FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Does where you live partly define your personality?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

BBC are showing results of a survey carried out over 2 years. Showing how personalities link to where you live.

Apparently much of southern England and most of Scotland, people were found to be more "calm, relaxed, and emotionally stable" than the national average.

They looked at 5 areas of personality :- extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism and openness.

? Open: Hackney - Not so: Maldon, Essex.

? Conscientious: Isles of Scilly - Not so: Manchester.

? Extrovert: Hammersmith and Fulham: - Not: Boston, Lincolnshire.

? Agreeable: Isles of Scilly - Not so: City of London..

? Neurotic: Boston, Lincolnshire - Not so: Orkney.

Are people the way they are because of where they live or are people with certain traits drawn to particular areas? Where I live, it seems we are very open, conscientious, introverted, agreeable and not too neurotic.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tried it and market Harborough came out..funny enough only went there once and did like it.

over a year ago

I live out in the country, i would say yes its partly responsible for why im laid back and easy going, its a nice way of life without the fast pace of the city.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"BBC are showing results of a survey carried out over 2 years. Showing how personalities link to where you live.

Apparently much of southern England and most of Scotland, people were found to be more "calm, relaxed, and emotionally stable" than the national average.

They looked at 5 areas of personality :- extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism and openness.

? Open: Hackney - Not so: Maldon, Essex.

? Conscientious: Isles of Scilly - Not so: Manchester.

? Extrovert: Hammersmith and Fulham: - Not: Boston, Lincolnshire.

? Agreeable: Isles of Scilly - Not so: City of London..

? Neurotic: Boston, Lincolnshire - Not so: Orkney.

Are people the way they are because of where they live or are people with certain traits drawn to particular areas? Where I live, it seems we are very open, conscientious, introverted, agreeable and not too neurotic.

"

I wonder if that covers the Cotswolds, where I reckon I'm happiest?

According to the quiz I'm a neurotic open extrovert (wouldn't argue with that!) and I should move to the North York Moors hahaha!!

over a year ago

I really don't like what living in Oxford has done to me ... I have become noticeably different in myself to how I was before moving here... So I recon there may well be some truth to this

Nature or nurture

By *icky999Man
over a year ago

warrington

Everytime I go daarn saaaf I feel like crocodile dundee sayin hello to everyone and every looking at me like im crazy

over a year ago

How many people surveyed? It sounds like journo hype to me.

over a year ago

Well I have lived in multiple places.... So... Oh wait.. it could be true

Ms

By *ain n MableWoman
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I live in London, so from 5.30am - 6pm im aggressive, argumentative, impatient and basically a grumpy bastard.

Then my natural Personallity awakens and i go back to the loving, romantic, funny, easy going man that i am.

So im not sure what category i fall into, Bi-Polar i suspect. Ha. But thats what London does to people. Grrrr!!!!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/03/15 14:38:19]

over a year ago

"How many people surveyed? It sounds like journo hype to me. "

400k and done online. So some folk excused.

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Not much to stress us up here (Pennines), that is unless you don't stay on the path in the evening.

over a year ago

400k done online....by people that volunteered to do the survey. Very dubious results. To get a more accurate picture, you would have to get the info more covertly, to get honest answers. You can't really ask people to rate their personality traits without their own personal take on things skewing the results.

Does anyone know anyone that knows anyone that has heard of someone being surveyed for this?

By *icky999Man
over a year ago

warrington

"400k done online....by people that volunteered to do the survey. Very dubious results. To get a more accurate picture, you would have to get the info more covertly, to get honest answers. You can't really ask people to rate their personality traits without their own personal take on things skewing the results.

Does anyone know anyone that knows anyone that has heard of someone being surveyed for this? "

surveys of volunteers are usually rubbish and never reflecy real people however this survey is about the differences by location and still shows the differences if only in volunteers.

over a year ago

Is this about people born and still living in the areas? I'm laid back and calm but I know lots of people who aren't.

over a year ago

"Not much to stress us up here (Pennines), that is unless you don't stay on the path in the evening. "

I've been up in the heart of the Cotswolds today,I'd say that's similar. Very laid back.

over a year ago

"Is this about people born and still living in the areas? I'm laid back and calm but I know lots of people who aren't. "

I think it's where you're living at that time. Some areas weren't accounted for as too few people did the survey. I just found it interesting having just analysed a lot of personalities in a work capacity.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Here's the link to the mini test, that will match your personality profile to the results from the over 400,000 people who were analysed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z3g487h

The subject is interesting and lots of factors affect how people gravitate towards somewhere.

The introduction section is here, that explains more about it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31816926 : you could read it before or after taking the test, which will give offer you a town in GB most fitting to you, or the most fitting from your local area, as an alternative.

over a year ago

My results: Best place Craven 60% life satisfaction.

Worse place Kingston upon Hull 50% life satisfaction. I'm going to Google Craven.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I had rural Devon, like Tiverton area. Worst place was outer hebrides.

over a year ago

Can anyone tell me what BME means when talking about ethnic minorities

over a year ago

"Can anyone tell me what BME means when talking about ethnic minorities "

I googled and it says Black and Ethnic minorities.

over a year ago

I live in the countryside so I guess that's why I am laid back

over a year ago

"BBC are showing results of a survey carried out over 2 years. Showing how personalities link to where you live.

Apparently much of southern England and most of Scotland, people were found to be more "calm, relaxed, and emotionally stable" than the national average. "

This is utter fucking bullshit. Fuck off with your survey. Cunts.

over a year ago

I'm guessing people will be drawn to areas that suit them best, not necessarily for the people and the feel of the place but more for financial reasons.

I'd love to move back to Bury, liked that place more than anywhere else i've lived. Unfortunately my family ended up rooted in Chorley and i doubt i'll move until they've all finished school. I don't really like this area, or the people, that much but i keep to myself and have adapted to the area i live in by finding better places to go shoe and clothes shopping because this town isn't that good for it and never has been. I don't hate it here but i have lived in better places.

over a year ago

This is utter fucking bullshit. Fuck off with your survey. Cunts. "

It did say only MOST of Scotland!

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS
over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

surveys !..utter nonsense i think.

gives the media something to talk about for a few days..

By *ain n MableWoman
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Miss Samanatha, we just love your name x

over a year ago

This is utter fucking bullshit. Fuck off with your survey. Cunts. "

Woah woah...steady the buffs there ya bastad! Calm doon and take a swalla o this! All surveys are pish anyways!

Post new Message to Thread