Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

the lottery winner

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Curious story today of a man who won 150 million on the lottery and now is buying up houses in his local town to rent out!.

Why?.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Haven't read the story, but it's he sort of thing I'd do. Buy houses, rent them to people who for whatever reason can't afford normal housing.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Investment

over a year ago

Because he can.

Starting up a business perhaps

over a year ago

I'd like to buy some and give to a homeless charity or even a block of flats . When I win tonight they can have my house rather then sell it

over a year ago

"Because he can.

"

This

over a year ago

He's just won 150 million.... How much more does he want?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Because he can.

"

this..

plus he may be thinking that when he's blown a fair chunk then he has something to fall back on or he may just want something to do rather than go doo lally..

over a year ago

I would as well

Spread the money about a bit

Invest in property, buy shares etc.

It's not about being greedy it's about keeping busy.

Building an empire for generations to come.

Like I have said to jools many times

Money like that doesn't just change your life if used wisely it will change the future of our family for generations.

I certainly wouldn't just leave it in the bank

Also think about it, by purchasing properties the money is going back into the economy, creating job's etc..

Yes I would definitely do the same

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

Because the value of houseing earns more than investment at the moment perhaps.Better than putting it in the bank with a miserable %.

Sensible I would think. Gives work to family members perhaps , decorating marketing and renting.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"He's just won 150 million.... How much more does he want?"

Maybe he's not doing it for profit - well, not from rent anyway.

I'd do the same. Rent out at below market rates but enough to maintain the property, cover costs and maybe even turn a minuscule profit - think of it as 'poundland' style business - volume rather than high mark up.

People get houses. Long term gains in the value could be passed on to beneficiaries upon death or at some point in the future.

Everybody wins!

A

over a year ago

"He's just won 150 million.... How much more does he want?

I'd do the same. Rent out at below market rates but enough to maintain the property, cover costs and maybe even turn a minuscule profit - think of it as 'poundland' style business - volume rather than high mark up.

People get houses. Long term gains in the value could be passed on to beneficiaries upon death or at some point in the future.

Everybody wins!

A"

Actually the locals have started to complain as he's drove up house prices and rent in his buying spree?.

Of course he's now got more locals who have to rent because he's outbidding them at market!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Curious story today of a man who won 150 million on the lottery and now is buying up houses in his local town to rent out!.

Why?.

"

probably because the housing market is going up by 10% per year at the moment.... where are if you were to put the money into a high interest account, you still wouldn't get close to that return.....

i'd plough a lot of that money into london property...

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Everybody wins!

A.

Actually the locals have started to complain as he's drove up house prices and rent in his buying spree?.

Of course he's now got more locals who have to rent because he's outbidding them at market!"

Ah.

I haven't read the story.

In that case he's a bit of a prick.

A

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Better to invest money in bricks and mortar than keep it in the bank.

over a year ago

Maybe he wants to join the ranks of the many multimillionaires who make a tidy sum out of housing benefit

over a year ago

Everybody wins!

A.

Of course he's now got more locals who have to rent because he's outbidding them at market!

Ah.

I haven't read the story.

In that case he's a bit of a prick.

A"

I don't know if it's intensional just an interesting story on a small scale to what's happening in housing on a nationwide scale

over a year ago

"Curious story today of a man who won 150 million on the lottery and now is buying up houses in his local town to rent out!.

Why?.

"

greedy bastard!

over a year ago

What about the Scottish couple back in 2013 who won £124million euromillions on the Tuesday & on the Friday he was spotted buying a shit load of euro millions to kits for that night, scum of the earth,

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS
over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

maybe its always been his dream to be a landlord

over a year ago

"What about the Scottish couple back in 2013 who won £124million euromillions on the Tuesday & on the Friday he was spotted buying a shit load of euro millions to kits for that night, scum of the earth, "
tickets sorry

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Lord of the manor

over a year ago

Cult of Personality, are you so named after the theme song of former WWE wrestler CM Punk?

over a year ago

"Cult of Personality, are you so named after the theme song of former WWE wrestler CM Punk?"
obiously lol difference is I'm the best in the world not him

over a year ago

Why?.

