Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Youth Work

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi all!

Some of you know I'm considering switching jobs....

Does anybody here know a youth worker..?

What's the job like...?

Do you enjoy it...?

What are prospects like in the field and what's the pay like...?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I know a few, it takes some social skills that not all possess. I don't for one

you may well want to volunteer for a period before making your decision, there should be lots of opportunity within the voluntary sector to get a taster.

By *rank EinsteinMan
over a year ago

Burton upon stather

"I know a few, it takes some social skills that not all possess. I don't for one

you may well want to volunteer for a period before making your decision, there should be lots of opportunity within the voluntary sector to get a taster."

Do-it.org is a volunteer site that loads of companies use. Well worth checking out for some experience.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Becarful as funding has pretty much be wiped in certain sectors my advice to you is to seek a job that has security and not one where you are stressing every year wondering if they are going to re commission the service

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

I have been a youth worker...

Pay was terrible, hours were all over the place, job was challenging (not always a good way either), I was shouted at, abused, and physically assaulted.

Promotion is limited, and not sure how your local authority are, but youth work is often one of the first areas cut back.

Jobs are often year to year dependent on grant funding, and unstable.

I still work in the community learning and development field but in a much more satisfying role.

over a year ago

"Becarful as funding has pretty much be wiped in certain sectors my advice to you is to seek a job that has security and not one where you are stressing every year wondering if they are going to re commission the service "

Hmmm... Do you know which areas maybe relatively secure..?

I may request a 4 day week from my current job to enable me to do some voluntary work...

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I'm not a youth worker but I do work alongside them or did as we've pretty much lost the majority of our youth services in the latest budget cuts!!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"Becarful as funding has pretty much be wiped in certain sectors my advice to you is to seek a job that has security and not one where you are stressing every year wondering if they are going to re commission the service

Hmmm... Do you know which areas maybe relatively secure..?

I may request a 4 day week from my current job to enable me to do some voluntary work..."

In the public sector no job is secure...

over a year ago

as a carer of more elderly and people with mental health issues and learning difficulties - i come across some people that work with young people - devoted is a word that comes to mind - and strong in m body and mind

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Becarful as funding has pretty much be wiped in certain sectors my advice to you is to seek a job that has security and not one where you are stressing every year wondering if they are going to re commission the service "

I understand what you are saying but the work is still worthwhile and it's rewarding. If we only go for jobs with guaranteed longevity then there really aren't that many left.

OP, do volunteer. I have sent you a PM with some information. Get a feel for whether it is something you can do and, more importantly, enjoy doing.

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I am a Youth/ Community Development Worker. It's the greatest job in the world despite the catastrophic cuts in public services and particularly youth work.

I work primarily with young men and every day is a learning curve. I also manage a small community centre (which keeps us afloat financially) on behalf of the local authority. (I work for a very small charity). Unfortunately, youth work has (as people have mentioned) been cut (it's not a statutory service) and whilst I would (in my heart) say go for it my brain is saying no...there is no future.

I stick with it (6 month temporary contracts if I am lucky with funding applications) because...well someone has to.

over a year ago

Thank you all.

I've only been at my current school since January but I'm seriously thinking of going down to a 4 day week..and perhaps volunteering on the 5th day...or simply rest to prevent burnout!!

over a year ago

"Thank you all.

I've only been at my current school since January but I'm seriously thinking of going down to a 4 day week..and perhaps volunteering on the 5th day...or simply rest to prevent burnout!! "

i dont know how long your working day is but there always clubs for young people - regular/learning difficulties/physical problems - maybe you could help out at those to begin with without reducing your workload - this might be too much of course just a thought

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I am a Youth/ Community Development Worker. It's the greatest job in the world despite the catastrophic cuts in public services and particularly youth work.

I work primarily with young men and every day is a learning curve. I also manage a small community centre (which keeps us afloat financially) on behalf of the local authority. (I work for a very small charity). Unfortunately, youth work has (as people have mentioned) been cut (it's not a statutory service) and whilst I would (in my heart) say go for it my brain is saying no...there is no future.

I stick with it (6 month temporary contracts if I am lucky with funding applications) because...well someone has to.

"

And I thank you for doing it.

I wasn't surprised at the riots in 2011 - the trigger was here in London but the effect was national. In all of the areas experiencing serious rioting youth service funding had been cut by 50-75% just before the summer holidays and all the diversionary schemes disappeared almost overnight.

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I am a Youth/ Community Development Worker. It's the greatest job in the world despite the catastrophic cuts in public services and particularly youth work.

I wasn't surprised at the riots in 2011 - the trigger was here in London but the effect was national. In all of the areas experiencing serious rioting youth service funding had been cut by 50-75% just before the summer holidays and all the diversionary schemes disappeared almost overnight.

