Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

FGM really?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

http://m.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31938409

Not sure if this has already been posted but would you class vaginal piercing as FGM?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Something i'd have to look at.

There is a case to say yes it is.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Is any piercing considered mutilation? I don't think my ears are mutilated, but I have 3 piercings in one and four in the other.

I'm not sure I am comfortable comparing something a woman chooses to do with something that is done to them, usually against their will.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"

Something i'd have to look at.

There is a case to say yes it is. "

Well the department of health would agree with you.

over a year ago

"Is any piercing considered mutilation? I don't think my ears are mutilated, but I have 3 piercings in one and four in the other.

I'm not sure I am comfortable comparing something a woman chooses to do with something that is done to them, usually against their will."

Spot on.

over a year ago

"Is any piercing considered mutilation? I don't think my ears are mutilated, but I have 3 piercings in one and four in the other.

I'm not sure I am comfortable comparing something a woman chooses to do with something that is done to them, usually against their will.

Spot on. "

Or the fact they are too young to give consent.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/03/15 22:13:56]

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"http://m.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31938409

Not sure if this has already been posted but would you class vaginal piercing as FGM?"

no. piercing is not a permanent, brutal and often non consensual mutilation of the labia and/or clitoris.

If you dont like a piercing you can just take it our...you cannot grow back a clitoris that has been cut off without numbing or any surgical know how (most times with scissors), or labia that have been mutilated or sewn together leaving just one hole whereby all functions need to be performed....urinating, menstruating, sex, and giving birth.

to suggest piercings are the same is ridiculous.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Spot on.

Or the fact they are too young to give consent."

I have seen babies with pierced ears. I guess this is one of those subjective things, where some people will think a quick hole in the ear that quickly heals is comparable to a full blown operation done to prevent women from getting clitoral stimulation and causing them pain for the rest of their lives.

over a year ago

Spot on.

I have seen babies with pierced ears. I guess this is one of those subjective things, where some people will think a quick hole in the ear that quickly heals is comparable to a full blown operation done to prevent women from getting clitoral stimulation and causing them pain for the rest of their lives."

Some compare and say circumcision is male genital mutilation. Why do we feel the need to compare - FGM is horrific.

Rightly the report states any genital piercing under the age of 18 is/should be illegal.

over a year ago

Alternatively, there is an argument that says that if you seek a multicultural society, then don't complain when that is what you actually get.

over a year ago

evesham

reading the report, it says that adults who consent to the procedure will be recorded as having undergone a harmful procedure, not FGM.

over a year ago

"

Alternatively, there is an argument that says that if you seek a multicultural society, then don't complain when that is what you actually get. "

"when in Rome..."

People want to live here have to abide by our Laws!

over a year ago

evesham

"

Alternatively, there is an argument that says that if you seek a multicultural society, then don't complain when that is what you actually get. "

so we have to adapt but no one else does?

over a year ago

evesham

Spot on.

I have seen babies with pierced ears. I guess this is one of those subjective things, where some people will think a quick hole in the ear that quickly heals is comparable to a full blown operation done to prevent women from getting clitoral stimulation and causing them pain for the rest of their lives.

Some compare and say circumcision is male genital mutilation. Why do we feel the need to compare - FGM is horrific.

Rightly the report states any genital piercing under the age of 18 is/should be illegal."

we dont have to compare but there is a point. Male babies have no say in the removal of their foreskin. ok, as far as i am aware the ongoing health issues are much less for males than it is women but both are done without consent.

over a year ago

Spot on.

Rightly the report states any genital piercing under the age of 18 is/should be illegal.

we dont have to compare but there is a point. Male babies have no say in the removal of their foreskin. ok, as far as i am aware the ongoing health issues are much less for males than it is women but both are done without consent."

Many boys and men have to have it done, I don't know of any cases where girls do.

over a year ago

evesham

Spot on.

we dont have to compare but there is a point. Male babies have no say in the removal of their foreskin. ok, as far as i am aware the ongoing health issues are much less for males than it is women but both are done without consent.

