FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Showers. Which is better . Tiles or Aquabord ?

Jump to newest

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

I am thinking of installing a new shower and am undecided as to whether to use tiles or aquabord. In other houses I have always used tiles as I believe they may last longer and are less susceptible to damage if care is not taken when cleaning . However Aquabord gives a clean surface with no grout and is quicker to install. My other concern with Aqubord is that if water gets behind the saurface will it go rotten atbp the back and is the surface at the front easily damaged .

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Only ever fit one shower with aqua board and it was in an en suite...right pain trying to manoeuvre the two boards in there.

It looked nice once finished but i wouldn't say it's easier than tiles, certainly not in my experience.

Marble or stone tiles everytime for me. We have some gorgeous stone tiles currently adorning our bathroom

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

"Only ever fit one shower with aqua board and it was in an en suite...right pain trying to manoeuvre the two boards in there.

It looked nice once finished but i wouldn't say it's easier than tiles, certainly not in my experience.

Marble or stone tiles everytime for me. We have some gorgeous stone tiles currently adorning our bathroom "

I used tiles on one shower and spent a lot of money on special drill bits in an attempt to drill through them. I have some lovely patterned tiles as well ..

over a year ago

Tiled for def

over a year ago

Installing a proper backer board aqua board (not the stuff you mean)

Fitted correctly will give a waterproof seal before its tiled or whatever.

Then tile over the top of.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

Ohhh I have been chewing over this idea of aquaboard rather than tile. I want to re do my downstairs shower. The mould is a pain to keep off and grout always looks dirty.Some tiles I see dont seem to havemuch grout between. Spose I should go talk to someone. They have the board at Kestrels and it certainly looks cleaner.

over a year ago

Tiles

over a year ago

Tiled for sure , as you said if water gets behind the aqua board your buggered so to speak . Large format tiles with 2mm grout lines looks so much nicer and far easier to keep clean .

over a year ago

Grower. Oops wrong thread

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

"Installing a proper backer board aqua board (not the stuff you mean)

Fitted correctly will give a waterproof seal before its tiled or whatever.

Then tile over the top of. "

. If using tiles , I have always used a cement based special plasterboard and never had any problems .

over a year ago

As a bathroom fitter I would use tiles.

The problem people have with tiles grouting before the adhesive as gone off. Also using the shower before the grouts gone off

By *lshere77Man
over a year ago

Wigan

What about using organic based products? They used to plaster their houses in mud and pig shit in the medieval times.....if it was good enough then I am sure that it would make an interesting feature in your bathroom. ...maybe even get Tony Robinson calling round too

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

"Tiled for sure , as you said if water gets behind the aqua board your buggered so to speak . Large format tiles with 2mm grout lines looks so much nicer and far easier to keep clean ."

Guess I must find a proper tiler and get advise then.. OH isnt great at cleaning up after himself . I want something I can wipe clean and not go all black and manky .

My main problem is shower is in bird room so I cannot use any cleaners because of the fumes.

over a year ago

"Tiled for sure , as you said if water gets behind the aqua board your buggered so to speak . Large format tiles with 2mm grout lines looks so much nicer and far easier to keep clean .

Guess I must find a proper tiler and get advise then.. OH isnt great at cleaning up after himself . I want something I can wipe clean and not go all black and manky .

My main problem is shower is in bird room so I cannot use any cleaners because of the fumes. "

Can you use the more organic cleaners, such as the 'Method' ones?

over a year ago

Oh, and Tiles. Absolutely tiles.

For the love of god, if you're having a shower tray spend some money on it. Enamelled Steel, Ceramic or resin.

The cheap acrylic plastic ones will move, split and generally be a pain in the ass.

(Note - Ceramic ones are very heavy and your floor may require re-enforcing if its going upstairs).

By *rank EinsteinMan
over a year ago

Burton upon stather

Golden is the best Lololololol

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

"Oh, and Tiles. Absolutely tiles.

For the love of god, if you're having a shower tray spend some money on it. Enamelled Steel, Ceramic or resin.

The cheap acrylic plastic ones will move, split and generally be a pain in the ass.

(Note - Ceramic ones are very heavy and your floor may require re-enforcing if its going upstairs). "

I have a heavy ceramic / porcelin one now and yes I agree dont want plastic. Trouble is the colour is avacado lol I actually thought I would get a semi wet toom type thing tiled base and maybe a few inches deep so water can collect . we have a concrete floor and as the corner use to be out side there is a drain should be easy for an experienced plimber tiler I guess. will go to Just tiles and chat I suppose.. Cleaner no I use vinegar and sometimes steam when I can be bothered ...thanks

over a year ago

Hardibacker then tiles... Will last for years

By *r and mrs willingCouple
over a year ago

SOUTH WEST & WALES

You could think about glass panels instead of aqua board. Best thing we ever did ... well almost !

Post new Message to Thread