Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

St Patrick vs St George

Jump to newest

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

With all the paddys day posts I am intrigued would people be the same on April 23rd.

It does appear that it is ok to have a paddys day parade but if we had a st George's we would be classed as a edl/ukip or a racist.

I wondering what people's thoughts are on this

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Couldn't give two flying fucks what anyone else thinks, I'm English and I will celebrate St George's Day with pride.

I take no notice of St Patrick's Day because I'm not Irish.

over a year ago

"Couldn't give two flying fucks what anyone else thinks, I'm English and I will celebrate St George's Day with pride.

I take no notice of St Patrick's Day because I'm not Irish."

Gimp

over a year ago

love the irish great people and party as much as us scots

By *inky BunnyMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Couldn't give two flying fucks what anyone else thinks, I'm English and I will celebrate St George's Day with pride.

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England."

- Winston Churchill

over a year ago

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England."

- Winston Churchill "

God, can you imagine David Cameron saying that? No, of course not, silly me. The current government are terrified to even mention the word 'England' or 'English'.

By *ittle Pocket PerveWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I will wish everyone a good St George's Day when it gets here as well as wishing my Irish friends a good St Patricks Day today... Because that's the way I was brought up, my friends are my friends whatever their nationality!

over a year ago

We have a parade in our borough,no one calls it racist. The fact that Irish people have kept up celebrations and English people couldn't be bothered is more the case

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/03/15 08:47:14]

By *inky BunnyMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"We have a parade in our borough,no one calls it racist. The fact that Irish people have kept up celebrations and English people couldn't be bothered is more the case"

Empty vessels make more noise

over a year ago

"I will wish everyone a good St George's Day when it gets here as well as wishing my Irish friends a good St Patricks Day today... Because that's the way I was brought up, my friends are my friends whatever their nationality! "

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"With all the paddys day posts I am intrigued would people be the same on April 23rd.

It does appear that it is ok to have a paddys day parade but if we had a st George's we would be classed as a edl/ukip or a racist.

I wondering what people's thoughts are on this "

I think a lot of English people use that racist card as an excuse because they can't be bothered to get together, raise money and put on a parade.

The Birmingham St Patricks Parade takes so much work and money to set up, but it keeps going because the community support it

West Bromwich and Birmingham hold a St George events but they are not very well attended ... If people went I am sure it would grow like St Patricks did

over a year ago

"I will wish everyone a good St George's Day when it gets here as well as wishing my Irish friends a good St Patricks Day today... Because that's the way I was brought up, my friends are my friends whatever their nationality! "

over a year ago

"We have a parade in our borough,no one calls it racist. The fact that Irish people have kept up celebrations and English people couldn't be bothered is more the case

Empty vessels make more noise "

So do people full of alcohol

By *inky BunnyMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"We have a parade in our borough,no one calls it racist. The fact that Irish people have kept up celebrations and English people couldn't be bothered is more the case

Empty vessels make more noise

So do people full of alcohol "

Guinness?

over a year ago

I get what you are saying OP and its the same for a lot of people be it St Andrews day,St David's day or St George's day as it seems like no one really bothers yet everyone is celebrating St Patrick's day.

over a year ago

- Winston Churchill "

The political establishment seems all too happy to denigrate the English and deny England it's place.

We for one will celebrate St George's Day, get annoyed at the English who celebrate St Parricks Day whilst wishing out Irish/Ulster friends, a lovely day x

over a year ago

St David's day is celebrated here, nobody minds if england celebrate St George's day. Actually think it's strange if they don't celebrate it.

over a year ago

"St David's day is celebrated here, nobody minds if england celebrate St George's day. Actually think it's strange if they don't celebrate it. "

yea,,no ones stopping them,,but they dont

By *rishman75Man
over a year ago

Chessington/epsom

I celebrated St Patrick's day here but I also celebrate St Georges Day as well and I wear a England Rugby shirt and I'm irish !!

By *ylonSlutTV/TS
over a year ago

Durham

Ironically enough St Patrick is English and St George is a kurdish turk.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i celebrate st patricks day as it is part of my heritage....

guinness please!!! lol

By *rishman75Man
over a year ago

Chessington/epsom

"i celebrate st patricks day as it is part of my heritage....

guinness please!!! lol "

ill drink one for you tonight mate

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"With all the paddys day posts I am intrigued would people be the same on April 23rd.

There are like loads of pubs that celebrate St George's day around here

Plus I very much doubt that any sort of parade would cause concerns,those sort of remarks are just made to try and cause controversy

We celebrate both as we have Irish and English heritage and we can do so quite easily without each of us calling the other a racist

By *essysteveCouple
over a year ago

ALICANTE AREA SPAIN

guinness please!!! lol "

My sentiments exactly - any excuse for a pint of the black stuff

over a year ago

I will celebrate St George's day in town with my ex forces m8s

OAFAAF

over a year ago

Unfortunately this thread carries a lot of truth

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

guinness please!!! lol

My sentiments exactly - any excuse for a pint of the black stuff"

see and my little know fact of the day (and a brilliant pub quiz question).... there are only two places in the world where st.patricks day is a national holiday......

