Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Advise on Getting a Cat from Cat lovers out there

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Ok. I have been thinking about this for a long time. Always wanted to get a cat. I've had a cat before when I was living at my family home.

I'm living in flat so no outside space. Have to be an indoor cat. I'm thinking of adopting not a very small kitten, may be an older one that wouldn't otherwise get a home.

I have searched on catchat.org on local shelters. Going to check this weekend.

Few friends have suggested hairless ones look like they are made of scrotum skin or British Rag Dolls with amazing eyes. Also been told to get a female one to avoid spraying.

All up in the air. One thing is certain I'm gonna name the fluffy one "Libby"

Any advise please? Thanks

One

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Cat protection league. They can match you up with a cat, and they are rehoming one.

over a year ago

"Cat protection league. They can match you up with a cat, and they are rehoming one.

"

Thanks Hun xx

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

He's a tutorial video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Or google independent cat rescues in your area,they are often desperate to find kitties new homes.Good luck.

over a year ago

"He's a tutorial video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4"

Hahahahahaha. No wonder she is on ehormoney.lol. Looking for a cat NOT a Pussy. lol

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Your local Animal Concern or RSPCA will also advise

over a year ago

"Or google independent cat rescues in your area,they are often desperate to find kitties new homes.Good luck."

Thanks

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"He's a tutorial video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

Hahahahahaha. No wonder she is on ehormoney.lol. Looking for a cat NOT a Pussy. lol "

lol

By *exybbw_69Couple
over a year ago

Biggleswade

Ideally one that's already used to being an indoor cat. If getting from a rescue centre it'll already be speyed/neutered so spraying won't be a problem. If possible get 2 to keep each other amused/company whilst you're not there

over a year ago

Ours were kept indoors for the first couple years before they were neutered...they clawed the hell out of furniture so definitely invest in scratching posts! and indoor cats need more stimulation to keep them from getting bored/stressed...we read a few sites that advised playing with them for at least half hour every day, ours love chasing bits of ribbon!

That said. ..an older cat from a rescue home may be more mellow

By *inkxRabbitWoman
over a year ago

Wok-ish Horsell temporarily

Indoor cats get really bored. They are natural predators, quite likely to wreak havoc if left indoors all the time. Have you also considered the inconvenience of a litter tray in your flat for the next 20+ years? They flick the litter everywhere and it STINKS. I have only done it for short periods of time and I'd never do it again. Maybe you could train the cat to use the loo hahahaha

over a year ago

All this is good advise. Defo start with two..... I have six

My mother used to say " all lives should have 9 cats"

Xx

over a year ago

"Indoor cats get really bored. They are natural predators, quite likely to wreak havoc if left indoors all the time. Have you also considered the inconvenience of a litter tray in your flat for the next 20+ years? They flick the litter everywhere and it STINKS. I have only done it for short periods of time and I'd never do it again. Maybe you could train the cat to use the loo

hahahaha"

There is a vid on line ; how to toilet train your cat........

Not that I spend my online life watching cats .

Honest

over a year ago

"Indoor cats get really bored. They are natural predators, quite likely to wreak havoc if left indoors all the time. Have you also considered the inconvenience of a litter tray in your flat for the next 20+ years? They flick the litter everywhere and it STINKS. I have only done it for short periods of time and I'd never do it again. Maybe you could train the cat to use the loo hahahaha"

My friend actually managed to do that!! he kept moving the litter tray closer and closer to the toilet until it was on top, then eventually removed it and the cat just hops up and uses the loo!! It was completely bizarre walking into his bathroom to find the cat having a poop on the loo!

over a year ago

Personally I've never had a problem with indoor cat litter tray. In saying that I live in a larger flat.

If you can, consider two cats as they'd be indoors. They can keep each other amused when you're at work. Good advice on scratching posts and the spray for furniture to avoid it.

Also, be prepared for everything you own to have cat hair on it and stock up on Dreamies.

Have fun, miaow!

over a year ago

I have 2 both indoor cats love them to bits they keep each other company. Don't bother with expensive toys mine love boxes. Also make sure you can afford it think people forget how much food litter and insurance can cost. Some live along time ... they bring a lot of joy

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

The cats protection league are terrific

They'll help you

Post new Message to Thread