Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The Budget

Jump to newest

By *oudnproud OP   Woman
over a year ago

penrith

Anyone watching.

what are you not or looking forward to hearing?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Watching intently

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Fascinating

over a year ago

here

Osborne having a ball

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"Anyone watching.

what are you not or looking forward to hearing?"

Will the Chancellor face reality and take the pending pension crisis . The current system for the public sector is a ticking time bomb. Final salary schemes are non existent now in the private sector . Why should those who contribute to defined contribution schemes subsidise public sector workers in final salary schemes . ?

over a year ago

It will all be pretty good news from Osborne. I am most looking forward to hearing Ed Balls' response. It is hard to argue that the economy isn't doing well relative to major mature economies with the plans in place, so what alternative will Balls offer?? And will it be credible?

over a year ago

Its all back-patting 30 minutes in and no announcements yet. And I do wish the MPs would act with some gravitas and dignity rather than shouting like a bunch of school children.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Anyone watching.

what are you not or looking forward to hearing?Will the Chancellor face reality and take the pending pension crisis . The current system for the public sector is a ticking time bomb. Final salary schemes are non existent now in the private sector . Why should those who contribute to defined contribution schemes subsidise public sector workers in final salary schemes . ? "

in the public sector they are pretty much gone too, not all of it mind but that wont be long..

and those who work for the public sector also pay tax btw..

and contribute to their pensions, some at 12% plus pa..

over a year ago

"Its all back-patting 30 minutes in and no announcements yet. And I do wish the MPs would act with some gravitas and dignity rather than shouting like a bunch of school children."

The Deputy Speaker needs to get a grip! And interesting that Milliband not Balls will respond, shows how little trust Labour has in the shadow chancellor

over a year ago

I'm expecting a load of nonsense like the last 4.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if there's anything of substance to actually tackle any of the problems the country faces.

The trouble with the electorate is there bought off to easily

over a year ago

Three big problems I'd like to see tackled are.

1 infrastructure

2 tax reform

3 banking reform

There's huge change needed in all of them but I doubt we'll see any.

over a year ago

"Three big problems I'd like to see tackled are.

1 infrastructure

2 tax reform

3 banking reform

There's huge change needed in all of them but I doubt we'll see any."

Not going to happen before an election, should form the basis of a cross party committment post May, but don't hold your breath!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

since the department i work in deals with the "pension wise/new state pension" project.... listening intently....

and before anyone asks... we get no notification... we find out the same time as you.... or normally after you when people start ringing and we have been on the phones....

over a year ago

here

"Ten pound of a tank with the Tories"

brilliant

over a year ago

Quite frankly, unless you are involved in the specific areas, the budget was very bland indeed.

And a digital tax return? We know goverments' record on IT projects.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Quite frankly, unless you are involved in the specific areas, the budget was very bland indeed.

And a digital tax return? We know goverments' record on IT projects."

actually quite disappointed by some of the headline figures....

personal allowance only going up in real terms by 1.5%.... public sector wage rises are only going to be 1%

the 7bn transport projects for the south west is going to be part paid with a new rail franchise for the south west.....

over a year ago

"Quite frankly, unless you are involved in the specific areas, the budget was very bland indeed.

personal allowance only going up in real terms by 1.5%.... public sector wage rises are only going to be 1%

the 7bn transport projects for the south west is going to be part paid with a new rail franchise for the south west.....

"

Yup. A non-budget budget. Yawn.

over a year ago

Yup. A non-budget budget. Yawn."

Some good things, threshold before any tax is paid up, no tax on first £1000 of savings will be good for many. In many ways the fact there is no pre-election giveaway and there is a commitment to a longer term plan is somewhat refreshing.

over a year ago

"Its all back-patting 30 minutes in and no announcements yet. And I do wish the MPs would act with some gravitas and dignity rather than shouting like a bunch of school children.