Ireland is one..... where is the other?

over a year ago

guinness please!!! lol

My sentiments exactly - any excuse for a pint of the black stuff

see and my little know fact of the day (and a brilliant pub quiz question).... there are only two places in the world where st.patricks day is a national holiday......

Ireland is one..... where is the other? "

Mauritius

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Mauritius "

nope.....

over a year ago

I'm Welsh so St David's (Dai) Day is a time to celebrate welshness

over a year ago

"

Mauritius

nope..... "

Newfoundland in Canada? (I think I remember this from geography!)

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I'm Welsh so St David's (Dai) Day is a time to celebrate welshness "

too right.... sheep and leeks day!!!!

daffs and taffs!!!!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Newfoundland in Canada? (I think I remember this from geography!)"

can't give you this.... yes the region celebrates st patricks day as a holiday (newfoundland and labrador) but not the entire country.......

I am looking for another country.....

over a year ago

this

over a year ago

"We have a parade in our borough,no one calls it racist. The fact that Irish people have kept up celebrations and English people couldn't be bothered is more the case"

over a year ago

"Ironically enough St Patrick is English and St George is a kurdish turk. "

St Patrick was Welsh not english

over a year ago

I think you'll find many places in England celebrate St George's day with parades , shows , concerts and other things. Just because you can't be bothered to seek one out it doesn't mean they don't exist. That tired old we can't be english or we're racist is just hogwash. If you believe that old line the EDL and such like put out then you are the sort of gullible person they are looking to recruit.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

I think the real problem with St. George is that he, unlike St. David, St. Andrew or St. Patrick, may not have ever actually even existed. If he did exist he was definitely not English or have any real connection with England and his most famous act, killing a dragon, almost definitely did not happen.

Added to this is also the fact that St. George is not the undisputed patron saint of England. He was in fact imposed on England by our Norman overlords in the 12 to 13th Centaury. Prior to that the patron saint of England had been St Edmund.

There is also the problem that the Catholic Church has relegated St. George from the position of a full saint. Officially the patron saint of England is now St. Thomas Becket.

Added to that do we really need yet another bank holiday along with Easter, May Day and late May at that time of year?

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

I think you'll find many places in England celebrate St George's day with parades , shows , concerts and other things. Just because you can't be bothered to seek one out it doesn't mean they don't exist. That tired old we can't be english or we're racist is just hogwash. If you believe that old line the EDL and such like put out then you are the sort of gullible person they are looking to recruit. "

Exactly. There are St Georges Day celebrations all over England every year.

In fact, we probably have as many as all the other countries who celebrate St George's Day...that is Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Greece, Macedonia, Romania, and Serbia.

And then there are the cities, which include Genoa in Italy, Beirut in Lebanon, Qormi and Victoria in Malta, Moscow in Russia, Ljubljana in Slovenia, Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.

Hooray for St George!

By *imjohnCouple
over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

over a year ago

Is it Montserrat Fabio

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Was St George anything to do with Greece or is just football banter?

over a year ago

Have a good st paddy's day guys an girls. They no how to party and I always have a saint geroges day party. Has lost the care of people over time ? councils don't help banners an flags moan about them even world cups can effend people.

Both Irish, English should celebrate.Both days enjoy people x

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Is it Montserrat Fabio "

it is...... you win!!!!!

so as well as the irish celebrating just remember that there is a very very small island in the carribean that as having as much fun today......

over a year ago

See Google is great lol

over a year ago

So what is the prize Fabio

over a year ago

its the same in scotland half dont even know when its st andrews day.. my town also had a big paddys day festival on saturday, half the people there couldnt even tell you where ireland was on the map

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

St. Edmund's day - 20 Nov

St. Thomas Becket - 29 Dec

St. George - 23 April

As England has a population more than 3 times the rest of the British Isles why not have holidays on each potential saints day.

Just a shame no one thought to have a saint whose day is in Jun/Jul/Aug

over a year ago

I know where there will be a few out celebrating St Geordies day this year in the Toon on the day, take its mostly x service men/ woman and their families but it will be a great day as always, I have booked 2 days off work this year

By *onegal DuoCouple
over a year ago

donegal

"its the same in scotland half dont even know when its st andrews day.. my town also had a big paddys day festival on saturday, half the people there couldnt even tell you where ireland was on the map "

They might not know where it is on the map but i bet they had a ball, and by the end of the day, they'll all swear that they have far out Irish relations

By *onegal DuoCouple
over a year ago

donegal

"Is it Montserrat Fabio

it is...... you win!!!!!

so as well as the irish celebrating just remember that there is a very very small island in the carribean that as having as much fun today...... "

I'm keepin this for the pub 2nite!!!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"its the same in scotland half dont even know when its st andrews day.. my town also had a big paddys day festival on saturday, half the people there couldnt even tell you where ireland was on the map "

big place next to you lot!!!!

over a year ago

"its the same in scotland half dont even know when its st andrews day.. my town also had a big paddys day festival on saturday, half the people there couldnt even tell you where ireland was on the map

big place next to you lot!!!! "

My lot??

