Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Religion vs Darwin

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I'm all for Darwins theory of evolution.

I was at a wedding once and got into a heated discussion with some Christians - I was really surprised how much they disliked the fact of me not believing in the bible.

I also wish they gave children a more broader view in schools - instead of just teaching RE, I think they should also give mention to Darwin and have the children make up their own minds.

What do you think?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

utopia

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Charles Darwin was a Christian.

Reply privately

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

The Darwin theory does not contradict the bible.Darwin himself pointed this out.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Would people believe in God if they were raised on a desert island in complete isolation from civilisation? No-one to tell them about God = no God. Simple. God only exists through word-of-mouth.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Would people believe in God if they were raised on a desert island in complete isolation from civilisation? No-one to tell them about God = no God. Simple. God only exists through word-of-mouth."

Except for the first person to think of God and then told someone else.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Would people believe in God if they were raised on a desert island in complete isolation from civilisation? No-one to tell them about God = no God. Simple. God only exists through word-of-mouth.

Except for the first person to think of God and then told someone else. "

Exactly, word-of-mouth.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Would people believe in God if they were raised on a desert island in complete isolation from civilisation? No-one to tell them about God = no God. Simple. God only exists through word-of-mouth.

Exactly, word-of-mouth. "

You're missing the point. There had to be a first person. No one told him. Except God. Which proves His existence.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They teach Darwin as part of biology. They don't teach it in RE lessons as he's not a religion.

Reply privately

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Or perhaps he thought 'I know how I can make some money out of the other guy'

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly, word-of-mouth.

You're missing the point. There had to be a first person. No one told him. Except God. Which proves His existence. "

Unless the first person to think of God had eaten something he didn't know was poisonous, and was tripping out of his mind

Reply privately

over a year ago

My children's Catholic school teaches about Darwin and evolution.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly, word-of-mouth.

You're missing the point. There had to be a first person. No one told him. Except God. Which proves His existence.

Unless the first person to think of God had eaten something he didn't know was poisonous, and was tripping out of his mind "

More likely. Remember, people were a bit more loopy back in them days.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"I'm all for Darwins theory of evolution.

I was at a wedding once and got into a heated discussion with some Christians - I was really surprised how much they disliked the fact of me not believing in the bible."

As an atheist I become quite offended by the sneering and rude manner I'm treated by SOME religious people. These are the ones who insist on tolerance for their own beliefs.

I have a belief. I believe there is no god.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hello Brightonsteve,

"You're missing the point. There had to be a first person. No one told him. Except God. Which proves His existence."

That is incredible.

Alec

Reply privately

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

"They teach Darwin as part of biology. They don't teach it in RE lessons as he's not a religion. "

This

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They teach Darwin as part of biology. They don't teach it in RE lessons as he's not a religion.

This "

I was getting at the point that instead of telling children that this is how people came to be, I would prefer to state that it is one view, and another view is darwins theory of evolution.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Next time you offend a Christian just say "then forgive me"

Reply privately

over a year ago

If schools didn't teach Darwin... I'd be very fucking surprised.

A scientific theory is a well substantiated explanation of facts. The facts of evolution come from observational evidence of current processes, from imperfections in organisms recording historical common descent.

After so much data is collected and coordinated as in Darwin's theory, scientists then refer to it as factual as there's just so much evidence it would be bloody minded idiocy to think anything else!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Next time you offend a Christian just say "then forgive me" "

Lol, I now ALWAYS wear a pin badge with the Christian fish symbol and Darwin inside it!

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Hello Brightonsteve,

"You're missing the point. There had to be a first person. No one told him. Except God. Which proves His existence."

That is incredible.

Alec "

Ironic with me being a practicing Wiccan

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am a non believer and don't believe in god and I am not religious either, those who believe cant accept that we can live without a god

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If schools didn't teach Darwin... I'd be very fucking surprised.

A scientific theory is a well substantiated explanation of facts. The facts of evolution come from observational evidence of current processes, from imperfections in organisms recording historical common descent.

After so much data is collected and coordinated as in Darwin's theory, scientists then refer to it as factual as there's just so much evidence it would be bloody minded idiocy to think anything else!"

They may teach it in high schools, they certainly don't in primary.

Reply privately

over a year ago

West Midlands

"They teach Darwin as part of biology. They don't teach it in RE lessons as he's not a religion.

This

I was getting at the point that instead of telling children that this is how people came to be, I would prefer to state that it is one view, and another view is darwins theory of evolution."

Darwin himself lived in Malvern near me and brought his children up in Christian faith

I've visited his daughters grave many times

Just because you believe in one thing why should it automatically rule out the other

Reply privately

over a year ago

This

I was getting at the point that instead of telling children that this is how people came to be, I would prefer to state that it is one view, and another view is darwins theory of evolution.

Darwin himself lived in Malvern near me and brought his children up in Christian faith

Just because you believe in one thing why should it automatically rule out the other

"

I'm not saying it does - I have my beliefs and I never push my beliefs on the people I teach.

Instead I teach them all facts and let them make up their own minds.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

After so much data is collected and

coordinated as in Darwin's theory,

scientists then refer to it as factual as

there's just so much evidence it would

be bloody minded idiocy to think

anything else!"

Except there is a place in Portsmouth called 'genesis' which PROVES intelligent design and creationism through a series of progressively frantic displays and hysterical labels.

Reply privately

over a year ago

West Midlands

This

I'm not saying it does - I have my beliefs and I never push my beliefs on the people I teach.

Instead I teach them all facts and let them make up their own minds. "

I'm religious but don't believe in a god or any gods if I'm honest

I believe that "god" is people's consciousness

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I am a non believer and don't believe in god and I am not religious either, those who believe cant accept that we can live without a god "

Aren't you a sex god?!?!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

West Midlands

This

Instead I teach them all facts and let them make up their own minds.

I'm religious but don't believe in a god or any gods if I'm honest

I believe that "god" is people's consciousness"

Conscience!

Reply privately

over a year ago

After so much data is collected and coordinated as in Darwin's theory, scientists then refer to it as factual as there's just so much evidence it would be bloody minded idiocy to think anything else!

They may teach it in high schools, they certainly don't in primary."

That's because they don't teach biology in primary schools.

If any school taught that humans came about other than through evolution I would seriously campaign to have them removed as a school.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am a non believer and don't believe in god and I am not religious either, those who believe cant accept that we can live without a god

Aren't you a sex god?!?!!! "

Well yes I am that lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

After so much data is collected and

coordinated as in Darwin's theory,

scientists then refer to it as factual as

there's just so much evidence it would

be bloody minded idiocy to think

anything else!

Except there is a place in Portsmouth called 'genesis' which PROVES intelligent design and creationism through a series of progressively frantic displays and hysterical labels. "

Oh LAWD! (no pun intended). Has the planet gone mad?

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I am a non believer and don't believe in god and I am not religious either, those who believe cant accept that we can live without a god

Aren't you a sex god?!?!!! Well yes I am that lol "

A little Buddah.

Reply privately

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple
over a year ago

near cardiff

"Give me the child,and I'll give you the man"...the Jesuits I think...

Don't allow kids to be exposed to religion till their 18..i reckon there would be a remarkable drop of in faith

Teach evolution though cause its real

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Agnostic here

Reply privately

over a year ago

Aren't you a sex god?!?!!! Well yes I am that lol

A little Buddah. "

Yes like buddah

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/03/15 00:29:17]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly, word-of-mouth.

You're missing the point. There had to be a first person. No one told him. Except God. Which proves His existence. "

How does that prove his existence?

someone first thought of fairies and the gruffalo but that doesn't bloody prove they are bouncing about at the bottom of our garden!

Reply privately

over a year ago

We did get taught in RE that religion might have been made up to explain things that could not be explained. This was 25 years ago.

Darwin has a lot of logical ideas, that would be taught under other sciences mainly biology.

Reply privately

over a year ago

To go through life believing in nothing what ever happens to you must be a pretty lonely place.

There is a greater source out there of course but our little pea brains called it God and made up a story to tell it.

One day were all get to see it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly, word-of-mouth.

Unless the first person to think of God had eaten something he didn't know was poisonous, and was tripping out of his mind "

That's how science think we gained consciousness, because our ancestors were tripping on mushrooms.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I m here im reasonably healthy and I no my heritage so that's good enough for me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"To go through life believing in nothing what ever happens to you must be a pretty lonely place.

