Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

SNP dropping the ball

Jump to newest

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

(Thought I'd create a new thread - as it might be worth it)

With Salmond dropping the ball about SNP intentions to enter Westminster and ousting any PM. It does make you wonder if Mr Ed Miliband and him being voted in by the Unions was a patsy undertaking from the start?

He was no way the better choice for the party.

Is this a conspiracy theory, or do you think it has legs? Is it actually possible? Fab it's over to you

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Not so much 'dropping the ball' as the next step in Salmon's 'piss off the English' campaign.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

It sounds a highly feasible way of 1. potentially manipulating UK politics to such an unthinkable degree (putting a pm of their choosing in?) 2/ if successful, to have radical impact on future Scotland policies?

(if they actually gain coalition that is and conspiracy theories aside)

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

lol,,no one can whinge about it,the torries ,labour and most of the uk begged us to stay.

over a year ago

the snp will do what is best for the ppl of scotland

over a year ago

"the snp will do what is best for the ppl of scotland "

By *ckleticklesWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"lol,,no one can whinge about it,the torries ,labour and most of the uk begged us to stay."

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

The SNP will do what's best for the SNP.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"the snp will do what is best for the ppl of scotland

The SNP will do what's best for the SNP."

this..

like all political parties..

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

I suspect the SNP will do whatever seems best for Alex and Nicola (in that order). As for the assertion that they would block any Conservative Queen's speech (even if it offered them the Scots moon on a stick?); I can think of no better way of bringing Cameron and Milliband together.

over a year ago

the snp have done more for scotland in 9yrs than the red tories done in 80yrs,long may it continue

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

the snp have done more for scotland in 9yrs than the red tories done in 80yrs,long may it continue"

Does that include bringing Thatcher to power?

over a year ago

I suspect the SNP will do whatever seems best for Alex and Nicola (in that order). As for the assertion that they would block any Conservative Queen's speech (even if it offered them the Scots moon on a stick?); I can think of no better way of bringing Cameron and Milliband together."

most ppl in scotland see no difference between the red and blue tories same policies thats why they will be wiped out at the GE

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I suspect the SNP will do whatever seems best for Alex and Nicola (in that order). As for the assertion that they would block any Conservative Queen's speech (even if it offered them the Scots moon on a stick?); I can think of no better way of bringing Cameron and Milliband together.

most ppl in scotland see no difference between the red and blue tories same policies thats why they will be wiped out at the GE"

Is that why the Tartan Tories lost the Referendum?

over a year ago

the snp have done more for scotland in 9yrs than the red tories done in 80yrs,long may it continue

Does that include bringing Thatcher to power?"

it probably did ,but even when scotland did vote labour we got a tory goverment anyway so now going by the polls most ppl trust the snp to do whats best for scotland

over a year ago

most ppl in scotland see no difference between the red and blue tories same policies thats why they will be wiped out at the GE

Is that why the Tartan Tories lost the Referendum?"

the referendum is over _nny the unionists won and now they will have to put up with the snp having a greater say at westminister

over a year ago

So long tories do not get back i do not care highly likely whoever gets in will need in vote by vote basis to get stuff through parliament from other parties.

Tories will beg for ukip and irish for support so why snp are being berated beats me fact is each party looks after itself and not whats best for country.

At least snp are being blunt about what they want libdems are the worst they dont have principles as soon as in power fucked over the students who they championed at last election.

I am not scottish or any interest in snp I am pro nhs and its dead if tories get back in so its that simple for me back door deals are ok for me if nhs is saved from total destruction

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

it probably did ,but even when scotland did vote labour we got a tory goverment anyway so now going by the polls most ppl trust the snp to do whats best for scotland "

Don't get too wet knickered by polls. Remember Sept 2014.

over a year ago

it probably did ,but even when scotland did vote labour we got a tory goverment anyway so now going by the polls most ppl trust the snp to do whats best for scotland

Don't get too wet knickered by polls. Remember Sept 2014."

you are stuck in the past _nny still going on about the referendum

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Better to remember 2014 than 1314!

over a year ago

"Better to remember 2014 than 1314!"

oh I hope so,so the people of Scotland remember the false promises given by the uk and the extreme bias from the bbc

over a year ago

Couldn't give a shit about any of them.

We will be in the majority "The not voting Party"

over a year ago

So right - where is the talk of going alone now ? Oil price dropping through the bottom and SNP now saying their figures were not right.

It's nothing to do with the man/woman off the street it's about their own megalomania and their own pockets.

