europe they are called immigrants..?"

I'm confident the citizens of the countries they've moved to call them immigrants.

over a year ago

"Just read an interesting article it's says the term expatriate means someone working and settling and different country temporary or permanent...So my question is why is it when European personnel go abroad they are called expats and when people from other countries settle in Europe they are called immigrants..?

I'm confident the citizens of the countries they've moved to call them immigrants."

And that the remaining people in the countries they've departed from, eg South Africa, Australians would call them ex-pats too.

But then they would as those quoted use English as their language.

By *allipygousMan
over a year ago

Leicester

"Just read an interesting article it's says the term expatriate means someone working and settling and different country temporary or permanent...So my question is why is it when European personnel go abroad they are called expats and when people from other countries settle in Europe they are called immigrants..?

I'm confident the citizens of the countries they've moved to call them immigrants.

And that the remaining people in the countries they've departed from, eg South Africa, Australians would call them ex-pats too.

But then they would as those quoted use English as their language. "

Hmmm, I'm sure the indigenous populatios of those countries you've exampled would dispute that English is their language.

over a year ago

"Just read an interesting article it's says the term expatriate means someone working and settling and different country temporary or permanent...So my question is why is it when European personnel go abroad they are called expats and when people from other countries settle in Europe they are called immigrants..?"

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

[Removed by poster at 26/03/15 17:07:56]

over a year ago

Hahaha I think I read this article on facebook lol

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago