Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Before the internet

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I often wonder what we did without the internet, im not talking about for entertainment purposes but for things like research.

I have to have an operation and last month the doctor sent me away to do some research. I found out so much stuff and also websites that people who had had the operation commented on. Even found out the waiting list length in my area. All this without moving from my living room. So when i went in to day there was just a couple of quick questions before hes sent the referel.

Not just that but if someone has an illness/disease they dont have to take what their doctor says as gospel they can look up so much and different schools of thought.

After all this time it never seizes to amaze me the wonders of the internet

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

slow death for libraries

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Yes it really is amazing and something that we now take for granted.

You can plan things so much better, find out if something is feasible.

Can anyone who has used the net now imagine life without it?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Totally agree Diamond, without the Internet I would not have been able to open my business nor find the suppliers from the Continent to supply my business to the extent that they do.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Totally agree Diamond, without the Internet I would not have been able to open my business nor find the suppliers from the Continent to supply my business to the extent that they do."

And soon, with your website up, you'll be able to reach more customers.

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"slow death for libraries "

I use my library frequently but it would have to be a pretty big library to hold all the information that you can get on the internet

over a year ago

"slow death for libraries "

Don't you believe it. Siren works in that sector and it's thriving.

The Library service doesn't offer just books anymore, it's a place for information and most libraries have internet access now and they'll teach you how to search effectively for what you're looking for if you ask them.

over a year ago

if i had a local library i would use it but i dont so it good ole internet for me unless it uni stuff then i use the uni library! kiddo a member of library at my mums so she can get books out when she up there x

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

"I often wonder what we did without the internet, im not talking about for entertainment purposes but for things like research.

I have to have an operation and last month the doctor sent me away to do some research. I found out so much stuff and also websites that people who had had the operation commented on. Even found out the waiting list length in my area. All this without moving from my living room. So when i went in to day there was just a couple of quick questions before hes sent the referel.

Not just that but if someone has an illness/disease they dont have to take what their doctor says as gospel they can look up so much and different schools of thought.

After all this time it never seizes to amaze me the wonders of the internet"

mmm... be VERY CAREFUL when using the Internet for research into medical conditions etc.. don't forget anybody can write any shit on a website, they don't have to be an expert or a doctor just any old 'Quack'.

I have a serious back complaint and I to did some research on it, just got more confused! many due to different approaches from both different doctors and also the UK and the USA.

Also the blogs from people with the same or similar complaints can also be misleading, just because you have had 'X' operation doesn't make you an expert, everyone's experience is different.

One negative thing about the Internet is 'information overload' or too much information, so it becomes more difficult to find fact from fiction.

While their are some excellent sites out there they are written by experts in their field and often you can get this information via leaflets at either the hospital or from these organisations themselves, so it's still possible without the Internet.

Remember we all lived quite happily before the Internet, mobile phones, cars etc.......

over a year ago

Yes if you don't like what you've got you can always chose another illness where the symptoms match!!

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Totally agree Diamond, without the Internet I would not have been able to open my business nor find the suppliers from the Continent to supply my business to the extent that they do."

You in the Web Design business?

over a year ago

Log on was adding wood to a fire

Hard drive was a long trip on the road

A mouse pad was where a mouse lived

And a backup happened to your commode!

Cut--you did with a pocket knife

Paste you did with glue

A web was a spider's home

And a virus was the flu!

I guess I'll stick to my pad and paper

And the memory in my head

I hear nobody's been killed in a computer crash

But when it happens they wish they were dead!

over a year ago

Just remember the best and worst aspect of the internet.

BEST Anyone can put whatever they want on there.

WORST Anyone can put whatever they want on there.

By *onny BonesMan
over a year ago

a block away from heaven

"Log on was adding wood to a fire Hard drive was a long trip on the road A mouse pad was where a mouse lived And a backup happened to your commode! Cut--you did with a pocket knife Paste you did with glue A web was a spider's home And a virus was the flu! I guess I'll stick to my pad and paper And the memory in my head I hear nobody's been killed in a computer crash But when it happens they wish they were dead!"

