By *arracks7Couple
over a year ago

Now in Warrington

no doubt me but they same it effects 1 n 4 peeps so u never no

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ig bad OP   Man
over a year ago

Up North :-)

£1500 for some to cough up! The tax man wants £100 a month from 6 million of us! What a bugger!

By *arracks7Couple
over a year ago

Now in Warrington

say not same

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

Now why would i find it upsetting that i pay lots of tax to pay fofr lazy fat fuckers to do shit cheapo courses at college so that they dont have to pay their way.

Or they have kids and get everything on a plate.

Or just become unemployalbe,

dyslexic, autistic.......

............oh fuck - i am giong onto whinging mode, lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"

Or just become unemployalbe,

dyslexic, i am giong "

Irony much?

I get rapped, dry I hasten to add, by the taxman each and every week and I've already had a substantial "rebate" (I use that word loosely as it was my money to begin with) last month.

No doubt that "rebate" will be taken back from me though, due to some never-to-be-disclosed error.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Bollocks who hasn't paid enough???"

love the topic big... did you read the entire article though....

1.8 million people have underpaid.... and will have special tax codes set up to claw it back...

however

4.3 million people have overpaid... and will start getting tax rebates next week......

so there are 2.5 million more winners than losers.....

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"£1500 for some to cough up! The tax man wants £100 a month from 6 million of us! What a bugger! "

big... not true...

hopefully my post above actually puts right the fallacy going around....

yes there are 6 million people affected... the 1.8 mil who will lose and the 4.3 mil who will gain....

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

there's also a post earlier today named "paye" with info on it

over a year ago

yeah there may be more winners but thats only worth 1.8 bn in payments while the cash they will get back is worth 2 bn goverment still wins!!!!!

over a year ago

I've gone back the word bollocks ..... it was much more soothing .

over a year ago

"yeah there may be more winners but thats only worth 1.8 bn in payments while the cash they will get back is worth 2 bn goverment still wins!!!!!"

It's not quite as straightforward as £2 billion in and £1.8 billion out. There's the not incondsiderable cost of actually administering the claw-backs and refunds. At the very least there's 6 billion letters to be printed, stuck in envelopes and posted.

That's before dealing with all the correspondence from those who don't think they should be paying money back and so on.

I'd be surprised if HMRC even manage to break even on the deal.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"At the very least there's 6 billion letters to be printed, stuck in envelopes and posted.

"

Surely that's an overestimate?

over a year ago

"At the very least there's 6 billion letters to be printed, stuck in envelopes and posted.

Surely that's an overestimate?"

You're right. It should have been 6 Million.

over a year ago

Surely that's an overestimate?"

You're right. It should have been 6 Million.

over a year ago

Million or billion its bad news for many people. If it costs more to collect than its worth why don't the government let it slide.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Million or billion its bad news for many people. If it costs more to collect than its worth why don't the government let it slide."

but then you leave yourself in a very awkward position....

if you are one of the 4.3 million people who have paid too much tax, if you are eligible for the tax rebate, are you going to say "i'll let it slide... you keep the money you have wrongly taken off me!"

not in a million years........

those 1.8 million people who have underpaid in tax may well fight it to the hilt... and if they have very compelling reasons then they may write it off....

I have been in that situation with working tax credits, where they kept giving me those after I have told them 4 times of my change of circumstances, I kept proof of the letters and phone calls I made....

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

You're right. It should have been 6 Million."

Indeed!

6 billion would be a letter to everyone on the planet, except those in Africa (give or take a few..)

over a year ago

"Million or billion its bad news for many people. If it costs more to collect than its worth why don't the government let it slide."

if the government didn't collect the money owed to them, there would be public outrage. they pursue it, there's outrage.

by law the government must collect taxes owed to them - simple!

over a year ago

The government can waive the obligation to collect taxes if they feel there was no intent by the taxpayer to defraud HMRC or if they believe there'd be genuine hardship if a tax debt was pursued.

The genuine hardship is a hard one to define and tends to produce different outcomes in different parts of the counry.

over a year ago

"The government can waive the obligation to collect taxes if they feel there was no intent by the taxpayer to defraud HMRC or if they believe there'd be genuine hardship if a tax debt was pursued.

The genuine hardship is a hard one to define and tends to produce different outcomes in different parts of the counry."

They seem to be far more liberal handing it out to people with open hands and a lack of intent to contribute them self to society.

over a year ago

I heard an accountant and a tax Lawyer talking about this on the radio earlier in the week. Anyone adversly affected can claim, under an obscure tax law called protocol a19, if you have no reason to believe that the wrong amount of tax had been paid at the time and that the revenue have taken too long to get in touch with you about it then the revenue should write off the balance.