There is a greater source out there of course but our little pea brains called it God and made up a story to tell it.

One day were all get to see it. "

Why does there HAVE to be something? What is it about humans that nothing is ever enough for us? We've got this amazing world right here in front of our faces, but what do we do? "Oh there must be MORE! There must be something AFTER life!". And then what? I suppose if you have this magical afterlife, will that not be enough? Will you still search for answers beyond that too?

I know this sounds crazy, but maybe, just MAYBE, this is all there is to life. Stop romanticising beautiful simplicity when it's not necessary.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"To go through life believing in nothing what ever happens to you must be a pretty lonely place.

Why does there HAVE to be something? What is it about humans that nothing is ever enough for us? We've got this amazing world right here in front of our faces, but what do we do? "Oh there must be MORE! There must be something AFTER life!". And then what? I suppose if you have this magical afterlife, will that not be enough? Will you still search for answers beyond that too?

I know this sounds crazy, but maybe, just MAYBE, this is all there is to life. Stop romanticising beautiful simplicity when it's not necessary."

You think too much let go and start to believe maybe just maybe there is things/stuff that we have no idea how to comprehend or explain in our simplistic way.

Reply privately

By *icky999Man
over a year ago

warrington

Imagine your sat there telling little old ladies there going to heaven and robbing thier life savings telling them all about , angels floods and the world being 5000 years old and some fucker turns up with a dinosaur bone

Reply privately

over a year ago

I watched a program once, cant remember what it was though.

Basically volunteers from the audience were asked to do one of those wire/buzz things (where you have to get the loop to the other end without it touching and buzzing), they had to record the amount of times they 'buzzed'.

As each volunteer started, the studio guy with them got a fake call to pull him away, leaving the volunteer to carry on by themselves but expected to honestly record when theyd buzzed.

One half of the group werent told anything as they went into the room, but the other half were told to excuse the old tatty armchair in the room, it was for another show and it is meant to be haunted.

The half of the group that weren't told about the chair all lied about how many buzzes they got. The half that were told about the armchair all told the truth.

It was suggested that it is human nature to be more deceptive if we dont think anyone is watching, but we are more likely to be honest if we think someone is watching (even if the thing watching is a ghost). The idea that god created us and is watching over us all was just a clever invention way back when, created simply as a way to keep people well behaved.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I know this sounds crazy, but maybe, just MAYBE, this is all there is to life. Stop romanticising beautiful simplicity when it's not necessary.

You think too much let go and start to believe maybe just maybe there is things/stuff that we have no idea how to comprehend or explain in our simplistic way. "

Or... maybe there's just nothing. Ever thought of that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

You think too much let go and start to believe maybe just maybe there is things/stuff that we have no idea how to comprehend or explain in our simplistic way.

Or... maybe there's just nothing. Ever thought of that?"

Then that's the chance I take and that's what gives me a spark and not a sense of just going through the motions and waiting for the end.

That I would find just a void life of any substance.

My class is half full.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I watched a program once, cant remember what it was though.

Basically volunteers from the audience were asked to do one of those wire/buzz things (where you have to get the loop to the other end without it touching and buzzing), they had to record the amount of times they 'buzzed'.

As each volunteer started, the studio guy with them got a fake call to pull him away, leaving the volunteer to carry on by themselves but expected to honestly record when theyd buzzed.

One half of the group werent told anything as they went into the room, but the other half were told to excuse the old tatty armchair in the room, it was for another show and it is meant to be haunted.

The half of the group that weren't told about the chair all lied about how many buzzes they got. The half that were told about the armchair all told the truth.

It was suggested that it is human nature to be more deceptive if we dont think anyone is watching, but we are more likely to be honest if we think someone is watching (even if the thing watching is a ghost). The idea that god created us and is watching over us all was just a clever invention way back when, created simply as a way to keep people well behaved."

Agreed, religion in it's many guises is a tool for controlling the masses.

There is no doubt though that it serves a fulfilling purpose to many people, i'm just not one of them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i'm reading stargazers by chapman

athiests ridicule believers

But

Why believe in love

why believe in justice

Why believe in punishment

What is stopping me from becoming hitler?

Is prison really punishment?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Then that's the chance I take and that's what gives me a spark and not a sense of just going through the motions and waiting for the end.

My class is half full. "

Your glass can't be that half-full if you're constantly yearning for something more after life. I like to concentrate on the only life that matters - the one I'm living in right now. So if anything, I'm the one whose glass is half-full because I'm perfectly happy with life the way it is. I don't need some belief in an almighty higher power to keep me going. It is what it is. Just accept it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Evolution is just a process

It can survive on its own or be used by someone to get to somewhere in time

Evolution can be seen as like baking a cake

U know stephen fry he said God is evil but then it takes one to know one for when Mr fry was on thi Fridays in the naughties he made a little ditty, take an E. How many ppl has he unwittingly got addicted to drugs. Is thst not evil?

Before we discredit God, u have to account and define evil and the meaning of love when related to loved ones after they have died.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My class is half full.

Your glass can't be that half-full if you're constantly yearning for something more after life. I like to concentrate on the only life that matters - the one I'm living in right now. So if anything, I'm the one whose glass is half-full because I'm perfectly happy with life the way it is. I don't need some belief in an almighty higher power to keep me going. It is what it is. Just accept it."

Then you need to go and enlighten yourself because we both know your not 100% happy and tend to flicker with self doubt and depression.

I'm happy confident and up beat in my life I don't yearn for something because I'm not naïve enough to believe I have the answers to everything just a hunch and I go with it.

After all I have nothing to lose and everything to gain and what do you have.?

Just another 'miserable' week to plod through.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Would people believe in God if they were raised on a desert island in complete isolation from civilisation? No-one to tell them about God = no God. Simple. God only exists through word-of-mouth."

So why do Amazonian tribes believe that God is everywhere (so called animism) , who told them?

.......not so simple!

Reply privately

over a year ago

the main thing people forger about all gods is that they all dead...... end of. so get over it

as for the fancy tricks jesus was supposed to have done, he wasn't as good as Penn & Teller

Reply privately

over a year ago

This thread is very interesting, - it's not the stereotypical groups whom are actually the most pushy!!

Hmmmmmmm, there seems to be a lot of insecurity going around -

*eats popcorn in bed despite the potential crumbs

Reply privately

over a year ago

"the main thing people forger about all gods is that they all dead...... end of. so get over it

as for the fancy tricks jesus was supposed to have done, he wasn't as good as Penn & Teller"

But pen and teller are only as good as their minds let them

If jesus is real and the claims he made are real,his father created the world, he would blow those two Americans away.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"the main thing people forger about all gods is that they all dead...... end of. so get over it

as for the fancy tricks jesus was supposed to have done, he wasn't as good as Penn & Teller"

Like Darwin, are they really alive?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Darwin and religion are wrong.

Look to the stars!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Agreed, religion in it's many guises is a tool for controlling the masses.

There is no doubt though that it serves a fulfilling purpose to many people, i'm just not one of them."

I agree.

I like the idea of god in an imaginary friend kinda way though, I guess the faith without the religion.

The feeling that theres more to life and having faith in something bigger than yourself is a completely different kettle of fish to organised religion though.

In fact I think religion gives religion a bad name

Im not entirely sure what I believe. I think when we die thats it, you just cease to be. But I do think theres so much about life and the universe that we dont know, and space and the universe is so mind boggling, that there must be something more out there we either havent discovered, or we cant comprehend yet. Everyone's just a frequency

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Darwin and religion are wrong.

Look to the stars!!"

I don't have proof of anything, so I can hardly tell anyone that they're wrong.

Live & let live, & all that........

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

A bloke I went to school with had EC=God on his adidas bag, now I know he's a brilliant guitarist but c'mon really

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A bloke I went to school with had EC=God on his adidas bag, now I know he's a brilliant guitarist but c'mon really "

If it was GM, I'm already a devotee!

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Exactly, word-of-mouth.

You're missing the point. There had to be a first person. No one told him.

Except God. Which proves His

existence.

How does that prove his existence?

someone first thought of fairies and the

gruffalo but that doesn't bloody prove

they are bouncing about at the bottom

of our garden!"

Clarification of my beliefs were in a post a little further down.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I also wish they gave children a more broader view in schools - instead of just teaching RE, I think they should also give mention to Darwin and have the children make up their own minds.