"

Tell me about it! I worked in partnership with Catch 22 (locally Positive Futures) for years and they left the neighbourhood last year. We are still reeling from it.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Tell me about it! I worked in partnership with Catch 22 (locally Positive Futures) for years and they left the neighbourhood last year. We are still reeling from it. "

Gosh, it is bad if Catch 22 feel they have to pull out!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"Becarful as funding has pretty much be wiped in certain sectors my advice to you is to seek a job that has security and not one where you are stressing every year wondering if they are going to re commission the service

I understand what you are saying but the work is still worthwhile and it's rewarding. If we only go for jobs with guaranteed longevity then there really aren't that many left.

OP, do volunteer. I have sent you a PM with some information. Get a feel for whether it is something you can do and, more importantly, enjoy doing.

"

To be honest I'd rather a secure job I have my own future and sanity to think of and I'd wish no one to go into something with rose tinted glasses. We all work under a different local authority where budgets are different. After the riots there was a huge amount of money ploughed into gangs well that lasted 12 months and the budget was pulled. It is what it is and id rather be honest with people who wish to work In the public sector

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/03/15 23:51:34]

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

To be honest I'd rather a secure job I have my own future and sanity to think of and I'd wish no one to go into something with rose tinted glasses. We all work under a different local authority where budgets are different. After the riots there was a huge amount of money ploughed into gangs well that lasted 12 months and the budget was pulled. It is what it is and id rather be honest with people who wish to work In the public sector "

And I say this because I work in the most high demand of service and I have 12 months then I'm out of a job due to budget cuts...

over a year ago

There is much to mull over. You're a wonderful lot!

My heart is in helping people...public service fits my soul.

But I do have my family to consider - they are the reason I considering changing jobs in the first place.... That and my sanity!

Yet..the mortgage forces me to think twice.

over a year ago

"

And I say this because I work in the most high demand of service and I have 12 months then I'm out of a job due to budget cuts..."

That's terrible!

I hope some wonderful opportunities make their way toward you within that time! X

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"

And I say this because I work in the most high demand of service and I have 12 months then I'm out of a job due to budget cuts...

That's terrible!

I hope some wonderful opportunities make their way toward you within that time! X"

I'm really not thinking about it I haven't got time to think but I'll be ok

over a year ago

"Hi all!

Some of you know I'm considering switching jobs....

Does anybody here know a youth worker..?

What's the job like...?

"

Yeah my cousin is like a MASSIVE underground MC in the drum & bass scene.

I personally hate drum & bass.

He uses his fame/ influence and does LOADS of youth work to keep kids off of drugs.

He loves it.

It's all he talks about.

Every last second he has he's working with the kids.

over a year ago

I've worked in the voluntary all my working life. 20 years minus 1 year of hell when I had to pay bills and worked for a rather large organisation.

For 1 Christmas only, I knew I had a secure job to come back to.

I have loved all of it. I'm currently taking some time out to study and I miss it. I worked with so many organisations in my roles and a lot were youth offending teams/rehab/disability/mental health/statutory services.

My advice is to dip a toe in the water. Try it. Hear what it is like to work in these roles. Hear what the climate is like.

To this day I can tell you a million things good and a lot less bad in terms of having a rewarding career. It's just not for everyone. Good luck!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

To be honest I'd rather a secure job I have my own future and sanity to think of and I'd wish no one to go into something with rose tinted glasses. We all work under a different local authority where budgets are different. After the riots there was a huge amount of money ploughed into gangs well that lasted 12 months and the budget was pulled. It is what it is and id rather be honest with people who wish to work In the public sector

And I say this because I work in the most high demand of service and I have 12 months then I'm out of a job due to budget cuts..."

And that was the position you were in this time last year and the year before. This is the third year I have seen your posts that your job was uncertain, being axed, not knowing what would happen.

This may well be your last year there because of cuts but it might also be your last year because you find something you want to move into.

I understand that is stressful - I live with that all the time and without the benefits of sick pay or annual leave. If the money isn't there I can't get the work.

Not all of the private sector is that secure either. Job security is something from a by-gone age. Of course we could just work in supermarkets if security is what we want.

I would never suggest anyone go into any new career with rose-tinted glasses and so my first response to the OP was to point him in the direction of where the information is that he needs to make an informed choice. Just as I would with anyone and, where I have it, the opportunities to look at. As you know.

Work is such a big part of our lives and has to provide for most of us but doing something you have a passion for is always better than doing something you hate. No one gives their best work doing something they hate.

By *lackbirdtimestwoWoman
over a year ago

birmingham

You'd be hard pushed to find youth work on Birmingham that's funded, charity yes, I'd suggest doing some voluntary work or make links with the police,, preventative work.

over a year ago

I'm a former youth worker. I loved it. I worked for the YMCA. Could ways volunteer somewhere to see of you like it. It's not for the faint hearted. People think it's east but it's the hardest job I've ever done. Also the most fun.

Post new Message to Thread