Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Place to reflect on Mother's Day

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This may not work, but thought I'd try it.

Mothers Day is often a bittersweet day or difficult day for many people. That's for any number of reasons.

I am a Mum, but I've lost my Mum so it's a mixture of emotions today. I'm lucky I know , as I'll be spoilt today. Will miss taking the flowers and box of Milk Tray though to my Mum (she liked the fact I got her the same every year) and taking her out to lunch with us.

So I'm sending hugs to those for whom it's a difficult day. Xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I have mixed emotions too.

My mother has dementia and often thinks I am her mother, grandmother or a social worker. It's difficult visiting her at times and I'm not sure I will go today as it will be after 6pm when I get back to London. She doesn't have a clue in the evenings.

I had one baby who died. It's not enough to qualify as a mother. However, for many years one of my mother's friends who was a midwife at the hospital my son was born at, would collect the posy of flowers at church for me and make sure I had the Mothering Sunday gift. It was such a kindness and acknowledgement that I had had a child.

By *riggsyMan
over a year ago

rugby

I will be going to see my mum's grave today and it will be hard. I don't agree about saying you weren't a mum as only had a baby. It doesn't matter that you were only a mum for a short time you were still a mum and i an so sorry to hear you had such a tragic loss xx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have my mum, and a beautiful little girl, but lost my son, so is a bittersweet day. Can be abit of a struggle, but I try to focus on what I have got now, my son will never be forgotten, and I love him dearly, but I try not to let the loss of him impact on my daughters life.x

By *riggsyMan
over a year ago

rugby

"This may not work, but thought I'd try it.

Mothers Day is often a bittersweet day or difficult day for many people. That's for any number of reasons.

I am a Mum, but I've lost my Mum so it's a mixture of emotions today. I'm lucky I know , as I'll be spoilt today. Will miss taking the flowers and box of Milk Tray though to my Mum (she liked the fact I got her the same every year) and taking her out to lunch with us.

So I'm sending hugs to those for whom it's a difficult day. Xx"

sending you big hugs today young lady xx

over a year ago

"I have mixed emotions too.

My mother has dementia and often thinks I am her mother, grandmother or a social worker. It's difficult visiting her at times and I'm not sure I will go today as it will be after 6pm when I get back to London. She doesn't have a clue in the evenings.

I had one baby who died. It's not enough to qualify as a mother. However, for many years one of my mother's friends who was a midwife at the hospital my son was born at, would collect the posy of flowers at church for me and make sure I had the Mothering Sunday gift. It was such a kindness and acknowledgement that I had had a child.

"

of course it qualifies - im not going to write what i was going to cos this made me gulp xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

over a year ago

I too have mixed emotions today. Lost my mum a few years ago.

Had some lovely gifts and a whole lot of love from my beautiful kids but miss not being able to do the same for my mum. Xx

By *ickawitchCouple
over a year ago

Away with the fairies (Liverpool to you)

It's going to be a diffucult day in my world today. This is likely to be my mums last Mother's Day. She has terminal cancer and they are using chemo as palliative care but it doesn't look like it will work much longer. It's a bittersweet day, thankful she is here but scared of the future.

I am crying now but know I am going to be all bright and breezy later on pretending that the world is a okay place....,but inside knowing everything is wrong. I feel for all you lovely fab people with loved ones that have passed but I hope your day is filled with lovely memories of happy times

over a year ago

That's a lovely post Iona, thank you.

My 1st mothers day without my mum so i've been dreading it

It's been a challenge to enter the spirit of the occasion for my daughters sake but I'll have a few tears & pick myself up.

xx

By *lirtyjjWoman
over a year ago

Meath

I lost my mum a year ago and I think of her everyday. Today is Dragons day in our house, a unique celebration of a unique woman. Here's hoping my 2 hold me in as high esteem

By *riggsyMan
over a year ago

rugby

It was a lovely post and it's hard when you lose your mum. But the key is to think of the fun and happy times you had with them and not the sadness you feel x

By *ickawitchCouple
over a year ago

"

A mum is a mum no matter for how long. Happy Mother's Day to you xxx

over a year ago

"That's a lovely post Iona, thank you.

My 1st mothers day without my mum so i've been dreading it

It's been a challenge to enter the spirit of the occasion for my daughters sake but I'll have a few tears & pick myself up.

xx

Sending ((hugs)).

"

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

of course it qualifies - im not going to write what i was going to cos this made me gulp xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Write away.

