Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Working hours and legal breaks..

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I work for the NHS. Not contracted as I'm a Bank worker. Contracted workers here work 8 hours and get 50 min break I work 6 hour shifts with no entitled break.

Is this the law, is this allowed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

I'm also working 9 hours today and they have not even mentioned about a break.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A worker is entitled to a break of 20 minutes after 6 hours, so if you only work 6 hours and then finish work, then you will not be entitled to any break during work time.

By *eovilcouple76Couple
over a year ago

yeovil

"A worker is entitled to a break of 20 minutes after 6 hours, so if you only work 6 hours and then finish work, then you will not be entitled to any break during work time."

This.

over a year ago

Musnt work over 6 hours without a break

I have worked in personnel, inbox me if you wanna ask more xxx

over a year ago

"A worker is entitled to a break of 20 minutes after 6 hours, so if you only work 6 hours and then finish work, then you will not be entitled to any break during work time."

Yes this is right

It at the discretion of your employer as to wether they give you breaks before your 6hours

over a year ago

I work for the NHS too forget legal breaks they don't understand them

Legally your supposed to have 20 mins every 4 hours and 11 hours between shifts I do 12 hour days with one break, I do two 6 hour shifts 6 till 12 with no break then I'm off till 4 till 10 with no break so that only gives me 8 hours between shifts

over a year ago

So if you are working 9 hours today, then you must be allowed an uninterrupted break of at least 20 minutes away from your work station.

over a year ago

so take a 20 min break after 6 hours if your working 9 today

over a year ago

Our union says its 4 hours

over a year ago

Then your union does not know the law.

over a year ago

"A worker is entitled to a break of 20 minutes after 6 hours, so if you only work 6 hours and then finish work, then you will not be entitled to any break during work time.

Our union says its 4 hours"

I always thought it was 4 hrs as well

I work between 9 and 12 hrs with no breaks. Just as well I'm sat on me bum for most of it.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

the 6 hrs is correct and as for unions forget them ,only the leaders of these groups collect money for nothing.

over a year ago

Working time regulations 1998

12.—(1) Where an adult worker’s daily working time is more than SIX hours, he is entitled to a rest break.

(2) The details of the rest break to which an adult worker is entitled under paragraph (1), including its duration and the terms on which it is granted, shall be in accordance with any provisions for the purposes of this regulation which are contained in a collective agreement or a workforce agreement.

(3) Subject to the provisions of any applicable collective agreement or workforce agreement, the rest break provided for in paragraph (1) is an uninterrupted period of not less than 20 minutes, and the worker is entitled to spend it away from his workstation if he has one.

(4) Where a young worker’s daily working time is more than four and a half hours, he is entitled to a rest break of at least 30 minutes, which shall be consecutive if possible, and he is entitled to spend it away from his workstation if he has one.

(5) If, on any day, a young worker is employed by more than one employer, his daily working time shall be determined for the purpose of paragraph (4) by aggregating the number of hours worked by him for each employer.

over a year ago

"Working time regulations 1998

12.—(1) Where an adult worker’s daily working time is more than SIX hours, he is entitled to a rest break.

(2) The details of the rest break to which an adult worker is entitled under paragraph (1), including its duration and the terms on which it is granted, shall be in accordance with any provisions for the purposes of this regulation which are contained in a collective agreement or a workforce agreement.

(3) Subject to the provisions of any applicable collective agreement or workforce agreement, the rest break provided for in paragraph (1) is an uninterrupted period of not less than 20 minutes, and the worker is entitled to spend it away from his workstation if he has one.

(4) Where a young worker’s daily working time is more than four and a half hours, he is entitled to a rest break of at least 30 minutes, which shall be consecutive if possible, and he is entitled to spend it away from his workstation if he has one.

(5) If, on any day, a young worker is employed by more than one employer, his daily working time shall be determined for the purpose of paragraph (4) by aggregating the number of hours worked by him for each employer. "

thankyou

over a year ago

Fifteen minutes for ever four hrs worked.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Working time regulations 1998

(5) If, on any day, a young worker is employed by more than one employer, his daily working time shall be determined for the purpose of paragraph (4) by aggregating the number of hours worked by him for each employer. "

Since all of those regulations state 'he' and 'his' - I guess that's all the women fucked for breaks!