"

Because he can ........ and if he did not do something would be bored maybe .. its nice to do things even if you have a lot of money .. look at Richard Branson worth loads and still work hard .

over a year ago

"What about the Scottish couple back in 2013 who won £124million euromillions on the Tuesday & on the Friday he was spotted buying a shit load of euro millions to kits for that night, scum of the earth, "

How on earth does that make them scum of the earth?

over a year ago

"What about the Scottish couple back in 2013 who won £124million euromillions on the Tuesday & on the Friday he was spotted buying a shit load of euro millions to kits for that night, scum of the earth,

How on earth does that make them scum of the earth?"

he's just won £125million goes into a shop to but over 200 lucky dips so no 1 else can win it, he still does it it's called greed = scum

over a year ago

"What about the Scottish couple back in 2013 who won £124million euromillions on the Tuesday & on the Friday he was spotted buying a shit load of euro millions to kits for that night, scum of the earth,

How on earth does that make them scum of the earth? he's just won £125million goes into a shop to but over 200 lucky dips so no 1 else can win it, he still does it it's called greed = scum"

£124 sorry

over a year ago

"Lord of the manor "

Give that man a prize.

By *aughtynigel02121980Man
over a year ago

Brandon

Investing in property is the way forward this day and age. If I had the collateral then that is what I would do. Property is always a sound investment as people always need a place to live

over a year ago

How on earth does that make them scum of the earth? he's just won £125million goes into a shop to but over 200 lucky dips so no 1 else can win it, he still does it it's called greed = scum"

How does his buying lucky dips stop someone else from winning?

over a year ago

He can buy as many as he wants and leave them empty if he likes.

Theres always someone with more money than ourselves, spending it how we wouldn't. Wether you won it or earned it doesnt really make any difference.

Personally id be banger racing and smashing up the best classic cars I could get my hands on full chat into stationary cars.......heaven

over a year ago

Maybe he wants to join the ranks of the many multimillionaires who make a tidy sum out of housing benefit"

What I was thinking. Landlords took advantage of this and the government paid.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

You know how the lottery works, right?

200 tickets doesn't guarantee you winning or stop anyone else!

Maybe he planned to give any winnings to charity - maybe he already had with what he'd already won?

Scum of the Earth is a pretty harsh insult I'd reserve for rare occasions - and certainly not for someone buying lottery tickets.

A

By *uttyjonnMan
over a year ago

cheshire

Well would you trust your bank with that kinda of money

Your only guaranteed 85K if the bank goes up the wall

over a year ago

How on earth does that make them scum of the earth? he's just won £125million goes into a shop to but over 200 lucky dips so no 1 else can win it, he still does it it's called greed = scum

How does his buying lucky dips stop someone else from winning?"

it doesn't coz it's all a game of chance but what am saying he's got enough he's now in his 60's so he's not longed for this world so it's more than he needs but he thinks he should have more, he's just a prick how u dont get that baffles me I'm not coming back in this forum so dont bother replying to this,

over a year ago

"I would as well

Spread the money about a bit

Invest in property, buy shares etc.

It's not about being greedy it's about keeping busy.

Building an empire for generations to come.

Like I have said to jools many times

Money like that doesn't just change your life if used wisely it will change the future of our family for generations.

I certainly wouldn't just leave it in the bank

Also think about it, by purchasing properties the money is going back into the economy, creating job's etc..

Yes I would definitely do the same

"

over a year ago

"Well would you trust your bank with that kinda of money

Your only guaranteed 85K if the bank goes up the wall "

Swiss banks keep your money but currently attract a minus 1.3% rate!... Not exactly faith inducing

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

How on earth does that make them scum of the earth? he's just won £125million goes into a shop to but over 200 lucky dips so no 1 else can win it, he still does it it's called greed = scum

You know how the lottery works, right?

200 tickets doesn't guarantee you winning or stop anyone else!

