Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Glucoma

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Had my eyes tested this evening and was told I have glaucoma in one eye. It's felt a bit odd for a while but I just thought it was irritated by makeup.

Not feeling great about this now.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Sorry to hear that but it is treatable and has been found. Don't delay on treatment.

over a year ago

Apparently I'm being referred as urgent.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Good that it has been diagnosed and you can now get it treated.

over a year ago

I think they give you eye drops for that,slows the process down....

over a year ago

My pressure is pretty high but they said they might sort it with drops or perhaps. Hole in my eye under my lid. That scares the crap out of me. I'm not good with eyes.

over a year ago

"My pressure is pretty high but they said they might sort it with drops or perhaps. Hole in my eye under my lid. That scares the crap out of me. I'm not good with eyes. "

My father has had drops foe years and has managed fine, while it is scary I hope that the experts can put you at ease.

By *inkxRabbitWoman
over a year ago

Wok-ish Horsell temporarily

If your optician diagnosed it don't worry too much. The pressure readings mean very little in their own.

The thickness of your cornea will be measured at the eye clinic, together with a closer (dilated pupil) examination of the back of your eye. They look at the shape and size of the optic nerve where it enters the back of the eye.

Only if your cornea is thin, your optic disc flattened and the fluid pressures within your eyes are high will you have a diagnosis of glaucoma.

Think of your eyeball like a balloon. If you were to blow it up too much the pimple bit would stretch, as would the walls of the balloon. This is exactly what happens in glaucoma, only your eyes won't burst lol.

There are lots of eye drops can be used and damage doesn't happen overnight.

You'll be fine x

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It can be dealt with quite straightforwardly.

over a year ago

"If your optician diagnosed it don't worry too much. The pressure readings mean very little in their own.

The thickness of your cornea will be measured at the eye clinic, together with a closer (dilated pupil) examination of the back of your eye. They look at the shape and size of the optic nerve where it enters the back of the eye.

Only if your cornea is thin, your optic disc flattened and the fluid pressures within your eyes are high will you have a diagnosis of glaucoma.

Think of your eyeball like a balloon. If you were to blow it up too much the pimple bit would stretch, as would the walls of the balloon. This is exactly what happens in glaucoma, only your eyes won't burst lol.

There are lots of eye drops can be used and damage doesn't happen overnight.

You'll be fine x"

Thank you. There's a marked difference between my optic nerves. I guess I'll feel happier once I've been to the hospital.

over a year ago

The auld Jamaican woodbines can be helpful for that........so I hear

By *inkxRabbitWoman
over a year ago

Wok-ish Horsell temporarily

Haha I couldn't possibly comment on that!

over a year ago

You have my sympathy as I don't like having my eyes 'messed' with either. I'm currently having swollen optic nerves investigated.

If I can do it, I'm sure you can. Good luck with the treatment and try not to let it get you down too much. Easier said than done I know especially when they tend to give you worst case scenarios.

Wishing you all the best

Her

By *fcdTV/TS
over a year ago

Southend

I was diagnosed with Glaucoma when i was 25 - one eye was 32 and by the time I got to the hospital a few days later, 36 so very high. I got told the same thing drops may work, probably need to dig a new hole in your eye etc. Well I'm 51 and the drops are still working just fine - both 12 last time I was checked. More than likely you'll be fine. The only down side is a 6 monthly or annual eye check and the drops do have some side effects over prolonged periods but nothing that has affected me yet.

over a year ago

I was told last year I had high pressure in both eyes. Within weeks I had laser treatment done. I was petrified bit in fact it took less than 10 mins to do and was painless. I have had no issues since.

over a year ago

"I was diagnosed with Glaucoma when i was 25 - one eye was 32 and by the time I got to the hospital a few days later, 36 so very high. I got told the same thing drops may work, probably need to dig a new hole in your eye etc. Well I'm 51 and the drops are still working just fine - both 12 last time I was checked. More than likely you'll be fine. The only down side is a 6 monthly or annual eye check and the drops do have some side effects over prolonged periods but nothing that has affected me yet."

Believe it or not it was my own daughter who tested the pressure in my eyes as she is an ODA at our local opticians.

The pressure is 37 in the affected eye and my retina is enlarged and the bit where the optic nerve connects is quite different to the other eye.

Feeling a bit silly now because that eye has felt puffy for a while. I thought it just didn't like eye liner or something

By *fcdTV/TS
over a year ago

Southend

I found the drops worked pretty quick for me. I had to visit the hospital regularly for a bit then they gaps increased and now it's annual.

Post new Message to Thread