The Deputy Speaker needs to get a grip! And interesting that Milliband not Balls will respond, shows how little trust Labour has in the shadow chancellor "

I have always voted Labour IF I feel that their leadership team has the aptitude for the job and their policies are realistic/workable both socially and for business and to avoid mass migration of the wealthy/higher tax payers (as happened in the seventies).

This time, unfortunately, I don't consider them to be viable!

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I like all the paper waving.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the problem is when the tories talk about the northern powerhouse.... they are basically only talking about the leeds-manchester-sheffield triangle.......

the rest of the north west.... and the north east isn't getting any of this help at all........

as it was pointed out.... for every pound of spending on transport in the north east.... 25 pounds is being spent on london and the south east... and they are going to be getting further investment.....

over a year ago

The personal savings allowance is for the first £1,000 on interest earned on savings. With interest rates as they are, you would need to have a big pot of money to earn that much in interest. It is not going to affect the average household. The cut in the petrol rate is much more likely to affect households but, really, there were no headlines. Unless your church needs its roof fixing.

over a year ago

"the problem is when the tories talk about the northern powerhouse.... they are basically only talking about the leeds-manchester-sheffield triangle.......

the rest of the north west.... and the north east isn't getting any of this help at all........

as it was pointed out.... for every pound of spending on transport in the north east.... 25 pounds is being spent on london and the south east... and they are going to be getting further investment....."

Surely, you don't want the Southerners polluting you. ??

over a year ago

"the problem is when the tories talk about the northern powerhouse.... they are basically only talking about the leeds-manchester-sheffield triangle.......

as it was pointed out.... for every pound of spending on transport in the north east.... 25 pounds is being spent on london and the south east... and they are going to be getting further investment....."

To be honest, they're mainly talking about Greater Manchester most of the time. South Yorkshire (Sheffield City Region) probably next in line (helped by the fact Nick Clegg's constituency is in Sheffield) followed by Leeds/West Yorkshire.

The North East needs to sort out its own petty squabbling and in-fighting among local politicians before it will ever be taken seriously as a region anyway (don't get me started on this) and trusted with further devolution of funding or powers.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

have to say was quite impressed with danny alexander on the bbc a couple of minutes ago.... he is one of the lib dems i actually like....

whether i could bring myself to vote for them again is a different question....

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

""Ten pound of a tank with the Tories"

brilliant "

they selling off all of our armed forces equipment then..?

over a year ago

1p off a pint yippeee

over a year ago

Yup. A non-budget budget. Yawn.

Some good things, threshold before any tax is paid up, no tax on first £1000 of savings will be good for many. In many ways the fact there is no pre-election giveaway and there is a commitment to a longer term plan is somewhat refreshing. "

Not even the granny bonds paying 4%?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It was bland, looking after the few rather than the many, whilst regurgitating spin on our dismal economic management.

Too many earning so little and with low job security to be able to save much, so paying less tax on savings helps a minority and others by a tiny amount, and not yet.

Public money given to people saving for first home purchase helps a minority and does nothing to help cap house prices and thus how much they'll need to borrow.

Nothing to help the millions paying exorbitant rent rises, and fuelling property prices will guarantee more rent increases, with buy to let landlords.

Nothing to really grow the economy, increasing jobs and incomes, when you exclude house prices and banking.

Meanwhile austerity will increase job insecurity and push wages low. Think they're caring about us? Think again.

over a year ago

"It was bland, looking after the few rather than the many, whilst regurgitating spin on our dismal economic management.

Too many earning so little and with low job security to be able to save much, so paying less tax on savings helps a minority and others by a tiny amount, and not yet.

Public money given to people saving for first home purchase helps a minority and does nothing to help cap house prices and thus how much they'll need to borrow.

Nothing to help the millions paying exorbitant rent rises, and fuelling property prices will guarantee more rent increases, with buy to let landlords.

Nothing to really grow the economy, increasing jobs and incomes, when you exclude house prices and banking.

