Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

cost of replacing a car windscreen ?

Jump to newest

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

anyone had it done lately, their is a big crack on my ford focus, 06 plate any idea how much it costs to replace it, and no I don't have glass cover on my insurance.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Had one replaced on my work van about 2 or 3 years ago, think it cost about £90 quid.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"anyone had it done lately, their is a big crack on my ford focus, 06 plate any idea how much it costs to replace it, and no I don't have glass cover on my insurance."
i

Find out if it's coverd under your insurance first , if not ring local breakers , mine do screens for 25 and have a Bloke that takes them out and fits them for 40

By *MaleMan
over a year ago

last time for me was my insurance excess of £50 on windows. Without that it was 250/350 maybe more

over a year ago

I'm having mine replaced. And i've been quoted £230 with AA

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"last time for me was my insurance excess of £50 on windows. Without that it was 250/350 maybe more"
well that's not as expensive as I was thinking

over a year ago

Autoglass repair

Autoglass replace

over a year ago

The way you're sinking money into that motor it's gonna end up cheaper jacking up the wipers and putting a new car underneath.

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

ring round the independent windscreen guys in your area ..... new screen fitted to an average motor is around 120 bucks when the big players will be more than double that.

over a year ago

Auto glass will be the dearest. Forget about them coming round your house and doing it for free. You get charged for that. Ring a few local independent suppliers. Take it to their depot that will be cheapest

If you are happy with a second hand screen, go the breakers route. One reservation about that is whether the heated front screen will still operate ok.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

most cars today have a bonded screen it's rare to be able to get one out without cracking it , so all talk of getting one from a scrap yard is silly, in the days of a rubber surround yes you could do it but not today

over a year ago

Large shrink wrap and the heater on full.

over a year ago

"Auto glass will be the dearest. Forget about them coming round your house and doing it for free. You get charged for that. Ring a few local independent suppliers. Take it to their depot that will be cheapest

If you are happy with a second hand screen, go the breakers route. One reservation about that is whether the heated front screen will still operate ok. "

What ever you don't get a 2nd hand one. Done that mistake a few years ago then car would not start if it rained the night before because water kept getting into the electrical system. they could not get the used one to sit in as it had old silicon on the original screen. Would not fill the joins.

over a year ago

They are easy to remove with the right tools, string them out with thin wire. The bonding often has a wire in. Connecting that to a car battery is enough to soften the bonding material

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"They are easy to remove with the right tools, string them out with thin wire. The bonding often has a wire in. Connecting that to a car battery is enough to soften the bonding material "

Sounds easy

over a year ago

"Auto glass will be the dearest. Forget about them coming round your house and doing it for free. You get charged for that. Ring a few local independent suppliers. Take it to their depot that will be cheapest

If you are happy with a second hand screen, go the breakers route. One reservation about that is whether the heated front screen will still operate ok.

What ever you don't get a 2nd hand one. Done that mistake a few years ago then car would not start if it rained the night before because water kept getting into the electrical system. they could not get the used one to sit in as it had old silicon on the original screen. Would not fill the joins."

. The moral of that story is to clean the area to be bonded properly first

Post new Message to Thread