What do you think?"

I think you must have had a very strange experience at school. I believe Darwin is on the curriculum. Evolution certainly is, it's studied thoroughly in Biology.

I'd imagine that an in depth study of Darwin and the resultant Social Darwinism would be rather advanced though for teenagers - it's part of our second year study at university.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This

I was getting at the point that instead of telling children that this is how people came to be, I would prefer to state that it is one view, and another view is darwins theory of evolution."

That's exactly the approach that the nun who taught my RE classes in Catholic school took. Just one religions view. Then we learnt about all the other religions views and were encouraged to consider how they were similar and different, and how different aspects of different religions might be good for our lives in different ways.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Schools generally teach both aspects, the Christian view and the Big Bang theory so students are given the information to form their own opinion.

I have a feeling that some humans would always have ended up worshipping something somewhere as we are so diverse in how our minds work.

Reply privately

By *hyandtwistedCouple
over a year ago

loughborough

I sit happy in the knowledge/belief that the world is round, it orbits the sun and a myriad of other facts that explain the world to me.

But that has taken hundreds of generations of human knowledge to figure out.

Take a child asking questions all day trying to suss the world and why things are, how long before the answer is "because"

I think religion (not faith) just swaps the word "because" with "god"

Reply privately

over a year ago

My class is half full.

Your glass can't be that half-full if you're constantly yearning for something more after life. I like to concentrate on the only life that matters - the one I'm living in right now. So if anything, I'm the one whose glass is half-full because I'm perfectly happy with life the way it is. I don't need some belief in an almighty higher power to keep me going. It is what it is. Just accept it.

Then you need to go and enlighten yourself because we both know your not 100% happy and tend to flicker with self doubt and depression.

I'm happy confident and up beat in my life I don't yearn for something because I'm not naïve enough to believe I have the answers to everything just a hunch and I go with it.

After all I have nothing to lose and everything to gain and what do you have.?

Just another 'miserable' week to plod through. "

What the hell? I need to 'enlighten myself'? I'm not happy? I flicker between depression and self-doubt? I'm sorry, are you my therapist? Do you know me? No you don't, so until you do, keep your opinions to yourself about my psychological welfare.

I do not 'plod along' through my week. But then again, silly me, if only I had the secret to eternal happiness (a 'hunch'), then I'd be all right.

Reply privately

over a year ago

there is no god after life,,you die n that's it.

So enjoy it while yer here,be nice n have fun

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was told about Darwin in school and even studied his books the Origin of species and the decent of man , all to this day just theory's hence "the theory of evolution"being the term, I believe since the piltstone man being a fake they are still looking for the missing link ?? , in regards to religion , the universe is infinite there for numbers become infinite , so the probability of a god is as likely there is as there isn't , and if there was and the theory of evolution was proved they could work in conciliation .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Each to their own.

People don't realise but there is a very relevant and nice passage in the religion I follow which goes:

"I do not worship that which you worship. Nor do you worship that which I worship. And I shall not worship that which you worship. Nor will you worship that which I worship. You have your religion and I have mine"

(Religion meaning belief).

Reply privately

over a year ago

"there is no god after life,,you die n that's it.

So enjoy it while yer here,be nice n have fun"

But have you died before , can you prove this to me ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

On that point...

A little girl asked her mother "How did the human race appear?" The mother answered "God made Adam and Eve and they had children, and so all was mankind made." Two days later the girl asked her father the same question.. The father answered, "Many years ago there were monkeys from which the human race evolved". The confused girl returned to her mother and said, "Mum, how is it possible that you told me the human race was created by God, and Dad said they developed from monkeys?" The mother answered, "Well, dear, it is very simple. I told you about my side of the family and your father told you about his..

Reply privately

over a year ago

But have you died before , can you prove this to me ?? "

God spelt backwards is dog,,,,wierd innit,WOOF WOOF!

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is no definitive, neither traditional religion or science conclusively have all the answers.

Science in my opinion has become a modern religion.

I am not arrogant enough to definitively state that there was no creative designer or that God does exist.

The truth is we do not know, anyone who states either is just pushing their personal belief.

Belief pushers exist on both sides of the argument, neither have the right to ridicule the other.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was told about Darwin in school and even studied his books the Origin of species and the decent of man , all to this day just theory's hence "the theory of evolution"being the term, I believe since the piltstone man being a fake they are still looking for the missing link ?? , in regards to religion , the universe is infinite there for numbers become infinite , so the probability of a god is as likely there is as there isn't , and if there was and the theory of evolution was proved they could work in conciliation ."

That's because your wrong, I know people don't like being wrong but you are.

Evolution is a fact not a theory, it's substantiated by so much evidence it's concluded that believing anything else would be stupid ..

You make up your theory's fine, but don't encourage others into witchcraft and nonsense.

Humankind is trying to evolve....

Reply privately

over a year ago

cant stand religion its childish nonsense ive no problem ridiculing it as it ridicules us

Reply privately

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

"

Belief pushers exist on both sides of the argument, neither have the right to ridicule the other. "

You think that my denial of God is a belief? It’s simply a non-belief and so I don’t need to give evidence for it or even advance any argument for it. All children are born atheist; it is only believers who argue for their belief.

I have the right to riducle anything I like. In the case of religion I will actively fight against it because I see the indoctrination of vulnerable children's minds as tantamount to child abuse.

Reply privately

By *hampagneAfterpartyCouple
over a year ago

So who told the first human about god?

God "exists" because the human brain is evolved enough to want/need reason. I.e. To ask 'why?'

A higher power is a simple answer to unanswerable questions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was at a wedding once and got into a heated discussion with some Christians - I was really surprised how much they disliked the fact of me not believing in the bible.

What do you think?"

They do teach Darwin and Science in school. However teaching the Christian faith, in a country who's laws and morals are based on that faith, might seem like a good idea for children to understand morals, laws and ethics.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was told about Darwin in school and even studied his books the Origin of species and the decent of man , all to this day just theory's hence "the theory of evolution"being the term, I believe since the piltstone man being a fake they are still looking for the missing link ?? , in regards to religion , the universe is infinite there for numbers become infinite , so the probability of a god is as likely there is as there isn't , and if there was and the theory of evolution was proved they could work in conciliation ..

Evolution is a fact not a theory, it's substantiated by so much evidence it's concluded that believing anything else would be stupid ..

You make up your theory's fine, but don't encourage others into witchcraft and nonsense.

Humankind is trying to evolve...."

Evolution has an incredible amount of physical evidence to back it up many would say overwhelming .....but it is still a theory.

You believe it to be a fact and that is your choice.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Witchcraft + nonsense =

Reply privately

over a year ago

What do you think?

They do teach Darwin and Science in school. However teaching the Christian faith, in a country who's laws and morals are based on that faith, might seem like a good idea for children to understand morals, laws and ethics."

lol do you really think this island is Christian????

Reply privately

over a year ago

So who told the first human about god?

God "exists" because the human brain is evolved enough to want/need reason. I.e. To ask 'why?'

A higher power is a simple answer to unanswerable questions. "

No civilisation=no god?

It would appear that every people who have gone before believed at some point in a higher power. Whether it be 'God' as we see it or animistry or the elementals, people have always seemed to have believed in higher beings.

Perhaps a need to think that there is something better, or higher and although many people descry the existence of any God, amazing how in their deepest and darkest moments of despair, people who have never believed pray or call out for help, particularly when death is near.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Belief pushers exist on both sides of the argument, neither have the right to ridicule the other.

You think that my denial of God is a belief? It’s simply a non-belief and so I don’t need to give evidence for it or even advance any argument for it. All children are born atheist; it is only believers who argue for their belief.

I have the right to riducle anything I like. In the case of religion I will actively fight against it because I see the indoctrination of vulnerable children's minds as tantamount to child abuse. "

Yes I do see your denial as a belief. Absolutely.

Your post implies a believer needs to give evidence or advance an argument, they don't.

Pushers are the ones who, in my opinion, should attempt to provide their reasoning.

You don't know if children are born atheist. You have chosen to believe that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

""Give me the child,and I'll give you the man"...the Jesuits I think...