I'm just a bit emo today but I'll get over it and enjoy seeing children making a fuss of their mothers for a nanosecond.

I'll also be doing something for SANDS today in recognition of all the other mothers who don't get to see their babies grow and make them breakfast today.

Motherhood is a gift and it's one that, done right, gives and enhances our world.

over a year ago

I feel cheated having lost my mum 3 years ago at only 65. It's a tough day for me personally, i will pop to see her with some flowers and even have a natter to her. I find the hardest part seeing everyone's facebook status that are still lucky enough to have their mothers.

over a year ago

Mr here , I've wished my mum a happy Mother's Day while driving to work . She left us about seven years ago but she is still with us in our heart and memories . Today is a celebration for mums everywhere , in heaven or on earth so enjoy the day as time is precious xxxx

over a year ago

sorry to be on a different side of the fence but im sure im not alone - my mum and i havent spoken for over 30 years and never really got on /cared from when i was a very very young age - just the way it is - me and my kids on the other hand are very close xxxx

over a year ago

"sorry to be on a different side of the fence but im sure im not alone - my mum and i havent spoken for over 30 years and never really got on /cared from when i was a very very young age - just the way it is - me and my kids on the other hand are very close xxxx"

Hope you have a good day with your kids hun

over a year ago

of course it qualifies - im not going to write what i was going to cos this made me gulp xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Write away.

I'm just a bit emo today but I'll get over it and enjoy seeing children making a fuss of their mothers for a nanosecond.

I'll also be doing something for SANDS today in recognition of all the other mothers who don't get to see their babies grow and make them breakfast today.

Motherhood is a gift and it's one that, done right, gives and enhances our world.

"

xxxxx

over a year ago

"sorry to be on a different side of the fence but im sure im not alone - my mum and i havent spoken for over 30 years and never really got on /cared from when i was a very very young age - just the way it is - me and my kids on the other hand are very close xxxx

Hope you have a good day with your kids hun "

i will - well all grown up - daughter is here for the weekend and son lives abroad - im not sad about my mum at all it is what it is - we dont choose family

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/03/15 08:58:58]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/03/15 08:59:58]

By *rishman75Man
over a year ago

Chessington/epsom

I lost my mother last week at the age of 61 but I'm emotional today and trying to keep up a brave face .

over a year ago

"I lost my mother last week at the age of 61 but I'm emotional today and trying to keep up a brave face . "

Good luck buddy keep strong

By *ickawitchCouple
over a year ago

"I lost my mother last week at the age of 61 but I'm emotional today and trying to keep up a brave face . "

(Big hugs) I am sorry for your loss xxx

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"sorry to be on a different side of the fence but im sure im not alone - my mum and i havent spoken for over 30 years and never really got on /cared from when i was a very very young age - just the way it is - me and my kids on the other hand are very close xxxx"

I understand that. It doesn't make the day of celebration for mothering any easier.

Enjoy your children and know your mother's failures have helped make you a great mother to your children.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

There's no need for a brave face. I'm sorry for your loss.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

My mother died 13 years ago. Didn't send her mothers day card when she was alive as I didn't like her. I remember feeling sad out with a friend buying her mum a card, wishing my mother was one I wanted to send a card to.

Received a card in the post from my daughter and son-in-law, the other two will take me to lunch and I'll remember my son, who would have been 25 this year.

Thing is my girls show me they love me all the time: we have a good relationship. They'll fuss, I'll accept graciously, but it's not necessary.

By *ardbellyCouple
over a year ago

Alicante

Nothing to say you could share those things with your daughter in memory of your mum ? Make it a regular thing maybe ?

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"My mother died 13 years ago. Didn't send her mothers day card when she was alive as I didn't like her. I remember feeling sad out with a friend buying her mum a card, wishing my mother was one I wanted to send a card to.

Received a card in the post from my daughter and son-in-law, the other two will take me to lunch and I'll remember my son, who would have been 25 this year.

Thing is my girls show me they love me all the time: we have a good relationship. They'll fuss, I'll accept graciously, but it's not necessary."

I should add: it's not necessary for me, making a fuss.

over a year ago

I lost my mum to a car accident in 1977, I was 11 years old, my sister's were 13 and 15.

Thankfully I have only happy memories of her.

I think my biggest sadness is that she never got to meet any of her grandchildren and that my father never really got over the loss of his solemate.