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"its the same in scotland half dont even know when its st andrews day.. my town also had a big paddys day festival on saturday, half the people there couldnt even tell you where ireland was on the map

They might not know where it is on the map but i bet they had a ball, and by the end of the day, they'll all swear that they have far out Irish relations "

If they are really Scottish then they probably do, after all the Scots came from Ireland originally. But the reality is most people in Scotland are actually of Anglo-Saxon decent, not Celtic. Don't tell them though, it only upsets them.

By *layfull pairingCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

St Patrick v St George..... Patricks a bit handy with snakes.. George has a bloody great horse and a lance and slays dragons....... No contest really.... Paddy's going down in the third round....

over a year ago

There are like loads of pubs that celebrate St George's day around here

Plus I very much doubt that any sort of parade would cause concerns,those sort of remarks are just made to try and cause controversy

We celebrate both as we have Irish and English heritage and we can do so quite easily without each of us calling the other a racist "

I think it depends where you live too. If I lived in a little village down south I can imagine there might be St George's day stuff going on. In Newcastle, not so much, but no one really needs an excuse to get d*unk anyway.

I don't celebrate any of them because I have a bit of all of them in me and think of myself as British.

over a year ago

They might not know where it is on the map but i bet they had a ball, and by the end of the day, they'll all swear that they have far out Irish relations

If they are really Scottish then they probably do, after all the Scots came from Ireland originally. But the reality is most people in Scotland are actually of Anglo-Saxon decent, not Celtic. Don't tell them though, it only upsets them. "

Dosent upset me

over a year ago

Saint Patrick Vs Saint George

Only Samuel l Jackson has had as much success in getting rid of snakes

J

St George is a bullshiter, dragons don't exist, snakes do, I've seen one, not in Ireland though, they all got driven out

St George was Israeli or some where middle Eastern, however St Patrick was English

And if I could guarantee that there was going to be no far right dick heads and it would be a proper celebration of being English I would love to go to a St George's day event, along with my kids, but a small minority's attitude towards people of colour, ruins it for everyone, I live my country, I live my flag, but these un patriotic arseholes are turning it into something ugly, don't tell me you love England when you try to destroy her, and make her look like a fool before the whole world.

Sorry about the rant

By *atsnCorsetsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Saint Patrick was actually a Welshman. What we find funny is that ol' Saint Paddy is also the Patron Saint of Nigeria. We didn't see many people out there with their faces painted like the Nigerian flag though only the Irish one...

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

If they are really Scottish then they probably do, after all the Scots came from Ireland originally. But the reality is most people in Scotland are actually of Anglo-Saxon decent, not Celtic. Don't tell them though, it only upsets them.

Dosent upset me"

I was being a little bit tongue in cheek.

over a year ago

"Saint Patrick Vs Saint George

J

St George is a bullshiter, dragons don't exist, snakes do, I've seen one, not in Ireland though, they all got driven out

St George was Israeli or some where middle Eastern, however St Patrick was English

And if I could guarantee that there was going to be no far right dick heads and it would be a proper celebration of being English I would love to go to a St George's day event, along with my kids, but a small minority's attitude towards people of colour, ruins it for everyone, I live my country, I live my flag, but these un patriotic arseholes are turning it into something ugly, don't tell me you love England when you try to destroy her, and make her look like a fool before the whole world.

Sorry about the rant "

Wow and here's me thinking St George was Greek and St Patrick Welsh, but I will apologise if I'm wrong, as for trying to destroy our country you could be no further from the truth

over a year ago

If your going to have people shouting racist abuse you are going to be classed as racist it's common sense. Go out have fun make people see your having fun (have no hidden agenda) and like the Irish everyone will love you

over a year ago

"Saint Patrick Vs Saint George

J

Wasn't St Paddy Scottish?

Me and around 15 friends always book the 23rd and 24th off work and celebrate St George's day dressed up in Templar suits on a pub crawl...

Sorry about the rant

Wow and here's me thinking St George was Greek and St Patrick Welsh, but I will apologise if I'm wrong, as for trying to destroy our country you could be no further from the truth "

over a year ago

As far as I know, St Patrick was born in Scotland & St George ........ somewhere in far eastern Europe infact, isn't the country 'Georgia' connected?

But some of the comments are laughable, blaming governments & councils is a joke;

Irish people all over the world celebrate their national day whereas English people around the world simply couldn't be arsed.

Maybe that's also the same reason why it's so undercelebrated in England compared to St Patrick's Day?

over a year ago

st Patrick was born I Pembroke mid Wales , st George was Turkish.

Lol

I think its brilliant to celebrate your patron saints day. St Davids day I Wales is a fun day of song ,poetry and stories

So my English chums its ok to celebrate your Patron Saints day

over a year ago

"st Patrick was born I Pembroke mid Wales , st George was Turkish.

Lol

I think its brilliant to celebrate your patron saints day. St Davids day I Wales is a fun day of song ,poetry and stories

So my English chums its ok to celebrate your Patron Saints day "

I heard on the radio this morning that he was Scottish - but who cares, he was a Celt, that's for sure.

over a year ago

I'm still going out celebrating St George's day and always will were ever I will be

OAFAAF

Post new Message to Thread