By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tragic news.

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

over a year ago

Apparently it's a 24 year old A320.

Germanywings is a budget subsidiary of Lufthansa.

It was flying from Barcelona to Dusseldorf.

The plane issued a distress call at 10:47

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Do we know anything else? Seems to be one after the other in the last 12 months.

Such sad sad news - so many families affected.

Reply privately

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Not good.

Reply privately

over a year ago

142 passengers plus crew, no survivors expected, very sad.

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"142 passengers plus crew, no survivors expected, very sad."

Goodness me

That's awful

Reply privately

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

"Do we know anything else? Seems to be one after the other in the last 12 months.

Such sad sad news - so many families affected. "

I think there are actually more stacked up over Heathrow at the moment awaiting to land than have crashed in the last 12 months !

Reply privately

over a year ago

when my son flies back there the text home safe is going to mean a lot

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Some of the tragedies in recent months...

Air Asia Flight 8501

Malayisa Airlines Flight 370

Feb 11 Algerian Air Force Hercules carrying 74 military passengers and four crew crashed into the Djebel Fertas mountain.

June 14, a Ukrainian army transport plane was shot down

Malaysia Flight MH17 shot down

July 7 military helicopter crashed close to the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi, killing 16 people. One week later, five were killed when a Cambodian military helicopter crashed during a training flight near Phnom Penh.

In August, Iran's Sepahan Airlines Flight 5915 crashed shortly after take-off. Those on board survived the crash but 39 of the 48 passengers and crew died in the ensuing fire.

On February 04 at least 23 people were killed when a passenger plane operated by TransAsia Airways clipped an overpass soon after take-off and plunged into a river in Taiwan, the airline's second crash in seven months.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Air crashes tend to be in Asia and Africa by airlines we have never heard of that are not allowed into Europe because of safety issues. There is a Nigerian airline that lost a plane on average every 11 months

Reply privately

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

From what i have read in the French news. 144 passagers and 6 crew members, no survivors. No distress call from the plane either, it just dropped down progressively.

They say it is going to take days to bring the bodies back as the helicopter can't land, as the area is not easily accessible. Awful for the families. My heart goes to them.

x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"From what i have read in the French news. 144 passagers and 6 crew members, no survivors. No distress call from the plane either, it just dropped down progressively.

They say it is going to take days to bring the bodies back as the helicopter can't land, as the area is not easily accessible. Awful for the families. My heart goes to them.

x

"

this

Reply privately

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"Airbus A320 operated by German company wings has crashed"

Reports are that the aircraft went from cruising altitude (30,000' to crash) in eight minutes(about 4,000' / minute). That is not a catastrophic rate of descent but one that would make you a bit scared, but which would also have given the pilots enough time to send a Mayday. The fact that they did not do that suggests a catastrophic failure at altitude that either rendered the pilots or the aircraft incapable. My guess is creeping hypoxia and the clever aircraft took it upon itself to get down as quickly as possible to where there is more oxygen, but unfortunately the Alps got in the way.

I guess we will find out soon enough as one the black boxes has now been found.

Very, very sad and very, very tragic for all involved.

Reply privately

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

im glad I cant afford to fly anywhere

awful news

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some of the tragedies in recent months...

Air Asia Flight 8501

Malayisa Airlines Flight 370

Feb 11 Algerian Air Force Hercules carrying 74 military passengers and four crew crashed into the Djebel Fertas mountain.

June 14, a Ukrainian army transport plane was shot down

Malaysia Flight MH17 shot down

July 7 military helicopter crashed close to the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi, killing 16 people. One week later, five were killed when a Cambodian military helicopter crashed during a training flight near Phnom Penh.

In August, Iran's Sepahan Airlines Flight 5915 crashed shortly after take-off. Those on board survived the crash but 39 of the 48 passengers and crew died in the ensuing fire.

On February 04 at least 23 people were killed when a passenger plane operated by TransAsia Airways clipped an overpass soon after take-off and plunged into a river in Taiwan, the airline's second crash in seven months.

"

Wouldn't you find similar figures every year, - especially with military planes?

Jeez, just noticed your location, - I hope that you don't know any of the victims!

Reply privately

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

Good coverage on the RT website including raw footage of crash site. To say that the plane is in bits is an understatement.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Terrible news. So very very sad.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What a tragic event.Cannot begin to comprehend how the families must feel.

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

very sad... god bless them and their families.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

There are some people overhere who are asking questions of this type of plane (A320) having gone into rapid dive in other air accidents as well as situations in which the pilots managed to save plane and passengers. All speculation at the moment, of course. And whatever the outcome, it is so hard for those connected, be it as family or as friends.