A

over a year ago

Usually (I believe legally) you can work 4 hrs and expect a 15 min break, 6 hrs a 30 min break and 9 hours 2 15's and a 60 min break.

However, in the catering trade this doesn't exist so I often do a 14 hr day with no break at all!

So as you work for the NHS Id spk to your HR dept.

over a year ago

"Fifteen minutes for ever four hrs worked. "

Thinks that what it used to be lovely

over a year ago

"Usually (I believe legally) you can work 4 hrs and expect a 15 min break, 6 hrs a 30 min break and 9 hours 2 15's and a 60 min break.

However, in the catering trade this doesn't exist so I often do a 14 hr day with no break at all!

So as you work for the NHS Id spk to your HR dept. "

So do I and there's no way on earth I would do that

By *dventuroususCouple
over a year ago

sunderland

"the 6 hrs is correct and as for unions forget them ,only the leaders of these groups collect money for nothing."

that is abslolute rubbish, unions or at least everyone ive dealt with, no there stuff, they are there to protect the worker and that they do well.

By *dventuroususCouple
over a year ago

sunderland

"A worker is entitled to a break of 20 minutes after 6 hours, so if you only work 6 hours and then finish work, then you will not be entitled to any break during work time.

Our union says its 4 hours"

it used to 4 hours but changed to 6 hours quite a while ago now, but then things can depend on whats in your contract, how long you have worked there etc, for eg, you need 2 1/2 years continual service to be protected by employment rights, therefore if you havent got that and there is something in your contract to state your breaks maybe vetoed if needed or other words then that is how they get around it.

By *dventuroususCouple
over a year ago

sunderland

"Fifteen minutes for ever four hrs worked. "

used to be this but changed a while back.

over a year ago

I thought the army had bad breaks, in at 8, then a 30 minute break at 10, then lunch from 12-1.30, then 30 minute break at 3pm... meh.

I think different jobs have different break times, for instance, a truck driver has to have a 45 minute break every 4 and a half hours of driving.

working in an office, this should help

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview

over a year ago

The law has not changed since the Working Time Regulations were introduced in 1998!

There is no qualifying period of 2.5 years for anything! There is a qualifying period of 2 years for unfair dismissal and redundancy, but you can claim on your 1st day if you are made to work over 6 hours without a break or made to work say 15 hours a day every day.

over a year ago

Gov.uk that will tell you everything you need to know

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Oh my! A quick google search will soon clarify that the Working Time Regulations of 1988 apply to breaks and as said by many your entitlement is after 6hrs. In addition they do not have to pay - so if you think you are legally entitled to more than this then it is contractual.

Mrs S

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Oh my! A quick google search will soon clarify that the Working Time Regulations of 1988 apply to breaks and as said by many your entitlement is after 6hrs. In addition they do not have to pay - so if you think you are legally entitled to more than this then it is contractual.

Mrs S "

Oops 1998!

By *eekendsCouple
over a year ago

Darlington

doesnt it make you sick that the uk is such a bad employment country .

We now live in france and try to get a shop open 1 minute over stated times and they have 2 hr plus breaks and the brits think this is wrong, but let me tell you they know what family life is about virtually no sunday working no 24hr supermarkets and you know we all managed to eat as well , amazing isn't it

By *dventuroususCouple
over a year ago

sunderland

"The law has not changed since the Working Time Regulations were introduced in 1998!

There is no qualifying period of 2.5 years for anything! There is a qualifying period of 2 years for unfair dismissal and redundancy, but you can claim on your 1st day if you are made to work over 6 hours without a break or made to work say 15 hours a day every day."

ok just to get this clear, 1998 is when it changed from 4hrs to 6hrs before 1998 you were entitled to a break after 4hrs work, after 1998 its 6hrs, I did not say it been changed since then, and everyone has basic employment law on there side (obviously when employed) places like acas will explain these to you, but after 2 1/2 years continual service every employee is covered by full employment law, which yes covers unfair dismissal as you said but also covers other areas that werent already covered.

over a year ago

"Fifteen minutes for ever four hrs worked.

used to be this but changed a while back."

