Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Job Hunting

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

After just being made redundant after 18 years I cannot believe the amount of bullshit and bollocks you have to go through to find another job. Who invented that thing called the CV what a pile of bollocks, I did mine and had it checked by a so called expert, they didn't like it, want £75 to write it again, they changed the order of two paragraphs in my personal statement and added a few bullet points it was on their computer I sneakily took a snapshot of the screen it on my phone, then told them I can think of better ways of wasting my money.

I ran my own department and was forced to work with agencies like Omega for the last 5 years and quite frankly they were useless, I reckon they used eeny meeny to decide who they sent us. Now I've got to deal with them to get another bloody job as all the companies round here do the same, I went for an interview (the same charlatans who tried to sell me my own CV) yesterday and the interviewer didn't didn't even know what the company made, I had to tell her, and we wonder why this country is in the shit.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eorgeyporgeyMan
over a year ago

Warrington

Its shit, there is light at the end of the tunnel. After 5 years temping I've just got a perm job.....keep ur head down....get on with it

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

it is tough out there. Cvs have been around for a long time though.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Your CV is there to sell yourself ive had interviews and job offers on the back of my CV. I hate job hunting though it can be such a deflating demoralising situation to go through. P.S I use bullet points on my CV

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I consider myself insanely lucky, I've never had to write a CV, never had a job interview or had to get references. That said, I do dread the day I have to go into the jobs marketplace.........reckon I'd be screwed.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I consider myself insanely lucky, I've never had to write a CV, never had a job interview or had to get references. That said, I do dread the day I have to go into the jobs marketplace.........reckon I'd be screwed.

"

Screwed! What kind of job are you looking for?

It is very tough, interview panels and assignments are routine for almost every job and it can make the most steely nerved person feel at a disadvantage.

All anyone can do is be the best they can be on the day and remember that they actually do need someone to do the job so it isn't all one way.

Having said that I'm registered on a website that deals solely in my profession, I've just spent the last hour trying to log in with no success.....I was using the employers log in page not my most shining hour

over a year ago

"Your CV is there to sell yourself ive had interviews and job offers on the back of my CV. I hate job hunting though it can be such a deflating demoralising situation to go through. P.S I use bullet points on my CV "

The thing is I don't think its few bullets point matter, actually I've used both my own and the bullet pointed one and mine is 6 nil.

What I object to is companies using unqualified people to do their hiring.

over a year ago

Reminds of the scene in the Office where David Brent throws half of the CVs in the bin "I don't want to employ anyone who is unlucky"

But on a serious note, if your CV is succinct, professionally presented and well written it will hopefully open a few doors.

By *in man 84Man
over a year ago

sheffield

I was in the same positions at Christmas. Renewed my CV and had the job center look at it. I applied for around 30 jobs and nothing. Changed my CV to basically bullet points and no personal info and I've got an interview today for a job that is 5grand more than my last job.

over a year ago

Try this Company -www.Taylor-cvs.co.uk.

I tried them last year and when I put my CV out I had 4 job offers. But I decided to stay and my current Company as I got promoted

By *eforfuncplCouple
over a year ago

Morecambe

"I was in the same positions at Christmas. Renewed my CV and had the job center look at it. I applied for around 30 jobs and nothing. Changed my CV to basically bullet points and no personal info and I've got an interview today for a job that is 5grand more than my last job.

"

Well done

Having sifted through candidates applications bullet points are a more to the point of what you have done rather than a long boring write up of what you've achieved makes it easier for the person scrutinising the application rather than long winded rubbish which makes you wanna sleep xx

Good luck xxxx

By *aulnorthumberlandMan
over a year ago

Blyth

Change your surname to something foreign then apply for a job at your local council or hospital

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Change your surname to something foreign then apply for a job at your local council or hospital "

I have a foreign surname so I don't need to change it, I haven't noticed it getting me more interviews than my friends though.

over a year ago

90% of jobs available are not advertised. Identify a company you WANT to work for and regardless of "vacancies" just write a letter/e-mail explaining why you think you are a good fit for them. Most of the time the CV will then be irrelevant.