Big hugs to everyone who has lost there mum the stories on here are humbling xx

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Let your emotions come out as it's still very raw for you. Letting them out can be cathartic. My Mum was the same age as yours when we lost her and I still miss her every day. Time does heal, but you'll always miss her. She will always be with you in your heart and memories. She's still watching over you. Xx

Thank you to the other posters for sharing. Some posts have made me cry. Xx

over a year ago

So sorry for your loss. Xx

By *ardbellyCouple
over a year ago

Alicante

The stories are all humbling ..and makes me wonder why we all get so nasty at times on here ?

Regardless we hope you all enjoy the day..love n peace to you all

over a year ago

Thank you for this post.. I'm in the same boat as the original poster and it would have been my mums birthday on Friday... Mr has been great at keeping me distracted and supported.

X

over a year ago

What a lovely lot we are when times are tough people off fab pull together and send there support and wishes . This is a touching thread but shows there are still nice people out there when times are hard . Have a wonderful day to everyone xxx

By *ittle Pocket PerveWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

My thoughts of hugs and love go out to all of you, on this Mothering Sunday.

over a year ago

Having read this thread I feel for those who have lost there mothers and for those who have not or become estranged .We never get to choose our parents and if your lucky enough they will be the caring ,nurturing and loving people we all deserve .So many have written more eloquent posts but lastly I'd add this

The bond that links your true family

is not one of blood ,but of respect

and joy in each other's life,

Rarely do members of one family

grow up under the same roof

Xx

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I lost my mum 6 years ago this month and dont have any children so its not an easy day.Hugs to all who need them and happy mothers day to all you mummys .

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Big Hugs to everyone on this thread, and everyone in similar situations.

Thank you for a lovely thread OP

Mr ddc

By *rishman75Man
over a year ago

Chessington/epsom

Thank you for your comments but I'm going to have to get through this day . Happy mother's day to all of you xxx

over a year ago

Beautiful post x

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Sadly it's a difficult day for my mum. My brother was killed 21 months ago.

The first Mothers' Day I didn't know what to do but I ended up taking her a card from both of us and some flowers. She cried but said after it was nice.

I'll do the same thing this year, (although I'm taking one of her favourite perfumes this time).

It's sad that sometimes a day meant for celebration can become a day of pain. There are so many ways a loss can impact on family and friends that you never think of until it happens.

over a year ago

"

It qualifies, no matter the length of time.

Bit hugs to you, happy Mother's Day x

over a year ago

Thank you Iona. Beautiful post. I can barely type through the tears. My beautiful mum lost her battle with cancer and was only on her 40s when we lost her, I miss her so much.

Lots of love to all of you gorgeous people who have lost their mum or child and Happy Mothers Day to all . Xxx

over a year ago

xxxxxxx

over a year ago

Wow I've gone as well. I lost mine the week after Dianas funeral and if it wasn't for that day I would have never seen her before she died.

I remember the day, we didn't argue for once abs I told her I loved her. Ten minutes later she was gone.

My heart goes out to all the posters and everyone who is not celebrating this day.

By *ona29Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

I lost my mum 3 years ago going to her funeral buy her flower to thank her,it is emotional day.

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

Bittersweet day for my family too. I'm lucky enough to still have my mum, and both my children but my mum recently lost her mum and is really struggling.

Being over 200 miles away isn't helping either of us but we can remember my Gran, and say thanks that we had her in our lives for so long.

Happy mother's day to all you wonderful mummy's out there xxxx

over a year ago

"

You had a baby lickety, so you qualify as a mummy. No matter how long he was with you. You will always be a mum xxx

over a year ago

Mother's Day has never really been a big thing in my family, nor has fathers days.

to us it is just another day. I let my mum know I am thankful of her often, so don't need a day to say it.

We all miss our loved ones, but we visit their graves often enough, and miss them always and often talk about them.

I feel it is another fad like Valentine's Day!

over a year ago

"Mother's Day has never really been a big thing in my family, nor has fathers days.

to us it is just another day. I let my mum know I am thankful of her often, so don't need a day to say it.

We all miss our loved ones, but we visit their graves often enough, and miss them always and often talk about them.

I feel it is another fad like Valentine's Day!"

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's an important point to raise. Too much sentiment and the realities of human relationships are glossed over.

It will have made you stronger in some ways im sure.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Mother's Day has never really been a big thing in my family, nor has fathers days.

I feel it is another fad like Valentine's Day!"

Fad? It's a Christian festival day. There's a special service for Mothering Sunday.

Post new Message to Thread