Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

All you green fingered

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Folk.... I purchased a trailing rose yesterday.. It's be planted in a little semi circle of Earth by my front door. I shall buy some trellice to attach it to, but I'm hoping it will grow really nice and tall (upto my balcony)

Any tips or suggestions on how to look after it?

I'm not green fingered

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Roses do need looking after ..spray for greenfly and prune them once they've flowered also they like nice rich soil so get some manure to feed them x

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Feed with rose specific fertiliser according to instructions, dead head regularly when blooming and keep an eye out for black spot. If any care information came with it follow that. Roses are lovely hope you get years of pleasure from it.

over a year ago

"Folk.... I purchased a trailing rose yesterday.. It's be planted in a little semi circle of Earth by my front door. I shall buy some trellice to attach it to, but I'm hoping it will grow really nice and tall (upto my balcony)

I'm not green fingered "

Yes you need something for it to climb up otherwise it will grow prostrate, sounds like you need a trip to my garden centre for educating

over a year ago

"Roses do need looking after ..spray for greenfly and prune them once they've flowered also they like nice rich soil so get some manure to feed them x"

Thankyou

over a year ago

"Feed with rose specific fertiliser according to instructions, dead head regularly when blooming and keep an eye out for black spot. If any care information came with it follow that. Roses are lovely hope you get years of pleasure from it."

Thankyou it's a gorgeous lilac one. I will def be looking after it

over a year ago

"Folk.... I purchased a trailing rose yesterday.. It's be planted in a little semi circle of Earth by my front door. I shall buy some trellice to attach it to, but I'm hoping it will grow really nice and tall (upto my balcony)

I'm not green fingered

Yes you need something for it to climb up otherwise it will grow prostrate, sounds like you need a trip to my garden centre for educating "

only 3 + hours away

By *3rial Thr1LL3rMan
over a year ago

aberdeenshire

I'm no expert but I'll gladly have a look at your bush

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

By *rchippyMan
over a year ago

omagh

I'm not green fingered

Yes you need something for it to climb up otherwise it will grow prostrate, sounds like you need a trip to my garden centre for educating only 3 + hours away"

You will be there befor 3pm then.

over a year ago

"I'm no expert but I'll gladly have a look at your bush

(Sorry, couldn't resist)"

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Roses are fairly shallow rooted and need a great supply of water once in leaf. You can help them by giving them a good mulching, over the soil surface - this would help suppress water loss and also release some nutrients progressively.

Pruning varies according to the type of rose that you have - generally prune in spring. Standard bush roses get the most severe pruning, with climbers/ramblers having a much lighter pruning: but as you've just planted, this isn't needed this year.

Watch out for fungal infections: just like we would as people. Blackening patches on the leaves is probably the most widespread issue: blackspot. You can treat (spray) the plants with systemic fungicide, which circulates around the whole plant, ready to prevent attacks. Aphids can also be a pest, so treat early, before they take hold.

Feeding your plant will reward you with prolific growth and flowering. Horse manure was a common older feeding and mulch system: well rotted, not fresh though.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Support the posts ref. dead heading. If you don't, the energy that would be pushed into new flower production is lost, whilst the plant makes seeds in the dead flower heads. You don't need to remove much of the plant, and take dead full flower heads back to a leaf joint (node), where new shoots will sprout from. This removes surplus stem above this point, which would decay.

over a year ago

"Support the posts ref. dead heading. If you don't, the energy that would be pushed into new flower production is lost, whilst the plant makes seeds in the dead flower heads. You don't need to remove much of the plant, and take dead full flower heads back to a leaf joint (node), where new shoots will sprout from. This removes surplus stem above this point, which would decay."

I haven't planted it yet, waiting for some helping hands.. Reminds me i must water it in its current state

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

If you add some organic matter, such as home made compost or fully decomposed horse manure, into the planting hole, with a few handfuls of bone meal, it will help your plant to take off well. Wilko sell bone meal, or a garden centre.

over a year ago

"If you add some organic matter, such as home made compost or fully decomposed horse manure, into the planting hole, with a few handfuls of bone meal, it will help your plant to take off well. Wilko sell bone meal, or a garden centre."

Horse manure-where do I get that? The obvious place he he

over a year ago

If you have a wood burner, roses love love love the ash.. I always chuck mine on the soil and they flourish. Regular deadheading and if you want it to climb quickly, then cut off the lower offshoots to encourage it to grow "up" instead of "out". You can bushy it out later.

over a year ago

"If you have a wood burner, roses love love love the ash.. I always chuck mine on the soil and they flourish. Regular deadheading and if you want it to climb quickly, then cut off the lower offshoots to encourage it to grow "up" instead of "out". You can bushy it out later. "

No wood burner.

over a year ago

"If you have a wood burner, roses love love love the ash.. I always chuck mine on the soil and they flourish. Regular deadheading and if you want it to climb quickly, then cut off the lower offshoots to encourage it to grow "up" instead of "out". You can bushy it out later.

No wood burner.

"

eant

Post new Message to Thread