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

If you go onto the National Careers Website, they have templates (free of charge) which you can utilise and which I use every day when giving careers advice.

over a year ago

"After just being made redundant after 18 years I cannot believe the amount of bullshit and bollocks you have to go through to find another job. Who invented that thing called the CV what a pile of bollocks, I did mine and had it checked by a so called expert, they didn't like it, want £75 to write it again, they changed the order of two paragraphs in my personal statement and added a few bullet points it was on their computer I sneakily took a snapshot of the screen it on my phone, then told them I can think of better ways of wasting my money."

Lets hope that the person you stole from, by wasting their time - refusing to pay them - and copying their work, didn't need that money to help them pay their bills. Eh?

over a year ago

"After just being made redundant after 18 years I cannot believe the amount of bullshit and bollocks you have to go through to find another job. Who invented that thing called the CV what a pile of bollocks, I did mine and had it checked by a so called expert, they didn't like it, want £75 to write it again, they changed the order of two paragraphs in my personal statement and added a few bullet points it was on their computer I sneakily took a snapshot of the screen it on my phone, then told them I can think of better ways of wasting my money.

Lets hope that the person you stole from, by wasting their time - refusing to pay them - and copying their work, didn't need that money to help them pay their bills. Eh?"

I suggest you vent your spleen at the burglars rather them person who caught the burglars.

I didn't waste their time, they approached me, they came back with my CV with a paragraph turned around and a few bullet points, and it took them two weeks. I don't think they're are worrying about their bills, they would be if I had anything to with it.

Who else are they conning.

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

"Who invented that thing called the CV what a pile of bollocks, "

OK, assuming it is a pile of bollocks, don't use one. Now what are you going to do?

over a year ago

You won't get a job at the moment because you're too bitter. Employers will see that you're an emotional wreck. Try self employment.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"After just being made redundant after 18 years I cannot believe the amount of bullshit and bollocks you have to go through to find another job. Who invented that thing called the CV what a pile of bollocks, I did mine and had it checked by a so called expert, they didn't like it, want £75 to write it again, they changed the order of two paragraphs in my personal statement and added a few bullet points it was on their computer I sneakily took a snapshot of the screen it on my phone, then told them I can think of better ways of wasting my money.

Lets hope that the person you stole from, by wasting their time - refusing to pay them - and copying their work, didn't need that money to help them pay their bills. Eh?

I suggest you vent your spleen at the burglars rather them person who caught the burglars.

I didn't waste their time, they approached me, they came back with my CV with a paragraph turned around and a few bullet points, and it took them two weeks. I don't think they're are worrying about their bills, they would be if I had anything to with it.

Who else are they conning. "

If you didn't want to use their services then you shouldn't but if you did use their service then you should pay for it. Using their service and not paying for it is theft. Nothing more and nothing less. Don't kid yourself your making some sort of a moral stand, your not, your just taking something you haven't paid for.

over a year ago

If you didn't want to use their services then you shouldn't but if you did use their service then you should pay for it. Using their service and not paying for it is theft. Nothing more and nothing less. Don't kid yourself your making some sort of a moral stand, your not, your just taking something you haven't paid for."

Not if I'm not satisfied I don't.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

On the other hand I do agree with the OP that a lot if these agencies are pretty rubbish and I wouldn't pay even £5 to any if them to write my CV for me. Most of them don't know there market and don't represent those they claim to be getting jobs for particularly well.

You also have to remember when using an employment agency that you are not their client. Their client (the people who are paying them) is the company that has the job; you are simply the commodity they are trying to sell to them. They're not working for you.

over a year ago

I ran my own department and was forced to work with agencies like Omega for the last 5 years and quite frankly they were useless, I reckon they used eeny meeny to decide who they sent us. Now I've got to deal with them to get another bloody job as all the companies round here do the same, I went for an interview (the same charlatans who tried to sell me my own CV) yesterday and the interviewer didn't didn't even know what the company made, I had to tell her, and we wonder why this country is in the shit."