Maybe he planned to give any winnings to charity - maybe he already had with what he'd already won?

Scum of the Earth is a pretty harsh insult I'd reserve for rare occasions - and certainly not for someone buying lottery tickets.

A"

well actually the scottish euromillion winners ended blowing about 10 million of in by bankrolling the "yes" campaign in the referendum.... so maybe they needed to scratchys to recoup some money.......

over a year ago

How does his buying lucky dips stop someone else from winning?it doesn't coz it's all a game of chance but what am saying he's got enough he's now in his 60's so he's not longed for this world so it's more than he needs but he thinks he should have more, he's just a prick how u dont get that baffles me I'm not coming back in this forum so dont bother replying to this, "

You do realise him buying tickets doesn't reduce your chance of winning...?

Ps I'm sure the people in the 60s on here are thrilled to hear they're not long for this world

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

How does his buying lucky dips stop someone else from winning?it doesn't coz it's all a game of chance but what am saying he's got enough he's now in his 60's so he's not longed for this world so it's more than he needs but he thinks he should have more, he's just a prick how u dont get that baffles me I'm not coming back in this forum so dont bother replying to this,

Ps I'm sure the people in the 60s on here are thrilled to hear they're not long for this world "

well at 65 I am glad to be passed his sell by date

Who knows what the guy does with 200 tickets. Maybe give them out to the homeless .. Dunno why some people are so negative about people winning money. Good for them! My Ole man might win one day.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

past

By *eithoWoman
over a year ago

Chatham

Sounds to me his intentions maybe more altruistic?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

How does his buying lucky dips stop someone else from winning?it doesn't coz it's all a game of chance but what am saying he's got enough he's now in his 60's so he's not longed for this world so it's more than he needs but he thinks he should have more, he's just a prick how u dont get that baffles me I'm not coming back in this forum so dont bother replying to this, "

and he whooshes of in a blaze of emerald green!!! hahaha

how many times has the' scum of the earth' won since he has been doing this i wonder?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Why?.

"

why not?

I'd do something with my time and money rather than squander it on frivolities.

over a year ago

How does his buying lucky dips stop someone else from winning?it doesn't coz it's all a game of chance but what am saying he's got enough he's now in his 60's so he's not longed for this world so it's more than he needs but he thinks he should have more, he's just a prick how u dont get that baffles me I'm not coming back in this forum so dont bother replying to this,

Ps I'm sure the people in the 60s on here are thrilled to hear they're not long for this world

well at 65 I am glad to be passed his sell by date

Who knows what the guy does with 200 tickets. Maybe give them out to the homeless .. Dunno why some people are so negative about people winning money. Good for them! My Ole man might win one day."

It wasn't posed as a thing to people winning money or even wealthy people in general, more a question of what you do with the money afterwards.

over a year ago

Why?.

"

Where's the story reported?

over a year ago

Why?.

"

Because he can!

over a year ago

Why?.

"

I call that smart investment

I would do exactly the same

id also invest it into quite a few other things

over a year ago

Why?.

Where's the story reported?"

One of the papers I was flicking through while waiting for my daughter to choose which ice cream she wanted

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

If I won 150 million I would certainly invest in houseing. I have so many plans but just to spend and not invest would not work for me. I would not expext my kids or friends to sit back and just take .. they would need to make the money work for them. With that amount I could really make people happy .. Who really knows how winners really deal with that sort of windfall.

over a year ago

Why?.

id also invest it into quite a few other things "

Why smart,I see that quote alot and wonder why people see houses as smart investments.

Could it be your to young to remember the period between 1987 and 1999?

over a year ago

Lol people recommending ' investing' in property,what could possibly go wrong????

over a year ago

Why?.

id also invest it into quite a few other things "

also they've already won a 150 million do you need a smart investment?.

The standard interest on any scheme is 8 million a year

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

. How does that stop anyone else winning ? They can always buy their tickets elsewhere . He has probably saved them money because you are unlikely to win anyway. .

over a year ago

Why?.

id also invest it into quite a few other things also they've already won a 150 million do you need a smart investment?.

