Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Warning! another internet scam

Jump to newest

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

Selling my focus on Gumtree, had a text asking me to email them about the car, got told he would not be able to pick up the car in person, so he would arrange a courier service to deliver it, we agreed on a price for the car, he got me to send a request for £1300 threw paypay, he Emailed to say he had sent the money plus another £350 for me to pay the courier, that's when I got suspicious why send me the money why not pay the courier himself ??

then you get a fake Email from paypal saying the money has been transferred but it will not show in my account until after I pay the £350 to the courier, and it said it had to be paid threw a money gram payment, I had seen on scam programs before that crooks use that method as it's virtually impossible to track where the money went to.

I had a second Email from someone else doing the same scam, saying he was a marine engineer and on a boat in Australia so it would all have to be done threw paypal, so it looks like it happens a lot, so don't get caught out with this one people robing fuckers!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mines not the same as that but I've had random fake emails from paypal asking me to confirm my payment for Skype!? I don't have Skype,thought it was free anyway

over a year ago

Shitloads of these on fleabay

over a year ago

i had a mail a cpl of days ago off paypal telling me i had won 300 quid and all i had to do was log in on the link they kindly put in the email and the money would be transferred into my paypal account lol

By *errygTV/TS
over a year ago

denton

i advertised a car on gumtree account was hacked, they took the ad off so i rang gumtree they confirmed and i had to redo my account,it seems they have a lot of hackers on this site

over a year ago

So someone was going to buy your car without seeing ut and were willing to spend over a third of the value for a courier to collect an old focus - and you didn't think anything odd?

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"i had a mail a cpl of days ago off paypal telling me i had won 300 quid and all i had to do was log in on the link they kindly put in the email and the money would be transferred into my paypal account lol"
some of these fuckers are probably making a bloody fortune just sitting at the computers sending hundreds of these scams out, and you just know quite a few people are probably falling for it, that one with me, they get £350 every time someone falls for it, you would only need a small percentage of people to fall for it to make some big money.

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"So someone was going to buy your car without seeing ut and were willing to spend over a third of the value for a courier to collect an old focus - and you didn't think anything odd?"
oh yes I was suspicious from the start really, and more so as time went on, I have known people to buy a car just on the strength of what the advert says.

By *ardbellyCouple
over a year ago

Alicante

Thank fuck I don't believe in all this techno shit.. old but not stupid ?)

By *icolehertsCouple
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

We were buying a puppy after Xmas and a few of these scams came up, not very nice as they email to say that they no longer lived in various home counties near to us because their daughter, wife, mother had suddenly died and they have moved to Scotland or IOM, said they could courier dog once we had sent the money to them , Ye right !

over a year ago

"So someone was going to buy your car without seeing ut and were willing to spend over a third of the value for a courier to collect an old focus - and you didn't think anything odd?oh yes I was suspicious from the start really, and more so as time went on, I have known people to buy a car just on the strength of what the advert says. "

Oh right, I assumed you were suspicious from the point in your original post when you said 'that's whenI got ssuspicious'

Did you not think a text asking you to email them slightly odd? I can afford £1300 on a car but not the cost of a call

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"So someone was going to buy your car without seeing ut and were willing to spend over a third of the value for a courier to collect an old focus - and you didn't think anything odd?oh yes I was suspicious from the start really, and more so as time went on, I have known people to buy a car just on the strength of what the advert says.

Oh right, I assumed you were suspicious from the point in your original post when you said 'that's whenI got ssuspicious'

Did you not think a text asking you to email them slightly odd? I can afford £1300 on a car but not the cost of a call"

yes the email me rather than text me did make me think why an email, but you go along with it suspiciously and see where it goes

By *isexmistressWoman
over a year ago

Prestwich

"We were buying a puppy after Xmas and a few of these scams came up, not very nice as they email to say that they no longer lived in various home counties near to us because their daughter, wife, mother had suddenly died and they have moved to Scotland or IOM, said they could courier dog once we had sent the money to them , Ye right !"

These scams are awefull.. Thank god we have your pics to cheer us up

over a year ago

Same old, same old....

As soon as the words MoneyGram, Western Union, Paypal, "I'm sending a courier to collect", you need to pay out money before you receive money.......

I run a mile

over a year ago

You would never believe how unlucky my family is....... Some 150 or 200 years ago, my family was filled with many great explorers of the world; we emigrated to various African nations where we established banks, sugar beet plantations, banana groves, Western Union offices and ship repair yards.

Unfortunately, the entire family was far too busy working and had no time to have sex, so no sons or daughters were ever born. That means, I am now the only remaining distant cousin of at least 375 members of my family, all who have died in mysterious circumstances, leaving me at least 3 million dollars each in unclaimed inheritance funds.

It's better than winning the lottery!...

Now, all I have to do next is stick my bank details in an email.....

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"You would never believe how unlucky my family is....... Some 150 or 200 years ago, my family was filled with many great explorers of the world; we emigrated to various African nations where we established banks, sugar beet plantations, banana groves, Western Union offices and ship repair yards.

Unfortunately, the entire family was far too busy working and had no time to have sex, so no sons or daughters were ever born. That means, I am now the only remaining distant cousin of at least 375 members of my family, all who have died in mysterious circumstances, leaving me at least 3 million dollars each in unclaimed inheritance funds.

It's better than winning the lottery!...

Now, all I have to do next is stick my bank details in an email.....

"

the crazy thing is some people fall for these things, I have seen a few programs over recent years with people loosing 60 70 thousand, and you think how could you fall for that,

Post new Message to Thread