Many boys and men have to have it done, I don't know of any cases where girls do."

true, but that is a consensual medical reason. religious circumcision is not either.

over a year ago

Not sure if this has already been posted but would you class vaginal piercing as FGM?"

How the fuck can it possibly be classed as that if it's with consent.

My Ex was VERY alt.

Try telling her that..she'd punch you in the face.

For real.

over a year ago

Spot on.

Many boys and men have to have it done, I don't know of any cases where girls do.

true, but that is a consensual medical reason. religious circumcision is not either."

Although non consensual, the circumcision of male babies is not outlawed, unlike for females.

over a year ago

evesham

Spot on.

true, but that is a consensual medical reason. religious circumcision is not either.

Although non consensual, the circumcision of male babies is not outlawed, unlike for females."

but why isnt it? dont get me wrong, as my first post on here shows, i know the trauma that FGM causes and i understand the result is far more devestating for females than for males but at its base there is the same question....have they said yes.

over a year ago

Spot on.

Although non consensual, the circumcision of male babies is not outlawed, unlike for females.

but why isnt it? dont get me wrong, as my first post on here shows, i know the trauma that FGM causes and i understand the result is far more devestating for females than for males but at its base there is the same question....have they said yes."

We cannot just go down the giving of consent route, after-all a two year old boy who needs a circumcision doesn't give consent, his parents do.

over a year ago

evesham

Spot on.

but why isnt it? dont get me wrong, as my first post on here shows, i know the trauma that FGM causes and i understand the result is far more devestating for females than for males but at its base there is the same question....have they said yes.

We cannot just go down the giving of consent route, after-all a two year old boy who needs a circumcision doesn't give consent, his parents do."

Again....for medical reasons it is perfectly acceptable for parents to give consent for children. for religious reasons perhaps it should be questioned. What purpose does a non medical circumcision hold other than to conform to the preaching of a book?

Going back to the op, it is interesting that male genital piercings are not seen as a harmful procedure, I wonder why that is.

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

I walked into the piercing studio, took off my clothing, and laid there for the piercer to do my labia and clit hood piercings. Definitely not the product of abuse... none of the 9 I have had there over the time (6 labia piercings and 3 in my clit hood - only wear 2 now though) have been mutilation or for any reason other than I wanted them. I admit, they did raise eyebrows at the nurse etc when I went for smear tests, and had to be removed a few months back for an op, but the 2 I have kept are still there.

over a year ago

"I walked into the piercing studio, took off my clothing, and laid there for the piercer to do my labia and clit hood piercings. Definitely not the product of abuse..."

My Ex had this done.

It was her choice.

She was fully consenting as an adult woman.

That Article posted by the OP makes ZERO sense to me.

over a year ago

Spot on.

We cannot just go down the giving of consent route, after-all a two year old boy who needs a circumcision doesn't give consent, his parents do.

Again....for medical reasons it is perfectly acceptable for parents to give consent for children. for religious reasons perhaps it should be questioned. What purpose does a non medical circumcision hold other than to conform to the preaching of a book?

Going back to the op, it is interesting that male genital piercings are not seen as a harmful procedure, I wonder why that is. "

Circumcision is not just done on religious grounds, look at America. I have read that it's on the decline though.

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

"I walked into the piercing studio, took off my clothing, and laid there for the piercer to do my labia and clit hood piercings. Definitely not the product of abuse...

My Ex had this done.

It was her choice.

She was fully consenting as an adult woman.

That Article posted by the OP makes ZERO sense to me. "

The fact it talks about vaginal piercing is a starter for 10... its usually clitoral hood or labia that are pierced... not quite sure how they could possibly pierce your vagina.

Its not any way abusive or mutilating - if anything mine have enhanced my sex life. The only reason I don't have all 9 in still is that I upped my gym training regime, and there were a few times they felt uncomfortable when spinning/cycling.

over a year ago

evesham

Spot on.

Going back to the op, it is interesting that male genital piercings are not seen as a harmful procedure, I wonder why that is.

Circumcision is not just done on religious grounds, look at America. I have read that it's on the decline though."