Don't allow kids to be exposed to religion till their 18..i reckon there would be a remarkable drop of in faith

Teach evolution though cause its real

"

Give me the child....and I'll brainwash him. Because that's what it is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

One day were all get to see it. "

Sorry, but that almost certainly bollocks. Enjoy life now, your a long time dead.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You think too much let go and start to believe maybe just maybe there is things/stuff that we have no idea how to comprehend or explain in our simplistic way. "

You are the one ovetthinking things. Your hoping there is something after this. We just accept there isn't. That's hardly over thinking.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I have the right to riducle anything I like. In the case of religion I will actively fight against it because I see the indoctrination of vulnerable children's minds as tantamount to child abuse.

Your post implies a believer needs to give evidence or advance an argument, they don't.

Pushers are the ones who, in my opinion, should attempt to provide their reasoning.

You don't know if children are born atheist. You have chosen to believe that. "

Children become athiest If there are no parents because no one is guiding them to tell them they have a choice to do either right or wrong.thst is the responsibility of a parent

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was told about Darwin in school and even studied his books the Origin of species and the decent of man , all to this day just theory's hence "the theory of evolution"being the term, I believe since the piltstone man being a fake they are still looking for the missing link ?? , in regards to religion , the universe is infinite there for numbers become infinite , so the probability of a god is as likely there is as there isn't , and if there was and the theory of evolution was proved they could work in conciliation ..

Evolution has an incredible amount of physical evidence to back it up many would say overwhelming .....but it is still a theory.

You believe it to be a fact and that is your choice. "

It's not my choice, I leant that from scientists and biologists that state evolution is a FACT not a theory from repeatable scientific experiments, data, and examination.

What do you want me not to believe in next.... Electricity! It's really fairy dust, forget the science believe me it's fairy dust... Oh your just choosing to believe it's electrons being pushed through atoms you pedantic fool Dave...

Reply privately

over a year ago

God spelt backwards is dog,,,,wierd innit,WOOF WOOF!"

Dog is mans best friend, weid init

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is no reason why faith and science cannot co-exist in the matter of evolution.

Intelligent design can be thought of as the spark which ignited creation, evolution is that design playing out to its logical conclusion. One could consider the 'Big Bang' the original act of God.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Children become athiest If there are no parents because no one is guiding them to tell them they have a choice to do either right or wrong.thst is the responsibility of a parent"

I do not agree with you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It is not religeon thst is bad

It is the trait of the individual acting on religeon thst makes it bad. Curb the man

Look at salesman, they make their product look bad because the salesman acts pushy all the time

Reply privately

By *orthwest_cplCouple
over a year ago

Stretford

"

That's because they don't teach biology in primary schools.

If any school taught that humans came about other than through evolution I would seriously campaign to have them removed as a school."

Check out the new year 6 science curriculum - evolution and inheritance.

There were at least 2 Acadamies teaching creationism in the northeast. All English schools were finally banned from teaching it as a fact in 2014. It can still be taught in RE but not as a factual alternative to evolution.

Reply privately

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"They teach Darwin as part of biology. They don't teach it in RE lessons as he's not a religion. "

This

Evolution should no more be taught, except in passing, durring religeous eduction than creationism or inteligent design should be taught as a science.

I personaly consider myself a Christian, alway have and always will, but I have no problem in accepting the theary of evolution as the most likely way we came to be what we are.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Children become athiest If there are no parents because no one is guiding them to tell them they have a choice to do either right or wrong.thst is the responsibility of a parent

I do not agree with you."

So you believe children are born with an inate belief in a god which must be taught out of them, in order for them yo become atheist? Babies are born preprogrammed with theism?

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Most civilisations created their belief systems and 'gods' to explain things they lacked the knowledge to explain through science or rational explanation, to boost moral, maintain order through the threat of retribution for rule breaking, to create levels of society and power and to control the populous.

Hence the diversity in religions, beliefs and the number of 'gods' out there - they all started regionally.

Science and rational, logical thought don't take sides. Scientists will argue over theories and facts - but they won't persecute each other, wage wars, control people based on age, gender or race - and don't tend to use science as a justification to commit murder, ethnic cleansing, torture, abuse, imprisonment or stir hatred between people of differing scientific beliefs.

So give me science over religion any day.

If Funky would kindly lend me his time machine is gladly go back and destroy the religious texts of every religion at source - and maybe replace them with something a little more rational.

Like the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

All man has to go on are actions of a body

How does a man fell in love by observing.

We know a child is happy by jumping up and down

We observe ppl in a church they jump up and down happy. Some ppl mock this

U can not mock one and not the other

If we do how do we define happiness?

We need fsith to know we are in love

We need fsith to know the crops will produce fruit for us....

Reply privately

over a year ago

You believe it to be a fact and that is your choice. "

The word "believe" becomes the dominating factor here .

You "belive " your evidence of evolution to be fact , it is possible that we are just trying to make sence of the things we cannot truly comprehend , I would love you to share a link for SOLID evidence that actually not only supports evolution but proves it .

Reply privately

over a year ago

If their is no God, who punishes a person who has killed 1000 ppl. U have to catch him first.

Why does evil exist? Does evil exist, then why do ppl get disgusted with what ppl do?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Dog is mans best friend, weid init"

and they can lick their own balls,,,

Reply privately

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

"

Children become athiest If there are no parents because no one is guiding them to tell them they have a choice to do either right or wrong.thst is the responsibility of a parent"

No one becomes atheist; it is the defacto position at birth.

What on earth does right or wrong have to do with being an Atheist? You do not need a belief in God to live morally. Atheists only makeup 0.7% of the US prison poulation which is far lower than their population makeup.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is no reason why faith and science cannot co-exist in the matter of evolution.

Intelligent design can be thought of as the spark which ignited creation, evolution is that design playing out to its logical conclusion. One could consider the 'Big Bang' the original act of God.

"

This is actually fairly logical

If there was nothing in the beginning and we can prove the big bang happened because we can still see the effects of it in space, then this would mean that before the big bang there was nothing, so it is far more logical to assume something ignited nothing (god) rather then nothing igniting nothing to equal nothing ( made sense in my head )

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Most civilisations created their belief systems and 'gods' to explain things they lacked the knowledge to explain through science or rational explanation, to boost moral, maintain order through the threat of retribution for rule breaking, to create levels of society and power and to control the populous.

Hence the diversity in religions, beliefs and the number of 'gods' out there - they all started regionally.

Science and rational, logical thought don't take sides. Scientists will argue over theories and facts - but they won't persecute each other, wage wars, control people based on age, gender or race - and don't tend to use science as a justification to commit murder, ethnic cleansing, torture, abuse, imprisonment or stir hatred between people of differing scientific beliefs.

If Funky would kindly lend me his time machine is gladly go back and destroy the religious texts of every religion at source - and maybe replace them with something a little more rational.

A"

What universe are u living in?

Science is the worst field for taking sides. Scientists segue against each other.

Reply privately

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"I'm all for Darwin’s theory of evolution.

As an atheist I become quite offended by the sneering and rude manner I'm treated by SOME religious people. These are the ones who insist on tolerance for their own beliefs.

I have a belief. I believe there is no god. "

That's funny that because I often get offended at the sneering way some atheists treat me, almost as if they think only an idiot or simpleton could possibly believe in a god.

I guess self-righteous, intolerant people exist in every branch of belief (or non belief)

Reply privately

over a year ago

and they can lick their own balls,,, "

This proves evolution. We developed voices and language, so we can ask other to do it for us. Or offer to do it for them!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

What on earth does right or wrong have to do with being an Atheist? You do not need a belief in God to live morally. Atheists only makeup 0.7% of the US prison poulation which is far lower than their population makeup."

U have to believe what they say they believe

A Christian brings a child up by the rules of the bible

An athiest brings up a child by what they think a child needs

An athiest assumes their knowledge is better

By definition an athiest claims never to accept anything without evidence. By thst standard an athiest should never have children because they do not know if they would be able to cope. Look how many give children up

Reply privately

over a year ago

You believe it to be a fact and that is your choice. .

It's not my choice, I leant that from scientists and biologists that state evolution is a FACT not a theory from repeatable scientific experiments, data, and examination.

What do you want me not to believe in next.... Electricity! It's really fairy dust, forget the science believe me it's fairy dust... Oh your just choosing to believe it's electrons being pushed through atoms you pedantic fool Dave...

"

It is your choice. It is not a fact. It is a theory. Highly probable but still theory.