Give it a couple more years and there will be yet another CV fashion. Probably go full circle and end up having to be written on parchment with a quill.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

If you didn't want to use their services then you shouldn't but if you did use their service then you should pay for it. Using their service and not paying for it is theft. Nothing more and nothing less. Don't kid yourself your making some sort of a moral stand, your not, your just taking something you haven't paid for.

Not if I'm not satisfied I don't."

If you're not satisfied with it then don't pay and DON'T USE IT. What you said you did was get an illegal copy of it if there website and then you used it. If it was so unsatisfactory why copy it and use it. If it's good enough to use then pay for it. If it's not satisfactory enough to pay for it then you shouldn't be using it.

over a year ago

"On the other hand I do agree with the OP that a lot if these agencies are pretty rubbish and I wouldn't pay even £5 to any if them to write my CV for me. Most of them don't know there market and don't represent those they claim to be getting jobs for particularly well.

You also have to remember when using an employment agency that you are not their client. Their client (the people who are paying them) is the company that has the job; you are simply the commodity they are trying to sell to them. They're not working for you."

It took them two weeks to change the order of two paragraphs and add bullet points, I bet you some office clerk did it five minutes after I asked hows it coming along. I repeat they offered to do it on approval, not good enough, not a moral stance.

Seeing it from both ends I assure you they're working for their own interests.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"On the other hand I do agree with the OP that a lot if these agencies are pretty rubbish and I wouldn't pay even £5 to any if them to write my CV for me. Most of them don't know there market and don't represent those they claim to be getting jobs for particularly well.

You also have to remember when using an employment agency that you are not their client. Their client (the people who are paying them) is the company that has the job; you are simply the commodity they are trying to sell to them. They're not working for you.

It took them two weeks to change the order of two paragraphs and add bullet points, I bet you some office clerk did it five minutes after I asked hows it coming along. I repeat they offered to do it on approval, not good enough, not a moral stance.

Seeing it from both ends I assure you they're working for their own interests.

"

Of course their working in their own interests. Why wouldn't they be. Surely everyone works primarily if not solely in their own interest.

The point is that they offered a service on approval. You claimed not to be happy with the results of their service and refused to pay for it. So far so good. However what you then did was steal the results of the service and used it any how. I really don't understand how you can't see that that is wrong.

By *lttattoocoupleCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

"Your CV is there to sell yourself ive had interviews and job offers on the back of my CV. I hate job hunting though it can be such a deflating demoralising situation to go through. P.S I use bullet points on my CV

The thing is I don't think its few bullets point matter, actually I've used both my own and the bullet pointed one and mine is 6 nil.

What I object to is companies using unqualified people to do their hiring."

What makes them unqualified? I often use agency work and have never had a problem. Your going to a shit agency and I think that's your problem

over a year ago

Your post just screams self entitlement.

over a year ago

"

Not if I'm not satisfied I don't."

If you weren't satisfied you shouldn't have taken a photo of their screen and made their amendments to your CV. Clearly you WERE satisfied otherwise you wouldn't have done that.

over a year ago

"

You also have to remember when using an employment agency that you are not their client. Their client (the people who are paying them) is the company that has the job; you are simply the commodity they are trying to sell to them. They're not working for you."

You become their client when you're earning enough money.

My partner has two employment agencies that he works with whenever he wants a new job - as do lots of people in the same industry as him. He phones them up after a year, 18 months at work and he says 'Alright guys, I'm looking for a pay rise. I want to do XYZ and these are my terms, could you find me a job please?' and then later that week the offers come in.

If you're not at that stage where people remember you by name, then you're small fry and they don't care. Because the employment agencies are after the bigger fish - or are hoping that you will be bigger fish in the future. That's why if you're young and bright the agencies will fawn over you - because they hope that you'll go back to them for your next job.

over a year ago

You have a CV on here. It's called your profile!