The standard interest on any scheme is 8 million a year"

Would it satisfy you more if they pissed it up the wall?

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"Lol people recommending ' investing' in property,what could possibly go wrong???? "
. Prices can also fall and may well do so when interest rates rise ..History would suggest that his return would be higher if he were to invest in a mixed portfolio of shares .

over a year ago

I'd buy up worldwide malteser production, flood the market awash with cheap maltesers so everybody can enjoy their malty goodness, tell them "look how good your life is now, no more looking on enviously at the haves when no one need be a have not anymore", then, just when everyone takes cheap freely available maltesers for granted I'd slowly tighten supply...

over a year ago

Why?.

id also invest it into quite a few other things also they've already won a 150 million do you need a smart investment?.

"

No I posed the question yesterday in the difference between renting and buying and nobody mentioned investment.

I posed the question differently and now everybody sees it as investment.

I'm not here to tell you what to do, I'm here to challenge your belief structure

over a year ago

Why?.

No I posed the question yesterday in the difference between renting and buying and nobody mentioned investment.

I'm not here to tell you what to do, I'm here to challenge your belief structure "

....I'm not sure my belief structure has been fundamentally challenged by a comparison between two completely different things, could you please explain?

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

Philanthropy

He sounds like a proper lovely man

Helping out others less fortunate than himself

over a year ago

Why?.

I'm not here to tell you what to do, I'm here to challenge your belief structure

....I'm not sure my belief structure has been fundamentally challenged by a comparison between two completely different things, could you please explain?"

Yes I posed the question as you'll remember about renting over buying and very few people said it was about investment.

I think you yourself said it was about restrictions over renting to buying, which I can agree with.

But the story, which is actually factual, now people see that buying houses is an investment!.

Now my point was about how we see buying a house and the point of it, in other words are we really buying a house or an investment?

over a year ago

Why?.

....I'm not sure my belief structure has been fundamentally challenged by a comparison between two completely different things, could you please explain?.

Yes I posed the question as you'll remember about renting over buying and very few people said it was about investment.

I think you yourself said it was about restrictions over renting to buying, which I can agree with.

But the story, which is actually factual, now people see that buying houses is an investment!.

Now my point was about how we see buying a house and the point of it, in other words are we really buying a house or an investment?"

The thread yesterday was about people wanting to own a home to live in, and of course one of the reasons behind that CAN be as an investment, I just don't believe it's the primary reason when you're talking about people saving up to buy a house. That thread was about the housing crisis, about people wanting decent places to live. If the thread had been "what are some of the reasons people buy property" then investment would be far more likely to have come up as a reason.

This is about someone buying many properties which they aren't going to live in - I'm not sure you've caught us out, or proved a point - it's just a very different scenario.

over a year ago

Why?.

....I'm not sure my belief structure has been fundamentally challenged by a comparison between two completely different things, could you please explain?.

Now my point was about how we see buying a house and the point of it, in other words are we really buying a house or an investment?

The thread yesterday was about people wanting to own a home to live in, and of course one of the reasons behind that CAN be as an investment, I just don't believe it's the primary reason when you're talking about people saving up to buy a house. That thread was about the housing crisis, about people wanting decent places to live. If the thread had been "what are some of the reasons people buy property" then investment would be far more likely to have come up as a reason.

This is about someone buying many properties which they aren't going to live in - I'm not sure you've caught us out, or proved a point - it's just a very different scenario. "

No it's the same question I've just moved the goal posts to someone else buying the house instead of yourself.

I'm not trying to catch you out, it's not a quiz.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/03/15 00:42:52]

over a year ago

It's not the same question posed differently. It's not about whether it's me or someone else - one question was about someone buying a house to live in as their home, this is about someone buying properties without plans to live in them. Still a completely different thing.

over a year ago

"It's not the same question posed differently. It's not about whether it's me or someone else - one question was about someone buying a house to live in as their home, this is about someone buying properties without plans to live in them. Still a completely different thing."