Reply privately

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"There are some people overhere who are asking questions of this type of plane (A320) having gone into rapid dive in other air accidents as well as situations in which the pilots managed to save plane and passengers. All speculation at the moment, of course. And whatever the outcome, it is so hard for those connected, be it as family or as friends. "

I don't think it is anything specific to the type. All speculation, but my opinion is that it was an oxygen system failure and that although the cabin pressurised the oxygen system failed. No other explanation at the moment as to why the aircraft continued to fly in a controlled descent for 8/9 minutes with no crew input or distress/mayday actions from any of the three available not interlinked options.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"There are some people overhere who are asking questions of this type of plane (A320) having gone into rapid dive in other air accidents as well as situations in which the pilots managed to save plane and passengers. All speculation at the moment, of course. And whatever the outcome, it is so hard for those connected, be it as family or as friends.

I don't think it is anything specific to the type. All speculation, but my opinion is that it was an oxygen system failure and that although the cabin pressurised the oxygen system failed. No other explanation at the moment as to why the aircraft continued to fly in a controlled descent for 8/9 minutes with no crew input or distress/mayday actions from any of the three available not interlinked options."

Yes, apparently they mentioned that on British TV half an hour ago... we wll find out I guess.

Reply privately

By *onbons_xxMan
over a year ago

Bolton

This is heartbreaking, such sad news

Reply privately

over a year ago

On the news plane was 26 years old ..... but in very good working order . sounds old to me . Keep thinking would they have known it was going down .........

Reply privately

over a year ago

"im glad I cant afford to fly anywhere

awful news"

Germanwings tickets will be going cheap in the morning

Reply privately

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

awful news

Germanwings tickets will be going cheap in the morning"

v

We are flying tomorrow and Mrs Hot is a bit anxious!

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

awful news

Germanwings tickets will be going cheap in the morningv

We are flying tomorrow and Mrs Hot is a bit anxious!"

Statistically it's still safer than driving . Bon voyage.

Reply privately

over a year ago

awful news

Germanwings tickets will be going cheap in the morning"

It doesn't work like that & they're cheap enough as it is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

awful news

Statistically it's still safer than driving . Bon voyage. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't forget, African south American etc carriers aside, the safest airline is the one whom most recently had an accident.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" On the news plane was 26 years old ..... but in very good working order . sounds old to me . Keep thinking would they have known it was going down ......... "

I'm sorry to say yes they would.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Don't forget, African south American etc carriers aside, the safest airline is the one whom most recently had an accident. "

Tell that to Korean Air circa late 90's

Reply privately

over a year ago

I know a plane crash isn't a nice thing but the outpouring of "internet grief" is always something that bemuses me especially when there's statistics like this each year but hardly anyone bats a eye

"According to the World Health Organization, road traffic injuries caused an estimated 1.24 million deaths worldwide in the year 2010,"

I'd be more bloody anxious about getting into a car if I was to get anxious about anything

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There are some people overhere who are asking questions of this type of plane (A320) having gone into rapid dive in other air accidents as well as situations in which the pilots managed to save plane and passengers. All speculation at the moment, of course. And whatever the outcome, it is so hard for those connected, be it as family or as friends.

I don't think it is anything specific to the type. All speculation, but my opinion is that it was an oxygen system failure and that although the cabin pressurised the oxygen system failed. No other explanation at the moment as to why the aircraft continued to fly in a controlled descent for 8/9 minutes with no crew input or distress/mayday actions from any of the three available not interlinked options."

Maybe flying lower to find oxygen rich air, flew into mountain side in low cloud.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Don't forget, African south American etc carriers aside, the safest airline is the one whom most recently had an accident.

Tell that to Korean Air circa late 90's"

They were included in my "etc"!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Don't forget, African south American etc carriers aside, the safest airline is the one whom most recently had an accident.

They were included in my "etc"!"

I can't see why, surely the routes flown rather than the nationality is a greater indicator of safety isn't it?

Reply privately

By *hyblueEyesMan
over a year ago

Daventry

Although something else to consider

Global deaths from driving in 2013 was 1.24million.

Global deaths from planes 265

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can't see why, surely the routes flown rather than the nationality is a greater indicator of safety isn't it?"

No, not all countries maintain their aircraft to the same standards.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Search worlds most dangerous airlines. Most "routes" are the same, take off, get to 30000ft, don't go to far away from land if you fly over the sea, don't fly over a war zone, take care while landing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can't see why, surely the routes flown rather than the nationality is a greater indicator of safety isn't it?