Do you put swinging down as a hobby on your job CV?

I didn't but my previous and current jobs, I did bring it up at interview.....no problem at all. My nickname at work....even with the directors is "swingerman".

over a year ago

"You have a CV on here. It's called your profile!

Do you put swinging down as a hobby on your job CV?

I didn't but my previous and current jobs, I did bring it up at interview.....no problem at all. My nickname at work....even with the directors is "swingerman"."

As a female employee, that would really make me feel quite uncomfortable at work.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"90% of jobs available are not advertised. Identify a company you WANT to work for and regardless of "vacancies" just write a letter/e-mail explaining why you think you are a good fit for them. Most of the time the CV will then be irrelevant."

I once rang up for a job and upset the Director involved. Apparently the person then in the job hadn't yet been told he'd been sacked!

Still, he phoned me back the following week with a different job offer.

OP, I'd say you're right to go with your own CV, so long as you make it snappy. One produced by a company is much more likely to be formulaic and therefore not stand out from the crowd. Besides, I always tailor my CV to each specific job application.

Good luck

Mr ddc

over a year ago

"

If you weren't satisfied you shouldn't have taken a photo of their screen and made their amendments to your CV. Clearly you WERE satisfied otherwise you wouldn't have done that."

I wasn't, and it had a spelling mistake.

Anyway they were trying to con me, they offered a service which was basically to plagiarise what I'd already done myself.

Never realised they were so popular. I've always held them in the same category as loan sharks and think companies that use them as being lazy.

over a year ago

"You won't get a job at the moment because you're too bitter. Employers will see that you're an emotional wreck. Try self employment."

I've only really read the OP but yes, it sounds like attitude could be one of your biggest barriers at the moment. What do you propose people use to decide who to interview if not a CV or application form? I've recruited recently and we had over a hundred applicants for one qualified position. Nobody has time to interview that many people or even have a chat with them on the phone, you've got to shortlist somehow.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

If you weren't satisfied you shouldn't have taken a photo of their screen and made their amendments to your CV. Clearly you WERE satisfied otherwise you wouldn't have done that.

I wasn't, and it had a spelling mistake.

Anyway they were trying to con me, they offered a service which was basically to plagiarise what I'd already done myself.

Never realised they were so popular. I've always held them in the same category as loan sharks and think companies that use them as being lazy."

Not sure why you wanted a photo of theirs then I don't know what kind of job you're in but I do know that cvs weren't always necessary for some and still aren't but most places request them now.

You are entitled to your opinion about companies that use cvs but it isn't commonly held

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Have you tried some specialized agencies, I have had some results from them in the past.

over a year ago

Good news, got a job offer, don't want it though, using my original CV.

over a year ago

" I went for an interview (the same charlatans who tried to sell me my own CV) "

^lol

over a year ago

Just feel like I have to add my experiences, I have been unemployed since the end of October last year, I am reasonably well qualified and have a sound work history. I have applied for over a thousand jobs, I have been insulted, lied to, had my Black Country accent sneered and I have been asked to work illegally. I was promised a three week temporary post just before Christmas, they started me but only gave me 7 hours over two days and then they didn't pay me. The treatment I have received from supposedly potential employers has been nothing short of atrocious. Anyone else been in a similar predicament?

Jack

By *inzi LTV/TS
over a year ago

The Garden of Eden in Beautiful North Wales

I've been outta work since last June and it's a bloody nightmare trying to get work unless your willing to wipe someone's arse or work for £6.50 per hour. The most annoying part is, that when you have gone to the trouble of creating a CV and then either sending it by Royal Mail or even email, the company rarely even send an acknowledgement but your supposed to bend over backwards to please them. Pure fucking ignorance!

Btw, I have got most of my jobs by simply knocking on their doors and asking personally, you get a much better response or even in your local pub, you'd be surprised how many leads you can get there.

Good Luck

Post new Message to Thread