Why was the Union created ? Look at history Scotland was broke and the Merks were 12 to 1 Pound...that was the big reason for the Union nothing else...and why did it happen ? Because politics wanted a share of their own Scottish colonies and broke the bank doing it... See even 300 years ago it was about their pockets and their fortunes not the people's !

over a year ago

If the SNP has huge influence in the next parliament they will effectively get "independence" for Scotland by stealth. God help the English, Welsh and Irish who will pay through the nose for it.

over a year ago

"If the SNP has huge influence in the next parliament they will effectively get "independence" for Scotland by stealth. God help the English, Welsh and Irish who will pay through the nose for it. "

well all your westminester parties wanted us to stay so why shouldnt we have influence ,why will use pay through the nose if we become independent ?

over a year ago

"Couldn't give a shit about any of them.

We will be in the majority "The not voting Party""

don't complain then.

over a year ago

So right - where is the talk of going alone now ? Oil price dropping through the bottom and SNP now saying their figures were not right.

It's nothing to do with the man/woman off the street it's about their own megalomania and their own pockets.

Why was the Union created ? Look at history Scotland was broke and the Merks were 12 to 1 Pound...that was the big reason for the Union nothing else...and why did it happen ? Because politics wanted a share of their own Scottish colonies and broke the bank doing it... See even 300 years ago it was about their pockets and their fortunes not the people's !

"

if you look you will see everyone got their prices wrong on oil not just snp

over a year ago

"If the SNP has huge influence in the next parliament they will effectively get "independence" for Scotland by stealth. God help the English, Welsh and Irish who will pay through the nose for it.

well all your westminester parties wanted us to stay so why shouldnt we have influence ,why will use pay through the nose if we become independent ?"

lol,,yeap they pleaded n begged for us to stay,,well here we are

over a year ago

"If the SNP has huge influence in the next parliament they will effectively get "independence" for Scotland by stealth. God help the English, Welsh and Irish who will pay through the nose for it.

well all your westminester parties wanted us to stay so why shouldnt we have influence ,why will use pay through the nose if we become independent ?

lol,,yeap they pleaded n begged for us to stay,,well here we are "

over a year ago

The SNP have the ball on the hallway line,swinney plays a lovely curling ball on to the edge of Westminster's penalty box,salmond rises outjumping Miliband n heads it through to Sturgeon she nutmegs Osbourne,,,SHOOTS and the ball flys past a floundering Cameron into to the net! ,,,GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

so who dropped the baw?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

if you look you will see everyone got their prices wrong on oil not just snp"

And that makes it OK?

over a year ago

Oh yeah, tell that to the soon to be ex workers at Longannet. (sp?)

over a year ago

By *icklybitMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"

Oh yeah, tell that to the soon to be ex workers at Longannet. (sp?)"

But they have offered £40m for the V&A in Dumdee.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

But they have offered £40m for the V&A in Dumdee. "

Guess who the MSP and MP are.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

well all your westminester parties wanted us to stay so why shouldnt we have influence ,why will use pay through the nose if we become independent ?"

Sorry for starting this, leaving it, and re-entering it late.

It was a bit of a devils advocate thread to get gain opinion but to point out....you do realise who the power house is that is funding Scotland right? That would be England, yes?.

I am not a nationalist, I am just pointing that out. By wrecking and potentially installing some kind of quango divisive government to meet you own funding needs the source of your funding would be killed off and made bankrupt as no-one capable would be able to run the countries economy!

Have you thunk your thinkin through?

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

Does that include bringing Thatcher to power?"

In 1979 the Tories won 339 seats, labour 269, out of a total of 635 seats - a majority of 43 seats. There were 28 seats that labour didn't win in Scotland, of which 22 were Tory. Even if labour had won all scottish seats, this would have put them on only 297 seats, with Tories on 317... one short of an outright majority. The Tories would still have formed the 1979 government.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't stand Thatcher, but to say the SNP were responsible for getting her in in 1979 doesn't seem to me to be a legitimate point.

And bear in mind that in the 1983 general election, the tories won by a clear margin of 397 seats to labour's 209...

over a year ago

I note the "your Westminister parties" in your post. You are still part of the United Kingdom and there are 59 Scotish MPs in Westminister. That is 9.1% of Parliament for 8.26% of the British population; and you have control over most of your own affairs.

So 5.2 million Scots will make 59 million English, Welsh and Irish "dance to their tune"; and if they have the power; Hell! Why not?

