Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A license to watch TV?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

There are many things that should require a license.

Driving.

Being a doctor.

Killing for MI5

Sitting on my sofa and watching TV isn't one of them.

And besides all the shows I love I pay for by subscribing to Netflix and Now TV

No real point to this other than to rant.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Where do they get the money from then instead?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Don't watch live tv as it's being broadcast and you won't need to. Watch catch-up tv.

By *hick33Woman
over a year ago

Essex

I completely agree with you. I don't watch much tv to be honest, but when I do watch it I mainly watch movies on Netflix. I don't see why I should have to pay for the licence either. Normal tv programmes are so boring

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Where do they get the money from then instead?"

The same place every other channel does. A little bit of advertising goes a long way.

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Where do they get the money from then instead?

The same place every other channel does. A little bit of advertising goes a long way.

"

Adverts last for almost 5 minutes, every 15 minutes approx, that pisses me off.

What also pisses me off is having to pay for a licence. Soon though, it will be added to your council tax, that way everyone will pay.

What fucks me off is when the BBC pay millions to some of its stars, that fucks me off, I dont mind paying towards sport they have to bid for, but its sick what Graham Norton takes home (for eg).

Yes I know, footballers are over paid etc, thats another debate, I dont have sky so dont add to their pockets.

By *anetandNickCouple
over a year ago

Ross-on-Wye

Simple solution.

Throw away your TV and start living for real.

You soon won't be able to understand how you ever had time to watch TV.

Janet (not had a TV for years)

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS
over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

im waiting for a visit from their investigation dept ..i cant wait.. i dont get much company ..

over a year ago

Well look at it like this ..... I know the TV has a lot of crap on it, but there are some good things to be had - personally I hate sport so I don't take that into the equation but there are a lot of folks who do and for £130 quid (is that the correct sum?) you have all the TV you can shake a stick at for 12 months .... roughly 36p per day .... where else can you get 24hr entertainment for 36p per day ?

over a year ago

"There are many things that should require a license.

Driving.

Being a doctor.

Killing for MI5

Sitting on my sofa and watching TV isn't one of them.

And besides all the shows I love I pay for by subscribing to Netflix and Now TV

No real point to this other than to rant."

it states on tv licensing web site if you use your tv to watch recorded or catch up tv and you dont watch it live as its broad casted on the times its shown you do not require a tv licence..

so for example you watch everything on demand you dont need a licence

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Well look at it like this ..... I know the TV has a lot of crap on it, but there are some good things to be had - personally I hate sport so I don't take that into the equation but there are a lot of folks who do and for £130 quid (is that the correct sum?) you have all the TV you can shake a stick at for 12 months .... roughly 36p per day .... where else can you get 24hr entertainment for 36p per day ?"
plus six national radio channels and numerouse local radio channels a very good news website but hey folk arent happy to pay 36p a day for all this but are happy to fork out £40+ for sky half the content of which are reruns of bbc content anyway

over a year ago

The thing that always amazes me when people say they only watch catch up tv...the news! When do you watch the news? What on earth do you do while you're eating your breakfast?

By *ibanditMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm sure I'm alone in being happy to pay for the TV licence for BBC's commercial-free output, both telly and radio.

By *ibanditMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

*not alone

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"The thing that always amazes me when people say they only watch catch up tv...the news! When do you watch the news? What on earth do you do while you're eating your breakfast? "

I never watch the news on TV.

When I eat breakfast, which isn't often, I either don't have the TV on or I watch something I've recorded.

over a year ago

"I'm sure I'm alone in being happy to pay for the TV licence for BBC's commercial-free output, both telly and radio."
I think it's remarkably good value

over a year ago

"I'm sure I'm alone in being happy to pay for the TV licence for BBC's commercial-free output, both telly and radio."

I only watch the BBC.

Certainly wouldn't watch sky except for maybe the Simpsons, although I'm currently watching that on ch4+1..

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

The tv license would be cheap at double the price.

Rather than scrapping the to license, I'd prefer they banned all commercial channels and made the license fee a direct taxation.

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

move an elderly relative in with you (70 plus) you get free tv license then

over a year ago

Bad news for those who don't pay the license - I was reading that there are moves afoot to stop the current system and introduce a "media license" which everyone who watches anything will have to pay.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"Bad news for those who don't pay the license - I was reading that there are moves afoot to stop the current system and introduce a "media license" which everyone who watches anything will have to pay. "

Good!

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Well, only good if all the money goes to the BBC, which it probably won't. So actually bad.

By *errygTV/TS
over a year ago

denton

im sure it says television broadcast receiving license, so that would mean any picture that is broadcast live or catch up, if anyone can check as im working away, as for adverts a few yrs ago in the days of vcr programmes started on time now they go a minute or two over

By *errygTV/TS
over a year ago

denton

a few years i was with a dom lady who worked from a flat in manchester, the doorbell rang wasnt expecting anyone answered the door and it was the tv licensing, she brought him in pointed to me and said theirs my tv i didnt think i needed a license for it, she thought it very funny the man made his way out

By *gNeMan
over a year ago

Harrogate

I watch live TV. Not the BBC, and I don't pay for a license! Simple.

If you watch BBC channels, then your license fee is the price you are paying to watch those channels, much like your Netflix subscription.

By *gNeMan
over a year ago

Harrogate

[Removed by poster at 23/03/15 20:21:58]

over a year ago

Only reason I. Still pay is cause I listen to a lot of radio. I've pretty well given up on TV. Netflix and YouTube are my main viewing now.

By *gNeMan
over a year ago

Harrogate

"Only reason I. Still pay is cause I listen to a lot of radio. I've pretty well given up on TV. Netflix and YouTube are my main viewing now. "

Radio 2 or 4?

over a year ago

Radio 4 girl

By *hyllyphyllyMan
over a year ago

Bradford

I called TV Licencing and told them I stream pirated American TV shows.

They were OK with that

By *gNeMan
over a year ago

Harrogate

Good choice!

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

we don't watch telly ... live or otherwise .... so no need for a licence or subscription to anything .... simple

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

No Contract with the BBC..

By *eepfoughtMan
over a year ago

Burnley

Personally, I'm completely happy paying the licence fee. BBC provides a good service in terms of entertainment, education and information. Their internet and radio offerings are good quality and despite some problems with its management from time to time, I consider the institution itself to be valuable.

Post new Message to Thread