Most believe that Sir Isaac Newton 'discovered' gravity. His theory on gravity stood for 200 years and was believed by many to be indisputable fact.

Einstein proved Newtons theory to be wrong.

Those who 'knew' the 'facts' were educated that they're 'facts' were actually beliefs.

Evolution is an extremely highly probable theory.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I personally believe in evolution

Reply privately

over a year ago

This proves evolution. We developed voices and language, so we can ask other to do it for us. Or offer to do it for them!"

Can you prove we didn't always have a voice ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

This proves evolution. We developed voices and language, so we can ask other to do it for us. Or offer to do it for them!"

Language experts believe we all came from one mother tongue

Reply privately

By *etermaryCouple
over a year ago

croydon

absolutely right aspie..x

Reply privately

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"I am a non believer and don't believe in god and I am not religious either, those who believe cant accept that we can live without a god "

Yes I can

Reply privately

over a year ago

It is your choice. It is not a fact. It is a theory. Highly probable but still theory.

Most believe that Sir Isaac Newton 'discovered' gravity. His theory on gravity stood for 200 years and was believed by many to be indisputable fact.

Those who 'knew' the 'facts' were educated that they're 'facts' were actually beliefs.

Evolution is an extremely highly probable theory. "

Is a monkey alive like u or I? If there is nothing special about us there are no reasons not to kill.

Would your wife if she was an athiest get upset if someone said she looked like a monkey? If we are descended from apes this would explain it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes I can"

We can live without a God but we destroy ourselves in either viewpoint we take.

Are those who believe really believing?

Look at moses, he saw God, saw his miracles and yet stil disobeyed him, and thst is why he neve got rto the promised land.

Neither side wins

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

So you believe children are born with an inate belief in a god which must be taught out of them, in order for them yo become atheist? Babies are born preprogrammed with theism?"

No I don't believe that at all. Why would you presume to assume what I believe?

You are wrong in your assumption.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Evolution is an extremely highly probable theory. "

Evolution is a fact as shown by science.. A complete an utter fact that's repeatable and seen in the past present and future.

Darwin's theory of natural selection fits in perfectly with evolution, but not all evolution comes from natural selection, evolution is a fact... It's not a theory.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes I can

We can live without a God but we destroy ourselves in either viewpoint we take.

Are those who believe really believing?

Look at moses, he saw God, saw his miracles and yet stil disobeyed him, and thst is why he neve got rto the promised land.

Neither side wins"

Neither side wins because we are to heavily influenced by those around us to do what we shoyld. Seculism. Our need to satisfy those around us before we have decided they are friendly is what makes life so difficult.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Evolution is an extremely highly probable theory. .

Evolution is a fact as shown by science.. A complete an utter fact that's repeatable and seen in the past present and future.

Darwin's theory of natural selection fits in perfectly with evolution, but not all evolution comes from natural selection, evolution is a fact... It's not a theory."

Are u a scientist yourself? Have u understood each point in turn, verified each point thst has been made. Observed every bone from every spiecies. Evolution is like baking a cake in the oven, u take it out when it's ready. Ppl are ready to speak when they have evolved enough, not before.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

What on earth does right or wrong have to do with being an Atheist? You do not need a belief in God to live morally. Atheists only makeup 0.7% of the US prison poulation which is far lower than their population makeup."

No one knows if it is 'the defacto position at birth'. You certainly don't. It's your assumption.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Darwin's theory of natural selection fits in perfectly with evolution, but not all evolution comes from natural selection, evolution is a fact... It's not a theory.

Are u a scientist yourself? Have u understood each point in turn, verified each point thst has been made. Observed every bone from every spiecies. Evolution is like baking a cake in the oven, u take it out when it's ready. Ppl are ready to speak when they have evolved enough, not before.

"

No cleverer people than I did that and explained their findings and how they fitted with facts.

If the very best intelligent people on earth can provide enough evidence, scientific data and repeatable experiments to conclude something as a fact, that's good enough for me!, I happen to have read some of the science and seen enough lectures to conclude what they say looks right.

Now if you want to argue something different, that's great let's see your evidence and see if it fits with your theory!... I doubt it will but let's hear it.

And blackspice your also wrong about your prognosis on Eisenstein and newton, he never proved newton wrong about his facts, he just expanded on them! There's a big difference.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Darwin's theory of natural selection fits in perfectly with evolution, but not all evolution comes from natural selection, evolution is a fact... It's not a theory."

To be clear, I personally choose to believe that evolution is the most likely explanation, the evidence is for me overwhelming and i have studied it.

That said it is still theory. The explanation for most repeatable science is theory. Any trained scientist will tell you that.

You are simply wrong to state that you know it to be fact. You believe it to be fact.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Most civilisations created their belief systems and 'gods' to explain things they lacked the knowledge to explain through science or rational explanation, to boost moral, maintain order through the threat of retribution for rule breaking, to create levels of society and power and to control the populous.

A

Science is the worst field for taking sides. Scientists segue against each other."

I assume 'segue' should have been 'argue' ?

Yes. They do.

But I don't recall any groups of scientists waging war on each other over differing theories, committing genocide, forming factions within their own theory groups (aka religions) and deciding that because one disagrees with another they should be wiped off the planet?

More lives have been shed and ruined due to religion than any other cause in history.

The world would be a far better and more peaceful place without religion.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

Science is the worst field for taking sides. Scientists segue against each other.

Yes. They do.

But I don't recall any groups of scientists waging war on each other over differing theories, committing genocide, forming factions within their own theory groups (aka religions) and deciding that because one disagrees with another they should be wiped off the planet?

More lives have been shed and ruined due to religion than any other cause in history.

A"

Religeon has not caused wars etc. it is man. Man acts through his character to take things to the extremes

In fact love has killed more than God. Ban love

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

Yes. They do.

A

Religeon has not caused wars etc. it is man. Man acts through his character to take things to the extremes

In fact love has killed more than God. Ban love"

I think you'll find its man acting in the name of religion.

Without that religion there would have been less motivation to wage war on each other.

The two go hand in hand - to believe otherwise is naive.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

No cleverer people than I did that and explained their findings and how they fitted with facts.

If the very best intelligent people on earth can provide enough evidence, scientific data and repeatable experiments to conclude something as a fact, that's good enough for me!, I happen to have read some of the science and seen enough lectures to conclude what they say looks right.

Now if you want to argue something different, that's great let's see your evidence and see if it fits with your theory!... I doubt it will but let's hear it.

And blackspice your also wrong about your prognosis on Eisenstein and newton, he never proved newton wrong about his facts, he just expanded on them! There's a big difference."

Tell me do u have facts about what love is? Yet u choose to believe in its power. U have blind faith your partner feels what they are telling u. All science is written down by man. But man as u know is deceptive. A fact may not be a fact but a fact that a scientist has been forced to adhere to if they would like to stay employed. Read stargazers by chapman. All about scientists and science.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

Yes. They do.

A

Without that religion there would have been less motivation to wage war on each other.

A"

U are wrong. god has killed only those in the bible but if the world are athiests then they are doing the killing. Families break up because of jealousy. Related to love. Look at a court of law, u could categoriE each case by the Ten Commandments. Mans idea of love and his expectations of how others should feel has killed more than God. Genocide is a form of love. A maniac had an understanding of love thst he though ppl should adhere to. The same with hitler.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A"

I'm afraid this simply isn't true. Just a little research will give you the facts about how many wars have been waged in the name of religion and the death tolls of said wars. It isn't even close.

I've no idea who first came up with the saying that religion causes more war than any other reason but it seems to have caught on. But unfortunately it's a myth.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And blackspice your also wrong about your prognosis on Eisenstein and newton, he never proved newton wrong about his facts, he just expanded on them! There's a big difference.

Tell me do u have facts about what love is? Yet u choose to believe in its power. U have blind faith your partner feels what they are telling u. All science is written down by man. But man as u know is deceptive. A fact may not be a fact but a fact that a scientist has been forced to adhere to if they would like to stay employed. Read stargazers by chapman. All about scientists and science."

No science no theory just jibberish. And you want to persuade reasonable thinking people with that!

Reply privately

over a year ago

By that logic, no one told Stan Lee about Spider-Man, therefore Spider-Man must exist.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

So you believe children are born with an inate belief in a god which must be taught out of them, in order for them yo become atheist? Babies are born preprogrammed with theism?