Well that was the rule in my last job and I didn't complain

And if you worked six hours, we got thirty minutes

By *ilmiss75Woman
over a year ago

Thornton

"Usually (I believe legally) you can work 4 hrs and expect a 15 min break, 6 hrs a 30 min break and 9 hours 2 15's and a 60 min break.

So as you work for the NHS Id spk to your HR dept. "

You must work at the same place as me haha

By *ogotwanMan
over a year ago

south lanarkshire

Try the old weak bladder trick n go sit in the can for 10mins a couple of times a day :-

over a year ago

Please stop making the law up. Rest breaks were brought into law by the WTR, which was brought in to implement European Law. Before that there was no law about rest breaks for most workers.

There is no law that says you gain employment rights after 2.5 years at all. You can claim for unfair dismissal/redundancy after 2 years, not 2.5 years.

Discrimination/working time you - you get those rights from day 1.

over a year ago

"doesnt it make you sick that the uk is such a bad employment country .

We now live in france and try to get a shop open 1 minute over stated times and they have 2 hr plus breaks and the brits think this is wrong, but let me tell you they know what family life is about virtually no sunday working no 24hr supermarkets and you know we all managed to eat as well , amazing isn't it"

Try the USA for shitty employment law. I believe there is no legal requirement to pay any holiday over and above the national holidays (labour day, presidents day etc). Most US companies give their employees two weeks paid holiday a year

By *iwife81Couple
over a year ago

Bolton

"I'm also working 9 hours today and they have not even mentioned about a break. "

Have you mentioned that you haven' been for your break? I work in the NHS in a busy department with a lot of staff, and unfortunately not always realised that staff haven't taken their breaks. On many a busy 12 hour shift, I don't get a break - impossible to. Not saying it is right, but you should make someone aware.

By *dventuroususCouple
over a year ago

sunderland

"Please stop making the law up. Rest breaks were brought into law by the WTR, which was brought in to implement European Law. Before that there was no law about rest breaks for most workers.

There is no law that says you gain employment rights after 2.5 years at all. You can claim for unfair dismissal/redundancy after 2 years, not 2.5 years.

Discrimination/working time you - you get those rights from day 1."

if you understand what I am saying, im actually saying exactly that, im not making law up, so I do not see why you see the need to come at me like that, you are saying what im saying only in different words, and the reason its 2 1/2 years and not 2 years is that it goes from full time employment, so in the rare case a company employes on full time immediately, yes it wall fall at 2 years but in the vast majority that employ on 3 or more commonly 6 month contracts before offering full time employment, meaning by the time you have worked full time for a company for 2 years, you have actually worked for 2 1/2 years, im not looking for an argument with you, so please dont attack me, and insinuate that im inventing law, im not.

By *asokittyWoman
over a year ago

Nr Worksop

I used to work 7.15am until 9.45 sometimes without a break then back again the next morning . You sign a working time directive so the break between shifts is not illegal. And people say working for the NHS is easy....

By *rcticFoxxxWoman
over a year ago

Hereabouts

This. Unless otherwise stated in your contract. If I worked 6 hours, I'd get a 20 min break. If I worked 5 hours and 45 minutes I wouldn't get a break. Although if my boss wasn't in, my manager would let me go out for a fag

By *iwife81Couple
over a year ago

Bolton

"I used to work 7.15am until 9.45 sometimes without a break then back again the next morning . You sign a working time directive so the break between shifts is not illegal. And people say working for the NHS is easy...."

Too true, too often! X

over a year ago

This. Unless otherwise stated in your contract. If I worked 6 hours, I'd get a 20 min break. If I worked 5 hours and 45 minutes I wouldn't get a break. Although if my boss wasn't in, my manager would let me go out for a fag "

It's said its 20 min OVER 6 hours... I work 6 hours ha!

Post new Message to Thread