Ok, I guess cosmetic as well but again that is with consent. My argument is purely based on non consensual circumcision which parallels with fgm. What other non consensual reasons are there for circumcision?

over a year ago

Spot on.

Circumcision is not just done on religious grounds, look at America. I have read that it's on the decline though.

Ok, I guess cosmetic as well but again that is with consent. My argument is purely based on non consensual circumcision which parallels with fgm. What other non consensual reasons are there for circumcision? "

Oh no I still meant infantile.

over a year ago

evesham

Spot on.

Ok, I guess cosmetic as well but again that is with consent. My argument is purely based on non consensual circumcision which parallels with fgm. What other non consensual reasons are there for circumcision?

Oh no I still meant infantile."

What other reasons are there for infantile circumcision?

over a year ago

Spot on.

Oh no I still meant infantile.

What other reasons are there for infantile circumcision? "

Apparently America is the only country that has infantile circumcision for non religious reasons. I guess it is cultural

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"Apparently America is the only country that has infantile circumcision for non religious reasons. I guess it is cultural"

No, we do too.

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple
over a year ago

near cardiff

Not only humiliating for women who are being told their beautifying jewellery is 'mutilation', but now incredibly dangerous for professional pierces. And all in all sexist shit that denies women body autonomy under the pretence that it gives it.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Not only humiliating for women who are being told their beautifying jewellery is 'mutilation', but now incredibly dangerous for professional pierces. And all in all sexist shit that denies women body autonomy under the pretence that it gives it."

Some feminist womens ignorance of feminist issues is astounding!

As I understand things FGM (cliterus cutting) is used to remove female sexual desire in certain cultures. To get round the FGM laws some people from those cultures use cliterol peircings to sever the nerves to the cliterus to achive the same results. It is these piercings that doctors are being required to record and report.

Maybe you should find out why doctors are being advised to record and report some piercings before opening you mouth and complaining that you and your 'sisters' are being subject to a sexist attack.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"Maybe you should find out why doctors are being advised to record and report some piercings before opening you mouth and complaining that you and your 'sisters' are being subject to a sexist attack. "

Mansplaining at its finest. *claps*

over a year ago

"Apparently America is the only country that has infantile circumcision for non religious reasons. I guess it is cultural

No, we do too."

Historically we used to. Which is possibly why America did/do. What makes you say we do? (Not including minority cultures within the larger British culture).

over a year ago

Read this and got seriously fucking angry. First of all I must say that actual FGM is a fucking abhorrent practice and rightly deserves wiping from the face of the earth.

However,.... this is something done by consenting adults with their own bodies FOR PLEASURE!!!!! will the government please fuck off with telling us what we cant do with our own fucking bodies?!?

How much time do MP's waste legislating over other peoples vaginas for fucks sake!

over a year ago

I have come across, and had to work with women that have undergone FGM times and every time it's heartbreaking for everyone involved.

It's a barbaric and evil custom that deserves to be wiped from the face of the planet and deserves all the recent attention it's been getting.

However, in my opinion, a consenting adult can undergo whatever body modification they wish! They can have their vaginal lips augmented and I see personal piercings as no different. As long as your making an informed choice then go knock yourself out.

over a year ago

Not sure if this has already been posted but would you class vaginal piercing as FGM?

How the fuck can it possibly be classed as that if it's with consent.

My Ex was VERY alt.

Try telling her that..she'd punch you in the face.

For real. "

You dated Jeremy clarkson

over a year ago

"

Yeah think themselves lucky there not going for apostasy!!

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Maybe you should find out why doctors are being advised to record and report some piercings before opening you mouth and complaining that you and your 'sisters' are being subject to a sexist attack.

Mansplaining at its finest. *claps*"

Why cut this part of my post?:

"As I understand things FGM (cliterus cutting) is used to remove female sexual desire in certain cultures. To get round the FGM laws some people from those cultures use cliterol peircings to sever the nerves to the cliterus to achive the same results. It is these piercings that doctors are being required to record and report."