You are wrong in your assumption. "

So what are you trying to say? They believe and don't believe at the same time? A child from a Hindu household in India does not believe in Santa. Until someone tells them he exists, they will never believe, so why is belief in god different? Until you are taught a belief system, you don't believe. The belief system is a man made construct, it doesn't get put into someones brain through any other method than teaching. If a child is kept clean off all theistic beliefs, they are not ( or very rarely) likely to become believers. Why else do you think religions are so rigourous and adept at catching them young? To save their souls? Or because they know. If they don't brainwash from birth, that their religion will soon wither? Religion ( in the west)is going the way of belief in magic. And rightly so.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

Yes. They do.

A

A"

Money has caused wars

Ban money. Can man not work for charity like a missionary

Education has manipulated ppl into thinking they are to good to ever work for free. Not all buisnesses can survive with paid employees. Man needs money because he is influenced by those around him to appear successful. The claim in the bible is jesus takes u as u are yet can make u strong by your faith. By using faith to achieve good works rather be motivated by money to do good works. For when the economy is dead ppl get depressed. But a man of fsith endures hardship and sufferering. Paul went to prison for his faith but in the letters he said it was my faith thst kept me strong

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

Yes. They do.

A

A

U are wrong. god has killed only those in the bible but if the world are athiests then they are doing the killing. Families break up because of jealousy. Related to love. Look at a court of law, u could categoriE each case by the Ten Commandments. Mans idea of love and his expectations of how others should feel has killed more than God. Genocide is a form of love. A maniac had an understanding of love thst he though ppl should adhere to. The same with hitler."

Which 'God' are you referring to?

As every religion has its own interpretation of who/what 'God' is.

And as only one religion believes in the Ten Commandments it's significance is irrelevant to many.

Religion, the nature of 'God', the relevant beliefs and 'rules' to live by are all individual to different belief systems and have been artificially created and interpreted by guess who - man!

Take religion and God out of the equation and there would be no cause to argue, kill and wage war in the name of one God/religion or another.

It wouldn't solve the worlds problems - people would still fight over land, money, natural resources etc - but not over artificially created belief systems used an excuse to divide people.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

Christians don't like anything they can't explain but expect everyone to believe in their unexplainable beliefs. They have 'faith' which they believe trumps evidence.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Christians don't like anything they can't explain but expect everyone to believe in their unexplainable beliefs. They have 'faith' which they believe trumps evidence. "

As do believers of any religion - not just Christians.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

And blackspice your also wrong about your prognosis on Eisenstein and newton, he never proved newton wrong about his facts, he just expanded on them! There's a big difference."

The theory proposed by Newton is that gravity is a force of attraction between masses.

Einstein proposed that gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time by masses.

Newton basically opted for pulling, Einstein for pushing to explain gravity.

It's a very different theory. If Einstein is correct, by definition Newtons theory cannot be fact.

Yet you still choose refer to them as fact.

You are wrong, they are theory.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

So what are you trying to say? They believe and don't believe at the same time? A child from a Hindu household in India does not believe in Santa. Until someone tells them he exists, they will never believe, so why is belief in god different? Until you are taught a belief system, you don't believe. The belief system is a man made construct, it doesn't get put into someones brain through any other method than teaching. If a child is kept clean off all theistic beliefs, they are not ( or very rarely) likely to become believers. Why else do you think religions are so rigourous and adept at catching them young? To save their souls? Or because they know. If they don't brainwash from birth, that their religion will soon wither? Religion ( in the west)is going the way of belief in magic. And rightly so."

I agree. But life has to define evil and punishment. Why do these things exist. Only a few religions deal with this.thsts when u can say, this is more reliable as everyone identifies with punishment and wrong. Man seeks truth he will find it. If God did create us he knows thst man interprets differently a text. It could be man that is wrong in thinking whst God wants is this particular branch of religeon. The 3 main faiths in the world all worship the same God....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Christians don't like anything they can't explain but expect everyone to believe in their unexplainable beliefs. They have 'faith' which they believe trumps evidence.

A"

Does fsith motivate a man in the gym to workout or is it thr knowledge of physics thst explain how it works?

Inteligence and facts can not make a man preach

Faith makes a person accomplish many things

Do u have evidence thst your partner loves you? Yes. By observation. But this same observation u mock when u witness it in a church.

Either they are emanating gods love for them or it is th placebo effect. But surely if the placebo effect is true then all u had to do was believe in it and have fsith before it was proven to work. Faith without evidence ensures it works

Scientists had to have fsith thst their ideas would give their predictions

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/03/15 11:27:27]

Reply privately

over a year ago

This thread is an excellent microcosm of why humanity is its own worst enemy. Further up this thread I postulated that it was possible for creationist and evolutionary thinking to co-exist within the same framework and that both theories could work in harmony.

Here we are umpteen posts later still arguing over the existence of God, if Spiderman exists and who was right about Gravity.

We are creatures who thrive conflict brought about by 30 thousand years of tribalism.

We are doomed to extinction on the Universe's zebra crossing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This thread is an excellent microcosm of why humanity is its own worst enemy. Further up this thread I postulated that it was possible for creationist and evolutionary thinking to co-exist within the same framework and that both theories could work in harmony.

Here we are umpteen posts later still arguing over the existence of God, if Spiderman exists and who was right about Gravity.

We are creatures who thrive conflict brought about by 30 thousand years of tribalism.

We are doomed to extinction on the Universe's zebra crossing."

I agree with u. I said evolution is just a process working on its own or by God. The question is, do u not have enough fsith to put ppl straight with that point or do u let ppl argue knowing whst u know. U could argue athiests have destroyed ppl to fight by destroying the idea of faith as something useful

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Christians don't like anything they can't explain but expect everyone to believe in their unexplainable beliefs. They have 'faith' which they believe trumps evidence.

A

Does fsith motivate a man in the gym to workout or is it thr knowledge of physics thst explain how it works?

Do u have evidence thst your partner loves you? Yes. By observation. But this same observation u mock when u witness it in a church.

Either they are emanating gods love for them or it is th placebo effect. But surely if the placebo effect is true then all u had to do was believe in it and have fsith before it was proven to work. Faith without evidence ensures it works

Scientists had to have fsith thst their ideas would give their predictions"

I have faith in many things - human nature, compassion, kindness and love between individuals and groups within society, the simple fact that we are born, live and die - and that the world will keep turning and the next day will follow this one.

None of these require a belief in a 'higher power', acknowledgement of rules and guidance based on the writings of people thousands of years ago, or that there is a need to follow any organised form of secular religion.

Life is perfectly capable of being meaningful, productive and happy without religion. People who don't believe in religion accomplish things every day.

Perhaps the need to believe in God and religion is as much born of insecurity, the need to belong and and to give people a set of 'rules and regulations' to live by as anything else?

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

Scientists had to have fsith thst their ideas would give their predictions"

That's just rank double think of the highest order and proves my point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It is not necessary to believe in god To be a good person. In a way, the traditional notion of God is outdated. One can be spiritual but not religious. It is not necessary to go to church and give money - for many , nature can be a church. Some of the best people in history did not believe in God, while some of the worst deeds were done in his name.

- Pope Francis.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

So what are you trying to say? They believe and don't believe at the same time? A child from a Hindu household in India does not believe in Santa. Until someone tells them he exists, they will never believe, so why is belief in god different? Until you are taught a belief system, you don't believe. The belief system is a man made construct, it doesn't get put into someones brain through any other method than teaching. If a child is kept clean off all theistic beliefs, they are not ( or very rarely) likely to become believers. Why else do you think religions are so rigourous and adept at catching them young? To save their souls? Or because they know. If they don't brainwash from birth, that their religion will soon wither? Religion ( in the west)is going the way of belief in magic. And rightly so."

Atheism is a belief. Theism is a belief. There is insufficient evidence to definitively prove either. If there was then threads like this would not exist.

No one knows what a baby knows at birth, you can assume what you like but I choose not to believe that they are preprogrammed theists or athiest.

The post I responded to suggests that in the absence of parents to educate 'right from wrong' children become athiest. The inference appeared to me to suggest that the wrong path is atheism and the right path is religion.