No, not all countries maintain their aircraft to the same standards. "

But don't airlines need to be of a certain standard to operate in say the usa or Europe?

Reply privately

over a year ago

But don't airlines need to be of a certain standard to operate in say the usa or Europe?"

Yes which it's why a fare few African airlines can't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But don't airlines need to be of a certain standard to operate in say the usa or Europe?

Yes which it's why a fare few African airlines can't."

But lots that do have international route plan though

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

awful news

We are flying tomorrow and Mrs Hot is a bit anxious!"

And us, Alicante to Dusseldorf although to the other "Dusseldorf" airport at Weeze.

It is quite possible that we could know someone on board the crashed plane as most will be from our area of Germany. The 16 kids and their teachers are from a small town only 15 minutes from us.

While no one knows exactly what happened yet I am thinking on similar lines to "Too Hot" that a problem with the oxygen system could be to blame.

The plane reaches its cruising altitude and suffers a sudden decompression. The pilots just have time to follow standard procedure and put it into an emergency descent. The oxygen system fails and the pilots (along with everyone else) black out. The aircraft continues to descend automatically until it hits the ground.

From what I've seen and read so far this seems a very likely scenario.

RIP to all the victims of this terrible tragedy and I can only hope that they knew nothing or very little about it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Time to worry is when you find out your plane was in for maintenance recently

Could have been anything that caused it, instrument failure usually crops up when a plane goes into a mountain or misses the runway.

Reply privately

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

awful news

And us, Alicante to Dusseldorf although to the other "Dusseldorf" airport at Weeze.

It is quite possible that we could know someone on board the crashed plane as most will be from our area of Germany. The 16 kids and their teachers are from a small town only 15 minutes from us.

While no one knows exactly what happened yet I am thinking on similar lines to "Too Hot" that a problem with the oxygen system could be to blame.

The plane reaches its cruising altitude and suffers a sudden decompression. The pilots just have time to follow standard procedure and put it into an emergency descent. The oxygen system fails and the pilots (along with everyone else) black out. The aircraft continues to descend automatically until it hits the ground.

RIP to all the victims of this terrible tragedy and I can only hope that they knew nothing or very little about it.

"

Actually I don't think it was a decompression because the pressure activated mechanisms that drop the oxygen masks would have deployed. A failure of the oxygen enrichment system would have resulted in gradual onset hypoxia and nobody would have noticed their collective passing through light headedness, giddiness and subsequent unconsciousness. The abnormal would have seemed normal and this is exactly what happened to the Greek airliner a few years ago.

I can't see any other logical reason why the flight remained in control and no distress/alarm was raised from within the aircraft.

The good thing is that all 148 people would have been unconscious and possible dead during the descent and do unaware of what was happening.

Reply privately

By *amie4591Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/03/15 18:09:49]

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

awful news

Actually I don't think it was a decompression because the pressure activated mechanisms that drop the oxygen masks would have deployed. A failure of the oxygen enrichment system would have resulted in gradual onset hypoxia and nobody would have noticed their collective passing through light headedness, giddiness and subsequent unconsciousness. The abnormal would have seemed normal and this is exactly what happened to the Greek airliner a few years ago.

I can't see any other logical reason why the flight remained in control and no distress/alarm was raised from within the aircraft.

The good thing is that all 148 people would have been unconscious and possible dead during the descent and do unaware of what was happening."

Yes I remember watching a documentary a few years ago about the Greek crash and there are quite a few similarities.

The main difference however is that the Greek one carried on flying until it ran out of fuel, this one went into a descent of roughly the same FPS as a standard emergency descent.

The other common factor is that both aircraft were serviced the previous day. On the Greek plane the engineers had set the cabin pressurisation system to "manual" instead of "automatic". The pilots overlooked this on the pre flight check and as the aircraft climbed everyone slowly went to sleep and it continued on its course until it ran out of fuel.

Your theory about the "gradual onset of hypoxia" is sound until you ask the question, who put the plane into emergency descent?

I still think that a sudden decompression followed by a failure in the emergency oxygen system, or it was turned off during service and not re checked, is more likely.

The only blessing is that in both scenarios the victims would have known very little about what was happening.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Plus the mayday call.

Reply privately

By *awk_eyeMan
over a year ago

east london

Surprised they haven't mentioned the suicide theory as they speculated with the MH370 pilot without any evidence either. Not that I think that was the cause of this accident.

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Plus the mayday call. "

There wasn't a mayday call.

Early reports said that there was one but it was later denied. The emergency was called by ATC.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Plus the mayday call.

There wasn't a mayday call.

Early reports said that there was one but it was later denied. The emergency was called by ATC. "

Ah. Shame.

