Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Uber Usa based taxi in the uk

Jump to newest

By *weetguy33 OP   Man
over a year ago

some where near you

Has anyone else seen or heard of the usa based taxi. Uber Its a app connects you to a driver with in 2/3 mins also credit cards only.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes. They were in the news a lot last summer.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Unregulated and risky by the sounds of it from what I've heard. Although this may be unfair as most of the horror stories were from abroad.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Black cabs were trying to get the app made illegal, weren't they? It's essentially soliciting by mini-cabs, but as the app now lets you pre-book (as I understand it) that should be OK.

over a year ago

Late night, Pissed, Nightclub, Strange car and a phone App....I don't see how this can possibly end badly

Gullible Gimp

By *afadaoMan
over a year ago

Staines

I've been using it for a while.

Fast, convenient, cheap. It's the way forward.

You can pre-book, follow your cab interactively on a map, call the driver at any time and they employ 40,000 drivers so huge access.

You card is automatically debited, you're sent a receipt and then you rate the service. No tips expected either - the drivers discourage it in fact.

over a year ago

"I've been using it for a while.

You can pre-book, follow your cab interactively on a map, call the driver at any time and they employ 40,000 drivers so huge access.

You card is automatically debited, you're sent a receipt and then you rate the service. No tips expected either - the drivers discourage it in fact."

I don't think they actually employ drivers, Not in this country anyway, This and the fact that you get your card debited automatically when you arrive would put me off anyway

Gimp

By *afadaoMan
over a year ago

Staines

You card is automatically debited, you're sent a receipt and then you rate the service. No tips expected either - the drivers discourage it in fact.

I don't think they actually employ drivers, Not in this country anyway, This and the fact that you get your card debited automatically when you arrive would put me off anyway Gimp"

No, they're independent drivers and Uber are contractors. Drivers can decide if and when they want to work for Uber, they just log on.

I've used them 20-30 times and found it a great service.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I don't think they actually employ drivers, Not in this country anyway, This and the fact that you get your card debited automatically when you arrive would put me off anyway Gimp

No, they're independent drivers and Uber are contractors. Drivers can decide if and when they want to work for Uber, they just log on.

I've used them 20-30 times and found it a great service."

Don't go giving us actual real life testimony.

over a year ago

Most of my London based friends use it. It might find it harder to get a foothold in other cities where minicabs are already plentiful, regulated and cheap. The two firms I use in Newcastle already have tracking and booking apps and have had for a few years.

over a year ago

I've used Uber a few times but much prefer Kabbee for two reasons.

1 - Once you enter your journey details, you're given a list of named firms to select from. You can sort by price, distance from you, time to arrive, or rating. So they don't just send you any driver, and you find out once you've confirmed your booking like with Uber.

2 - The price quoted is the price you pay. I dislike Uber's "estimated fare". I used them again a few weeks ago. The fare I paid ended up being over 40% more than they quote. I know it's and estimate but given people use such apps due to the price - aswell as the availability, I think that's a bit

And no, I don't work for Kabbee

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Wasn't there something to do with the app, and either credit card fraud or women getting raped by the drivers.

Can't remember the full story.

over a year ago

I use one when i'm in Cheshire. It's fairly good but as with any mobile technology falls down when out of a decent data signal.

over a year ago

"Wasn't there something to do with the app, and either credit card fraud or women getting raped by the drivers.

Can't remember the full story."

More than one story and yes to both, It has quite a bad reputation in a few countries now.

Gimp

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I feel a bit sorry for the London cabbies, personally.

over a year ago

If you are happy getting in a cab with a driver without a full CRB check then go ahead.

Uber drivers only need a certificate of good conduct. And even then it has been proven that they don't even check these.

Uber drivers are also using an illegal metre in London. This issue is being raised at the high court. The mayor and deputy mayor are against Uber.

TFL only gave them a licence to operate through a mistake, they admitted lying as to the inquiries they made as to the meter issue.

I could go on, but in the long term it's all about quality and price.

Would you rather a professional driving you who has a full CRB every three years who drives a purpose built vehicle. Or just have any old Herbert turn up who has never driven in London and may have only had a drivers license for a week and who can basically charge whatever he pleases.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"Has anyone else seen or heard of the usa based taxi. Uber Its a app connects you to a driver with in 2/3 mins also credit cards only. "

I use it all the time in the USA but as I rarely get cabs in the UK I have not tried it at home. In the US, cars have to be under three years old and car and driver must be insured and registered with Uber. All travel by the car is tracked by Uber and the price is at least two thirds the cost of a regular cab and no tipping required.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"If you are happy getting in a cab with a driver without a full CRB check then go ahead.

Uber drivers only need a certificate of good conduct. And even then it has been proven that they don't even check these.

Uber drivers are also using an illegal metre in London. This issue is being raised at the high court. The mayor and deputy mayor are against Uber.

TFL only gave them a licence to operate through a mistake, they admitted lying as to the inquiries they made as to the meter issue.

Would you rather a professional driving you who has a full CRB every three years who drives a purpose built vehicle. Or just have any old Herbert turn up who has never driven in London and may have only had a drivers license for a week and who can basically charge whatever he pleases. "

Your apocalyptic assumption does not match the reality of my personal experience. Uber is a high tech evolution (revolution?) of the taxi/cab industry and I am totally convinced that the revolution will prevail.

Just because taxi's have always been licensed and operated in a certain way does not mean that they should always be.

over a year ago

"If you are happy getting in a cab with a driver without a full CRB check then go ahead.

Would you rather a professional driving you who has a full CRB every three years who drives a purpose built vehicle. Or just have any old Herbert turn up who has never driven in London and may have only had a drivers license for a week and who can basically charge whatever he pleases.

Your apocalyptic assumption does not match the reality of my personal experience. Uber is a high tech evolution (revolution?) of the taxi/cab industry and I am totally convinced that the revolution will prevail.

Just because taxi's have always been licensed and operated in a certain way does not mean that they should always be. "

India , Thailand , Spain , The Netherlands , China and Germany have all banned Uber with many other countries considering a ban including many states in the USA. Australia is currently reviewing uber's license after they were charging up to ten times the metered rate after the terrorists attacks in Sydney.

According to Reuters, Uber drivers have said they were only asked for their driving licenses, proof of address and car registration documents. One driver told the agency that he was never interviewed by Uber and the travel company where he works completed all the formalities on his behalf.

Post new Message to Thread