I disagree with that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

That's just rank double think of the highest order and proves my point. "

That's an opinion u hold but explain yourself

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

So what are you trying to say? They believe and don't believe at the same time? A child from a Hindu household in India does not believe in Santa. Until someone tells them he exists, they will never believe, so why is belief in god different? Until you are taught a belief system, you don't believe. The belief system is a man made construct, it doesn't get put into someones brain through any other method than teaching. If a child is kept clean off all theistic beliefs, they are not ( or very rarely) likely to become believers. Why else do you think religions are so rigourous and adept at catching them young? To save their souls? Or because they know. If they don't brainwash from birth, that their religion will soon wither? Religion ( in the west)is going the way of belief in magic. And rightly so.

Atheism is a belief. Theism is a belief. There is insufficient evidence to definitively prove either. If there was then threads like this would not exist.

No one knows what a baby knows at birth, you can assume what you like but I choose not to believe that they are preprogrammed theists or athiest.

The post I responded to suggests that in the absence of parents to educate 'right from wrong' children become athiest. The inference appeared to me to suggest that the wrong path is atheism and the right path is religion.

I disagree with that."

Evidence will prove nothing. U have to accept evidence. Tethr nhs has evidence thst alcohol can hurt a body's internal organs. But a person chooses to ignore this evidence. All u have is fsith to do the right thing and sometimes u doubt yourself

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

I agree. But life has to define evil and punishment. Why do these things exist. Only a few religions deal with this.thsts when u can say, this is more reliable as everyone identifies with punishment and wrong. Man seeks truth he will find it. If God did create us he knows thst man interprets differently a text. It could be man that is wrong in thinking whst God wants is this particular branch of religeon. The 3 main faiths in the world all worship the same God...."

3 main faiths? So where does Hinduism come in this league?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

I disagree with that."

Would u say u are living in an atheistic world. It is pretty vile. When u had order like in the army, chaos is put aside, only a few cause problems..,

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

I disagree with that."

You got that completely the wrong way round then. The natural path is atheism in this instance, that is all the poster meant. They never mentioned right or wrong in terms of morality.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This proves evolution. We developed voices and language, so we can ask other to do it for us. Or offer to do it for them!

Language experts believe we all came from one mother tongue"

Who told them that ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

That's an opinion u hold but explain yourself"

It's called freedom of opinion and I don't have to explain it to anyone since it's self explanatory.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

It's called freedom of opinion and I don't have to explain it to anyone since it's self explanatory. "

In an exam u do not pass u less u give reasoning. Do u have any? How can u convince me to change if u require me to trust u on fsith. Kinda ironic

Reply privately

over a year ago

Language experts believe we all came from one mother tongue

Who told them that ?? "

Linguist experts

Reply privately

over a year ago

Question if evolution is fact how come sharks are still the same as they was millions of years ago , and how come crocodiles are also still the same did they forget to evolve ?? Where are the fish people fossils ? Where are the ape man fossils ? Why can we find dinosaurs but not the missing links ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This thread is an excellent microcosm of why humanity is its own worst enemy. Further up this thread I postulated that it was possible for creationist and evolutionary thinking to co-exist within the same framework and that both theories could work in harmony.

We are doomed to extinction on the Universe's zebra crossing."

I think both of your posts show wisdom but I am more optimistic than you.

Co existence of multiple beliefs is in my opinion the only longterm answer, where we differ is that I choose to believe humankind is capable of reaching that place.

A start in that direction is respect. Those who try to impose their 'facts' dogmatically show too little.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

I disagree with that.

Would u say u are living in an atheistic world. It is pretty vile. When u had order like in the army, chaos is put aside, only a few cause problems..,"

God is like the conductor of an orchestra. Each person has a view but he listens to who is in charge

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

It's called freedom of opinion and I don't have to explain it to anyone since it's self explanatory.

In an exam u do not pass u less u give reasoning. Do u have any? How can u convince me to change if u require me to trust u on fsith. Kinda ironic"

Subjective can you convince him he is wrong ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

In an exam u do not pass u less u give reasoning. Do u have any? How can u convince me to change if u require me to trust u on fsith. Kinda ironic"

Unlike you I don't expect to change your view. I was unaware this was an exam. The OP asked for opinions. I don't care what you believe, but you think you can question my beliefs? Now that's irony.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Would u say u are living in an atheistic world. It is pretty vile. When u had order like in the army, chaos is put aside, only a few cause problems..,"

The majority of the world is theist by a large margin. I don't feel it's accurate to describe us as living in an atheist world.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

In an exam u do not pass u less u give reasoning. Do u have any? How can u convince me to change if u require me to trust u on fsith. Kinda ironic

Subjective can you convince him he is wrong ?? "

He does not believe what he thinks for he would be able to say anything if it is watertight in thought...God alliwed moses to challenge him for he new moses could never win. Man in authority hates being questioned because he knows his powers could be taken away from him. I find this rather amusing. Did a manager who complains of being questioned not question his own parents attitudes about parenting?did he then not disrespect his own parents by not allowing it for the employees? I know some children left for other reasons. I am talking about challenging an order given and u did not agree with it. Hence the argument with the parent

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Would u say u are living in an atheistic world. It is pretty vile. When u had order like in the army, chaos is put aside, only a few cause problems..,

The majority of the world is theist by a large margin. I don't feel it's accurate to describe us as living in an atheist world. "

If no one is certain what ppl are then how can inteligent men say that one side is bad?or having a negative impact.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Question if evolution is fact how come sharks are still the same as they was millions of years ago , and how come crocodiles are also still the same did they forget to evolve ?? Where are the fish people fossils ? Where are the ape man fossils ? Why can we find dinosaurs but not the missing links ?? "

Crocs and sharks are suited to their environment and at the top of their food chain. They don't need to evolve. Fish people fossils??? Whoever postulated those? Ape man fossils? Try natural history museums, they're full of them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

He does not believe what he thinks for he would be able to say anything if it is watertight in thought...God alliwed moses to challenge him for he new moses could never win. Man in authority hates being questioned because he knows his powers could be taken away from him. I find this rather amusing. Did a manager who complains of being questioned not question his own parents attitudes about parenting?did he then not disrespect his own parents by not allowing it for the employees? I know some children left for other reasons. I am talking about challenging an order given and u did not agree with it. Hence the argument with the parent"

Give me a single scrap of evidence Moses existed. Just one...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The theory proposed by Newton is that gravity is a force of attraction between masses.

Einstein proposed that gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time by masses.

It's a very different theory. If Einstein is correct, by definition Newtons theory cannot be fact.

You are wrong, they are theory."

.No they were both right newton was right from his observational stand point at the time.

In Physics a "theory" is a mathematical model based on various assumptions and valid for a limited range of physical conditions. Newton's laws are a mathematical model that is limited to non-relativistic speeds and low gravitational fields, and within those limits it is exceedingly accurate. There is no sense in which Newton was proved wrong by Einstein. What relativity did is expand the range of physical conditions over which the theory applied. Special relativity extended the range to include high speeds, and general relativity extended it again to include high gravitational fields. Even GR is not applicable everywhere because it fails at singularities like the centre of black holes. We expect that some future theory (string theory?) will extend GR to describe places that are singular in GR.

We count things as fact at the current time limited to our knowledge, we may or may not find things in the future but this aside we count things like Darwin's theory of evolution as fact where his theory of natural selection fits in with the observable facts of evolution!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I do not agree with you.

I disagree with that.

You got that completely the wrong way round then. The natural path is atheism in this instance, that is all the poster meant. They never mentioned right or wrong in terms of morality."

You are assuming that the natural path is atheism. You do not know this to be fact.

What terms did they mention right or wrong in?

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"Children become athiest If there are no parents because no one is guiding them to tell them they have a choice to do either right or wrong."

Oddly enough, I know plenty of atheists who are very aware of the difference between right and wrong and choose to do right with no need for religion to tell them that.

Perhaps anyone who needs religion to guide them and support them is just weaker than someone who does not and anyone who needs religion to tell them right from wrong is less bright, less socially aware and less good than someone who can work it out for themselves and apply it without religion telling them to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A

I'm afraid this simply isn't true. Just a little research will give you the facts about how many wars have been waged in the name of religion and the death tolls of said wars. It isn't even close.

I've no idea who first came up with the saying that religion causes more war than any other reason but it seems to have caught on. But unfortunately it's a myth. "

May be worth noting that between them, the 1st and 2nd World Wars, the death toll is SIRO 80-95 million people alone. Neither of these wars we're caused by religion and between them killed 4-5% of the entire worlds population around that time. That is a sparse figure when you consider how sparsely populated the world was in the preceding two millennia.