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

WOW!!!! How wrong can we be.

From the voice recorder it appears that one pilot was locked out of the cockpit and the other (for whatever reason) unresponsive. The locked out pilot can be heard trying to break the door down in the moments before it crashed.

Suicide by pilot???

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Surprised they haven't mentioned the suicide theory as they speculated with the MH370 pilot without any evidence either. Not that I think that was the cause of this accident. "

It's looking like you were pretty close to nailing it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"WOW!!!! How wrong can we be.

From the voice recorder it appears that one pilot was locked out of the cockpit and the other (for whatever reason) unresponsive. The locked out pilot can be heard trying to break the door down in the moments before it crashed.

Suicide by pilot??? "

I wouldn't give too much weight to one report from 'an unnamed source'.

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Suicide by pilot??? I wouldn't give too much weight to one report from 'an unnamed source'."

Fair comment but I would think that a newspaper like the New York Times would be pretty sure of its source before going to print with a story like that.

Reply privately

By *ornyspiceCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

Does makes you wonder whether they may introduce from what was said above, where the flight deck has 2 pilot and one of them need to leave the flight deck for any reason? that a member of the cabin crew has to be in the cockpit till the other pilot returned so at any time will always be 2 people within the cockpit.

Or do another arrangement with the locking system on the door from the outside so the co/captain pilots can get in? saying that whoever inside could jam or bolt the door.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There's a master pin code that allows delayed access to the cockpit...but Airbus Boeing and Douglas don't realllllly want that in public domain.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Surprised they haven't mentioned the suicide theory as they speculated with the MH370 pilot without any evidence either. Not that I think that was the cause of this accident.

It's looking like you were pretty close to nailing it."

heart attack? stroke? etc!! big difference between suicide and mass murder!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

As with all of these plane crashes, we need to wait for the official report from air accidents authority. I think it was slightly inappropriate to release this information whether it's factually correct or not so soon.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Suicide by pilot??? I wouldn't give too much weight to one report from 'an unnamed source'.

Fair comment but I would think that a newspaper like the New York Times would be pretty sure of its source before going to print with a story like that."

Trouble is one source gets reported in NYT, then it gets picked up by say the BBC, then the been are re quoted with the added weight etc etc and before long an unsubstantiated report gains traction, I'd wait for a BEA announcement.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Suicide by pilot??? I wouldn't give too much weight to one report from 'an unnamed source'.

Fair comment but I would think that a newspaper like the New York Times would be pretty sure of its source before going to print with a story like that."

investigators working on the theory pilot incapacitated due to possible windscreen blowout.

I think it's really sad & shameful that the suicide theories crop up, I can only recal one such incident (not taking inconsideration 9/11).

The crew are usually doing their upmost to regain control to the bitter end!!

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Suicide by pilot??? "

Have you actually heard this recording?

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Suicide by pilot???

Have you actually heard this recording?"

Of course not, but Sky news are now running a transcript.

Yes it could be heart attack, stroke, windscreen blowout, and many other things.

This is only a forum on a swinger site and all we are discussing are theories, possibilities, might be's and maybe's.

But if we don't discuss them we may as well close the thread.

Reply privately

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

speculating? oo, the latest theory is that the co pilot had recently converted to Islam, heard that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Suicide by pilot???

Yes it could be heart attack, stroke, windscreen blowout, and many other things.

This is only a forum on a swinger site and all we are discussing are theories, possibilities, might be's and maybe's.

But if we don't discuss them we may as well close the thread."

forum on a swingers sight or not its still really insensitive.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Professional pilots are going with the cracked screen theory and discounting suicide

Reply privately

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Suicide by pilot???

But if we don't discuss them we may as well close the thread.

forum on a swingers sight or not its still really insensitive."

Why is it insensitive? We are not talking to the families only discussing possibilities between forumites. Pretty much the on line equivalent of having a chat in the pub. Sky News are discussing the same thing BTW.

Reply privately

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Professional pilots are going with the cracked screen theory and discounting suicide"

Those pro's seem to have got it wrong, what a terrible turn of events

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not calling it suicide due to the fact that he took 140 lives with him, in effect it's murder

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

The co-pilot appeared to have deliberately overridden the switch that would keep the door in open position after it has been accessed eg by a stewardess in a (perceived emergency, ie no response from cockpit)

There does not seem to be any other explanation other than a deliberate crashing of the plane by the co-pilot who had undergone training and was 100% qualified.

What is a bit of a mystery is the fact that there was a "short period of time" when he was not on active duty during his career and so far no explanation has been given for this.

Reply privately