By *onny BonesMan
over a year ago

a block away from heaven

"I often wonder what we did without the internet, im not talking about for entertainment purposes but for things like research. I have to have an operation and last month the doctor sent me away to do some research. I found out so much stuff and also websites that people who had had the operation commented on. Even found out the waiting list length in my area. All this without moving from my living room. So when i went in to day there was just a couple of quick questions before hes sent the referel. Not just that but if someone has an illness/disease they dont have to take what their doctor says as gospel they can look up so much and different schools of thought. After all this time it never seizes to amaze me the wonders of the internet"
Best wishes with the op

over a year ago

"I often wonder what we did without the internet, im not talking about for entertainment purposes but for things like research.

................."

The great thing about using the internet for research into medical stuff, provided you do as has been advised above about not believing everything you read, is that the info is usually bang up to date in a way you wouldn't find elsewhere unless you subscribed to The Lancet or similar.

By *ifferentClassMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Can't believe nobody's mentioned pre-internet swinging! lol

over a year ago

"Can't believe nobody's mentioned pre-internet swinging! lol"

Pre-internet swinging is much like post-internet swinging except it took a lot longer, was a lot more expensive and attracted even more wannabees.

over a year ago

some of us not that old!!

over a year ago

Actually, i wonder more how teachers and tutors manage. I finished my masters in 1994, before most uni's had more than simple email - and all my education before that involved research.

Now you can google everything. But how do schools know it's your work and not a copy and paste job?

By *onny BonesMan
over a year ago

a block away from heaven

I have often wondered the same.

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Actually, i wonder more how teachers and tutors manage. I finished my masters in 1994, before most uni's had more than simple email - and all my education before that involved research.

Now you can google everything. But how do schools know it's your work and not a copy and paste job?"

It's pretty easy for them to detect, because human beings are fundamentally stoopid - kids cheating at skool will all hand in the same essay, or leave the web address at the top of the page etc.

At uni, they can tell whether you "know" your subject and are very alert to what's out there on the net for a cut and paste degree - though there's still a lot of it goes on - but then most people are doing degrees these days which arent worth squat anyway, and there's no jobs for the after graduation, so it's all a bit of a no sum game really.

over a year ago

"Actually, i wonder more how teachers and tutors manage. I finished my masters in 1994, before most uni's had more than simple email - and all my education before that involved research.

Now you can google everything. But how do schools know it's your work and not a copy and paste job?

It's pretty easy for them to detect, because human beings are fundamentally stoopid - kids cheating at skool will all hand in the same essay, or leave the web address at the top of the page etc.

At uni, they can tell whether you "know" your subject and are very alert to what's out there on the net for a cut and paste degree - though there's still a lot of it goes on - but then most people are doing degrees these days which arent worth squat anyway, and there's no jobs for the after graduation, so it's all a bit of a no sum game really.

"

Well thank god they are turning 100s of 1000s away this year

About time having a degree meant something again!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Now you can google everything. But how do schools know it's your work and not a copy and paste job?"

I finished a course at uni last year and they had just put in place anti plagarism softwear that scans all referencing in students written work this gives a % at the end which shows how much of an assignment are actually the individuals work or just copied from the references

Too high and you fail for plagarism

Too low and you fail for using your own opinion and not your references properly

over a year ago

"

It's quite straightforward to copy a pice of submitted text from an essay (or a post on Fab) and find the source - often wiki or similar. Some do a bit of judicious word or tense rearranging but the key words usually remain.

over a year ago

I finished a course at uni last year and they had just put in place anti plagarism softwear that scans all referencing in students written work this gives a % at the end which shows how much of an assignment are actually the individuals work or just copied from the references

Too low and you fail for using your own opinion and not your references properly"

Thats pretty cool. Technology eh!

over a year ago

Too low and you fail for using your own opinion and not your references properly"

cool saved me typin that lol!! x

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Too low and you fail for using your own opinion and not your references properly

cool saved me typin that lol!! x"

As you didnt even bother to do the typing, i can only give you a 2:2 for that.

over a year ago

As you didnt even bother to do the typing, i can only give you a 2:2 for that."

a pass is a pass!! the words of the desperate and losing hope!! x

over a year ago

Books and libraries spring to mind.

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

As you didnt even bother to do the typing, i can only give you a 2:2 for that.

a pass is a pass!! the words of the desperate and losing hope!! x "

Of course if you want to come into my office and close the door, i'm sure we could dicuss a 2:1.

*zip*

Post new Message to Thread