I guess it is the same as when the 600,000 super rich make the other 63 million plus dance to their tune when the Conservatives are in absolute power. I love Democracy.

over a year ago

If the People of Scotland who hated Westminster were in the majority they would have voted to leave, They wernt so they are still here..Suck it up nobody likes a sore loser

Gimp

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

"

I am not scottish or any interest in snp I am pro nhs and its dead if tories get back in so its that simple for me back door deals are ok for me if nhs is saved from total destruction"

If you are really interested in the NHS you will know that labour privatised more of it than the Conservatives and that the Conservatives have given more money to the NHS than Labour.

Don't listen to the hype look at the facts

By *abrina59TV/TS
over a year ago

submissive land

Politics so changed all politians are in it for the power& the money now mostly what they can earn on the side as a politician or pay a member of their family for doing nothing

And its the general public who pay through the nose no matter which party holds power tories labour snp makes no difference

over a year ago

As a person who was delighted when there was a hung parliament last time, lets have good old have to argue it out and compromise, have been very disappointed with the Liberals, weak and pathetic performance which will see them wiped out this time. Serves them right.

I hope a load of parties SNP, UKIP, Plaid Cymru, get a load of seats and really mix it up a bit. Nothing wrong with a little political instability.

over a year ago

If anyone watched the series Borgen about the Danish politics you will have a good insight into the politics of minority government. It is all about compromise, paying off political debts and seeking to discredit the opposition.

If the SNP hold the balance of power they will seek to fulfill their SNP pledges and not work for the benefit of the UK as a whole except where it suits their purposes. You cannot blame them and in the absence if an English parliament the English will find themselves at a disadvantage.

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

Regardless of SNP policy, is it in anyway democratic for 90% of the UK electorate coming under the control of a political party they had no opportunity to vote for?

Scotland may not like, or vote for Labour or Conservative but at least they have the opportunity.

The People of Scotland would be aggrieved to find the DUP holding the levers of power in the Scottish Parliament, the principle is the same.

Personally I would favour either a full Federal system with independent Parliaments under a Federal Govt, or Independence for every Nation.

I suspect the Scots Nationalists are cock a hoop at the idea of upsetting the English (and possibly Welsh) electorate so much that the backlash will lead to Scottish Independence, personally I think that would be for the best but I'm in a minority in that - for the moment.

I have read that Salmond's electorate are coming together to keep him out of Westminster by voting LibDem, that would be funny if it happened.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

No, they will do what is most likely to achieve their main policy goal which is to break up the UK. Whether that is in the best interests of the Scotland is debatable point but the Scottish people have already given their verdict on the debate in a referendum. I'm pretty sure they voted against Scottish separation but why let democracy get in the way.

over a year ago

We the English wish we had a vote to get rid of the Scots...how we would be laughing now with the oil prices....massive chips on Scottish shoulders .

Loved the song by the England football supporters singing "fuckoff Scotland were all voting yes"

over a year ago

over a year ago

"

should it not be whats best for the uk though?

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

Get our imported Poles to rebuild the wall.......

over a year ago

there is no need to worry , nothing untoward will happen in the coming election , all this panic of jock hordes coming down to westminster is a load of pish , i very much doubt if they can re elect the mp's they have at the moment never mind elect whole tribes of them , it was proved in the referendum they had up there that the jocks just dont have a pair of balls , they had the chance to vote for something radical and bottled it , it will be the same this time round , they will do what they usualy do , milliband has a puppet up there - guy called murphy who is absolutly sold on the idea of taxing rich folks in england to pay for stuff in jock land , they will go and vote for him and that will keep the labour lads in the race for the money pot without having to go cap in hand to a bunch of losers like the nationalist partys

over a year ago

"there is no need to worry , nothing untoward will happen in the coming election , all this panic of jock hordes coming down to westminster is a load of pish , i very much doubt if they can re elect the mp's they have at the moment never mind elect whole tribes of them , it was proved in the referendum they had up there that the jocks just dont have a pair of balls , they had the chance to vote for something radical and bottled it , it will be the same this time round , they will do what they usualy do , milliband has a puppet up there - guy called murphy who is absolutly sold on the idea of taxing rich folks in england to pay for stuff in jock land , they will go and vote for him and that will keep the labour lads in the race for the money pot without having to go cap in hand to a bunch of losers like the nationalist partys "

hahahaha we can smell the fear from hear from all the nigellanders lol

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"it was proved in the referendum they had up there that the jocks just dont have a pair of balls, they had the chance to vote for something radical and bottled it,"

Or maybe they looked at the issues and decided that the radical idea was not the best idea and had the balls to not vote for it?