Meanwhile austerity will increase job insecurity and push wages low. Think they're caring about us? Think again."

Economy growing, investment starting to be directed outside of London, employment increasing and state finances being brought under control. While not perfect, relative to France, Italy Spain etc we seem to be in much better shape. Is more borrowing and state spending really an alternative at the moment?

over a year ago

"It was bland, looking after the few rather than the many, whilst regurgitating spin on our dismal economic management.

Meanwhile austerity will increase job insecurity and push wages low. Think they're caring about us? Think again.

Economy growing, investment starting to be directed outside of London, employment increasing and state finances being brought under control. While not perfect, relative to France, Italy Spain etc we seem to be in much better shape. Is more borrowing and state spending really an alternative at the moment?"

Did you just say more borrowing!.

He's borrowed more than any chancellor in history.

I say we either have austerity or don't but don't say let's have austerity, then give billions in cheap money hand over fist to every bank or blue chip company who wants it.

Were 1.4 trillion in debt he came in to power when we were 650 billion in debt.... That's not austerity, that's giving away my money to wealthy people while telling me to tighten my belt... Fuck him. he's an idiot

over a year ago

In fact if you work it out he's spent 700 billion to get 50 billon of growth... That's just fucking idiocy

over a year ago

So glad they came out with the 25% contribution for a first time buyer deposit. I only need to save 56k instead of 70k now

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

16p on a packet of fags

over a year ago

"In fact if you work it out he's spent 700 billion to get 50 billon of growth... That's just fucking idiocy"

But the alternative policies being advocated were for even more debt. The debt we have now was baked into the economy due to a strucutral and cyclical defecit which was inherited. I'm not arguing it is easy, but i struggle buy a borrow more and spend more alternative.

over a year ago

"In fact if you work it out he's spent 700 billion to get 50 billon of growth... That's just fucking idiocy

But the alternative policies being advocated were for even more debt. The debt we have now was baked into the economy due to a strucutral and cyclical defecit which was inherited. I'm not arguing it is easy, but i struggle buy a borrow more and spend more alternative."

I agree but I'd rather have austerity or no austerity.

What we've got is austerity for poor people (anyone worth less than ten million)

over a year ago

Let's not forget the 400 billon of our own bonds we've bought in QE.

It's alright saying ooooo aren't we doing well with 1% growth... But that ain't gonna do shit to repay what he's borrowed... We would technically be better off with a 10% growth reduction and not have the trillion of debt!

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

Whatever your political opinion is, one thing is clear. The next three years will see more cuts than a barber shop.

over a year ago

"Let's not forget the 400 billon of our own bonds we've bought in QE.

It's alright saying ooooo aren't we doing well with 1% growth... But that ain't gonna do shit to repay what he's borrowed... We would technically be better off with a 10% growth reduction and not have the trillion of debt!"

Yeah, SB, let's not forget which clown/cunt of a Chancellor caused the need for all the QE and so called "austerity" in the first place. Care to name him?

Austerity my arse, my grandad's laughing at you all.

over a year ago

"Let's not forget the 400 billon of our own bonds we've bought in QE.

It's alright saying ooooo aren't we doing well with 1% growth... But that ain't gonna do shit to repay what he's borrowed... We would technically be better off with a 10% growth reduction and not have the trillion of debt!

Yeah, SB, let's not forget which clown/cunt of a Chancellor caused the need for all the QE and so called "austerity" in the first place. Care to name him?

Austerity my arse, my grandad's laughing at you all. "

You mean dear old Gordon!!.

No better or worse than the current twat.

The guys that caused it are laughing all the way to the bank... Which is apt as they work there

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"1p off a pint yippeee "

Get a free pint for every 400 you drink

over a year ago

"So glad they came out with the 25% contribution for a first time buyer deposit. I only need to save 56k instead of 70k now "

Move oop north, you could get a terrace house, an Accrington Stanley season ticket, a meat pie and change out of yer £56k.

over a year ago

"So glad they came out with the 25% contribution for a first time buyer deposit. I only need to save 56k instead of 70k now "

That was the whole point of QE to free the banks of their liabilities and let them lend free to (the lower classes).