Having worked on the collections team at HMRC I know how hard a sell it would be, but the protocol a19 is just about the only way to get out of it.

over a year ago

no doubt il be one of the ones who owe!! rather glad my nest friend is an accountant she can have a wee look at my paylines from last year etc and see if i owe anythin xx

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"The government can waive the obligation to collect taxes if they feel there was no intent by the taxpayer to defraud HMRC or if they believe there'd be genuine hardship if a tax debt was pursued.

The genuine hardship is a hard one to define and tends to produce different outcomes in different parts of the counry.

They seem to be far more liberal handing it out to people with open hands and a lack of intent to contribute them self to society."

Says "Libertine".

over a year ago

They seem to be far more liberal handing it out to people with open hands and a lack of intent to contribute them self to society.

Says "Libertine".

"

You have 'Liberalism' confused with 'Libertine'.

~

From WikiPedia:

"

A libertine is one devoid of most moral restraints, which are seen as unnecessary or undesirable, especially one who ignores or even spurns accepted morals and forms of behavior sanctioned by the larger society. The philosophy gained new-found adherents in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, particularly in France and Britain. Notable among these were John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, and the Marquis de Sade.

"Libertine" is defined today as "a dissolute person; usually a person who is morally unrestrained". Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand wrote that Joseph Bonaparte "sought only life's pleasures and easy access to libertinism" while on the throne of Naples"

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Says "Libertine".

You have 'Liberalism' confused with 'Libertine'.

~

From WikiPedia:

A libertine is one devoid of most moral restraints, which are seen as unnecessary or undesirable, especially one who ignores or even spurns accepted morals and forms of behavior sanctioned by the larger society. The philosophy gained new-found adherents in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, particularly in France and Britain. Notable among these were John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, and the Marquis de Sade.

"Libertine" is defined today as "a dissolute person; usually a person who is morally unrestrained". Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand wrote that Joseph Bonaparte "sought only life's pleasures and easy access to libertinism" while on the throne of Naples"

No. I don't.

over a year ago

ive not heard anything about my tax either way

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 06/09/10 12:06:28]

over a year ago

Since there are so many cases outstanding, letters are being isued now, but the last demands might not go out untill the new year..............

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

You're right. It should have been 6 Million."

Turns out it's more than 6 million.

My cheque came separate to the advisory letter

(Btw, this was auto-calculated - I didn't apply as I had no reason to believe I was likely to be affected)

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"They seem to be far more liberal handing it out to people with open hands and a lack of intent to contribute them self to society."

When it comes to tax, and rebates, surely these ARE the people contributing to society? Otherwise they wouldn't have (over)paid tax in the first place...

Or have I misunderstood this post?

over a year ago

i also had paid too much and received a nice little cheque in the post

over a year ago

is it only affecting PAYE or are us self employed tax fiddlers gonna get a shock too?

over a year ago

"no doubt il be one of the ones who owe!! rather glad my nest friend is an accountant she can have a wee look at my paylines from last year etc and see if i owe anythin xx"

blimey they must have overtaxed you if you have to live in a nest and share it with a friend.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"is it only affecting PAYE or are us self employed tax fiddlers gonna get a shock too?"

Just PAYE - you cash in hand-ers are unaffected.

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

Too right, I pay a slimey accountnat to ensure I pay the absolute minimum tax possible, he saves me a fortune (which I then spend on silly cars and Coke. Yay!)

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Too right, I pay a slimey accountnat to ensure I pay the absolute minimum tax possible, he saves me a fortune (which I then spend on silly cars and Coke. Yay!)"

Diet Cherry?

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

...Don't Steal!

The Government Hates Competition!

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

"Too right, I pay a slimey accountnat to ensure I pay the absolute minimum tax possible, he saves me a fortune (which I then spend on silly cars and Coke. Yay!)

Diet Cherry?"

Oh, of course, I'm a clean-living healthy lad,honest.

By *ung and readyMan
over a year ago

newcastle under lyme

every time a helicopter gunship fires 1 round it is at a cost of 20 to 30 thousand £'s.

they can carry up to 6 that i know of

this is where your money is going.

I am not against war just realistic.

people don't want to get their hands dirty so who does the work .

we have closed all major industry.

moved it to malaysia china japan .

we are just shop keepers now .

just like arkwright.lol

over a year ago

I know I won't be paying them anymore money I have just had a rebate of £6500 so I don't think I am going to be affected lol

over a year ago

As an Accountant all I can say is you can not avoid tax - but there are ways to reduce your tax bill. Happy to help if anyone wants personal advise.

over a year ago

What I would like to know is why people are not out on the street complaining about the £Billions that are avoided and evaded by rich people like our chancellor and prime minister and the large businesses like vodaphone. Lynch an accountant or two and see the tax reciepts rocket

over a year ago

"Bollocks who hasn't paid enough???"

no letter yet

Post new Message to Thread