You think?, you don't see the correlation between somebody buying houses as an investment with spare money but somebody buying a house with no spare money that they will live in!!.

You see for me I'm the opposite I don't see the difference between why you pay capitol gains on a house you don't live in, and why you don't pay capitol gains on house you do.

Something's are either investments or there not.

Nobody buys a new car with the idea that next year it's going to be worth more than this (or at least not in general terms).

So why do we see it in houses?

over a year ago

"It's not the same question posed differently. It's not about whether it's me or someone else - one question was about someone buying a house to live in as their home, this is about someone buying properties without plans to live in them. Still a completely different thing..

You think?, you don't see the correlation between somebody buying houses as an investment with spare money but somebody buying a house with no spare money that they will live in!!.

You see for me I'm the opposite I don't see the difference between why you pay capitol gains on a house you don't live in, and why you don't pay capitol gains on house you do.

Nobody buys a new car with the idea that next year it's going to be worth more than this (or at least not in general terms).

So why do we see it in houses?"

It's about the motivation. I don't believe most people buy houses that they're going to live in primarily to make money on them, ergo they're not purchased as investments. They want security, and freedom to do what they want to the property, and to feel rooted somewhere. And there is a rose-tinted thing in the British psyche about home ownership which is different from the Continent. I don't give a toss either way about CGT, I bought my house to live in, because I wanted a home and it's much harder to feel that way about a temporary rental property.

Something bought with the primary or sole purpose of being an investment is an investment. Something not bought with the primarily or sole purpose of being an investment may end up being an investment but why should it be treated as such if that's not what it's meant for?

Even in accounting, assets are treated differently based on their purpose and the motivation for holding them. A building held purely for capital gain and rental income is valued on a different basis to a building which is part of the operation of the organisation.

over a year ago

"It's not the same question posed differently. It's not about whether it's me or someone else - one question was about someone buying a house to live in as their home, this is about someone buying properties without plans to live in them. Still a completely different thing..

It's about the motivation. I don't believe most people buy houses that they're going to live in primarily to make money on them, ergo they're not purchased as investments. They want security, and freedom to do what they want to the property, and to feel rooted somewhere. And there is a rose-tinted thing in the British psyche about home ownership which is different from the Continent. I don't give a toss either way about CGT, I bought my house to live in, because I wanted a home and it's much harder to feel that way about a temporary rental property.

Something bought with the primary or sole purpose of being an investment is an investment. Something not bought with the primarily or sole purpose of being an investment may end up being an investment but why should it be treated as such if that's not what it's meant for?

Even in accounting, assets are treated differently based on their purpose and the motivation for holding them. A building held purely for capital gain and rental income is valued on a different basis to a building which is part of the operation of the organisation. "

Ahh but you see my point that people see property as an investment when not buying as a home.

Now if we could think outside the box for a few minutes, why can't we have long term rentals in the UK, it works everywhere in the world but here!, the rent works out cheaper than buying, you can do want you like to the house (within agreed limitations), it allows people much easier access to movement without the substantial costs of ownership and it takes lots of pressure away from house building! If you take averages out of the equation with emigration/migration

over a year ago

Even in accounting, assets are treated differently based on their purpose and the motivation for holding them. A building held purely for capital gain and rental income is valued on a different basis to a building which is part of the operation of the organisation. "

Also they might not see it like that but they certainly treat it like that.

Hence the massive usage of equity loans on houses over the last few years..... Their houses earn more than they do, and they subsidise their income negativity with house price gains

over a year ago

We won 7.985,568.68 on the lottery, hence both our fooking massive houses with all the shit that goes with it, we have a property letting company and literally every single one of our 38 tenants are foreign, and never once missed a rent payment, we value them in our small town, because pretty much every local is either a pot head, or a smack head, because our town is shit.

By *andomfodCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I'd be right on that for either renting or renovation. Nice little projects keep me busy.

Couldn't just pack up work totally, I'd go mad!

over a year ago

why shouldn't he ?