The figures may just back up the claim that it is not religion that has caused more deaths in war than anything else. I think mans greed and stupidity wins that accolade.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Children become athiest If there are no parents because no one is guiding them to tell them they have a choice to do either right or wrong.

Oddly enough, I know plenty of atheists who are very aware of the difference between right and wrong and choose to do right with no need for religion to tell them that.

Perhaps anyone who needs religion to guide them and support them is just weaker than someone who does not and anyone who needs religion to tell them right from wrong is less bright, less socially aware and less good than someone who can work it out for themselves and apply it without religion telling them to."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Question if evolution is fact how come sharks are still the same as they was millions of years ago , and how come crocodiles are also still the same did they forget to evolve ?? Where are the fish people fossils ? Where are the ape man fossils ? Why can we find dinosaurs but not the missing links ?? "

Read some friggin science journals for crying out loud.

They found lots and lots of human relatives, the evolution didn't stop.

It's still observable from humans only 2000 years ago to today! Very small changes occur over small times due to varying factors.

Anyone that denies evolution is either stupid or ignorant.

You can choose which camp you want to fall into

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Children become athiest If there are no parents because no one is guiding them to tell them they have a choice to do either right or wrong.

Perhaps anyone who needs religion to guide them and support them is just weaker than someone who does not and anyone who needs religion to tell them right from wrong is less bright, less socially aware and less good than someone who can work it out for themselves and apply it without religion telling them to."

The point I made earlier.

But I didn't get a response.

Maybe you will.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

He does not believe what he thinks for he would be able to say anything if it is watertight in thought...God alliwed moses to challenge him for he new moses could never win. Man in authority hates being questioned because he knows his powers could be taken away from him. I find this rather amusing. Did a manager who complains of being questioned not question his own parents attitudes about parenting?did he then not disrespect his own parents by not allowing it for the employees? I know some children left for other reasons. I am talking about challenging an order given and u did not agree with it. Hence the argument with the parent

Give me a single scrap of evidence Moses existed. Just one..."

I never forced u to say he existed. Since I have aspergers I seek out reason and logic. when u watch a film u ask yourself is it plausible?same with the bible. What I said about moses and God, I was asking u to agree in the logic and cleverness of how it was set out. Put aside if God is real for a moment, ask yourself is it right to allow someone to challenge u, for u could be wrong in what u want for the group of ppl u are in charge with?athiests say thst God is cruel, this episode appears to challenge thst. Given what we know of leaders and our complaints about how they act. Was God right for doing what he did with moses?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A

I've no idea who first came up with the saying that religion causes more war than any other reason but it seems to have caught on. But unfortunately it's a myth.

May be worth noting that between them, the 1st and 2nd World Wars, the death toll is SIRO 80-95 million people alone. Neither of these wars we're caused by religion and between them killed 4-5% of the entire worlds population around that time. That is a sparse figure when you consider how sparsely populated the world was in the preceding two millennia.

The figures may just back up the claim that it is not religion that has caused more deaths in war than anything else. I think mans greed and stupidity wins that accolade. "

"That is a HUGE figure when you consider how sparsely....."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Question if evolution is fact how come sharks are still the same as they was millions of years ago , and how come crocodiles are also still the same did they forget to evolve ?? Where are the fish people fossils ? Where are the ape man fossils ? Why can we find dinosaurs but not the missing links ??

Crocs and sharks are suited to their environment and at the top of their food chain. They don't need to evolve. Fish people fossils??? Whoever postulated those? Ape man fossils? Try natural history museums, they're full of them."

I've be I saw Neanderthal man and early man but no ape man , apes are stronger then men , so why would we evolve to get weaker ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some interesting views on the thread.

Personally, as someone brought up in Catholic community, I have become a humanist and sometime agnostic. I absolutely subscribe to the 'facts' of evolution but I look forward to the day when science can explain how life actually began. But even this wouldn't prove there is no superhuman intelligence somewhere out there in the universe (or multiple universes). We'll still wonder what enabled this to happen, and why. The argument won't go away (short of a god turning up to settle it once and for all).

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins is a good read on this subject, albeit from a humanist/atheist standpoint.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A

Give me a single scrap of evidence Moses existed. Just one...

I never forced u to say he existed. Since I have aspergers I seek out reason and logic. when u watch a film u ask yourself is it plausible?same with the bible. What I said about moses and God, I was asking u to agree in the logic and cleverness of how it was set out. Put aside if God is real for a moment, ask yourself is it right to allow someone to challenge u, for u could be wrong in what u want for the group of ppl u are in charge with?athiests say thst God is cruel, this episode appears to challenge thst. Given what we know of leaders and our complaints about how they act. Was God right for doing what he did with moses?"

Before a doctor can diagnose he has to go through a system of conditions

If a person is sufferering from a then

If a person has only a then

Diagnose has such and such

Likewise with deciding if God is real.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

A

The figures may just back up the claim that it is not religion that has caused more deaths in war than anything else. I think mans greed and stupidity wins that accolade. "

Among the estimated 45-60 million people killed during WW2 were 6 million Jews murdered in concentration camps.

Are you telling me religion had nothing to do with their fate?

A

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Perhaps anyone who needs religion to guide them and support them is just weaker than someone who does not and anyone who needs religion to tell them right from wrong is less bright, less socially aware and less good than someone who can work it out for themselves and apply it without religion telling them to.

The point I made earlier.

But I didn't get a response.

Maybe you will.

A"

I didn't read the entire thread.

I doubt I'll get any sort of sensible reply one way or the other.

Personally I think it was my parents' responsibility to teach me both sides of the debate and leave me to make up my own mind rather than force one or the other onto me until I'm so brainwashed I can't see any other options.

My parents did well in that respect.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Your moral and ethical code of what is right and wrong comes, like it or not, from religious teachings. Christianity, actually, although the roots of Christianity can be found in older faiths too. Go to the plains of Afghanistan or a place of similar ilk and you may find that laws and ethics you hold dear are not so there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

You are wrong, they are theory..No they were both right newton was right from his observational stand point at the time.

In Physics a "theory" is a mathematical model based on various assumptions and valid for a limited range of physical conditions. Newton's laws are a mathematical model that is limited to non-relativistic speeds and low gravitational fields, and within those limits it is exceedingly accurate. There is no sense in which Newton was proved wrong by Einstein. What relativity did is expand the range of physical conditions over which the theory applied. Special relativity extended the range to include high speeds, and general relativity extended it again to include high gravitational fields. Even GR is not applicable everywhere because it fails at singularities like the centre of black holes. We expect that some future theory (string theory?) will extend GR to describe places that are singular in GR.

We count things as fact at the current time limited to our knowledge, we may or may not find things in the future but this aside we count things like Darwin's theory of evolution as fact where his theory of natural selection fits in with the observable facts of evolution!"

We can go round in circles. You are wrong. Theory is not fact or it would not be called theory.

I enjoy study in string theory and m theory, those who know me would consider me to be more scientific than most.

That said I'm not arrogant enough to categorically state scientific theory is all fact. Much of it is highly probable, but it definitely is not definitive fact.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Oh, and how can atheists say God is cruel when atheists don't believe in God?

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

" Your moral and ethical code of what is right and wrong comes, like it or not, from religious teachings."

I do not require religion to tell me not to kill people, for example.

You suggest that without religion we'd all be savages. Sorry, I disagree.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A

Religion sealing the fate of the Jews has nothing to do with why the war started. The 'Jewish Problem' was a by-product of what 'Germany' felt needed to be done.

Religion did not cause the war to occur.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You know that killing is wrong because 2,000 years of teachings have taught that. If you lived in a society where for the past 2,000 years killing was accepted or encouraged, it's fair to say that your social engineering would deem killing acceptable.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You know that killing is wrong because 2,000 years of teachings have taught that. If you lived in a society where for the past 2,000 years killing was accepted or encouraged, it's fair to say that your social engineering would deem killing acceptable.

And in fact, it was acceptable upto a point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/03/15 12:35:06]

Reply privately

over a year ago

You need to appreciate that whatever your personal views on religion itself, 2000 years of engineering brought about by the success of a religion(Christianity in this case) has entirely shaped the fundamental rules of the society you live in ie. Thou shalt not kill/steal. Or even covet your neighbours ass!!

Reply privately