Just a thought!!

over a year ago

I was gobsmacked that the Scots didn't go, I really was.

The opportunity to carve their own destiny, all those people claiming how versitile, innovative and full of confidence the scotish people are/can be should they win an independent future.

Now all we seem to hear is underhand scheming scots and the destruction of the union.

It will all end badly, probably for the Scottish!

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"I was gobsmacked that the Scots didn't go, I really was.

The opportunity to carve their own destiny, all those people claiming how versitile, innovative and full of confidence the scotish people are/can be should they win an independent future.

Now all we seem to hear is underhand scheming scots and the destruction of the union.

It will all end badly, probably for the Scottish!"

I'm not that surprised they didn't go for seperation; after all the Union was a Scottish idea in the first place. Added to that that most 'Scots' in the Glasgow, Borders and Edinburgh areas not actually of Celtic origin but Anglo Saxon or Norse (Just like most people in Cumberland and North East England) and have many family, cultural and business ties across the border. Scottish independence would not only have been a disaster for Scotland it would have been a disaster for the whole of Middle Britain to.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

No, they will do what is most likely to achieve their main policy goal which is to break up the UK. Whether that is in the best interests of the Scotland is debatable point but the Scottish people have already given their verdict on the debate in a referendum. I'm pretty sure they voted against Scottish separation but why let democracy get in the way. "

over a year ago

"The SNP have the ball on the hallway line,swinney plays a lovely curling ball on to the edge of Westminster's penalty box,salmond rises outjumping Miliband n heads it through to Sturgeon she nutmegs Osbourne,,,SHOOTS and the ball flys past a floundering Cameron into to the net! ,,,GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

so who dropped the baw? "

long ball upto the big man?, does that make Salmond Emile Heskey or Andy Carrol?

By *ckleticklesWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"The SNP have the ball on the hallway line,swinney plays a lovely curling ball on to the edge of Westminster's penalty box,salmond rises outjumping Miliband n heads it through to Sturgeon she nutmegs Osbourne,,,SHOOTS and the ball flys past a floundering Cameron into to the net! ,,,GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

so who dropped the baw? "

Fucking love you! Lol x

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Oh yeah, tell that to the soon to be ex workers at Longannet. (sp?)"

And 220 more at Rolls Royce.

over a year ago

And 220 more at Rolls Royce."

you know _nny that longannet closing has nothing to do with snp,its scottish power closing it cause they missed out on a contract ,you really are reverting to usual labour lies

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

you know _nny that longannet closing has nothing to do with snp,its scottish power closing it cause they missed out on a contract ,you really are reverting to usual labour lies "

Leaving aside the fact that Longannet wasn't MY example, the nature of government is that you're responsible for what happens on your watch - even if you have your eyes shut.

over a year ago

I for one welcome our new Scottish overlords...

over a year ago

If there is another hung parliament, although one party may have to make a deal with another to form a government, don't be fooled into thiking that the lesser party forming the coalition will hold the balance of power. Look at the current government. Clegg has been a puppet and nothing more. How easily he caved on tuition fees, and god knows what else that we don't know about. Holding the so called balance of power to form a government, does not necessarily mean you end up with that power once in government. Deals will be talked about, promises made and most will come to nought.

What we should be concerned about, is that we thought that we suffered through cuts and austerity for the last 5 years, yet it has been made very public, that bigger and harder cuts will come whom ever forms the next parliament.

And lets not forget the thousands now using food banks, those in fuel poverty, thousands homeless etc. How in a country as rich as our can this be allowed to happen.

All i can say, is that under another tory government the gap between the haves and have nots will widen even more.

over a year ago

"

But they have offered £40m for the V&A in Dumdee. "

Dumdee..

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"If there is another hung parliament, although one party may have to make a deal with another to form a government, don't be fooled into thiking that the lesser party forming the coalition will hold the balance of power. Look at the current government. Clegg has been a puppet and nothing more. How easily he caved on tuition fees, and god knows what else that we don't know about. Holding the so called balance of power to form a government, does not necessarily mean you end up with that power once in government. Deals will be talked about, promises made and most will come to nought.

What we should be concerned about, is that we thought that we suffered through cuts and austerity for the last 5 years, yet it has been made very public, that bigger and harder cuts will come whom ever forms the next parliament.

And lets not forget the thousands now using food banks, those in fuel poverty, thousands homeless etc. How in a country as rich as our can this be allowed to happen.