The trouble is they took the money and fucking threw into the stock exchange and housing instead...

Hence why the government after throwing money at the banks now have to throw money at house buyers as well...

Still this austerity, what a bugger?

over a year ago

Haven't seen the budget but the 25% deposit has got my attention

So if You saved £10,000 for a deposit you'd get a £2500 top up making in it 12,500 deposit ?

Is that the General jist of it?

over a year ago

"have to say was quite impressed with danny alexander on the bbc a couple of minutes ago.... he is one of the lib dems i actually like....

whether i could bring myself to vote for them again is a different question...."

I know exactly what you mean Fabio.

over a year ago

"Haven't seen the budget but the 25% deposit has got my attention

So if You saved £10,000 for a deposit you'd get a £2500 top up making in it 12,500 deposit ?

Is that the General jist of it?"

Err no from my understanding of it pre budget. They'll lend you 20% you find 5%

over a year ago

The trouble with politicians is just that..... there politicians. Are any off them telling us the truth. I can see there lips move

over a year ago

So 10 grand gets you a 200k house with you putting in ten and the government putting in 40k making a deposit of 50 aka 25%.

Or at least I think that's how it goes, if you can find someone to lend you the other 150k ... Good luck on that one

over a year ago

Is that the General jist of it?.

Err no from my understanding of it pre budget. They'll lend you 20% you find 5%"

It's neither.

It's a bonus representing 25% of the amount saved on a monthly basis up to £200 after an initial lump sum of up to £1,000 - if you save the full £200 each month, the government will add £50.

Accounts can be opened for a period of up to four years, which means that in total up to £3k from the government available on a savings pot of £12k. In theory a couple could pool it, making a maximum savings pot of £24k with government contribution of £6k, and there's a limit on the value of the property it can be used for - I think £200k outside London, £400k in London or something like that.

over a year ago

Is that the General jist of it?.

Err no from my understanding of it pre budget. They'll lend you 20% you find 5%

It's neither.

It's a bonus representing 25% of the amount saved on a monthly basis up to £200 after an initial lump sum of up to £1,000 - if you save the full £200 each month, the government will add £50.

Accounts can be opened for a period of up to four years, which means that in total up to £3k from the government available on a savings pot of £12k. In theory a couple could pool it, making a maximum savings pot of £24k with government contribution of £6k, and there's a limit on the value of the property it can be used for - I think £200k outside London, £400k in London or something like that. "

I thought the limit was 600k?

over a year ago

Ahh is this the new rules after this budget or the old ones?.

I've not really listened to it today!

over a year ago

The bonus will be available on home purchases up to £450,000 in London and up to £250,000 outside London.

copied from thisismoney website

over a year ago

"The bonus will be available on home purchases up to £450,000 in London and up to £250,000 outside London.

copied from thisismoney website "

Yes I just had a quick gander they've obviously had a redo this budget.

Ignore my previous post

over a year ago

"Ahh is this the new rules after this budget or the old ones?.

I've not really listened to it today!"

This is the new first time buyer scheme announced in today's budget.

over a year ago

"Ahh is this the new rules after this budget or the old ones?.

I've not really listened to it today!

This is the new first time buyer scheme announced in today's budget."

Yeah foot mouth... Rings a bell lol

over a year ago

a discussion not on sex yipeee

over a year ago

"a discussion not on sex yipeee"

Yeah I'm hopeless with sex hence the ridiculous housing questions .

Mind you I did read the bbc website topic of men who do these small penis get together parties and I was sat there smirking when they said they averaged nearly 4 inch's.... Poor fuckers I thought... Then I read that was flaccid .

Where's this party again

over a year ago

To bed to bed said sleepy head

Post new Message to Thread