Yes he could go out & blow it as some other lottery winners have done and then get bad press for being a "fool" but he's chosen to be prudent, good on him.

over a year ago

"Investment "

over a year ago

"

Ahh but you see my point that people see property as an investment when not buying as a home.

Now if we could think outside the box for a few minutes, why can't we have long term rentals in the UK, it works everywhere in the world but here!, the rent works out cheaper than buying, you can do want you like to the house (within agreed limitations), it allows people much easier access to movement without the substantial costs of ownership and it takes lots of pressure away from house building! If you take averages out of the equation with emigration/migration"

I don't disagree that we could have that - but the reality is we don't. No government is going to bring in the kind of structural changes necessary to move to that sort of environment either because we all know that the home ownership question is largely a generational issue. There would also have to be changes to the way we fund retirement, the only reason a lot of older people can manage on their pension is because they've paid off their mortgage and don't have to pay rent.

over a year ago

"

Now if we could think outside the box for a few minutes, why can't we have long term rentals in the UK, it works everywhere in the world but here!, the rent works out cheaper than buying, you can do want you like to the house (within agreed limitations), it allows people much easier access to movement without the substantial costs of ownership and it takes lots of pressure away from house building! If you take averages out of the equation with emigration/migration

I don't disagree that we could have that - but the reality is we don't. No government is going to bring in the kind of structural changes necessary to move to that sort of environment either because we all know that the home ownership question is largely a generational issue. There would also have to be changes to the way we fund retirement, the only reason a lot of older people can manage on their pension is because they've paid off their mortgage and don't have to pay rent."

Sadly yes, on the continent there much more likely to have their parents live with them or vice versa

over a year ago

With a win of £150 million id be buying plenty of houses and use any profit to fund things and offer homes to the homeless etc. I'd also employ family members to run and maintain them.

Send a few million to the hospice that helped my grandad

Help out financially with local food banks etc

Fund local social services fostering

Fund the dachshund rescue uk

There'd also be a few containers with jap imports coming in

I'd like to help out locally as much as possible, as has been said with that amount the interest would be huge. So I'd want to pump into back into the local economy where I could make a difference.

over a year ago

Maybe he wants to own a whole town. Although 150 million is a lot of money maybe he wants to become a billionaire

over a year ago

And at least the money is staying in this country. Most would up and move to somewhere a lot nicer and take the money with them

over a year ago

"Maybe he wants to own a whole town. Although 150 million is a lot of money maybe he wants to become a billionaire "

You could buy all of Wales for that amount.

over a year ago

Why?.

Where's the story reported?.

One of the papers I was flicking through while waiting for my daughter to choose which ice cream she wanted"

I wasn't trying to infer you made it up. I was just interested in reading about it. Sorry if it came across that way. x

over a year ago

Why?.

Where's the story reported?.

One of the papers I was flicking through while waiting for my daughter to choose which ice cream she wanted

I wasn't trying to infer you made it up. I was just interested in reading about it. Sorry if it came across that way. x"

That's OK I didn't take it that way I just couldn't remember Erich tabloid it was.... I think it was the daily mirror

over a year ago

If I remember the story correctly he was a postman , won a 150 million on euro lottery and I think it was somewhere around Suffolk?... But not definite on those details

By *yrone-fem43Woman
over a year ago

tyrone

more importantly is he single and maybe on fab lol

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

So he's in his 60s that means he has still got 30 or 40 years ahead of him. How big is his family he may have children and grandchildren he wants to look after?

Do you know he is not buying for their future?

Seems to me you judge people on silly little things.

Perhaps he is trying to build up a good portfolio to leave to provide income for charities in his will. Rent from houses could provide steady income for a charity for years to come.

over a year ago

Just to be clear 150 million in the simplest of schemes would generate 150k a week in income!.

over a year ago

"If I remember the story correctly he was a postman , won a 150 million on euro lottery and I think it was somewhere around Suffolk?... But not definite on those details"

Thank you I'll have a look.

Post new Message to Thread