I thought it was quite a good explanation of why the guidance was issued, but by your reply obviously not.

over a year ago

"Maybe you should find out why doctors are being advised to record and report some piercings before opening you mouth and complaining that you and your 'sisters' are being subject to a sexist attack.

Mansplaining at its finest. *claps*

Why cut this part of my post?:

As I understand things FGM (cliterus cutting) is used to remove female sexual desire in certain cultures. To get round the FGM laws some people from those cultures use cliterol peircings to sever the nerves to the cliterus to achive the same results. It is these piercings that doctors are being required to record and report.

I thought it was quite a good explanation of why the guidance was issued, but by your reply obviously not."

Maybe, just maybe the poster wanted to comment only on the paragraph quoted.

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple
over a year ago

near cardiff

"Not only humiliating for women who are being told their beautifying jewellery is 'mutilation', but now incredibly dangerous for professional pierces. And all in all sexist shit that denies women body autonomy under the pretence that it gives it.

Maybe you should find out why doctors are being advised to record and report some piercings before opening you mouth and complaining that you and your 'sisters' are being subject to a sexist attack. "

Oh, as you understand it. Very limited understanding in your patronising post that misses the point completely. Thanks for your adorable (and minute) mansplination of FGM, where would us poor silly tarts be without big clever men like you helping us understand issues about out fooffies.

I know what FGM is. I also know what a piercing is, and no, piercing the clitoris itself does not 'sever' the nerves, is used as a stimulant by many women. You dare to lecture me on my feminism when your knowledge of both piercings and the clitoris is so pathetically sparse? Even on a fuck site you need that basic sex ed?

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple
over a year ago

near cardiff

"I have come across, and had to work with women that have undergone FGM times and every time it's heartbreaking for everyone involved.

It's a barbaric and evil custom that deserves to be wiped from the face of the planet and deserves all the recent attention it's been getting.

However, in my opinion, a consenting adult can undergo whatever body modification they wish! They can have their vaginal lips augmented and I see personal piercings as no different. As long as your making an informed choice then go knock yourself out."

I love the body modification community, and some of the things I have seen adult, consenting individuals do to their genetalia is incredible, fascinating, and fantastic because they love it. Now they face persecution? They already face absurd stigma from society. It's a bullshit law within a body mod epicentre.

over a year ago

"Not only humiliating for women who are being told their beautifying jewellery is 'mutilation', but now incredibly dangerous for professional pierces. And all in all sexist shit that denies women body autonomy under the pretence that it gives it.

Maybe you should find out why doctors are being advised to record and report some piercings before opening you mouth and complaining that you and your 'sisters' are being subject to a sexist attack.

Oh, as you understand it. Very limited understanding in your patronising post that misses the point completely. Thanks for your adorable (and minute) mansplination of FGM, where would us poor silly tarts be without big clever men like you helping us understand issues about out fooffies.

I know what FGM is. I also know what a piercing is, and no, piercing the clitoris itself does not 'sever' the nerves, is used as a stimulant by many women. You dare to lecture me on my feminism when your knowledge of both piercings and the clitoris is so pathetically sparse? Even on a fuck site you need that basic sex ed? "

I think he's suggesting piercing is being used as an fgm alternative.

Perhaps he could link where he discovered tho info?

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple
over a year ago

near cardiff

I know what FGM is. I also know what a piercing is, and no, piercing the clitoris itself does not 'sever' the nerves, is used as a stimulant by many women. You dare to lecture me on my feminism when your knowledge of both piercings and the clitoris is so pathetically sparse? Even on a fuck site you need that basic sex ed?

I think he's suggesting piercing is being used as an fgm alternative.

Perhaps he could link where he discovered tho info?"

I don't really care what he is suggesting,at the end of the day he patrpatronised me on a subject he seems completely unaware of, while at the same time suggesting I read up on it- when I already had.

This law directly affects women who have not had FGM. It isn't limited to piercing, and includes labiaplasty. The law is about any form of genital modification, and it classes consenting modifications done by adults for sexual enhancement as FGM when the purpose is the exact opposite.

So perhaps he should practice what he preaches and read into it before opening his mouth.

Post new Message to Thread