All i can say, is that under another tory government the gap between the haves and have nots will widen even more."

But the gap between the rich and the poor as actually reduced over the last 5 years whereas it increased year on year in the 15 years before. Just remind yourselves who was in power over the last 5 years and who was in power for the 15 years before.

over a year ago

you know _nny that longannet closing has nothing to do with snp,its scottish power closing it cause they missed out on a contract ,you really are reverting to usual labour lies

Leaving aside the fact that Longannet wasn't MY example, the nature of government is that you're responsible for what happens on your watch - even if you have your eyes shut."

what a load of bull you cant force companys to keep plant open you can only negotiate,but hey you stick to the liebour tactics

over a year ago

If you honestly believe the gap bewteen rich and poor has decreased, then why are there over 900,000 people using food banks ? Why has there been more deaths through fuel poverty than at another time. The government don't even keep records of people using food banks !

over a year ago

"Get our imported Poles to rebuild the wall......."
Their grand parents would in kind for helping to Kick hitlers arse.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Leaving aside the fact that Longannet wasn't MY example, the nature of government is that you're responsible for what happens on your watch - even if you have your eyes shut.

what a load of bull you cant force companys to keep plant open you can only negotiate,but hey you stick to the liebour tactics "

The Tartan Tories chose to keep Prestwick Airport open.

over a year ago

"If you honestly believe the gap bewteen rich and poor has decreased, then why are there over 900,000 people using food banks ? Why has there been more deaths through fuel poverty than at another time. The government don't even keep records of people using food banks ! "

well said

over a year ago

what a load of bull you cant force companys to keep plant open you can only negotiate,but hey you stick to the liebour tactics

The Tartan Tories chose to keep Prestwick Airport open."

and your point is?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

and your point is?"

It isn't just about negotiation - sometimes you have to make a decision.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"If you honestly believe the gap bewteen rich and poor has decreased, then why are there over 900,000 people using food banks ? Why has there been more deaths through fuel poverty than at another time. The government don't even keep records of people using food banks ! "

I never said the poor had got richer, although from the statistics some could even argue that, I would not. What I said was the GAP between the rich and the poor had got less. Here's how.

The average household income in Britain has fallen by four per cent - equivalent to £1,200 in real terms - since the economic crisis began in 2007-08.

But the overall figure masks huge variations between different groups. The average income of the WEALTHIEST fifth of households has DROPPED by 6.8 per cent - equivalent to £4,200 - as middle-class earnings fell.

Over the same period the income of the WORST-OFF fifth INCREASED by 6.9 per cent - equivalent to £700 - because of rises in the income tax threshold and changes to benefit levels.

Source:- Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Check the facts!!

But then you wouldn't want the facts get in the way of a good political point, would you?

over a year ago

and your point is?

It isn't just about negotiation - sometimes you have to make a decision."

so you are saying its up to the snp if longannet stays open ?

over a year ago

They will do what is best for their own party. If they wanted the best for the people of Scotland they would have never suggested independence in the first place! Economic disaster....

By *lshere77Man
over a year ago

Wigan

The scots had a referendum and decided to remain in the Unoin....the SNP are still talking about independence. ...they obviously don't understand or respect for democracy or the people who votes.....Alex needs to remember he is retired and the Sturge needs to wind her rhetorical neck in

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

and your point is?

It isn't just about negotiation - sometimes you have to make a decision.

so you are saying its up to the snp if longannet stays open ?"

I think he's saying if they are the government then they should take responsibility for the bad as well as the good. Or is the SNP just in power but not in control in Scotland.

By *lshere77Man
over a year ago

Wigan

You need to understand that in theoopinion of the SNP it has to be, always will be and cannot be anything but the fault of the English........they are nationally unable to be responsible for any bad news.

over a year ago

"You need to understand that in theoopinion of the SNP it has to be, always will be and cannot be anything but the fault of the English........they are nationally unable to be responsible for any bad news."

no not the fault of the english just westminister

over a year ago

"The scots had a referendum and decided to remain in the Unoin....the SNP are still talking about independence. ...they obviously don't understand or respect for democracy or the people who votes.....Alex needs to remember he is retired and the Sturge needs to wind her rhetorical neck in"

the referendum is completley different from the GE ,and if the snp get loads of mps they will have the right and backing of the ppl who voted for them to get the best deals for scotland ,thats democracy

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

"lol,,no one can whinge about it,the torries ,labour and most of the uk begged us to stay."

Only out of politeness .

Post new Message to Thread